Sam's Club

2.9
1,197 Reviews

Sam's Club President and CEO Rosalind G. Brewer
Rosalind G. Brewer

Pros
  • Good pay and benefits are possible while improving your customer service skills (in 49 reviews)

• Decent pay if your salaried compared to other retailers (in 40 reviews)

Cons
  • As management sometimes work/life balance is not where it needs to be (in 32 reviews)

• Also it is very difficult to get a full time position unless you're willing to work overnight (in 57 reviews)

More Highlights

I am working at Walmart since 2006 and I would like to work at Sam's Club or any large company.

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Richmond, VA (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Richmond, VA (US)

I have been working at Sam's Club full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I enjoy working at Electronics. because I've been working in it for almost six years. I enjoy working with technology.

Cons

The cons of working at Walmart are that they do not provide a good salary.

You should encourage the employees and have a good communication with their employees.

Great company to work for while in college.

Former Employee - Sales Floor Associate in San Marcos, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Floor Associate in San Marcos, TX (US)

I worked at Sam's Club

Pros

Good pay, school/work balance, free food, and the hours weren't long.

Cons

They want you to take the job a lot more serious than it really is or was.

Generally a good place to work, great movement opportunities, flexible scheduling, decent yearly raises.

Former Employee - Membership Associate, Front End Cashier, Sales Floor Associate

I worked at Sam's Club full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Most of management was great, eager to listen to problems and fix them, coachings were constructive. Training was effective and revolving.

Cons

Hours during holidays get extended, working some holidays, a few managers played favoritism, difficult to get full time and 40 hours. Some of the more physical jobs were difficult.

some managers helped employees with tasks when overwhelmed, while others didnt. The managers I respected the most helped, and used constructive coachings. Make sure every management personnel is knowledgable on all policies and procedures, because those who weren't knowledgable weren't helpful.

24 yeats of service to a solid company that takes care of customers and employees

I worked at Sam's Club full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great company, solid opportunities, great benefits and superior culture of custmer service and associate respect.

Cons

Labor costs are huting customer service

Pretty Good

I have been working at Sam's Club

Pros

Lovely co-workers. And most of the time, the members were pleasant. And they were fairly flexible with hours. And my managers all loved me.

Cons

I was hired as a part-time employee, but I was working 40+ hours a week. But I was only getting paid as a part-timer, so that made me annoyed. And the place in Florence is really under-staffed so it was frustrating.

If you're understaffed, hire more people instead of working your current employees to death.

A positive corporate life, the legacy of Sam Walton, and loyalty to their associates

Former Employee - Middle Management in Bentonville, AR (US)
    Former Employee - Middle Management in Bentonville, AR (US)

I worked at Sam's Club full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The best part about working for Walmart Stores, Inc. at the corporate level is their commitment to and investment in their associates. Once you are a part of their family, you are there to stay—so long as you work hard, of course. They provide a number of personal and otherwise growth opportunities, many at the company's expense, and the legacy of Sam Walton looms large (and this is a very good thing). A very friendly corporate environment, executives that are not "above it all," and a regular celebration of both associates and company success.

Cons

It can be difficult to advance in the company past middle management unless you have the right connections or fit the right HR profile. Compensation raises at a slow, trickling rate unless you change jobs (which can only occur after 18 months in your current role). This results in an odd environment where most people have been doing their job for less than 18 months—not exactly the best way to maintain consistency across the board. This also damages relationships with third parties and suppliers.

Reevaluate if current HR policies actually help ensure fairness or if it's just another form of discrimination. Reevaluate compensation and raise policies, so you can incentivize associates to become experts in their fields, rather than always looking for their next job every 12-18 months. Spend less time focusing on competing with Costco, and more on what Sam's Club does best. Think about better places to expand and cut-off the competition in the lower 48.

Great Place to Learn!

Former Employee - Team Leader in Virginia Beach, VA (US)
    Former Employee - Team Leader in Virginia Beach, VA (US)

I worked at Sam's Club

Pros

Opportunities to learn sales, customer service, retail, marketing.
    Caring management, guidance, positive office culture.

Cons

Really not applicable, had a great experience!

Keep up the great work!

it gets busy and slow but you always have something to do, so your never bored.

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Laredo, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Laredo, TX (US)

I have been working at Sam's Club full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The investment in stocks, benefits, the pay grade, yearly raise, and yearly bonus

Cons

I have not seen any down sides other than not having enough hand held terminals, the computer system crashes a lot, not able to do overtime, and not enough hours for Sam's Clubs

should give clubs more hours to distribute amongst workers and allow overtime, need to fix system problems, and give clubs more hand held terminals.

Great people

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Durham, NC (US)
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Durham, NC (US)

I worked at Sam's Club full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Growth opportunities networking changes to better business

Cons

Not a lot of help

N\a

It was okay. The supervisors were very messy.

Former Employee - Cashier in Jackson, MS (US)
    Former Employee - Cashier in Jackson, MS (US)

I worked at Sam's Club

Pros

You got to meet some nice customers.

Cons

No discounts and short breaks.