Sleep Number by Select Comfort

Sleep Number by Select Comfort Reviews

Updated Jul 20, 2014

Sleep Number by Select Comfort President & CEO Shelly Ibach

Shelly Ibach

Pros
  • Great product with great concept and innovative product(in 15 reviews)

• Flexibility in work/life balance depending on what area of the company you are in(in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Horrible upper management starting with District Managers(in 14 reviews)

• Most District Managers are out of touch and can destroy you and your store if they want(in 12 reviews)

This is a company that cares very little about their employees

Store Manager (Former Employee)

ProsThis is a good product

ConsAge discrimination within the company
    Store goals set 20% higher than previous year which makes them difficult to reach
    Upper management not in touch with sales people
    Very political environment If you don't know the right people there is no room for advancement
    Make sure your managers are able to take their vacation time
    CEO puts all of her cronies in top positions

Advice to Senior ManagementBe kinder to your store employees and know whats going on at the store level All you care about is $$$$$
    Your training tells up how we need to listen to each others needs but you do little of this

Jul 07, 2014

Thank you for sharing your opinion. We would like to understand your concerns in more detail, so please reach out to Careers@selectComfort.com to connect with a Human Capital Representative.

The most disappointing, disconcerting and painful experience of my career.

Sleep Professional (Former Employee)

ProsThe products are amazing and they are of great value and great benefit to consumers. Product innovation is stellar. Benefits are good.

ConsStore Manager did not foster an environment of growth, did not implement company vision. The manager was not present - physically or mentally - much of the time (lack of support & guidance). I felt de-valued, demoralized, marginalized and exploited quite often. A co-worker and I had a conversation with DM re: abuses that went absolutely nowhere. As long as the numbers are there, management doesn't seen to care. I felt over-worked, under-appreciated and discounted even though I brought a lot that was positive to the position (customer service excellence, new ideas). There was a lack of communication, poor training and feedback, and abuses of scheduling and policy. I came into SN excited, thinking I'd found a home; but endured behavior, including unethical behavior, that no employee should have to endure. I left without finding a new position because my health and well- being were paramount and I was tired of being in distress. Also, in re: to goals, you only make serious money if you hit 120-140%+ of goal - often double digit increases and not necessarily reflective of economic factors. There are realistic goals and then there are fantasy goals. I also believe that a Store Manager should manage & lead, not be in competition with subordinates - the culture and sub-culture leave a lot to be desired. There is more I'd like to convey, but unfortunately, I would be writing several pages and I don't believe it truly matters because we're "replaceable".

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a look at some of your Store Managers and if Sales Professionals come to the DM or call corporate, be willing to listen and take a look rather than focus solely on numbers/dollars. If you want to be a great employer as well as a great brand, you've got some work to do, in my opinion.
    Management needs to execute the corporate Vision which, I believe, would create a more harmonious work environment at store level and positively impact morale and productivity.

Great job but not a great career.

Sleep Professional (Current Employee)

ProsThe pay is good, the product you're selling is good. If you can sell, you'll make decent money off the commission. For the experienced, needs focused, retail salesperson this could be a great job.

ConsYou're only as good as your last sales quota. With an average of 20%+ sales increases from last year, the goals are a real stretch. Also don't believe them when they tell you they're going to increase advertising to help you achieve even higher comp increases, they've promised me that very thing at least 7 times and the increased advertising has always "fallen through" do to various reasons, however the increased goals remained. The training program is not effective. It is just training modules on the computer.

Advice to Senior ManagementUse your Regional Trainers to train people instead of making training videos. When you've had the trainers out in the stores in the past, I've always seen results come from it. Also there is a widespread (nationwide from what I can tell) culture of telling you what you want to hear when it comes to how people are achieving success. I've heard, on more occasions than I can recall, store managers talk about how they achieved success on a manager conference call where they towed the company line. After the call, I spoke to them privately and they said they were just telling them what they want to hear because they don't want to hear the truth.

