Sleep Number by Select Comfort

Updated 17 December 2014
3.1

Sleep Number by Select Comfort President & CEO Shelly Ibach
Shelly Ibach

Pros
  • Great product with great concept and innovative product (in 20 reviews)

• My roommate calls Sleep Number the "apple" of the bed industry (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Horrible upper management starting with District Managers (in 16 reviews)

• Most District Managers are out of touch and can destroy you and your store if they want (in 16 reviews)

More Highlights

Worst company to work for, they do not care about their employees.

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Plymouth, MN (US)

I have been working at Sleep Number by Select Comfort full-time (less than an year)

Pros

It is in a good location (corporate office).

Cons

Management is horrible. The company policies are disgusting, it is like being in Kindergarten again. My teen age daughter gets treated with more respect at her job that I do. Expected to do "catch up work" during your breaks and lunch, or you get talked to. No communication between management and employees, management is NEVER around to help out with questions/issues/problems. You get paid very little for what is expected of you.

Communicate with your employees. Be around to help.

Dec 12, 2014Human Capital

Thank you for your feedback. Your review has been shared with the appropriate parties within the organization.

commissions are VERY inconsistent

Current Employee - Sales Professional
    Current Employee - Sales Professional

I have been working at Sleep Number by Select Comfort full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Easy to sell product, easy to do demos. Former costumers will stop in and tell potential customers how great the product is. The flexible schedule is super nice.

Cons

After making quite a few monthly goals in a row the company decided that the goal should be double what my store sold last year. My district manager is useless. His idea of being a leader is having us email other stores in our district what we sell as we sell it all day and replies ba boom, pow or some other batman action word. Or if it's a slow day he'll try to make us feel guilty for the lack of sales and will literally try to put us on a guilt trip. Or worse yet he'll quote some motivational book he read.

If your going to extend the store hours you have to advertise that your doing that. No one ever comes to the store at 10 pm because they know the mall closes at 9. Also someone needs to get the multi store leaders more involved instead of just saying "boom" and "pow" every time someone sells something. Go back to the realistic goals of the last few months. This double last years sales is insane and disheartening. At least explain your logic instead of making bind demands.

Nov 21, 2014Human Capital

Thank you for providing some actionable feedback. I am interested in talking to you to understand some additional details. Please contact [email protected] Thank you!

Store Manager

I have been working at Sleep Number by Select Comfort full-time

Pros

Decent income, discounts, fellow employees, customers, products.

Cons

Retail hours, no work life balance, Incompetent district Manager.

Realize that the people in your stores matter. Work life balance is important as some of us actually do have family and friends. I have missed several important gatherings since being hired, however, I believe it is our DM that is to blame. Great company to work for overall and very fair compensation for work done and the benefits are not bad at all.

Freedom to help the customer

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Plymouth, MN (US)

Pros

Management gives you the power to do what's best for the customer

Cons

Lack of communication between Home Delivery and customer service

Get rid of Xogistics

This is a very innovate company. They want to be the apple of beds.

Former Employee - HD Scheduler in Plymouth, MN (US)
    Former Employee - HD Scheduler in Plymouth, MN (US)

I worked at Sleep Number by Select Comfort full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Very laid back environment. Great work culture. Good staff.

Cons

Parking. Lack of training to the stores. Lack of infrastructure in place during peak season.

Develop on online training portal to help stores and techs.

I have been working at Sleep Number by Select Comfort full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Excellent culture for employees who enjoy being challenged and rewarded, this company helps change lives!!! Company recognizes sales success with a living wage, and outstanding new products which keep it interesting.

Cons

Retail and extended holiday hours are a drag. Is it useful to open at 7 or 8 on Labor Day and stay until 10 at night? So much for the holiday.

Keep innovating, it is working!! Let go of the over-paid pompous jerks who contribute very little.

Sleep Number is constantly evolving

Current Employee - Sales Expert in Bonita Springs, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Expert in Bonita Springs, FL (US)

I have been working at Sleep Number by Select Comfort full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Pay structure allows for the ability to make a good amount of money. The company recognizes success with their "President's Circle" each year and sends them on an all expense paid vacation!

Cons

The manager I had was less than professional and I have met others that were the same. They raise your goals over 30% when you hit them which makes it much harder to hit your commission tiers.

Spend more time with your managers developing the culture that Sleep Number is all about.

Oct 14, 2014Human Capital

Thank you for providing your feedback and advice. I will pass it on!

A laid back sales experience

Pros

Great work environment. The stores are nice and decent hours.

Cons

Not being able to have outside internet options in store is a drawback. We are adults and should have access to competitor websites for comparison and knowledge.

Keep the sales plans low enough where the sales greyhounds don't stop chasing the rabbit.

"Easy job"

Current Employee - Sales Professional in Pittsburgh, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Professional in Pittsburgh, PA (US)

Pros

Low pressure selling process. This product sells itself once the customer experiences it. Great technology and a totally unique customer experience. The attention we give to customers stands out against other mattress shopping experiences.

Cons

Flow of customers can be slow at times. I could work for several days without an opportunity to speak to a customer. The boredom can be overwhelming because you work alone a good bit of the time.

Upper management seems to lack a sense of direction with the companies future. Upper management needs to understand that when they invest in advertising, customers walk in the door....when the advertising back off, so do the customers.

Difficult work environment and no work-life balance.

I have been working at Sleep Number by Select Comfort full-time

Pros

Great line of products. Vertically integrated company with good growth opportunities. New and comfortable facility. Decent benefits with annual bonus payout.

Cons

Very chaotic work environment. Insufficient resource staffing causes excessive work hours. No work- life balance. No confidence in senior leadership team.

Hire more people.