Slalom Consulting Reviews

449 reviews filtered by
4.2
Slalom Consulting CEO Brad Jackson
Brad Jackson

Pros
  • For those who want to take a balanced approach work-life balance is strongly supported (in 88 reviews)

• Great Culture; Interesting projects; Challenging work; Opportunities to grow and Choose your career path (in 29 reviews)

Cons
  • It's also been a challenge to maintain work life balance as we've grown (in 9 reviews)

• Great flexible career path- but it is up to you to pick/choose where you want to go (in 16 reviews)

1. Featured Review

Management walks the walk

I have been working at Slalom Consulting full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great energy, growing business, by far the best people.

Most of all I can honestly say that this is the first consulting company where I feel "in control" of my destiny without being asked to sell out. I feel that leadership wants consultants to carve their own path, make their own game.

Cons

So far so good. I hear a few minor complaints from other consultants about the usual... "client is difficult to deal with", "why didn't I get a promotion", etc. My experience so far has been nothing but positive. I feel like the promotion process is very generous and clear.

Advice to Management

What Slalom has is special. I like the freedom to blaze my own trail and work "my way". Please do not make the promotion process some sort of formalized process that pits consultants against one another like other big 4 consulting companies. Collaboration is currency. I #lovemyfuture #withslalom.

Mar 20, 2015Communications Manager

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. It's great that you are enjoying your colleagues and the work as well as the unique culture we have here. Your feedback regarding steering clear of ... More

The Future is Unwritten

Current Employee - Solution Architect in DFW, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Solution Architect in DFW, TX (US)

I have been working at Slalom Consulting full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Smart, hard working people, who have excelled at what they have done and continue to excel at slalom.

Great Compensation for a smaller consulting firm, I have read some complaints on Glass Door about Compensation, Sick Pay etc. All I can say is, if the pay and benefits were so great where you were why did you leave your last position (Really think about it)? Slalom is very upfront about all of the benefits. Slalom is evolving and growing and each year is trying hard to stay true to it's Culture, I really appreciate this, and so do a lot of my co-workers.

Understanding Management, I have never felt the boot of management on my neck, like some of the reviewers have harped on. This is wholly unfair to the great team that works hard to provide the best experience for their employees.

Chart Your Own Path both a Pro and a Con, it's a Pro to people with an entrepreneurial spirit, (Con) many of the hastily departed think they are going to "Land" at slalom and career-coast, without a can-do attitude you won't get far.

Slalom self-corrects, it's can-do culture scares a lot of people, this is fine, if you face your fears and grab the challenge by the horns you will be rewarded, and often your ideas and work will be implemented into the company! However if you shy away and grumble about how much better things should be, I am afraid you may find yourself looking at more green grass on the other side of the fence.

Cons

The only real Con I can think of is the Office Location, centrally located, but traffic is becoming an issue so making it the office can sometimes be a challenge.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work, it's easy to be a critic and through the lense of Glassdoor the critics seem to be the only ones making noise (Also there are a lot of good reviews). I am here to tell you that what you do matters, I really appreciate the effort it takes to be true to overall mission of slalom with all of the real constraints of clients.

What really gets me is the negative reviews on Glassdoor, while containing nuggets of truth here and there, don't really address the posters own failures, the failure to reach out and say something, or try something, a great company takes commitment from it's people, I have committed myself and have seen the company grow, and it's people prosper. I am proud to work at slalom because I know that there are great people leading the company, they believe in their people, and hard work will bring success. If you are reading the GlassDoor reviews and are considering working for slalom, please keep my comments in mind, slalom wants you to succeed!

Apr 24, 2015Communications Manager

Thank you for leaving feedback on Glassdoor. It's wonderful that the benefits, culture, management and ability to “chart your own path” are all pros for you. It’s true that, even with our local ... More

3. The best company I have ever. worked for

I have been working at Slalom Consulting full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I've been working for 15 years and have had 5 employers in that time. The mix of amazing work opportunities, culture, and entrepreneurial nature are what make Slalom the best company I have ever worked for.

