Sleep Number by Select Comfort Reviews

Poorly run.

Former Employee - Sales Professional
    Former Employee - Sales Professional

I worked at Sleep Number by Select Comfort full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Money can be good at times but usually not. Store was close to my home so travel time was good.

Cons

Too many to list. Poor management from top to bottom. Upper management does not care about you or your family. Bottom line is all that matters. If you were lucky enough to hit your goal they just raise it the next month so it's impossible to hit again. Then if you don't hit your goal you get written up, too many write ups and you're fired. You are told that you will get a work schedule a few weeks in advance but usually it's only a few days before that month begins, also the schedule is always subject to change so good luck making plans to do anything. If you have a family especially small children look elsewhere for a job because you will never see them. I had to come home early from being out of town on vacation because my district manager decided last minute to have a meeting and everyone had to be there. Bottom line... This place is not a good place to work unless you like long hours with little payoff and no time for your family.

Advice to Management

Care about your employees. They're not just names on a print out, they are people with lives and families. Pay more for the work they do.

2. good company to work for

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Minneapolis, MN (US)
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Minneapolis, MN (US)

I worked at Sleep Number by Select Comfort full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They car about their employees, and have different events to show appreciation.

Cons

Very strict on hours, being 60 seconds late is equal to missing half a days work, 2 minutes equal to missing an entire day.

Nov 21, 2014Human Capital

Thank you for sharing your feedback. It's great to see that you enjoyed the different appreciation events we have in our Customer Relationship Center!

3. Great products, sales process!

Former Employee - Sales Professional in Valencia, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Professional in Valencia, CA (US)

I worked at Sleep Number by Select Comfort full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Selling of a product line and accessories that is extremely easy to believe in is a big +! Performance based compensation w/ a base salary allows for growth and stability. Key performers recognized publicly makes for a positive workplace environment. Sales staff is encouraged to try out the products at home and become owner's.

Cons

Individual goals and numbers not based on LY performance and appear to be completely arbitrary. Promotions from within are not always based on achievements numbers-wise at the store level.

Advice to Management

Invest in more training of the store/district management to recognize the strengths/abilities/weaknesses of the retail staff and store leadership.

Worst company to work for, they do not care about their employees.

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Plymouth, MN (US)

I have been working at Sleep Number by Select Comfort full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It is in a good location (corporate office).

Cons

Management is horrible. The company policies are disgusting, it is like being in Kindergarten again. My teen age daughter gets treated with more respect at her job that I do. Expected to do "catch up work" during your breaks and lunch, or you get talked to. No communication between management and employees, management is NEVER around to help out with questions/issues/problems. You get paid very little for what is expected of you.

Advice to Management

Communicate with your employees. Be around to help.

Dec 12, 2014Human Capital

Thank you for your feedback. Your review has been shared with the appropriate parties within the organization.

6. Not bad

Current Employee - Sales Representative
    Current Employee - Sales Representative

I have been working at Sleep Number by Select Comfort part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Decent, but not a lot of movement

Cons

lots of pressure, management rides hard.

commissions are VERY inconsistent

Current Employee - Sales Professional

I have been working at Sleep Number by Select Comfort full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Easy to sell product, easy to do demos. Former costumers will stop in and tell potential customers how great the product is. The flexible schedule is super nice.

Cons

After making quite a few monthly goals in a row the company decided that the goal should be double what my store sold last year. My district manager is useless. His idea of being a leader is having us email other stores in our district what we sell as we sell it all day and replies ba boom, pow or some other batman action word. Or if it's a slow day he'll try to make us feel guilty for the lack of sales and will literally try to put us on a guilt trip. Or worse yet he'll quote some motivational book he read.

Advice to Management

If your going to extend the store hours you have to advertise that your doing that. No one ever comes to the store at 10 pm because they know the mall closes at 9. Also someone needs to get the multi store leaders more involved instead of just saying "boom" and "pow" every time someone sells something. Go back to the realistic goals of the last few months. This double last years sales is insane and disheartening. At least explain your logic instead of making bind demands.

Nov 21, 2014Human Capital

Thank you for providing some actionable feedback. I am interested in talking to you to understand some additional details. Please contact [email protected] Thank you!

8. work in progress

Current Employee - Sales Professional

I have been working at Sleep Number by Select Comfort full-time (More than a year)

Pros

As a sales professional I feel very comfortable recommending the high quality products in a low pressure sales environment. The products literally sell themselves.

Cons

Very flat management hierarchy, if you are reporting to a superior that you are not compatible with, your kind of stuck.

Advice to Management

Exchange policy for bedding doesn't match the most progressive retailer. Customer service isn't keeping up with sales growth

9. It has been amazing

Current Employee - Store Manager in North Auburn, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Store Manager in North Auburn, CA (US)

I have been working at Sleep Number by Select Comfort full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I love improving peoples lives through individualizing Sleep Solutions!

Cons

Working every single holiday, even the little ones like Columbus day are all required, always no matter what

10. Freedom to help the customer

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Plymouth, MN (US)

Pros

Management gives you the power to do what's best for the customer

Cons

Lack of communication between Home Delivery and customer service

Advice to Management

Get rid of Xogistics

11. This is a very innovate company. They want to be the apple of beds.

Former Employee - HD Scheduler in Plymouth, MN (US)
    Former Employee - HD Scheduler in Plymouth, MN (US)

I worked at Sleep Number by Select Comfort full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very laid back environment. Great work culture. Good staff.

Cons

Parking. Lack of training to the stores. Lack of infrastructure in place during peak season.

Advice to Management

Develop on online training portal to help stores and techs.

Sleep Number by Select Comfort Photos