Sherwin-Williams

Updated 17 December 2014
3.5

Sherwin-Williams Chairman and CEO Christopher M. Connor
Christopher M. Connor

Pros
  • Many opportunities for advancement (in 44 reviews)

• Great benefits, opportunity for advancement if willing to move (in 67 reviews)

Cons
  • no work/life balance, upper management out of touch with store level (in 43 reviews)

• Upper management keep putting the wrong people in leadership positions (in 84 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Company to star your career!

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager

I have been working at Sherwin-Williams full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great leadership. This company wants you to move up!! They have great benefits and bonuses as well. You really get to know your fellow employees and make great relationships with customers. They also pay very well.

Cons

There are very few. Keep in mind that this is a paint store and depending on where you live, the winter crowd is very low. At my store I probably see only one person come in after 6 PM and most of the time they are just looking at color samples. I guess somewhere in my district they must be making a good amount of money to justify staying open until 8 PM.

You should close at 6:30 PM in states that get a lot of cold weather. I have worked at several of you stores, from high end money makers to low end and out of all of them, still only probably one person will come in after 6 PM. It is costing more money to pay the employee to stay there and pay the electric bill.

This company has great benefits and does a good job taking care of its employees.

Current Employee - Operations Manager in Wichita, KS (US)
    Current Employee - Operations Manager in Wichita, KS (US)

I have been working at Sherwin-Williams

Pros

This company is a leading force in the paint market and provides great opportunities for those looking for a career in sales management.

Cons

Corporate sales initiative programs have increased management workload, making it difficult to effectively prioritize store needs while also executing sales programs to everchanging company standards.

Effective time management is imperative. It is important to prioritize customer service while also considering store needs. Being resourceful and able to think on your feet are helpful skills.

Hard work but you see the rewards.

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Baton Rouge, LA (US)
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Baton Rouge, LA (US)

I have been working at Sherwin-Williams

Pros

The training program is wonderful. Helps eliminate a learning curve, especially when starting a new position. The staff is very friendly and willing to lend a hand. The stock options and benefits program is very incredible as well. Management leads by example.

Cons

Making sure you have a good set of employees on your staff.

Sales Associate

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Greensboro, NC (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Greensboro, NC (US)

I worked at Sherwin-Williams part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The benefits are wonderful! Stock purchasing program and 401k are tough to beat.

Cons

The biggest challenge here is work can fluctuate easily. Some years will be good and some may be bad. If the economy goes down then people are not looking to buy paint at all.

Hire and promote people from within.

Had a great time and miss my Sherwin Family.

Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Madison, WI (US)
    Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Madison, WI (US)

I worked at Sherwin-Williams full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

For being known as a pretty conservative company, you really experience very little of that at the store level. You get all sorts in your store, whether they are fellow employees, professional painters, or customers, and can make some lasting bonds with all of the above.
    The job itself can be grueling and fast paced at times, but not too overwhelming (with a couple of exceptions). There is a lot of knowledge you have to pick up on, most of it's pretty common sense though. You may start PT for low pay, but if you can pick up a large chunk of the information quickly, and find something to specialize in you can move up ranks relatively quickly. Amazing retail and wholesale customer service experience.
    We had a grill and would cook lunch for staff and customers as often as possible! I might have been lucky with a great store manager and team, who after 3 years felt like family. We had a lot of fun.
    Great benefits
    Great products
    Awesome discount

Cons

No real meal breaks. You get paid to eat but may get called away in the middle of your meal and not get back to it for a while, or may not get to eat at all when it's really busy.
    Very little overtime. It would just get rolled over. So even if you stayed late to do a last minute order for the next morning, they would just cut you're hours later in the week. So no real benefits to giving 110%.
    I think it would benefit the company to hire more of there Assistant Managers from within the company.
    I gave them 3 months but they sat on transferring me for too long when I moved out of state, even though they said it shouldn't be a problem.
    Can be understaffed at times.
    Making sales calls, and trying to up sell your regulars.
    These are definitely not deal breakers though.

Thank you for the opportunity. Best place I've ever worked for. Your doing pretty well supporting your "little guys" but there's a little room for improvement.

Assistant Manager

Former Employee - Assistant Market Manager in Minneapolis, MN (US)
    Former Employee - Assistant Market Manager in Minneapolis, MN (US)

I worked at Sherwin-Williams

Pros

44 hour work week is manageable, and if you go over 44 you are paid overtime unlike many management positions.

Cons

Physically taxing if you're in an older store without a dock or you are short staffed.

Great place to work

I worked at Sherwin-Williams

Pros

Great People, and great place to learn how to sell.

Cons

Little flexibility with scheduling hours

The company keeps things interesting and competitive with many of the promotions and company objectives.

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Clifton, NJ (US)
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Clifton, NJ (US)

I have been working at Sherwin-Williams full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Room for advancements
    Work life balance
    Good starting salary and benefits for recent graduates

Cons

As an assistant there is a lot of physical labor
    Working with paint contractors who often have a bleak outlook on life
    Many co-workers lack confidence and simple decision making skills

Never really see or hear from them. Overall they do a good job.

I drove a straight box truck and I had to deliver paint and supplies to contractors. My job title was a Hazmat Driver.

Former Employee - HazMat Driver in Phila, PA (US)
    Former Employee - HazMat Driver in Phila, PA (US)

I worked at Sherwin-Williams part-time (more than an year)

Pros

The best reason to work at Sherwin - Williams is that there's always the opportunity to advance at this company. Also, by being a full-time employee, you get a nice benefit package which includes a 401K and a pension.

Cons

One of the main challenges is getting to know your customers if you're working in the warehouse. As far as driving, everyday is different. You always have to be aware of everything around you whole you're driving and you have to adjust your driving to mother nature.

If you have a good employee and he/she is threatening to seek employment elsewhere, do your best to keep them because you might get someone to replace them but that same person most likely night not be as good as the one you let walk because they wanted more hours.

Good training

I have been working at Sherwin-Williams

Pros

Great Co workers, training, advancement

Cons

Under staffed, long hours, stores under staffed

Staff the stores. This will free up managers and increase sales.

Sherwin-Williams Photos