I have read the few negative reviews, and it's clear that those people didn't try. Slalom is a place where you can create what you want: want to work in X industry? Sell a project in X industry and you'll have the full weight and support of the company behind you. If you're unhappy at Slalom, it's probably your own fault.

John Tobin, President, makes it a point to stay connected to everyone in the company. You can e-mail the guy and expect a call or swift e-mail in return. He visit every office quarterly, if not more often, and takes all new employees to lunch to get to know them. His ability to remember the names of literally thousands of people is impressive.

Cons

401(k) match isn't as good as it could be. There is no typical path towards leadership like at most consulting companies (but there is no up or out policy either which is a big PRO).

Advice to Management

Slalom sells a dream. Don't bother selling it to people who don't really want it. Hire people who want to stay.

5. Better than most!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX (US)

I have been working at Slalom Consulting full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Opportunities are plentiful for those who bring a willingness to work hard to realize their ambitions.
    Fast growing company leading to increased opportunities for all.
    Innovative career development framework available for consultants who understand that in order to advance your career you must be proactive.
    Get to work with some very smart and creative people.
    Constantly being challenged to grow and develop professionally.
    Good salary and overall benefits.

Cons

Typical cons of working for any consulting firm; unknown and typically longer commute times, complex and challenging work with tight deadlines, higher standards expected of your work product, work assignments can vary greatly sometimes interesting roles but other times staff augmentation.

I love consulting! I love the variety and the challenges of my role, but it can be tough. Clients will typically blame the consulting firm before taking any responsibility, but most consultants are professional enough to take it on the chin and move forward.

It's a tough job but I get to work with some amazing people at Slalom which makes it all worthwhile. If I wanted an easy job I would have been frightened away by the challenges of consulting long ago.

Advice to Management

Keep growing Slalom, more growth provides better opportunities for our people. Don't forget that People are at the center of what makes Slalom great.

Apr 24, 2015Communications Manager

Thank you for writing a review of Slalom. It’s good to hear that the opportunities, the company’s growth, your colleagues and your compensation are all working well for you. You’ve attributed your ... More

Project specific experiences

Former Employee - Management Consultant in Portland, OR (US)
    Former Employee - Management Consultant in Portland, OR (US)

I worked at Slalom Consulting full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Slalom as a whole seemed to be a well run organization that cared about it's employees. Some project work could be exciting

Cons

Each office was run in a silo. The projects were general staff augmentation rather than true consulting

Advice to Management

don't over sell

Good company for work/life balance, lacking benefits, training and perks of other consulting companies

Current Employee - Consultant in New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Consultant in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Slalom Consulting full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Work/Life Balance - local consulting, no travel, no up-or-out, reasonable work hours

Cons

-Benefits - including 401k and vacation are not up to par with the rest of the industry

Apr 28, 2015President & Co-founder, North America

This is John Tobin. Thanks for your review. We are actively working on our benefits and you will see a survey come out soon specifically asking people where should invest more dollars and where ... More

Good overall, but still a lot of ego within the firm

I have been working at Slalom Consulting full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Safe work environment that allows you to grow at your own pace. You can go as hard or essentially as "slow" as you want. It is entirely up to you in which direction you choose to grow your career.

Cons

Some internal power hungry folks that have an inflated sense of self worth for themselves...

Advice to Management

Stop promoting ego-centric, self promoting people that people really do not like working for.

Apr 28, 2015President & Co-founder, North America

This is John Tobin. Thanks for the feedback, I plan to share this with your market leaders. If you want to provide more specific feedback to me, I would love to hear it - simply email me at ... More

You are the owner of your success

Current Employee - Consultant in Boston, MA (US)
    Current Employee - Consultant in Boston, MA (US)

I have been working at Slalom Consulting full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very flexible company, great people, good opportunities, growing, good leaders, active in the community

Cons

PTO, still some staff aug situations as we grow client relationships

Advice to Management

Increase PTO

Great people but sub-par assignments and 2nd tier management issues

Current Employee - Consultant in Dallas, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Consultant in Dallas, TX (US)

I have been working at Slalom Consulting full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people are wonderful and very sharp. The culture is amazing. The company hosts great quarterly reviews and the annual retreat with significant others is awesome. The GM is top notch at what he does, personable, humble and remembers everyone.

