Sleep Number by Select Comfort

Updated 13 November 2014
3.1

Sleep Number by Select Comfort President & CEO Shelly Ibach
Shelly Ibach

Pros
  • Great product with great concept and innovative product (in 20 reviews)

• My roommate calls Sleep Number the "apple" of the bed industry (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Horrible upper management starting with District Managers (in 16 reviews)

• Most District Managers are out of touch and can destroy you and your store if they want (in 14 reviews)

More Highlights

good Company

I have been working at Sleep Number by Select Comfort full-time (more than an year)

Pros

the customer experience, and product

Cons

the company set quotas that are usually unattainable, and actually has expanded hours on holidays as opposed to reduced hours which makes no sense. they open at 7:00am during Christmas and stay open late on The 4th of July memorialday laboe day etc, when all the other stores around them are closed they are the only one opened.

Could be a great company

Former Employee - Sleep Professional in New York, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Sleep Professional in New York, NY (US)

I worked at Sleep Number by Select Comfort full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The product is actually good. The brand is nationally recognized and it actually helps people.

Cons

Products is severely overpriced. Too many unrealistic goals they come out with a stupid product and they want you to push at all cost. It's all about the numbers. People can do whatever they want as long as the produce numbers, steal your deals or whatever if they are a top writer they won't even get a slap on the wrist. Managers in some stores compete with sales people the greedy ones continue writing deals while their people are struggling and possibly on a warning of some kind. Managers have a much lower quota than the sales people yet they are just greedy and don't care about their people. The district managers don't care at all about the individual people or the stores as long as their district hits the number and they get their bonus everything is fine. The Regional for the NY area is as narcisisstic as they come with an incredible god complex.

Get your priorities in order. PEOPLE, PROCESS and PROFITS! In that order.

Great place to work, just need better trained manager

Current Employee - Sales Expert in San Antonio, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Expert in San Antonio, TX (US)

I have been working at Sleep Number by Select Comfort full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The pay stucture, the people you get to help sleep better. Being able to help people feel better and sleep better. I loved working for this company, but there on cons mostly in the south texas store. See below. They make a great product, and at the end of the day
    You feel proud you have helped someone. Some people view bed as over priced, but they is a perfect bed for everyone income.

Cons

Not being able to offer better deals for military, wounded warriors, and wheelchair customer. These latter two customers realy benefits from the adjustable feature of lifting and lowere both head and feet.
    Second con, in the South Texas market, you heard of a few managers that are stocking her store with her young friends, and slowing weeding out the older more experienced sales professional. I heard she didn't feel comfortable in working with people as she said was her dad's age. When there was an opening at her store, she had a bunched of season sales people over the age of 35 interviewed. In the end, she decided to go with a young kid, who had no sales experienced, but hung out with the her and her other friend who was also a employee she brought on in the past 8 months.

When interviewing new employees; the interviewing manager should have someone looking over their shoulders, so they don't just hire their friends. They should be interviewed by a partial second person, who doesn't have a vested interest in them being hired. ALSo the DM shouldn't have the belief that if the sales in the store are good, there are no problems. I have heard other employees and manager voiced their opinions to the current DM, and was told but the sales are so great, they don't have any real problems.

Jul 23, 2014Human Capital

Thank you for providing your feedback. It is great to see that you connected with the Company's mission and vision. I have shared your concerns with the Human Capital Business Partner who supports ... More

Store Manager - Loved it

Former Employee - Store Manager in Amarillo, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Amarillo, TX (US)

I worked at Sleep Number by Select Comfort full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Ownership in my store, very little 'micro management'.
    Truly helped many people over the years, great feeling.

Cons

Worked a lot of weeks without a day off during busy seasons.
    Marketing that works in large cities, does not work in rural environments.

Let stores use some of the advertising budget on local things that work in that area. IE, newspaper inserts in a Thursday paper that gets little circulation may be better spent on a local radio station that reaches more shoppers.

Willing to take Change into Consideration

Current Employee - Case Manager in Plymouth, MN (US)
    Current Employee - Case Manager in Plymouth, MN (US)

Pros

It gives you the experience you may need in the future if you want to get other positions in business, marketing, etc.

Cons

Sometimes Customer Service ends up being a "trap" and some get picked to move up and gain valuable experience, and others do not.

Make opportunities for everyone who wants to move up readily available. Don't make some "hold down the fort" and never have the chance to try other projects that always tend to turn into permanent higher paying jobs.
    Reevaluate the Saturday schedule. Get a better handle on the logistics issues.

