Sleep Number by Select Comfort

Updated 16 October 2014
2.9

Sleep Number by Select Comfort President & CEO Shelly Ibach
Shelly Ibach

Pros
  • Great product with great concept and innovative product (in 20 reviews)

• My roommate calls Sleep Number the "apple" of the bed industry (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Horrible upper management starting with District Managers (in 16 reviews)

• Most District Managers are out of touch and can destroy you and your store if they want (in 14 reviews)

More Highlights

Passion and People Focused

Current Employee - Retail Support in Minneapolis, MN (US)
    Current Employee - Retail Support in Minneapolis, MN (US)

I have been working at Sleep Number by Select Comfort full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Small company so everyone has the ability to affect change. Company fosters collaboration and cross functional partnership. People are friendly and care about their co-workers.

Cons

Lack of additional education or training at corporate level, there is no ability to learn new skills. Company is growing and wants to grow but still operates as a small company in some areas.

Take time to connect with employees throughout the organization. Be open and honest with plans for company and how employees can make the greatest impacts.

Worst job I have ever had.

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Plymouth, MN (US)
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Plymouth, MN (US)

I worked at Sleep Number by Select Comfort full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The employee discount and a few coworkers.

Cons

This is the absolute worst customer service job I have ever experienced. They have the most ridiculous attendance policy I have ever seen. I saw people getting fired for getting in an accident on the way to work. The turnover is incredible. People get fired and storm out every day. There were also people crying at their desks and having panic attacks once a week. They never got the staffing right and we were slammed by constant calls. The entire year I worked there I was terrified of getting in an accident and being fired. almost impossible to take time off without it counting against you. Supervisors are either clueless or in meetings constantly. The only time anyone acknowledges your presence is when they are telling you about something you did wrong. The pay was low and I never saw a cent of the supposed bonuses. Terrible. One of the worst years of my life. I felt like worse than a faceless number.

Step down. You need to be replaced by someone who knows how to treat their employees better.

Sleep Number by Select Comfort Response

May 20, 2014Human Capital

Thank you for spending the time to provide your comments. Your review has been shared with the appropriate parties and will be considered as we review our policies and procedures in the Relationship ... More

Great for a while, exhausting in the long run.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at Sleep Number by Select Comfort full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Low stress with customer contact. Work life balance is fairly reasonable. Pay is very good if you perform. Great benefits, good communication structure.

Cons

All blame goes to retail front line. Not the mismanagement of corporate or bad corporate ideas. Also, goals are unrealistic at times for stores.

Great company to work for, but there needs to be less micromanaging at the store level.

Good opportunities for those willing to work

Current Employee - Customer Service Associate in Plymouth, MN (US)
    Current Employee - Customer Service Associate in Plymouth, MN (US)

Pros

Opportunity for growth and advancement

Cons

Executive leaders don't listen to the feedback of customer facing employees

Listen!

Wish I could give zero stars.

I worked at Sleep Number by Select Comfort

Pros

Compensation. The bed is worth the money. My direct manager is the only person who had any idea what was going on.

Cons

This company is blinded by the benefits of their product. Management has no time for anyone but themselves. It's a rat race that pays no mind to the people actually bringing ideas to the table, and then upper management takes all the credit. Turn around times are ridiculously short. It's pitiful. A toxic work environment that no one should have to endure.

Pay attention to your staff.

Need to be a more employee friendly company.

Former Employee - Sleep Professional in New York, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Sleep Professional in New York, NY (US)

I worked at Sleep Number by Select Comfort full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

For the most part t was an enjoyable experience, people bought the product and it was easy to sell. The people were great and made a lot of friends

Cons

Unrealistically high goals, beds and accessories which are made in China are severely over priced. Weak leadership in my district and individual people do not get recognized at all. Only the store(s) within the district that out performs the others get any recognition.

To the district manager, you need to keep in mind that although policies are in place you are dealing with people and not just a number. The delivery service they use has cost many a Sleep Professional their deals by over promising and not delivering

Oversold position, unrealistic expectations

Former Employee - Customer Service Agent in Plymouth, MN (US)
    Former Employee - Customer Service Agent in Plymouth, MN (US)

I worked at Sleep Number by Select Comfort full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Trained with exceptional customer service principles, excellent products.

Cons

Stats for agents way out of line along with expectations of complicated and technical and system knowledge for all products since company began. 'Help line' dishes attitude and scolds agents, very demotivating and unproductive.

Position was oversold apparently to get higher caliber agents. Leadership is defensive and doesn't listen to feedback. What started as a great opportunity quickly melted down into a waste of time. Agents have extreme accountability, poor resources. Expectations way out of balance.

Great company to work for.

Former Employee - Project Coordinator
    Former Employee - Project Coordinator

I worked at Sleep Number by Select Comfort as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

I really enjoyed the people I worked with and the projects I worked on.

Cons

I didn't see anything negative while I worked there; I don't have any cons to give.

None

Good while it lasted

Former Employee - Store Manager in Asheville, NC (US)
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Asheville, NC (US)

I worked at Sleep Number by Select Comfort full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Helping people get a better nights sleep

Cons

The corporate side of the business does not care about what is happening at a store level. Retail hours. Most of the stores are in malls.

Felt I was walking on egg shells the 7 yrs I was there.

Great place to build a career

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irmo, SC (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irmo, SC (US)

I worked at Sleep Number by Select Comfort full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

First of all, the product is great. I have and always will be a fan of the Sleep Number bed. The company itself has a great management team who encourages employees to do their best and promote them based off of their strengths. I personally wouldn't be where I'm at if it wasn't for my 10+ years with this organization. They are well structured throughout, offer great benefits, and offer very competitive pay as well.

Cons

There's not many to list. It can be difficult to move up within the manufacturing facilities due to the overall lack of staff positions, which is to be expected with any company.

Keep doing what you're doing!

Sleep Number by Select Comfort Response

Mar 14, 2014Human Capital

Thank you for your review. It is great to read your positive feelings towards Sleep Number, and thank you for spending 10 years with us!

Sleep Number by Select Comfort Photos