Samsung Group

Samsung Group Reviews

Updated Jul 29, 2014

Samsung Group CEO & Vice-Chairman Dr. Oh-Hyun Kwon

Dr. Oh-Hyun Kwon

Pros
  • The only good thing about Samsung is the good salary (in 56 reviews)

• Good work/life balance, good management (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • work life balance is a joke - if you want to shorten your life by half come work here (in 92 reviews)

• No Work life balance - expect to work 60-80 hours every week if you don't want to fall behind (in 34 reviews)

More Highlights

Just because its "Samsung" doesn't mean its a great place to work!

Manager Retail (Former Employee) Sydney

ProsInnovative products

ConsNo communication between departments!
    Management don't have a clue on what is going on in the retail field!
    Management care more about reporting than creating relationships in store
    Its all about KPI's with reports

Advice to Senior ManagementIts great to give advise but actually spend a week in field to learn about the challenges, what you read on paper is not always the same as some managers will sugar coat the situation in order to look good.

Hard Work

Cal Centre (Current Employee) Sydney

ProsThe only good thing at Samsung was the pay which was ok.

ConsNo work/life balance. More hours work than in a day.

Untrustworthy Culture

Learning & Development (Former Employee) Sydney

ProsThe people I worked with were great, we had a leadership team that did it's best to implement a team environment.

ConsIt was apparent some of the projects I was involved with were being driven from a place of mistrust in it's people.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Toxic racist company where only Koreans are heard

Marketing Manager (Former Employee) Sydney

ProsGreat brand to work on undergoing massive growth so huge opportunities.

ConsToxic work culture with no work/life balance. Bullies as managers.

Advice to Senior ManagementAllow locals who actually understand the market to have more input. Respect local culture.

Extraordinary innovative technologies – incompetent B2B engagement

Enterprise Business Development (Former Employee)

ProsInnovative products
    Reasonable base compensation
    Supportive and smart co-workers

ConsManagement has a very limited understanding of the Australian B2B ecosystem
    Attempting to build an Enterprise Business based on Consumer Business practices
    Sales management is disorganised.
    Management are obsessed with internal meetings, reporting and training at the expense of customer meetings
    Limited internal IT systems for an Enterprise sales force - the backend is all consumer orientated.
    Nonexistent work life balance

Advice to Senior ManagementEmployee leaders in the management team who understand Enterprise Business.
    Make management accountable for their actions
    Implement a culture of trust and respect
    Focus on the customer not internally
    HR need to be more involved and coach management

Senior management show favouritism and do not nurture all employees equally

ProsLooks good on the CV

ConsWork experience is average since seniors are not too talented. Work process is not shared properly so you make mistakes and get blamed for them too. Talking to each other is discouraged. Seniors are red tape oriented and point out faults. Encouragement is rare and positive words are to be taken with a pinch of salt. Beware of spies who snitch.

Advice to Senior ManagementFoster team spirit, get off the high horse, accept that you make mistakes.

A lot of potential going down the drain

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Sydney

ProsSamsung has great innovative products and the team I was in was great and supportive. Pay and benefits were good such as fuel card, car allowance, corporate card etc.

ConsGreater Samsung business does not understand Enterprise business
    Customers are affected because the consumer processes are forced on an enterprise business and they don't work the same way.
    Higher priority on internal reports, meetings and training even to the point of having field sales people cancel customer meetings in favour of internal requirements
    Flexible working policy is frowned upon - must be in the office if not at customer meetings even though the company is selling mobility as their main go to market in Enterprise space.
    Internal policies and approval chains put needless overheads and inefficiencies on the business. Eg not allowed network connection through ethernet on other floors in office, only your own. Must apply to take laptop out of office every couple of months.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn from other enterprise businesses - how they go to market and their processes.
    Don't just talk about work life balance - allow staff to achieve it with reasonable expectations
    Allow field sales to be out talking to customers - sales 101! manage internal requirements better (again - just look at the way other businesses manage this).
    If they got this right, Samsung would be a force to reckon with - but they are sabotaging their own business with processes and lack of understanding

A nightmare that will come after you even after you leave

ProsTechnically challenging
    (Sometimes) get free gadgets

ConsThe long and pointless meetings
    The never ending work load
    The culture of staying after 5pm (if you leave at 5, you get looked at)

Advice to Senior Managementgive more help to your employees
    spend less time in pointless meetings so we can all get our jobs done (on time)
    if we need to sell / demo a product, please have stock available

Your worst nightmare

Account Manager (Current Employee) Melbourne

ProsInnovative brilliantly smart products
    fuel card

ConsAlot of backstabbing and unprofessionalism
    Consumer company doesn't get Enterprise even though the products are enterprise ready the management aren't!
    very rich company but doesn't want to invest in supporting teams in enterprise to drive customer awareness
    Company places too much priority on internal meetings to discuss and plan which leaves us no time to speak to our external customers, then you get slammed for not selling enough!
    Korean company in Australia... Koreans are rude and arrogant to the Australian workers with visible eye rolling and shaking their heads at you or grunting when you walk past.
    work life balance is a joke - if you want to shorten your life by half come work here. average of 80 hours a week is normal. even then you still are behind due to the endless internal meetings.
    no career advancement unless you have a korean passport
    Other staff don't support you or respond to your requests as their either in another useless internal meeting or drowning in responding to missed work due to the infinite internal meetings.
    Enterprise business with weekly pipeline review meetings. Enterprise sales cycle is not the same as consumer. should be a monthly review for enterprise. again another time wasting meeting.

Advice to Senior ManagementPut management in place who understand enterprise. open your wallets and invest in areas of growth, enterprise is not the same as consumer! No point spending all our time on internal planning meetings with little to no time to execute.

A terrible place to work - be warned.

Sales Manager (Current Employee) Sydney

ProsPossibly may look good on the resume
    Great way to be exposed to Korean culture without travelling
    If you work in sales you'll not have trouble getting an appointment

ConsDictatorial environment
    Worst bureaucracy on the planet
    Unless you're Korean, you're not a valued employee

Advice to Senior ManagementRealise you're a global company and behave like one
    Implement a culture of trust and appreciation of your employees

Worked for Samsung Group? Contribute to the Community!