Shaw Environmental & Infrastructure

www.shawgrp.com

Shaw Environmental & Infrastructure Reviews

Updated May 02, 2014

George P. Bevan

Great company with good HR and benefits.

Records Manager (Former Employee) Hazelwood, MO (US)

ProsRelaxed dress code, team oriented co-workers. The company benefits were very reasonable for cost and offered a scale for single and family options. The managers at the site I worked with were the best I have ever worked with in a company.

ConsShort contract work. At the end of the contract with the Corps of Engineers there would be no available place to go. There was not a lunch or break area, so workers at offsite or at their desks and were constantly interrupted.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere is a need to really consider advancement from within, instead of filling the position and then announcing the vacancy with it already filled behind the scenes.

Great Place to Work

Quality Control Inspector (Former Employee) Fort Rucker, AL (US)

ProsPay, time home, with family

ConsSome Personnel were not as nice as they should be.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore Frequent Pay raises

Good, but easily could have been better.

Senior Contract Administrator (Former Employee) Knoxville, TN (US)

ProsVery little, if any; management involvement in daily activities.

ConsVery thing has to be approved by a Vice President or above. They either do not know how to delegate authority or are afraid to delegate authority.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn how to delegate authority. Chasing for Vice Presidents to get signatures for routine business matters is a waste of money / time.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

An average to above-average place to work

Staff Engineer I (Current Employee)

ProsA solid company with generally nice and professional people.

ConsPoor or absent raises most years. Too much emphasis on billable work; not enough focus on professional development/training.

Advice to Senior ManagementEncourage coorperation between offices and business groups to more fully utilize company resources.

Under utilized, degraded, and unappreciated

Project Business Administrator (Former Employee) Dallas, TX (US)

ProsThe only pro that remained while I worked at Shaw was that I was employed and my home was less then 10 minutes away. I also met a few great people.

ConsMicro Management; HR inconsistencies; No appreciation; Poor moral; Failure to train new employee's properly; Stone age processes; No willingness to embrace new ideas and processes. Failure to recognize a good job, and reward for it.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet your head out of the sand and realize that the people in the field are the ones that should be applauded for their hard work. Not punished

Procurement Manager

Procurement Manager (Former Employee) Trenton, NJ (US)

ProsPeople are really good to work with, and try to work as a team.

ConsWas recently bought by CBI, Might be a good thing, but....
    A little more communication would be appreciated, and consistency of information when given. However, you can probably say that about most companies.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpdate purchasing computer system.
    Be consistent with information.

Lucrative if you travel, for the most part this company does not care about its employees and management is subpar.

Environmental Scientist (Former Employee) Knoxville, TN (US)

ProsI met some really great people and learned different aspects of the environmental field that I had not been involved in before which padded my resume.

ConsThere is a lot of travel involved, and when a project is over have fun trying to find other projects to jump on board with so that you aren't charging your time to overhead. Also there were certain staff who are known to cause problems throughout the company and have so for years with their inappropriate behavior which created an unfriendly and hostile work environment and have run several new staff off but management turns a blind eye to the problem staff person and actually makes excuses for them and doesn't want to deal with the problem.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake the time to communicate effectively with your subordinates and give employees opportunities to be involved in different projects. If you want to retain new employees, provide some training and give feedback so that they know how they are doing. Also, if several new employees have left after a short time and it all points back to working for a specific project manager and everyone in the office knows it, don't you think you should pay more attention to the common denominator here. Stop burying your heads in the sand and deal with the issue. A good manager should be able to so effectively.

Easy yet boring

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood amount of time off, they offer 9-40 schedules so every other week you get a 3 day weekend which is nice

ConsLots of work and overtime that you'll never get paid for, job is at time mind numbingly boring, very little employee appreciation

joke

Engineering Technician (Former Employee) Saint Louis, MO (US)

Prosshow up and collect a paycheck, keep mouth shut about out of date practices and those on pedestal, hope funding continues because you are disposable

Conshorrible work environment, cheap management, black mold growing in the office

Advice to Senior Managementcontinue lining your pocket at the cost of others

Satisfied with plenty of work and flexibility

ProsOpportunities to work with a wide array of projects, decent pay and flexibility

ConsSub-par health insurance, some communications issues and little in-house employee skills training

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on communication and developing your employees skill set

Worked for Shaw Environmental & Infrastructure? Contribute to the Community!