Sonoco Products Reviews

Updated 15 August 2014
Updated 15 August 2014

3.1

M. Jack Sanders

Pros
  • Sonoco offers many positives which include opportunities for advancement, access to senior management, and good pay for the area (in 6 reviews)

• Great management, employees are empowered, very open atmosphere, fantastic people, very competitive pay (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Small town cliques within employee base (in 5 reviews)

• Very disrespectful to upper management (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Stepford wives club

I worked at Sonoco Products full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Sonoco has lots of cash and spends capital appropriately. Upper management is very good at financial management.

Cons

Middle management is very insecure based on lots of change and uses politics to position and insulate themselves out of fear. Business skills are not really valued unless you're one of the boys. Hartsville is bad place.

You need to understand what's really happening in your business and how talent is being disenfranchised. Your one size fits all talent assessment model is EEO friendly but not serving you well.

Manager

I have been working at Sonoco Products

Pros

Flexible place to work as the Operation Manager is not on site all the time and when they are Corporate has them in so many calls and meeting they truly can not focus on managing their staff or plant. Any member of our staff can fly below the radar and get by doing very little with no true accountability for it. If someone is looking for a place to slide by, then they should look into working at the Portland facility.

Cons

Minimal pay for the hours that you put in as a staff. Benefits are middle of the road at best. Leadership at the plant levels, in Portland anyway, are a joke at best. Favoritism, Sexism, Racism are then norm. Old school they say, you bet! One day our team is going one way, the next, in another direction. Just seems like little to no business plan as long as we hit the numbers. Oh and safety it is important but when incidents do occur be ready for pressure to be applied to cover it up or make sure it wasn't work related.

More like advice to Corporate here: get some help into the Portland facility to dig into what is truly going on there. Talk to former employes at both the hourly and salary levels. Do a deep dive as it is not going to be an easy task finding out what is going on and people that will talk. Still willing to give Sonoco a chance, however way too much of the former companies mentality at this facility.

Good job for young career

I worked at Sonoco Products

Pros

Lots of opportunity for me

Cons

Unstable work environment for me

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Total lack of recognition of dedication & effort. Distrust is rampant at all levels. Company lacks direction.

Former Employee - Production Management
    Former Employee - Production Management

I worked at Sonoco Products full-time

Pros

Decent pay & benefits, generally safety minded, some good people, plenty of opportunity to get involved

Cons

High burnout rate, little support for middle management, expect senior leadership to undermine you & deflect blame your direction, low margin business model, punishes bad news & rewards office-politicers

Support the leadership in the plants that are struggling to make this happen with bare bones staffing & financing, tough work conditions & maximium hours. Reevaluate some of the low margin business segments you are in & cut them loose.

By far the worst place I have ever worked

Former Employee - Production Supervisor
    Former Employee - Production Supervisor

I worked at Sonoco Products full-time

Pros

Demanding job, chance to showcase skills
    Constantly moving, never bored

Cons

Micro-management to the extreme
    Weak mid level management

Still doing business in the dark ages.

I have been working at Sonoco Products full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Very good pay structure.
    Excellent focus on safety.

Cons

Does not embrace technology.
    Poor capital reinvestment.
    They run every business as if it is a paper plant.
    Most politically driven good ole' boy network I've ever been around.

There are some fundamentally bad decisions made at a very high level.
    Cronyism is rampant in this company.

MBA Sourcing Internship

Current Employee - Strategic Sourcing Intern
    Current Employee - Strategic Sourcing Intern

I have been working at Sonoco Products as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Excellent people. Directed training. Meaningful projects.

Cons

Location. Hartsville is a tough place to live as a young professional.

Manager

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Sonoco Products full-time

Pros

Good work/life balance. Competitive pay. Good career/succession planning for those fit desired profiles.

Cons

Company struggling to catch up with technology advances.

Focus on growing various business sectors and invest in developing customer relationships.

Good place to start a career

Former Employee - Process Engineer
    Former Employee - Process Engineer

I worked at Sonoco Products full-time

Pros

Sonoco paper mills are small operations that allow you to get to know the entire process. Great experience for an engineer just starting out. They also invest in training for their employees.

Cons

The Sonoco organization, at both a mill and corporate level, appears to be very dysfunctional. In my experience, most of the management was very two-faced and creating a negative atmosphere. Also, their benefits and salary compensation are below par in comparison to other paper mills.

Old mentality - But very strong and solid company.

Current Employee - Corporate  in  Hartsville, SC (US)
    Current Employee - Corporate in Hartsville, SC (US)

I have been working at Sonoco Products full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The culture is based around people building business. You are both challenged and supported by your peers. Safety is always the number one concern.

Cons

Hartsville is a small town with very little to do outside of work. The mindset is also old. Technology does not have a Global footprint yet. The opportunities to work abroad are there but are hard to come by. Expat program should be strengthened.

Sonoco has given alot of money to help revitalize Hartsvillle, but the town also needs the physical support of upper management to participate in town, community & economic development sessions in order to make Hartsville a selling point for visiting customers andnew hires.

Worked for Sonoco Products? Contribute to the Community!