Schwan's

www.theschwanfoodcompany.com

Schwan's Reviews

Updated Jul 21, 2014

Dimitrios Smyrnios

Pros
  • There are still some good people within the organization(in 10 reviews)

• My route had great customers, not all routes are that lucky(in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Can be some long hours, because your customers have to be home for you to make a sale(in 36 reviews)

• upper management cares about numbers not the person(in 17 reviews)

Solid company with huge upside

ProsThe company is going through some changes in operations and change is always clan egging but the outcome will be so much better than before. Great time to join the company. Lots of good people and a big potential for growth.

ConsChange is challenging and you need to be able to handle that

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep the communication lines open. The more we know and understand the better we can contribute to the growth of the company.

Good rewards for long hours

Location General Manager (Former Employee)

ProsPaid for what you sell, can pay very well if you do what you are supposed to. Best type of route sales job available because the company pays for the truck, the food you sell and the insurance.

ConsCan be some long hours, because your customers have to be home for you to make a sale

Really miss the customers but not management

Schwans RSR (Former Employee) Bridgeville, PA (US)

ProsOn your own most of the day, in control of your own income.
    My route had great customers, not all routes are that lucky.
    The benefits are as good as most companies.
    The training is set up very well.

ConsAbsolutely no home life, puts stress on family.
    Upper management could care less about the route driver, they just look at numbers.
    In my third year with Schwan's and it's the third compensation plan. Seems that the company is struggling to survive.
    Sorry to say, but this is a sinking ship, they will continue to lose market share.

Advice to Senior ManagementInteract with rsr's, listen to their needs and at least try to accommodate. A very small effort would go a long way.
    Commit to a pay plan.
    Try to retain good RSR's, the turn over is a big problem.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Sinking Ship

Territory Sales Leader (Former Employee)

ProsLiked some of the independance, able to make decisions that effect others. Listened to new ideas and allowed me to try them out. Saved company a lot of money by changing some of the old ways of thinking.

ConsI didnt get the credit for the changes I personally made. Some of them were done company wide- Felt like others took all the credit. Current state of Schwan's home delivery is in Question. I believe the new higher management will shut down most of home service and grow the more profitable wings. The pay doesn't meet with similair industries.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay your employees what they are worth. The drivers make nearly minumum wage for the amount of hours they work. Its a tough job and they need to be paid properly. I was a manager and I was very disatisfied with the company direction.

Good company, but not what it used to be.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsOpportunities from within the organization are pretty good - maybe sometimes too good. The company invests in its high performers.

ConsThe company might have gotten too big for it's britches. Employees suffered.

good food, long days, pay change was a step back and the vacation pay is worse!

Schwans RSR (Former Employee) Colorado Springs, CO (US)

Prosgreat customers, food, and employee discount

Conslong hours, poor management, and do not repair equipment in a timely fashion

Advice to Senior Managementquit micro managing!

RSR

RSR (Former Employee) Bellingham, WA (US)

ProsI worked there a year with some very good character's and had allot of support and understanding from My Managers (there were two since I worked there).
    You have plenty of freedom to do things your way once you leave the depot, so long as your numbers are decent and the customers are happy. Job was very challenging but was a helpful growth experience; if you want to know what it means to work hard, apply at Schwan's. Training was also very hands-on and compensation was good as a trainee.
    Good discounts on yummy convenient food (you will be living off it with the crazy hours).
    Lastly you have some great opportunities to meet some very... interesting people. I made good friends on my route(s) and got to drive around through some beautiful countryside. Namely deception pass and Whidbey Island. You might not be so lucky however.
    If you are a young person with allot of energy, people skills and patience then it's a great start.
    If you want a life, go elsewhere.

ConsThey basically expect you to do two full-time jobs at once. In addition to running and organizing an average 50-80 stop route day you are expected to knock on doors, gather referrals and solicit for more business, for which there is very little time; they do basically nothing to advertise beyond that.
    THE HANDHELD P.O.S. SYSTEM IS THE BIGGEST, SMELLIEST POS ON PLANET EARTH!!! I'm convinced the technology was taken from ancient Greece and manufactured by lobotomized monkeys in china.
    I had to makeup ENTIRE route days on my ONE day off because of that thing.
    Same goes for the system they have to "organize" your stops, basically it takes them and puts them in a blender before each day and you are left to sort it out yourself. If you have been on a route for awhile and you know how it should be run this isn't much of an issue, but as a newbie you could be driving an extra three hours (or more!) moving around like a headless chicken because you are forced to follow the given stop order.
    Speaking of lobotomized monkeys I'm pretty sure that's what they started hiring for corporate management to cut costs.

