Sam's Club Reviews

1,060 Reviews
1,060 Reviews

Sam's Club President and CEO Rosalind G. Brewer
Rosalind G. Brewer

Pros
  • Good pay and benefits are possible while improving your customer service skills (in 45 reviews)

• The oppurtunity to learn every aspect of the job and business Decent pay and benefits (in 33 reviews)

Cons
  • Once you become salaried forget having work life balance (in 24 reviews)

• The one thing I got tired of was the constant push for Plus memberships or credit applications (in 52 reviews)

More Highlights

Good

Current Employee - Membership Associate  in  Lansing, MI (US)
    Current Employee - Membership Associate in Lansing, MI (US)

I have been working at Sam's Club part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great family atmosphere, very friendly

Cons

Selling credit and plus memberships is #1 priority and gets in the way of customer service

Don't cut hours for people just to get a bigger Sam's Share, it hurts customer service and quality of employees.

AWESOME!

Current Employee - Member Service Supervisor  in  Port Huron, MI (US)
    Current Employee - Member Service Supervisor in Port Huron, MI (US)

I have been working at Sam's Club part-time for less than a year

Pros

Lots of room to move up!
    Great wages!
    Friendly environment

Cons

VERY BUSY ALL THE TIME!!

More one on one talks needed

Good work experience.

Current Employee - Cashier  in  Owasso, OK (US)
    Current Employee - Cashier in Owasso, OK (US)

I have been working at Sam's Club part-time for less than a year

Pros

It is somewhat decent pay.

Cons

They don't give enough hours.

Don't be buttholes.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

senior leaders step on associates at any cost
    The open door is a failure

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Sam's Club

Pros

A lot of good people around

Cons

CEO must make be visible

Don't hire people because you like them only
    Listen listen listen and truly listen to associates below your direct reports
    Don't take advantage of weaker associates by stepping all over them
    Don't lead by fear and intimidation. Listen to SAM Walton
    Don't take advantage of your high position with the company and step on lower band associates because you don't like them
    Don't align with the people division to device a plan to get rid of good associates
    Don't lie to your upper leaders that you are holding people accountable but you are actually using accountability as an excuse to get rid of someone

Great People, Bad Jobs

Current Employee - Cart Associate  in  Lexington-Fayette, KY (US)
    Current Employee - Cart Associate in Lexington-Fayette, KY (US)

I have been working at Sam's Club part-time for less than a year

Pros

They have wonderful, nice people working for them. They have plenty of jobs to choose from. They have some nice benefits as well. If you want time off, it's first come, first serve so that way if you're new and ask first and a guy who has seniority asks 2nd, you will get it over the seniority. I think that's pretty great to have.

Cons

I didn't sign up for Cart Associate but was put under that anyways.

I was signed under part-time but they gave me hours like I was full time. I'm borderline full time.

Cart Associates are the lowest pay grade even though they work hard; pushing the carts through whatever weather comes through 7 hours a day, rushing themselves to make sure no member has to wait for a cart (The cart room clears up QUICK), getting flatbeds for customers to use, and helping members load their cars. Cart Associates get paid 8$ an hour, the same pay for a member greeter who stands at the entrance and exit, checking cards or checking receipts. Personally, I am not physically able to do the job and feel like I am destroying my body as I do the job. I know no job comes easy, but the rate of pay with the physical capabilities of this job is not worth it. I am glad they don't pay minimum wage, but at the same time the pay is too low for Carts.

Only way to switch to in-store jobs is to make sure you let them know what jobs you want on the WIRE, their closed network. They will let you know when one is open and interview you again to see if you would be good for the job. Kinda like getting rehired for the company.

They also have a lot of self-entitled jerks as customers, not all of them but a lot of them.

Over all, I am on the edge of quitting. Too many cons to out weigh the pros. Coming from a major upbeat, optimistic guy, I feel the effects of this company making me more and more pessimist.

Raise the pay a little for Cart Associates. They deserve it for half the stuff they do. Also, don't immediately put someone under a job if they never signed up for it in the first place.

Connection center associate

Former Employee - Connection Center  in  Austin, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Connection Center in Austin, TX (US)

I worked at Sam's Club part-time for less than a year

Pros

Higher pay rate for a sales associate

Cons

Not much to do during shift. Too much down time

Great 9 year experience, but difficult to get a full-time position.

I worked at Sam's Club for more than 8 years

Pros

- Level of communication with management varies. The current group of managers is the most friendly and approachable that I have been around during my 9 years at this club.
    - Able to trade shifts with agreeing coworkers.
    - Associate recognitions: Associate of the month, drawings for gift cards as reward for store accident free days, morning meeting recognitions, "high-five" $5 reward and pin for standout achievements.
    - Good 401k plan and also matching stock purchase program.
    - While I was attending college, Sam's worked well with my availability (part-time) and that is one of the major reasons I have stayed as long as I did. If you are part-time you can usually get your requested availability as long as you are not asking for both Saturday AND Sunday off. Asking for one of those days is usually ok.
    - If you are full-time, you will most likely be on a rotating schedule and you need to have open availability, so your days off will be different each week, as well as your shift times and days. Therefore, if you are going to college, it will be much easier to get the work schedule you need, by being part-time.
    - Do what is expected of you and management will listen to your needs. You help them, they help you.

Cons

- Management changes their department assignments a couple of times per year it seems, so getting consistency with managers who are knowledgeable of your department, to be able to ask questions and stand up for policy, is a work in progress.
    - Company is trying to cut costs, so it is very difficult to be able to get a full-time position. The number of Team lead associates have also been cut and therefore there are fewer team leads who are each now responsible for more than one area, in order to fill the gap (w/ slight pay increase).
    - Depending on your department (cashiers most heavily) you will be pushed with weekly goals of telling members about credit cards and membership upgrades and you will have a weekly one-on-one meeting with a check-out supervisor (COS) regarding your weekly goals.
    - It can be frustrating at times when we are trained to uphold certain policy or rules (not just company policy but also certain state law), then members/customers go complain to management and management allows them to do as they wish. This is often simply due to management not being aware of certain policies or rules that the associates/employees have been trained in through the computer-based learning modules and longer experience in the department. But this is applicable to many businesses, not just Sam's Club.
    - Pay is lower than Costco. You will receive you annual review each year with a chance for a 60 cent raise if you achieve the highest possible category of rating on your review. Otherwise, pay raises will come through moving into positions that are on a higher pay scale.
    - Sam's Club, being a Warehouse-type store versus a typical retail store like Wal-Mart or Target, does generally pay more than typical retail stores, but not as much as Costco (as mentioned above).

Excellent Company to work for

Former Employee - Customer Service  in  Atlanta, GA (US)
    Former Employee - Customer Service in Atlanta, GA (US)

I worked at Sam's Club part-time for more than a year

Pros

Benefits, Management, Promotions, Great Co Workers, Clean Environment

Cons

Hours, Schedules, Salary, Customers can be rude, Work late on holidays

Make sure that you advance the people that deserve it and not overlook them

Love this company an its culture

I have been working at Sam's Club full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The people and the commitment that they have to their business. Non-Union mentality, Open Door Policy

Cons

Just a few things but that would be the case with any company.

None

(Field internship) Perfect intern environment

Former Employee - Field Operations Intern  in  Orange Park, FL (US)
    Former Employee - Field Operations Intern in Orange Park, FL (US)

I worked at Sam's Club as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Very welcoming environment, learned a lot, and they were very supportive.

Cons

Sometimes the members were not very nice

Continue doing what you do

Worked for Sam's Club? Contribute to the Community!