Sleep Number by Select Comfort

Updated 16 December 2014
3.1

Sleep Number by Select Comfort President & CEO Shelly Ibach
Shelly Ibach

Pros
  • Great product with great concept and innovative product (in 20 reviews)

• My roommate calls Sleep Number the "apple" of the bed industry (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Horrible upper management starting with District Managers (in 16 reviews)

• Most District Managers are out of touch and can destroy you and your store if they want (in 16 reviews)

More Highlights

Selling with a knife at your throat.

Current Employee - Sales
    Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at Sleep Number by Select Comfort full-time

Pros

-Good pay
    -Quality product
    -Benefits
    -Room to advance

Cons

-Highly political among upper management
    -Management threatens firing employees who are 95-99% to plan
    - Upper management does not listen to employees
     -Poor management of a store will be taken out on employees (corrections/terminations) instead of management
    -Cutthroat environment
    -Some managers takes off critical sales days or frequently leaves early, missing business opportunity
    -Rubbish advertising leaves some high volume months empty of traffic.
    -Meager call lists for lead potential
    -Your sales trends are irrelevant. Even if you make over 100% to goal for the year you may be denied promotion due to a few months drought.

Retrain or fire your managers who are consistently performing poorly, leaving early on big sales days, and stop firing employees as a result. Ease off of your cash cow sales associates when months are slow and don't punish a top performer.

Great Place to work when the hours are available. Bad place because hours can be hard to come by.

Former Employee - Home Delivery Technician in Rochester, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Home Delivery Technician in Rochester, NY (US)

I worked at Sleep Number by Select Comfort full-time

Pros

No direct supervision
    good employee discounts on products
    decent benefits
    For the most part stress free job
    Mattresses come in pieces so there is minimal heavy lifting
    Overall good paying job (during sales times)

Cons

Some weeks you would get under 20 hours in the Rochester NY region
    Work with temporary laborers through Labor Ready and you are forced to do all the driving (can travel up to 4 hours away)
    Freight company (Conway Freight) is late 85% of the time so you are behind the 8 ball all day trying to catch up and stay in delivery windows
    With no direct supervision it is hard to get a hold of management (closest manger is in Pitssburgh PA)

Management 100% needs to improve communication with the tech's.

Store Manager

Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at Sleep Number by Select Comfort full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Decent pay.
    Flexible hours (Except holidays).
    Decent benefits.
    The Sleep Number Beds.

Cons

Horrible upper management starting with District Managers.
    Quite often mall hours.
    Quite often located in a mall.
    Can be extremely stressful.

Stop letting your District Managers be the Gustapo. They are less needed than everyone else in the chain of command. They are typically the biggest idiots with the least responsibilities.

Wow! Manager was a great liar! Never in my over 40 years of working have I ever experienced such a horrible experience!

I have been working at Sleep Number by Select Comfort as an intern

Pros

The company product is great... I own two sleep number beds.

Cons

The interview was a joke. Manager promised a job and told me to call back. I called back and the guy acted like I was an foreigner or something. He was a complete liar. I can imagine how he treats his employees! I'm glad I didn't get hired.

Get rid of this type manager...they will kill your company!

Jul 07, 2014Human Capital

It's great to see that you enjoy your Sleep Number beds! It is important to us that our candidates receive the same type of experience our customers expect, so please reach out to ... More

Excellent organization

Current Employee - District Manager
    Current Employee - District Manager

I have been working at Sleep Number by Select Comfort full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Exceptional pay, solid training, growth opportunity, extremely good product that actually delivers, sales orientation that is 100% customer oriented

Cons

Not too many cons! Solid company

Great culture and great people!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plymouth, MN (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plymouth, MN (US)

I have been working at Sleep Number by Select Comfort full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The people are real and really care about Improving lives!

Cons

It's hard to break in to other departments unless you know someone.

Care about your front line representatives!

serious about sleep

Current Employee - Sleep Associate in Shreveport, LA (US)
    Current Employee - Sleep Associate in Shreveport, LA (US)

I have been working at Sleep Number by Select Comfort full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent training, supportive team members, customer focused, products are easy to be proud of and sell themselves.

