Slalom Consulting

Updated 30 September 2014
4.3

Slalom Consulting CEO Brad Jackson
Brad Jackson

Pros
  • Work-life balance is a priority and you can truly can go and grow at your own speed (in 69 reviews)

• Great culture and management listens to employees (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • Staff Aug everywhere even when they say it's not it is what it is (in 16 reviews)

• A lot of roles fall in the "staff augmentation" category (in 15 reviews)

More Highlights

Exceeding my expectations!!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Hartford, CT (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hartford, CT (US)

I have been working at Slalom Consulting full-time for more than a year

Pros

My experience in the last year and half has met or exceeded my expectations for what I was told/heard about Slalom.

Every company says their people are the number one priority and culture is so important but I have never seen a company invest more in both than Slalom.

At every client I have worked at since joining Slalom I have heard " you really are different than the other consulting companies we have worked with" "we really appreciate you always doing what is best for us"

Cons

So far, none for me. Most of the cons I saw in other reviews are being actively addressed by senior management.

Keep up the great work!!

Oct 01, 2014Communications Manager

Thank you for sharing your positive feedback! It's wonderful to hear that you are enjoying the clients and the culture of Slalom. I'll make sure that leadership hears your thoughts. If you have any ... More

Great place to be love your work and your coworkers

Current Employee - Management Consultant  in  Atlanta, GA (US)
    Current Employee - Management Consultant in Atlanta, GA (US)

I have been working at Slalom Consulting full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The people are legitimately great. I really enjoy working alongside my peers, solutioning client challenges with my teams and leadership, and grabbing beers after work with pretty much anyone at the company. It's a fantastic blend of new challenges all the time, the ability to build and expand the brand, a great support system (front office / back office / national / local), and a company that knows how to have fun. Our projects are increasingly strategic, challenging, and valued by clients.I enjoy going to work. I enjoy hanging out with coworkers after work. It's a great place to be.

Cons

Some of our legacy clients still view us as a Staff Augmentation firm and some of the "old guard" still think about our company that way too. This is changing, but it's a process.
    Also, if you need a super rigid work structure, with a well defined career path (i.e. 12 months after an MBA you should expect X title, and 12 months after that you should expect Y title), you might be disappointed. Our company is growing, it's fluid and dynamic, and that may not be comfortable for everyone.

Continue to work on the lifestyle equity benefits. Need better maternity / paternity programs. Better 401k match.

Slalom is a great Consulting firm

Former Employee - Management Consultant  in  Seattle, WA (US)
    Former Employee - Management Consultant in Seattle, WA (US)

I worked at Slalom Consulting full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great Culture, strong consultants, pushing towards a services oriented model placing teams to deliver results to clients.

Cons

Lack of definition and growth as an individual consultant due to flat organization. The HQ office, Seattle, carried the growth expansion which at times impacted the local market ability to expand.

Pay more attention to your consultants to ensure personal growth and development which will help with attrition.

Sep 30, 2014Communications Manager

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts and thank you for being a part of Slalom for 5+ years. I'm glad to hear that you found the experience to be positive overall. I'll make sure that ... More

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Enjoyable, Innovative, Fun, Challenging

Current Employee - Consultant  in  New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Consultant in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Slalom Consulting full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good work-life balance. Executive leadership identifies areas to grow and solidly commits and follows through on seeing those changes happen. Lots of excellent, smart and hard working coworkers. Office has matured into many solid projects and advanced work.

Cons

There are definitely high expectations for productivity and participation when working here. I enjoy these things but not everyone does.

Things can get from calm to crazy depending on the project but that's sort of the nature of the work.

Continue with efforts to build collaboration and foster growth.

Sep 25, 2014Communications Manager

Thank you so much for your thoughts. It's great that you enjoy your smart and hardworking coworkers. And yes, we're certainly full steam ahead with growth! I'll make sure that leadership hears your ... More

Great environment, happy people

Current Employee - Management Consultant  in  Houston, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Management Consultant in Houston, TX (US)

I have been working at Slalom Consulting full-time for less than a year

Pros

Compensation, training opportunities, work-life balance, perks, entrepreneurial spirit

Some of the same, great people from the big consulting firms, minus the hand-slapping for not understanding convoluted processes that I was never trained properly on. It is a safe place to learn and grow deep skills. Looking forward to working with a variety of clients instead of staying at the same place year after year.

The environment is family oriented, and really supportive. It is easy to have a good time when you work with great people who are willing be to flexible and work together to achieve goals.

Probably the most significant difference is how easy it has been to step up and work on all of those things I never got exposure to before, but wanted to. I guess that is the benefit of being at a smaller company in general and how they help you get the experience you want.

Cons

Breaking into a new market for Slalom... but that is the reason why I joined in the first place!