Cons

Assignments won't necessarily be within your professional expertise and staff aug assignments aren't out of the realm of possibility. Resisting a staff aug assignment or one that is not close to your profession is highly frowned upon. You take what you're given. Too many members of the 2nd tier of management seem to be more concerned with selling anything that they don't take the time to think whether it's a good fit for the company or the consultants. You're at their mercy. Top management talks about meaningful work for us but it's just talk due to some of their direct reports. They need to review the motivation and work of their 2nd tier managers.

Volunteering for internal projects seems more like a mandate than an option. If you're not active internally then it can be looked upon negatively. Internal contributions outside of your full-time assignment are expected. Doesn't seem to matter if you have a family or long commute, it is in your best interest to volunteer when it comes to raise and bonus time.

3 weeks of PTO is sub-par.

Advice to Management

Take a step back and really look at the assignments being handed out against the skill set of the consultant. It's not fair to bring in people who are seasoned professionals then place them in a staff aug assignment or an assignment that is outside of their profession. Making record numbers feels good but at what cost are they being met?

Apr 28, 2015President & Co-founder, North America

This is John Tobin. This is good feedback regarding the projects and staffing process for the Dallas office - I will share with that team. If you want to provide more specific feedback to me in the ... More

Overall positive but not sure how long I'll stay due to the weight of the cons

I have been working at Slalom Consulting

Pros

Work life balance, most of the time at least
    Professional development
    Local model
    Challenging work most of the time and local market is growing
    Entrepreneurial feel
    Smart and experienced colleagues who care about the client and performance
    Good direct boss
    Culture is casual and fun. At least it is on the off chance you’re in the office or get to make it to a happy hour, retreat, or the other many hosted events. The events are fun and the effort is appreciated but it is just hard to get to them when you’re working long hours at a client site. It seems the internal staff benefit from these more than consultants.

Cons

PTO is pretty awful and sabbatical is kind of a joke because it takes too long to earn, especially when a consultant ends up on the bench and it is not their fault. And consultants lose sabbatical if they promote to even the first level of management.
    401k match is pitiful. Many of us talk about how we plan to stay only a few years as a reprieve from the intensity of our previous firms or employers but will need to go to a new company to focus on retirement planning.
    Promotion requires selling and there is no insight offered into what your new pay could be so you can decide if the extra time and energy investment would be worth it.
    It is tough that the local area is so large so it can mean a long commute depending on where your client is.
    Culture is good, but a lot of it is just good branding or applies if you are an internal employee. The people in the office seem close and very 'Slalom' because they can go to all of this stuff regularly.
    Some members of the leadership team have reputations that make consultants avoid their projects or team or even leave the company.

Advice to Management

Improve the 401k and PTO. It makes no sense to see how these have been ongoing issues for many years and still no improvement. Give up some happy hours and events for better vacation and retirement.

Look closer at the management team feedback and their feedback. Some are amazing to use Slalom’s words and some are not. What is the point of the manager delivering on numbers if people avoid working for them. That can be a successful model for only so long. It also erodes the company culture and employee base desire to stay long term.

Don’t focus too much on the new cross practice goals so much that you lose meaningful and deep work in the specific practices. Consultants will not be happy if it comes to mean watered down work in areas they aren’t passionate about just to show we worked across practices and meet the goals so the management team is rewarded. These goals could have unintended consequences.

Keep trying and keep doing the things in the PRO list. The positive intention of the founders and top management team is appreciated. There are many good things about the company but the negative things must be addressed, especially when we are growing so much, or we will lose what makes the company special - and the employees that make it both special and successful.

Apr 24, 2015Communications Manager

Thank you for taking the time to leave your in-depth thoughts here. You’ve obviously put a great deal of thought into your review and it’s appreciated. I’m glad to hear that some aspects of the ... More