Cons

Family benefits are expensive - can't afford them. Corporate office seems out of touch with rest of company
    too much subjective power given to managers without monitoring them

remember who the first customer is: your sales force

This is a company that cares very little about their employees

Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at Sleep Number by Select Comfort full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

This is a good product

Cons

Age discrimination within the company
    Store goals set 20% higher than previous year which makes them difficult to reach
    Upper management not in touch with sales people
    Very political environment If you don't know the right people there is no room for advancement
    Make sure your managers are able to take their vacation time
    CEO puts all of her cronies in top positions

Be kinder to your store employees and know whats going on at the store level All you care about is $$$$$
    Your training tells up how we need to listen to each others needs but you do little of this

Jul 07, 2014Human Capital

Thank you for sharing your opinion. We would like to understand your concerns in more detail, so please reach out to [email protected] to connect with a Human Capital Representative.

The most disappointing, disconcerting and painful experience of my career.

Former Employee - Sleep Professional
    Former Employee - Sleep Professional

I worked at Sleep Number by Select Comfort full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The products are amazing and they are of great value and great benefit to consumers. Product innovation is stellar. Benefits are good.

Cons

Store Manager did not foster an environment of growth, did not implement company vision. The manager was not present - physically or mentally - much of the time (lack of support & guidance). I felt de-valued, demoralized, marginalized and exploited quite often. A co-worker and I had a conversation with DM re: abuses that went absolutely nowhere. As long as the numbers are there, management doesn't seen to care. I felt over-worked, under-appreciated and discounted even though I brought a lot that was positive to the position (customer service excellence, new ideas). There was a lack of communication, poor training and feedback, and abuses of scheduling and policy. I came into SN excited, thinking I'd found a home; but endured behavior, including unethical behavior, that no employee should have to endure. I left without finding a new position because my health and well- being were paramount and I was tired of being in distress. Also, in re: to goals, you only make serious money if you hit 120-140%+ of goal - often double digit increases and not necessarily reflective of economic factors. There are realistic goals and then there are fantasy goals. I also believe that a Store Manager should manage & lead, not be in competition with subordinates - the culture and sub-culture leave a lot to be desired. There is more I'd like to convey, but unfortunately, I would be writing several pages and I don't believe it truly matters because we're "replaceable".

Take a look at some of your Store Managers and if Sales Professionals come to the DM or call corporate, be willing to listen and take a look rather than focus solely on numbers/dollars. If you want to be a great employer as well as a great brand, you've got some work to do, in my opinion.
    Management needs to execute the corporate Vision which, I believe, would create a more harmonious work environment at store level and positively impact morale and productivity.

Great job but not a great career.

Current Employee - Sleep Professional
    Current Employee - Sleep Professional

I have been working at Sleep Number by Select Comfort full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The pay is good, the product you're selling is good. If you can sell, you'll make decent money off the commission. For the experienced, needs focused, retail salesperson this could be a great job.

Cons

You're only as good as your last sales quota. With an average of 20%+ sales increases from last year, the goals are a real stretch. Also don't believe them when they tell you they're going to increase advertising to help you achieve even higher comp increases, they've promised me that very thing at least 7 times and the increased advertising has always "fallen through" do to various reasons, however the increased goals remained. The training program is not effective. It is just training modules on the computer.

Use your Regional Trainers to train people instead of making training videos. When you've had the trainers out in the stores in the past, I've always seen results come from it. Also there is a widespread (nationwide from what I can tell) culture of telling you what you want to hear when it comes to how people are achieving success. I've heard, on more occasions than I can recall, store managers talk about how they achieved success on a manager conference call where they towed the company line. After the call, I spoke to them privately and they said they were just telling them what they want to hear because they don't want to hear the truth.

May 20, 2014Human Capital

Thank you for your review and specific feedback. I have shared your opinion on how to best leverage our training department with the appropriate person.

Sleep Number by Select Comfort Photos