Don't change! Everyone is focused on delivering excellent work and having fun while doing it... I think it will stay a fun and amazing place to work if you can keep things the way they are.

Sep 24, 2014Communications Manager

Thank you so much for your thoughts. I'm very glad to hear that you enjoy your coworkers and the workplace culture so much. Good luck with the challenge of opening a new market! We're behind you ... More

Come work with hard working, passionate individuals

Current Employee - Consultant  in  Boston, MA (US)
    Current Employee - Consultant in Boston, MA (US)

I have been working at Slalom Consulting full-time for more than a year

Pros

Slalom has allowed me to have a sense of independence I enjoyed when self-employed, and at the same time given me the support, drive, and sense of community I have enjoyed about working at a company. My experience with my team and management has been a very positive one, with honest interest from my boss on whether I am happy with my client, work and team, and a shared sense of responsibility for my career growth.

Slalom has some great perks, such as the 4 week paid sabbatical once reached 3 years/6k billable hours, some nice training and self-education resources, and a great support network across the organization.

My experience at Slalom has been a positive one, with management very interactive, interested in retaining consultants and understanding what is and is not working around the office. Slalom is very thoughtful in their hiring process, and therefore very invested in you and your happiness as an employee.

Cons

Not a large amount of paid time off; greater diversity within management is needed; while a lot of opportunities to participate in "non-billable" internal projects, business development, and "fun" office activities, often can become challenge to do all and balance with billable time.

Sep 23, 2014Communications Manager

Thank you for your thoughtful and detailed feedback. We are working on our diversity initiatives and I will make sure that leadership hears your thoughts both regarding PTO and diversity at the ... More

Would work here again!

Former Employee - Internal Employee  in  Seattle, WA (US)
    Former Employee - Internal Employee in Seattle, WA (US)

I worked at Slalom Consulting full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great company culture; senior management cares about its employees; fun benefits (annual retreat, prizes, social opportunities/activities); work with really smart people; great "family" feel; great values; fast paced and growth oriented company

Cons

A lot of focus is placed on developing the consultant (career development, compensation, bonus structure, etc) and not a lot of attention is given to employees who are internal to the company (non-consultant). There aren't as many growth opportunities for non-consultants.

Look for ways to include everyone as the company grows (i.e. focus on the consultant and internal employees)

Love it!

Current Employee - Consulting Manager  in  Houston, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Consulting Manager in Houston, TX (US)

I have been working at Slalom Consulting full-time for less than a year

Pros

The company has a real spirit. Employees are happy to be here and challenged to do great innovative work. Everything promised in the interviews is true - this is the real deal!

Cons

Can't think of anything just yet!

Never lose this spirit!

An amazing place to work

I have been working at Slalom Consulting

Pros

A Great place to work, amazing culture.

Cons

Need to diversify management structure.

Need to diversify management structure.

More concerned with staff augmentation than delivering great work

Former Employee - Consultant  in  Atlanta, GA (US)
    Former Employee - Consultant in Atlanta, GA (US)

I worked at Slalom Consulting full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Slalom's salary, bonus, professional development, and consultant sabbatical programs are very competitive and attractive. The corporate culture is very much like a fraternity—the positive of which is always a great Christmas party, an all-expense-paid trip (including spouses and spices) in the Spring, and quartet events and happy hours throughout the year.

Cons

The work environment is often very hostile and even abusive at times. Consultant successes are rarely recognized but even minor infractions and hearsay are given great volume in Slalom's negative-focuses review process. Several employees, myself included, have even endured personal attacks on our character and families as a result of perceived performance issues at work. Managers are instructed to downgrade employee ratings and peer-reviews are dismissed out of hand. The sales and leadership teams don't demonstrate a good understanding of much of the work they're selling—specifically user experience and custom development work—and tend to see all the practitioners of these disciplines as interchangeable despite their specializations. Much greater emphasis is given to "butts-in-seats" billable time than to the quality of the deliverables. Criticism and collaboration are often discouraged and the work, frankly, shows it. There are some incredibly talented people at Slalom that could be doing much better work in a more constructive and less hostile environment. The company is also driven by people who espouse, but do not live, work-life balance. The result is a difficult environment for employees with families or aiming to have families. There is also little or no room for career growth outside of the sales path.

Consider the quality of the deliverable over the time spent on project—more money can be made of excellence in delivery than in staff augmentation. The calibre of consultant your looking to hire and keep expects benefits like competitive PTO, flexible scheduling, and better appreciation of work-life balance. Be less of a car dealership and more of a tech company.

Sep 19, 2014President & Co-founder, North America

This is John Tobin - Thanks for providing the feedback and I will definitely share this with various leaders especially in the Atlanta office. One of the things we are working on is having more ... More

Worked for Slalom Consulting? Contribute to the Community!