Sherwin-Williams

Updated 20 August 2014

3.5

Sherwin-Williams Chairman and CEO Christopher M. Connor
Christopher M. Connor

Pros
  • Opportunities for advancement as far as you want to go (in 39 reviews)

• Sherwin Williams is a growing company and has great benefits (in 70 reviews)

Cons
  • no work/life balance, upper management out of touch with store level (in 38 reviews)

• Upper management can be tough depending on the stores sales and profit (in 75 reviews)

More Highlights

17 year employee, good times and bad. Company has lost track of what made it .

Current Employee - Store Manager  in  New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Store Manager in New York, NY (US)

Pros

Great benefits, opportunity for advancement if willing to move.

Cons

The this year vs. last year philosophy is not a way to build a long term business. Only concerned now about stock price and sacrificing its American stores in the process. Investing all money in foreign ventures.

Your stores are chronically short staffed. Get out of the 1970's business philosophy and practice what you preach. You have to have experienced employees to compete with the competition stores yet you will not commit resources. Offer the best pay in the industry staff your stores properly and you will achieve your goals . And number one the box stores are NOT your competition it's the contractor market that is key. Quit offering our service and top personal for nothing by matching prices with companies that do not offer our service and locations. The pricing system is a joke. A gallon of paint can sell to one person for 50.00 and someone else for 10.95. Really?

Good company to work for in Cleveland

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Cleveland, OH (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cleveland, OH (US)

Pros

IT department is well funded and uses new technologies. Lots of opportunities for growth. You get to work with smart developers. Very flexible with hours and you will get very good work life balance.

Cons

Some times senior management/ developers seem to be frustrated. Not a lot of cons to write about. Overall a good company to work.

good enough for now

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager  in  Dallas, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Dallas, TX (US)

Pros

Pay. Money. Bonuses. Compensation. Payday. Oh and the benefits start immediately....no grace period and no drug test for managers.

Cons

whatever you do.... if you are an MTP do NOT accept your first store placement outside of your preffered location. if you live in austin and you love austin do not take a store in dallas because you will be trapped in dallas and it will not be easy to go back to austin even though you have worked there. When they say relocating will move you up faster they mean that it will get you placed in your FIRST store faster, not that if you are willing to move around that you can move every 6 months....you can within your district, not city to city or state to state. the work life balance sucks to since they are keeping stores open later and later.

I do not hate my job at all but I would love more time to spend away from it. The money is great but if I do not have time to spend it, it makes no difference.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Wonderful introduction to the world of sales for college student.

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

Pros

The best reason to work at Sherwin-Williams is gaining experience into the world of sales. Managers at branch locations are friendly and well-trained so its easy to pick up on new skills. Work days are diverse, so they go quickly and you get to meet a lot of new faces.

Cons

You feel like a very very small piece of the puzzle and it is tough to get in touch with anyone from the corporate offices. Compensation is less than adequate as well.

There needs to be more transparency so that upper management can better see how stores work and so there is less of a disconnect between retail stores and headquarters.

blender

Current Employee - Blender  in  Lowell, MA (US)
    Current Employee - Blender in Lowell, MA (US)

Pros

every day is different and interesting

Cons

working with chemical and other toxic elements

work environment could be upgraded

The best company I have ever worked for in terms of company culture, employee compensation, and quality of products.

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Paramus, NJ (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Paramus, NJ (US)

Pros

There's plenty of opportunity to grow professionally within this company if you are a hard worker. As a manager and assistant you can earn bonuses if you hit your store sales. High quality products make it easier to sell. Management truly cares about your success and wants you to have a work/life balance not just all hours dedicated to work. Flexible hours. Retirement plans good as well.

Cons

If you are a woman seeking employment here you need to have tough skin to deal with some of the contractors that come in and are not all exactly proper business men. Better also have no qualms about lifting some heavy equipment either! Products can get pretty heavy. There are dolly's to help but still require some muscle and tough skin.

There really is no advice I can give. They taught me a lot and were very interactive and patient with me as a new worker who had to learn 40,000 + products. Great people and great environment to work in.

great company, great benefits, good people

Pros

benefits, pay, 401k, stock options,

Cons

hard to move up but getting better. a little micromanaging some times.

Great place to start a career

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Birmingham, AL (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Birmingham, AL (US)

Pros

Great place to learn skills, Great place to advance a career (If you have a 4 year degree, that is), Work environment is generally good. Schedule is really flexible depending on your store, fantastic if you like to move around.

Cons

There are not enough employees at larger stores. I am not in management but most of the hours I work are spent alone with no assistance. When it gets busy, customers get angry because they have to wait and leave. Not good business. Pressure from corporate ties the hands of the store management. Corporate is really out of touch with what goes on in the stores.

Employ more people at your stores. I work at a very busy store, and we have only one full time employee,aside from management, and because of corporate pressure he feels compelled to work several hours each week off the clock. Also, corporate needs to stop evaluating our stores solely on cleanliness. Our district manger visits us once a year, and his office is ten minutes away, and when he comes he checks for dust and dirt. There are other things that contribute to a store's operations......

Handle inside and outside sales by developing an efficient business and market plan.

Current Employee - Store Manager  in  Glen Cove, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Glen Cove, NY (US)

Pros

The best reason to work for Sherwin Williams is because of the interactions with Customers as well as your co-workers. I been fortunate to work with great people.

Cons

One that comes to mind is work-life balance.

They do great coaching in helping you get to the next level in your career.

Great company

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager  in  Denver, CO (US)
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Denver, CO (US)

Pros

I worked at Sherwin for over a year as an Assistant Manager, I would have spent my whole career there, if I had more help in the store

Cons

For me a lot of it was working by myself, and that happens a lot in smaller stores

Hire

Worked for Sherwin-Williams? Contribute to the Community!