Sodexo USA
www.sodexo.jobs Gaithersburg, MD 5000+ Employees

Sodexo USA Reviews

Updated Apr 10, 2014

Sodexo USA Group Chief Operating Officer, Chief Executive Officer, North America, On-site Services George Chavel

George Chavel

Pros:
  • "Good benefits/Paid vacation/Sick time/401 K/Retirement"
    in 18 reviews
  • "Great benefits, company is very much about the people and doing what is right for them"
    in 17 reviews
Cons:
  • "There can be long hours and difficult tasks to complete"
    in 12 reviews
  • "Upper management needs to learn the job before trying to change how we do it"
    in 10 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Nice part-time job for retirees to suppliment pension

I have been working at Sodexo USA

Prossupplimental income, help people, tips

Consbase pay could be a bit more

A company focused on its people improving the quality of daily life of other people. Pretty satisfying.

Unit Manager (Current Employee)
Albany, NY (US)

I have been working at Sodexo USA full-time for less than a year

ProsUpward Mobility
Industry Benchmarks
Personal Satisfaction
competitive salaries

Constoo many chiefs
Not the greatest benefits (medical, 401k match, etc)

Apr 11, 2014

We're so happy to hear your review. Things like upward mobility, competitive salaries and personal satisfaction are very important in recruiting and retaining the best managers. Thank you for your ... More

fair and frim with sound operational programs

Management (Current Employee)
Indianapolis, IN (US)

I have been working at Sodexo USA full-time for more than 5 years

Prosopportunities for professional growth, ideas and suggestions are taken seriously

Conspromotions and lateral moves are at times personal preference vs qualifications

Advice to Senior ManagementInovation is key to developing new business

great til now

I have been working at Sodexo USA full-time for more than 8 years

Prosgood place to work, benifts,been there awhile,like the clients, no weekends can go anywhere in usa.

Consnot all rules for all employees, dress code not followed thru out location,upper upper management does not know the daily works of location, letting go the one's that do.

Advice to Senior Managementdo you really know what goes on everyday, walk a mile in our shoes before you judge what and why things get done or don't in the hours you give us to do it in. knowing that your bonus is based on $$$$. as we are the ones that make you look good in the eyes of the clients.

Mar 24, 2014

I'm glad you took the time to post a review, and I wanted to follow up regarding some of your concerns. It sounds like you've had pretty positive experiences up until this point, which is great. For ... More

Sodexo is a employee focused organization that has a European business operational mindset.

General Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Sodexo USA full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGreat benefits and flexibility. Truly endorses work/life balance and offers solid paid time off and separate sick leave.

ConsTheir HR department will do anything to protect the brand and positioning of the company in the marketplace. They don't necessarily look out for the benefit of employees in challenging management situations.

Advice to Senior ManagementEngage, encourage and invest in your teams such that they feel valued and empowered to be their best.

Apr 11, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. I'm glad to hear you've had many great years with Sodexo. While branding is an important aspect of business, you should always feel you have ... More

Good

I have been working at Sodexo USA

Prosfree food, good part time salary

Consno special comments. everything seems ok

Lack of leaderships

Barista/Cashier (Current Employee)
Sandy Springs, GA (US)

I have been working at Sodexo USA full-time for more than a year

Prosfree food, off on weekends and holidays

Consmicromanagement, blind leading the blind, too many cliques and employees will say "the general manager at this location show favors with certain employees at this location.

Advice to Senior ManagementHow do expect employees to exceed in our position when you don't lead. Management always complain and gossip behind their employees back but wont do anything to correct the problems.

Depends on the people you work with and for.

Marketing Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Sodexo USA full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThere are great job opportunities but only in the field that you are currently in. Was promoted twice in five years--you can do this if you share with your manager what your interests are. I have been working in the food service management side of the business and cannot get into another area such as business development, communications, HR, etc.

ConsPay is okay. Internal promotions happen but you get stuck with less pay than the person who is hired externally to do the same thing because there is a cap on salary increases with you are internal.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you have loyal employees who want to stay and grow with the company, don't limit their pay increase when they are promoted and pay them what you would if they were hired externally--THEY ALREADY HAVE EXPERIENCE IN YOUR COMPANY!

Apr 11, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback. I understand that situations like you've outlined can be frustrating, but policies and processes are always being reevaluated. It's great to hear ... More

Stressful

Food Service Supervisor (Current Employee)
Lawrenceville, GA (US)

I have been working at Sodexo USA full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe pros for working for Sodexo are that it is a well known established company with ok benefits and reasonable hours. The human resources department is very involved if there is any unsatisfied employee.

ConsCons would include that's general management does not really care about current employees and it takes very long for entry level positions to get a worthy raise.

Advice to Senior ManagementTalk to employees and actually care about their concerns

Apr 11, 2014

Hi there- I'm sorry to hear you've had a poor experience in your role. It sounds like you've already taken the right steps by reaching out to your HR department. I encourage you to hang in there, as ... More

Good company, but culture depends on your location

Crew Member (Former Employee)
Moscow, ID (US)

I worked at Sodexo USA part-time for more than a year

ProsWhile working at Sodexo, I felt like I was a part of something big. It was nice to be a part of such a large operation with so many different stations. You get the opportunity to work at each station and master each one individually. This keeps the job interesting and you feel like you are learning a lot of different things. The location where I worked did a reward program in which anytime an employee did something good, management would write them thank you cards and present them at your next shift at the pre-shift huddle/meeting. This really did create a positive reinforcement environment and made the employees feel valued. I can't stress how positive this was.

ConsOverall, the company will vary greatly from location to location. For instance, Sodexo is at university campuses, airports, hospitals etc. It's hard to achieve an across-the-board overview of the company. Therefore, any review you find will reflect that specific location. Having said all this, Sodexo at a university setting will tend to have many students working there. Because of this, there will be a lot of turnover among the part-time students. The full-time workers tend to be working professionals who are not students and therefore there is a sort of split between the full-time employees and the part-time employees. There was no consistent Sodexo culture. The culture at this location was difficult to see as it seemed to be in the process of being developed by management. Training was okay, but the mandatory meetings did not always achieve their training goals.

Mar 24, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to post a review! It sounds like you had several great experiences at Sodexo, which we're glad to hear. As far as culture goes, as you mentioned, work environments will ... More

Worked for Sodexo USA? Contribute to the Community!

Sodexo USA Videos

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Sodexo USA reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Sodexo USA CEO George Chavel . All 286 reviews are posted anonymously by Sodexo USA employees.