Sleep Number by Select Comfort

Updated 23 August 2014

2.9

Sleep Number by Select Comfort President & CEO Shelly Ibach
Shelly Ibach

Pros
  • Great product with great concept and innovative product (in 16 reviews)

• Flexibility in work/life balance depending on what area of the company you are in (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Horrible upper management starting with District Managers (in 14 reviews)

• Upper management not in touch with sales people (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

Great company to work for!

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Sleep Number by Select Comfort full-time for less than a year

Pros

I love my job as a store manager. The job pays well and the hours are reasonable for retail. The product is great and the sales process very effective.

Cons

Only thing is work/life balance. Need to rotate some weekends off once in awhile.

Passion and People Focused

Current Employee - Retail Support  in  Minneapolis, MN (US)
    Current Employee - Retail Support in Minneapolis, MN (US)

I have been working at Sleep Number by Select Comfort full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Small company so everyone has the ability to affect change. Company fosters collaboration and cross functional partnership. People are friendly and care about their co-workers.

Cons

Lack of additional education or training at corporate level, there is no ability to learn new skills. Company is growing and wants to grow but still operates as a small company in some areas.

Take time to connect with employees throughout the organization. Be open and honest with plans for company and how employees can make the greatest impacts.

I used to love her, but it's all over now...

Former Employee - Store Manager  in  Philadelphia, PA (US)
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Philadelphia, PA (US)

I worked at Sleep Number by Select Comfort full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Good money. Good work environment. Good people to work with. Some room to move up. Good sales structure. Overall, good - not great.

Cons

Since the new CEO took over the sales goal have been unrealistic. No solid plan for growth. There's been a shift in the focus of the company away from customer service to only sell the most expensive products. Regional Vice Presidents lead by fear and intimidation. There's a "flavor of the month" when it comes to bedding collection expectations. There's always something that you're not doing right, even if you hit goals. I was once told that my 70 percent conversion rate was too high. Then 6 months later it was too low. Just looking for something to say "gotcha"! I had twelve years with the company and was let go because "performance" when in reality they could hire someone new and pay them half as much as I was making. I was told by the Regional Vice President that "anyone can do your job" and I told him that they couldn't. Now, he found the excuse he needed to let me go.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great for a while, exhausting in the long run.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Chicago, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at Sleep Number by Select Comfort full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Low stress with customer contact. Work life balance is fairly reasonable. Pay is very good if you perform. Great benefits, good communication structure.

Cons

All blame goes to retail front line. Not the mismanagement of corporate or bad corporate ideas. Also, goals are unrealistic at times for stores.

Great company to work for, but there needs to be less micromanaging at the store level.

Worst job I have ever had.

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Plymouth, MN (US)
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Plymouth, MN (US)

I worked at Sleep Number by Select Comfort full-time for more than a year

Pros

The employee discount and a few coworkers.

Cons

This is the absolute worst customer service job I have ever experienced. They have the most ridiculous attendance policy I have ever seen. I saw people getting fired for getting in an accident on the way to work. The turnover is incredible. People get fired and storm out every day. There were also people crying at their desks and having panic attacks once a week. They never got the staffing right and we were slammed by constant calls. The entire year I worked there I was terrified of getting in an accident and being fired. almost impossible to take time off without it counting against you. Supervisors are either clueless or in meetings constantly. The only time anyone acknowledges your presence is when they are telling you about something you did wrong. The pay was low and I never saw a cent of the supposed bonuses. Terrible. One of the worst years of my life. I felt like worse than a faceless number.

Step down. You need to be replaced by someone who knows how to treat their employees better.

Sleep Number by Select Comfort Response

May 20, 2014Human Capital

Thank you for spending the time to provide your comments. Your review has been shared with the appropriate parties and will be considered as we review our policies and procedures in the Relationship ... More

Great job but not a great career.

Current Employee - Sleep Professional
    Current Employee - Sleep Professional

I have been working at Sleep Number by Select Comfort full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The pay is good, the product you're selling is good. If you can sell, you'll make decent money off the commission. For the experienced, needs focused, retail salesperson this could be a great job.

Cons

You're only as good as your last sales quota. With an average of 20%+ sales increases from last year, the goals are a real stretch. Also don't believe them when they tell you they're going to increase advertising to help you achieve even higher comp increases, they've promised me that very thing at least 7 times and the increased advertising has always "fallen through" do to various reasons, however the increased goals remained. The training program is not effective. It is just training modules on the computer.

Use your Regional Trainers to train people instead of making training videos. When you've had the trainers out in the stores in the past, I've always seen results come from it. Also there is a widespread (nationwide from what I can tell) culture of telling you what you want to hear when it comes to how people are achieving success. I've heard, on more occasions than I can recall, store managers talk about how they achieved success on a manager conference call where they towed the company line. After the call, I spoke to them privately and they said they were just telling them what they want to hear because they don't want to hear the truth.

Sleep Number by Select Comfort Response

May 20, 2014Human Capital

Thank you for your review and specific feedback. I have shared your opinion on how to best leverage our training department with the appropriate person.

Need to be a more employee friendly company.

Former Employee - Sleep Professional  in  New York, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Sleep Professional in New York, NY (US)

I worked at Sleep Number by Select Comfort full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

For the most part t was an enjoyable experience, people bought the product and it was easy to sell. The people were great and made a lot of friends

Cons

Unrealistically high goals, beds and accessories which are made in China are severely over priced. Weak leadership in my district and individual people do not get recognized at all. Only the store(s) within the district that out performs the others get any recognition.

To the district manager, you need to keep in mind that although policies are in place you are dealing with people and not just a number. The delivery service they use has cost many a Sleep Professional their deals by over promising and not delivering

Oversold position, unrealistic expectations

Former Employee - Customer Service Agent  in  Plymouth, MN (US)
    Former Employee - Customer Service Agent in Plymouth, MN (US)

I worked at Sleep Number by Select Comfort full-time for less than a year

Pros

Trained with exceptional customer service principles, excellent products.

Cons

Stats for agents way out of line along with expectations of complicated and technical and system knowledge for all products since company began. 'Help line' dishes attitude and scolds agents, very demotivating and unproductive.

Position was oversold apparently to get higher caliber agents. Leadership is defensive and doesn't listen to feedback. What started as a great opportunity quickly melted down into a waste of time. Agents have extreme accountability, poor resources. Expectations way out of balance.

Good opportunities for those willing to work

Current Employee - Customer Service Associate  in  Plymouth, MN (US)
    Current Employee - Customer Service Associate in Plymouth, MN (US)

Pros

Opportunity for growth and advancement

Cons

Executive leaders don't listen to the feedback of customer facing employees

Listen!

Great company to work for.

Former Employee - Project Coordinator
    Former Employee - Project Coordinator

I worked at Sleep Number by Select Comfort as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

I really enjoyed the people I worked with and the projects I worked on.

Cons

I didn't see anything negative while I worked there; I don't have any cons to give.

None

Worked for Sleep Number by Select Comfort? Contribute to the Community!