Southwestern Advantage

Southwestern Advantage Reviews

Updated Apr 09, 2014

Southwestern Advantage Chairman & CEO Henry Bedford

Henry Bedford

Pros:
  • "Your communication skills increase dramatically"
    in 7 reviews
  • "Incredible work environment, great people, awesome mentors"
    in 7 reviews
Cons:
  • "long hours: these taught me how to work hard regardless of my emotions"
    in 15 reviews
  • "Commission based, long workday, very hard work, lots of rejection, working on your own for most of the day"
    in 12 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

not a bad experience

Salesperson (Former Employee)
Los Angeles, CA (US)

I worked at Southwestern Advantage as an intern for less than a year

ProsThe job gives you the opportunity to see yourself clearly, especially your weaknesses. If you keep working your hardest, you will get a decent result.

ConsNot everyone is suitable for the kind of working environment. It may be rewarding but the working conditions could be really harsh. You spend a lot of time on tedious stuff and you may not get the kind of results that you thought you would get.

Advice to Senior Managementgood mentorship available management is good

Could not have challenged myself more or put myself in the company of greater people. Game Changer.

Student Manager (Former Employee)
San Diego, CA (US)

I worked at Southwestern Advantage part-time for more than 5 years

ProsExtensive and continuous personal growth and improvement.
Build a deep foundation of skills and character
Supportive and encouraging environment of coworkers so will challenge and encourage you
Great opportunity for financial gain

ConsVery challenging and truly requires exceptional work and commitment
Not glamorous
Requires moving to a different state for the summer (negative for some)
Not conducive for maintaining romantic relationships without much sacrifice and understanding

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to invest in your employees, they are the future makers of America

Awesome growth and great relationships

Corporate Recruiter (Former Employee)

I worked at Southwestern Advantage full-time for more than a year

ProsAmazing growing opportunities - personal growth + resume.
Lots of support from sales managers and student managers.
Amazing leaders and role models
Phenomenal training on cycle of selling - prospecting, product knowledge, close.
Great transitional job between college and career.
Sky is the limit, great commission rate.
Great network of alumni looking to help one another.

ConsLong hours in selling and recruiting.
Product needs to improve, especially the online component.
Public relations - just nature of the job (direct selling), difficult to deal with people negatively talking about you on Facebook.

Advice to Senior ManagementThanks Dan, Lee, Henry, and all the other leaders for caring a lot about the students you work with. Your leadership and example are amazing.

Wonderful leadership and amazing employee's

Corporate Recruiter (Current Employee)

I have been working at Southwestern Advantage full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe opportunity for personal growth is uncapped. The leadership and training is great.

ConsIf you do not work hard you won't make any money.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep it up!

No better way to develop professionally and personally than through a summer or two with Southwestern Advantage

Sales Representative (Former Employee)

I worked at Southwestern Advantage as an intern for more than 5 years

Pros- travel to a different part of the country (exchange program)
- great sales and marketing training from the best in the industry (over 100 hours of training)
- you earn 40% commission on all the products you sell plus monthly residual payments from their online website services
- get to meet some of the best people who will become some of your closest friends and future colleagues
- the managers really pour into you and care about you and your future
- increases your professional marketability to future employers

Cons- top students that make over $6,000 in the summer tend to work 80+ hours per week

Huge Growth, Huge Challenge,

Salesperson/Student Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Southwestern Advantage as an intern for more than a year

ProsSuper Positive energetic environment, good pay, supportive

ConsBe careful which "team" you get plugged into. They all have the same core values, but each goes about teaching them differently, and emphasizes different aspects.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more transparent, and/or stick to what you say.

All work no play

Bookman (Former Employee)

I worked at Southwestern Advantage as an intern for less than a year

Prosyou learn a lot about yourself, you meet new fun people. You also get good training and positive reinforcement.

ConsWhere to start...
You are a door to door salesman who is supposed to wake up by 5:59am Monday through Saturday and work until 10pm. 100% commission and you are away from friends and family. You are encouraged to wake up ppl in the morning and night. You will lose money if you are not good

Advice to Senior ManagementStop with the RIDICULOUS hours for these kids and give them a base salary.

Summer of Craziness

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Southwestern Advantage

ProsGood friends, the possibility of good money

ConsExtremely long hours, unsafe territory, inexperienced management, no guarantee of money

Advice to Senior ManagementSpend the time to look after your first year before the summer starts

The best thing you can do during college! LSU Geaux Tigers!

Sales Representative (Former Employee)

I worked at Southwestern Advantage full-time for more than 3 years

ProsMaking a lot of money I made over 15K in 12 weeks each summer for the last 3 summers! The most Awesome hands on experience! I am graduating in a couple weeks and people want to hire me and you learn really learn how to sell which is a great skill to have especially when companies are interviewing you! best thing I did over my college career hands down. If you are reading this review bc your on the fence if you believe in yourself and are confident in your ability to do well then you will have a great summer! I Sold in Parkersburg,WV; Orlando,FL; and Columbus,OH. Also the living with host families is awesome! ~EC~

Consyou give up your whole summer which wasnt really a big deal for me bc I got to go to different states to sell each summer! Also working 80+ hrs a week to some people may be a con but I enjoyed it you work hard all summer and play hard during the fall and spring during the school year!

Very good if you are cut throat, cold, emotionless business person

Book Salesperson (Former Employee)

I worked at Southwestern Advantage as an intern for less than a year

ProsTons of connections, lots of personal success, very funny and highly motivating, definitely has the charisma to motivate people and make them think that all the factors of sales come down to them.

ConsExtremely deceitful, thinks of company first. Southwestern Advantage profits come before EVERYTHING, even your own safety. Dishonest at times, more in a sense that he will trick you into thinking everything negative is your fault. He can seem slightly sexist at times.

Advice to Senior Managementbe honest with your interns. You preach accountability but don't nesc accept it when you have failed to provide an intern with a safe place to live. Stop teaching your interns DANGEROUS WORK HABITS such as map making while driving, this is a lawsuit waiting to happen (assuming it hasn't already which im sure it has)

Worked for Southwestern Advantage? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Southwestern Advantage reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Southwestern Advantage CEO Henry Bedford. All 99 reviews are posted anonymously by Southwestern Advantage employees.