May 20, 2014

Thank you for your review and specific feedback. I have shared your opinion on how to best leverage our training department with the appropriate person.
  1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Sleep Associate

Sleep Number Sleep Associate (Current Employee) Little Rock, AR (US)

ProsAbove average pay
    Generous commission structure
    Great health insurance

ConsNot concerned with health or safety of employees
    High stress environment
    Financing offers not comparable to competitors

Advice to Senior ManagementListen. Try to help employees meet standards instead of weeding out good employees with unreasonable expectations. Maybe a weekend off now and then?

Wonderful learning experience

Human Capital Business Partner Intern (Current Employee) Irmo, SC (US)

ProsGreat plant atmosphere with an engaging workforce

ConsNo big issues other the factory not getting much exposure in the communities

Advice to Senior Managementmore local radio promotions. Get out in the communities in Salt Lake City and Irmo. Many people do not even know they are there.

Great company to work for!

Store Manager (Current Employee)

ProsI love my job as a store manager. The job pays well and the hours are reasonable for retail. The product is great and the sales process very effective.

ConsOnly thing is work/life balance. Need to rotate some weekends off once in awhile.

Passion and People Focused

Retail Support (Current Employee) Minneapolis, MN (US)

ProsSmall company so everyone has the ability to affect change. Company fosters collaboration and cross functional partnership. People are friendly and care about their co-workers.

ConsLack of additional education or training at corporate level, there is no ability to learn new skills. Company is growing and wants to grow but still operates as a small company in some areas.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake time to connect with employees throughout the organization. Be open and honest with plans for company and how employees can make the greatest impacts.

I used to love her, but it's all over now...

Store Manager (Former Employee) Philadelphia, PA (US)

ProsGood money. Good work environment. Good people to work with. Some room to move up. Good sales structure. Overall, good - not great.

ConsSince the new CEO took over the sales goal have been unrealistic. No solid plan for growth. There's been a shift in the focus of the company away from customer service to only sell the most expensive products. Regional Vice Presidents lead by fear and intimidation. There's a "flavor of the month" when it comes to bedding collection expectations. There's always something that you're not doing right, even if you hit goals. I was once told that my 70 percent conversion rate was too high. Then 6 months later it was too low. Just looking for something to say "gotcha"! I had twelve years with the company and was let go because "performance" when in reality they could hire someone new and pay them half as much as I was making. I was told by the Regional Vice President that "anyone can do your job" and I told him that they couldn't. Now, he found the excuse he needed to let me go.

Great for a while, exhausting in the long run.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Chicago, IL (US)

ProsLow stress with customer contact. Work life balance is fairly reasonable. Pay is very good if you perform. Great benefits, good communication structure.

ConsAll blame goes to retail front line. Not the mismanagement of corporate or bad corporate ideas. Also, goals are unrealistic at times for stores.

Advice to Senior ManagementGreat company to work for, but there needs to be less micromanaging at the store level.

Worst job I have ever had.

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) Plymouth, MN (US)

ProsThe employee discount and a few coworkers.

ConsThis is the absolute worst customer service job I have ever experienced. They have the most ridiculous attendance policy I have ever seen. I saw people getting fired for getting in an accident on the way to work. The turnover is incredible. People get fired and storm out every day. There were also people crying at their desks and having panic attacks once a week. They never got the staffing right and we were slammed by constant calls. The entire year I worked there I was terrified of getting in an accident and being fired. almost impossible to take time off without it counting against you. Supervisors are either clueless or in meetings constantly. The only time anyone acknowledges your presence is when they are telling you about something you did wrong. The pay was low and I never saw a cent of the supposed bonuses. Terrible. One of the worst years of my life. I felt like worse than a faceless number.

Advice to Senior ManagementStep down. You need to be replaced by someone who knows how to treat their employees better.

May 20, 2014

Thank you for spending the time to provide your comments. Your review has been shared with the appropriate parties and will be considered as we review our policies and procedures in the Relationship ... More

Worked for Sleep Number by Select Comfort? Contribute to the Community!