Sikorsky

Sikorsky Reviews

Updated Jul 19, 2014

Sikorsky President Mick Maurer

Mick Maurer

Pros
  • Great pay and benefits, and a employee scholar program that anyone can take advantage of(in 20 reviews)

• Sikorsky (and UTC) creates a learning culture and puts their money behind it with a very generous Employee Scholar Program(in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance: is always on the horizon; there seems an innate inability to eliminate bureaucracy(in 10 reviews)

• Pay raises are very poor and no adjustment for cost of living(in 7 reviews)

The most both challenging and rewarding company I ever worked for.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsI was given opportunity to showcase my technical skills and use
    my education.

Consavoiding being misunderstood as overly ambitious.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive new hires an audience when it comes to solutions.

Good place to work if you don't mind all the rules

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Stratford, CT (US)

ProsObviously the best paid job l've ever had. The work isn'the difficult, but the inspectors are tough.

ConsThe constant rumors of lay offs, then they change their mind, then they DO lay people off.

Advice to Senior ManagementMost of the time the workers know that you are lying. We have family and friends upstairs and we have already heard the truth. When you say you don't know, we were testing you.

Very challenging environment that changes with customer obligations.

ProsHard work and flexibility can pay off with a competitive and rewarding career.

ConsNot much room for growth within the job fields.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed more guidance and help with career growth while maintaining steady compensation increase year over year to avoid stagnation.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great projects, good experience, exceptional colleagues, big company feel.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsI worked in the Engineering department for a smaller subsidiary and the greatest advantage was the amount of responsibility relative to my experience. It was a great opportunity to take on bigger projects earlier in my career.

ConsSikorsky is a huge company and carries with it some serious difficulties: bureaucracy, management hundreds of miles away making uninformed decisions, constant budgetary pressure.

Large company - works for and against you

Subcontract Administrator (Former Employee) Stratford, CT (US)

ProsBenefits, salaries, chance to work on a product that you can actually see the result of your efforts.

ConsLarge company management structure - can get lost in the shuffle. Reorganizations are constantly taken place with little regard to employee input or satisfaction.

Good Company with some management issues

Mechanical Engineer (Current Employee) Stratford, CT (US)

Pros- Good working environment. Plenty of time for deadlines and within our own immediate department you can express yourself and engage in good work conversations.
    - Technology is somewhat up to date. Good computers and software is available for you.
    - Good benefits including healthcare and time off. Time off includes vacation, personal days, and sick days which you have plenty of.
    - HR is understanding of your personal situations and will work with you and your management.

Cons- Salary is a bit under national average.
    - Career growth can be limiting. You may not be promoted for a long time. Sometimes requires you to move to under department.
    - IT support is very low. Technical issues may take months to fix.
    - Training is hard to come by. You learn from your coworkers but be expected to teach yourself.
    - Sometimes engineering is pressured by other groups (i.e. upper management, purchasing) to make decisions.
    - Be expected, as an engineer, to do a lot of management type work (i.e. paper work, releasing of documents, contract work).

Advice to Senior Management- Purchasing should not be allowed to influence engineering decisions. Purchasing should work with engineering more to help them complete their job. Sometimes engineers know more about purchasing contracts and deliveries than they do.

Great place for an internship, very helpful engineers

Engineering Intern (Current Employee) Stratford, CT (US)

ProsThey allow interns to really become involved in important programs/projects

ConsDealing with HR is a pain

Good place to work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Stratford, CT (US)

ProsProvide great training and education benefits. Great opportunities since a member of United Technologies. Flexible hours. Strong process improvement organization.

ConsOlder workforce which have many people that have lost their drive. Frequent workforce reductions.

Great Company! Exciting Products

ProsThis company has a dynamic work environment which motivates you to excel. Great benefits and many opportunities to explore career options within UTC. For instance, the employee scholar program enables people to pursue higher education at no cost. Salary and wages are up to standards.

ConsWorking and pursuing higher education is almost impossible as work become strenuous. Nepotism is the norm.

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote more reward systems

Great if you like Helicopters

Logistics Manager (Current Employee) Shelton, CT (US)

ProsGreat if you like Helicopters and if you want the freedom to improve on processes or lean principles

ConsYou will never get promoted. Nepotism is the norm. Will not seek new business in developing markets such as Latin America.

Advice to Senior ManagementBreak up your current management structure and allow for new talent to develop, grow and be successful in the management ranks. Too stuck on the past.

Worked for Sikorsky? Contribute to the Community!