Sheetz

Sheetz Reviews

Updated Apr 14, 2014

Sheetz President and CEO Stan Sheetz

Stan Sheetz

Pros:
  • "The pay and benefits are decent for a convenience gas station"
    in 11 reviews
  • "Good Pay, Flexible Hours for salespeople, Good benifits"
    in 17 reviews
Cons:
  • "Lots of hours, can be stressful, open 24/7 including holiday"
    in 11 reviews
  • "open 24/7/365, mean working weird shifts sometimes"
    in 8 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

salesperson

Sales Person (Current Employee)

I have been working at Sheetz full-time for more than a year

ProsA great working environment if you like fast-paced, busy work and enjoy engaging with the general public. Decent salary and benefits are offered to Sheetz employees. Being a team member at Sheetz is like being part of a culture or society whose main focus is assuring each customer leaves feeling like they are a part of that culture/society.

ConsSheetz locations can get extremely busy, so handling the tasks list, which insures each store is clean and stocked from shift to shift, becomes a daily challenge, but attainable if one stays diligent between sales.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a chance on some of the older employees when it comes to promotions. We are still just as eager as the younger employees when it comes to advancement within the company. I'm a widow of 1.5 years after being married for 25 years, and I've raised a son, and co-owned 4 different businesses over the 25 years I was married. I, as well as other older employees, can offer a lifetime of experience in prioritizing ,juggling tasks, time-management, making practical decisions, people management, putting others first, tolerance, budgeting, the list goes on. Often, I feel Sheetz only wants people in their 20s-30s in store-level management positions because that's all I see when I stop in at every location I come across as I travel around.. I'm about to test this theory by applying for a management position, so we shall see if I'm on target with my thinking. To wrap this up, I would like to challenge management to take a second look at the older, employees when it comes to advancement. We are up to the task, and the obstacles of sick children, early school release, extra-curricular school events, day care/baby-sitting issues are all things of the past for us. We are wide open...

Fun job, but fast paced. Not for everyone.

Sales Associate, Former Assistant (Current Employee)
Woodbridge, VA (US)

I have been working at Sheetz full-time for more than 10 years

ProsA great company to work for. Very flexible with hours. I have worked at many different stores and districts over the past 10 years. And each store is quite a bit different and the customers are usually friendly. Always something to do to keep you busy, usually get along with most of the employees.

ConsVery strict tattoo policy. In the Northern VA area it is hard for stores to get consistent management in place.

Advice to Senior ManagementIn the store atmosphere the management needs to be more consistent and be on the same page. I have been at many stores in Northern VA and that is the main thing that is lacking. Also, more communication among the employees from management.

Great place to work

I have been working at Sheetz

Prosenvironment, management, the job itself

Conssometimes bad locations, not very large bonuses unless you're management

It's just ok.

Shift Supervisor (Current Employee)

I have been working at Sheetz full-time for more than 8 years

ProsVery busy place to work, so your shift usually flies by. A lot of the customers are repeat customers, so you get to know a lot of them by name & look forward to seeing them everyday....you, also, know which ones you want to avoid...lol

ConsUnless you work strictly day shift, the hrs stink. 3p-mid; 4p - 2a; 3a - 11a... Also, they are understaffed on 2nd shift & weekends, mostly. There are usually only 3 people working from 3p-9p & then it's 2 til mid. It's impossible to get anything done except to wait on the customer, which isn't enough because the cooler needs stocked, the garbage needs done, dishes need done....& then you get a bus & then everyone working needs their break...yeah, right! Basically, you busy your butt all night, only for the next shift to come in & complain that you didn't do enough.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf your so worried about customer service & hospitality, give your stores more hours & more people on a shift so that they can at least take a decent break on their 9hr. shift & work on the task list that you think we need cuz clearly we don't have enough to do..maybe we wouldn't need a hospitality class then. It's not fun making drinks, subs, running the fryer, & waiting on the customer when there is only 2 people working

Good experience, but a crazy boss

Hourly Sales Associate (Current Employee)
Great Mills, MD (US)

I have been working at Sheetz part-time for more than a year

ProsPay is great! You get a decent bonus every three months and a guaranteed 50 cent raise every year for the first three years. There's an anonymous hotline if you have any issues too.

ConsBy boss is getting pretty old and so is her attitude. It seems like a lot of the management at the other stores isn't always as great as you'd like them to be (favoritism, etc.) But in a low level job like this, what do you expect?

Advice to Senior ManagementRemind your store managers to not flip out at employees over stupid things. We're doing the best we can with what we've got. And the constant changes and updates don't help.

Frantic, but overall a good experience.

Johnstown, PA (US)

I worked at Sheetz part-time for more than 5 years

ProsWorking here taught me how to work in a frantic, fast-paced environment where anything could happen. Literally anything, from shoplifters to gas pump fires. And free drinks plus half off food during your shift.

ConsThey changed the rules, procedures, and processes every other week for seemingly no reason. It seemed like upper management had no idea what working in the store was actually like.

Advice to Senior ManagementAsk employees before changing the procedures!

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

ready to go

Sales Person (Current Employee)
Akron, OH (US)

I have been working at Sheetz full-time for less than a year

ProsNice place to know people and communicate.

ConsHard work always give success in any field.

Advice to Senior Managementnothing

Mixed Emotions

Canonsburg, PA (US)

I worked at Sheetz part-time for less than a year

ProsMostly nice management
Great Pay
Corporate really cares about their workers
New growing company

ConsThe environment is toxic: The customers can be very mean and sometimes so are your coworkers. Shifts are very frustrating for everyone in the store because of the fast pace everyone has to work at; this is fast food after all and customers want to get in and get out. Meanwhile you have to make everything fresh in that timely manner. It's almost impossible to get projects and cleaning done because of the heavy flow of customers. You can't rely on someone else to finish that project either and you almost always have to stay overtime to finish.

Advice to Senior ManagementI think the big guys are doing a great job. I enjoyed the benefits offered, the chances to get the most of the job, and the little bonuses and Christmas gifts I was sent. I think this company is going far and will hopefully spread from the northeast to across the nation soon.

Hell with sandwiches

Shift Supervisor (Current Employee)
Bridgeport, WV (US)

I have been working at Sheetz full-time for more than a year

ProsGood pay for the area, benefits are decent

ConsYou only get the good shifts if you are the 'bosses pet' for his precious lunch shift.
So many people only work that one shift or get pulled from other shifts that no work gets done on 2nd and 3rd shifts.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry working one or two 2nd or 3rd shifts to figure out what actually gets done in your stores.

It was alright.

Cranberry, PA (US)

I worked at Sheetz part-time for more than 3 years

ProsGood pay and flexible hours. You get paid for the most random things and meetings.

ConsThe people are rude and there are no promotions. Calling off for legitimate reasons were not approved.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe nicer.

Worked for Sheetz? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Sheetz reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Sheetz CEO Stan Sheetz. All 141 reviews are posted anonymously by Sheetz employees.