The management (above the depot manager) was almost completely obvious to the blatant issues (such as the above ones) on the ground. They would constantly be shoving nonsensical procedures and rules down our depot manager's throat who actually knew how the job should be done.

Advice to Senior ManagementLET THE RSR DO HIS DANM JOB

The workers are very well liked.

Schwans RSR (Former Employee) Glendale, AZ (US)

ProsOnce you leave the depot you are management free.

ConsNo paid holidays-yes this means all Federal holidays that virtually every other place of business pays you to have off Schwans does NOT. I still cannot believe that this is possible in America today, it speaks very well of how much they value the people that work for them.

Advice to Senior ManagementWake up!!!

Route Sales Rep (Trainee)

RSR (Trainee) (Current Employee) Fargo, ND (US)

ProsYou are needed because retention rates for RSR's is moderately high. Good management at my depot. They are concerned about your development as a route driver. The company has a new CEO and is making a push for a better work/life balance, i.e. work 4 days a week for 12-14 hours each day. Weekly pay and opportunities to fill other route days to make more money. The highest compensation that I actually believe that an RSR can make for a year is about 80K for a 20 year RSR who has had the same route for many years. 2 year RSRs make about 40-50K.

ConsJust finished my 4th week as a trainee. Current pay is $115 per day for fourteen hours. Comes out to about $8 per hour. Driving in all kinds of weather conditions, traffic, dogs, heat, cold, etc. If you are on a rural route restroom facilities are limited, even if you had time to stop and go. Sometimes it comes down to asking a customer to use their restroom (which is unprofessional) or going outside. I have heard of several RSRs soiling their pants because they were trying to hurry up and not stop.

This job is a balancing act. Company requires you to run about 70 stops on your route day while still expecting great customer engagement/service. If your stops are spread out you might have 30 seconds talk time per customer to take the order, then pull product from the truck, return and complete payment. Customers don't want to be rushed, and want to engage for a bit (especially the elderly ones) and take their time perusing the product book. It is unfortunate that we often have to contact the last 10-15 customers on our route that we can't get to them tonight because DOT rules for drive time have kicked-in. The customers say "why does Schwan's schedule so many customer stops per day"? Good question. If I had 40-50 stops there would be enough time, but then my total potential compensation for the day would be greatly reduced due to lack of commissions because of lower sales. The experienced RSRs know which customers will be home, who the good buyers are, and when they can skip them until next time. etc. What sucks is when you run somebody else's route and you don't know the customers you can skip over.

Equipment problems cause many heartaches. Truck problems, hand-held device problems, inventory problems, etc. GPS system can be challenging at times.

Advice to Senior ManagementSpare no expense on top-of-the-line equipment and training. Cut route stops to 40-50 and adjust the commission rates so that a decent level of compensation can be maintained with fewer stops.

Was once a great company

(Current Employee)

ProsExcellent class act product line, paid vacations, 401K match, excellent optional life, AD&D, short, and long term disability, dental, and vision insurances, 40% discount on home service products when you sign up for rewards and order online or through their contact center otherwise discount is 20%. Opportunity to make a very nice high end middle class income as long as you don't mind putting in a lot of time to do it.

ConsMedical insurance has change to the high deductible plans and are no longer worth very much. Recent pay changes affecting Route Sales Representatives, Bonus structure changes affecting Territory Sales Leaders and Sales Distribution Support Supervisors and the elimination of the opportunity for Chairman's Club for the TSLs and SDSSs which was a very nice merchandise award or trip for exceeding 5% over sales plan for the year. Everyone bonus eligible is not depending on the entire company to make its profit goal and not just the individual location. In reality all the above is compensation changes that are negatively impacting your field employees. More senior management being hired from the outside in hopes that they will have the magic bullet to fix Schwan's when in reality all they do is bring more chaos in upon the long term employees. Outdated Hand Held Computers, printers, and GPS units which cause much frustration in the day to day duties of a Route Sales Representative.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you really want to fix your employee retention problem them stop messing with your field employee's income. Retention is going to get much worse before it gets better and also don't plan on your engagement scores being very high this coming summer because all these changes are going to affect that too. I do understand the current business state is difficult and needs to move to the desired state but it still impacts us negatively. Please replace your outdated hand held computers and GPS units for everyone involved including the customer. You asked for constructive conflict. This is as transparent as it gets.

Worked for Schwan's? Contribute to the Community!