Sleep Professional

Former Employee - Sleep Associate
    Former Employee - Sleep Associate

I worked at Sleep Number by Select Comfort full-time (more than an year)

Pros

-great coworkers
    -good product
    -good manager
    -the feeling that you are genuinely helping people
    -good work/life balance
    -good sales experience

Cons

There is no communication within the departments. Delivery issues take entirely too long to get resolved and the sales people are the ones who are punished for said issues.

The sales goals are completely unrealistic unless your manager is super chummy with your DM.

The sales that are run are not competitive with other similar companies. People want a discount with extended financing, not one or the other.

Hold delivery and logistics accountable for cancelled orders. Don't punish the sales staff when we have done our job. They should all be paid on delivery. That will ensure that deliveries are actually completed.

Budget the stores for how they are trending. You'll get more favorable results for the stockholders in the long run. You'll also have a happier sales staff because they will actually make money.

Stop adding all of the new innovations. It ultimately makes it more difficult to sell what people came there to get: the Sleep Number bed. Throwing everything at the customers turns them off and drives them to the competition.

People want to buy the product, but the sales offered need to be competitive with the other companies. There is value for their money here, but not when they feel like they are not getting the best price they possibly could.

Jul 7, 2014Human Capital

Thank you for providing your feedback. It's great to see that you enjoyed your work/life balance and felt that you were genuinely helping others. Your feedback regarding opportunities will be ... More

Selling with a knife at your throat.

Current Employee - Sales
    Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at Sleep Number by Select Comfort full-time

Pros

-Good pay
    -Quality product
    -Benefits
    -Room to advance

Cons

-Highly political among upper management
    -Management threatens firing employees who are 95-99% to plan
    - Upper management does not listen to employees
     -Poor management of a store will be taken out on employees (corrections/terminations) instead of management
    -Cutthroat environment
    -Some managers takes off critical sales days or frequently leaves early, missing business opportunity
    -Rubbish advertising leaves some high volume months empty of traffic.
    -Meager call lists for lead potential
    -Your sales trends are irrelevant. Even if you make over 100% to goal for the year you may be denied promotion due to a few months drought.

Retrain or fire your managers who are consistently performing poorly, leaving early on big sales days, and stop firing employees as a result. Ease off of your cash cow sales associates when months are slow and don't punish a top performer.

Great Place to work when the hours are available. Bad place because hours can be hard to come by.

Former Employee - Home Delivery Technician in Rochester, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Home Delivery Technician in Rochester, NY (US)

I worked at Sleep Number by Select Comfort full-time

Pros

No direct supervision
    good employee discounts on products
    decent benefits
    For the most part stress free job
    Mattresses come in pieces so there is minimal heavy lifting
    Overall good paying job (during sales times)

Cons

Some weeks you would get under 20 hours in the Rochester NY region
    Work with temporary laborers through Labor Ready and you are forced to do all the driving (can travel up to 4 hours away)
    Freight company (Conway Freight) is late 85% of the time so you are behind the 8 ball all day trying to catch up and stay in delivery windows
    With no direct supervision it is hard to get a hold of management (closest manger is in Pitssburgh PA)

Management 100% needs to improve communication with the tech's.

Store Manager

Former Employee - Store Manager
    Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at Sleep Number by Select Comfort full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Decent pay.
    Flexible hours (Except holidays).
    Decent benefits.
    The Sleep Number Beds.

Cons

Horrible upper management starting with District Managers.
    Quite often mall hours.
    Quite often located in a mall.
    Can be extremely stressful.

Stop letting your District Managers be the Gustapo. They are less needed than everyone else in the chain of command. They are typically the biggest idiots with the least responsibilities.

Wow! Manager was a great liar! Never in my over 40 years of working have I ever experienced such a horrible experience!

I have been working at Sleep Number by Select Comfort as an intern

Pros

The company product is great... I own two sleep number beds.

Cons

The interview was a joke. Manager promised a job and told me to call back. I called back and the guy acted like I was an foreigner or something. He was a complete liar. I can imagine how he treats his employees! I'm glad I didn't get hired.

Get rid of this type manager...they will kill your company!

Jul 7, 2014Human Capital

It's great to see that you enjoy your Sleep Number beds! It is important to us that our candidates receive the same type of experience our customers expect, so please reach out to ... More

Sleep Number by Select Comfort Photos