Southwestern Advantage

Updated 1 August 2014

4.4

Southwestern Advantage Chairman & CEO Henry Bedford
Henry Bedford

Pros
  • The opportunity for personal growth is uncapped (in 9 reviews)

• You have the opportunity to make a lot of money (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • long hours: these taught me how to work hard regardless of my emotions (in 19 reviews)

• 80 hours a week through torrential downpour or blistering heat waves during the summer (in 13 reviews)

More Highlights

Being a salesperson is very tough.

Pros

You can make some money.

Cons

They take the life out of you.

A huge growing experience

Pros

The number one reason to work at SW is to run your own business and learn the nature of the people of the United States.

Cons

It is the hardest thing i have ever done four summers in a row. Long hours and time alone.

Hardest but absolutely the BEST thing I could've done for myself.

Former Employee - Independent Contractor  in  Grove City, OH (US)
    Former Employee - Independent Contractor in Grove City, OH (US)

Pros

Incredibly hard working, motivated, and positive co-workers and management. Incredible sales experience. Sell 3 months out of the year, recruit and train the remaining 9. Consistent and daily support and coaching. Move as a group.

Cons

Must make a large sum of money to profit and sustain you for the remainder of the 9 months you are not being paid. Cold calling for 14 hours a day can be difficult.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Real Deal about Southwestern Advantage

Current Employee - District Sales Manager
    Current Employee - District Sales Manager

Pros

Your communication skills will enhance incredibly, your network with other people will grow, your resume will improve and you'll stand out amongst your peers

Cons

It will be very challenging for you, travel away from friends and family during the summer

Only recruit someone if you truly believe that they will do well. The more honest you are on the front end the easier it will be to train someone for success in the program.

Be Ready to Work... A lot

Current Employee - Student Dealer/Direct Sales
    Current Employee - Student Dealer/Direct Sales

Pros

Overall, it was a good experience. I learned a lot and finished as a top first year employee and even got the President's Club award.
    You have the opportunity to make a lot of money.
    It looks great on your resume.
    All expenses paid vacation for top performers.
    Got a lot of job offers from sister companies after I graduated college, but I didn't want to make a career in this type of environment.

Cons

100+ hour work week if you want to be successful.
    Cult-like company culture (But a lot of good people).
    A lot of employers have never heard of the company, so you need to spend a lot of time explaining it on future interviews.
    The exaggerate how good their company looks on a resume.

I think the management does a good job at training and keeping employees motivated. They just need to better explain that the job is very difficult and go into more detail on the day-to-day before hiring people.

I learned more with Southwestern than I did in college.

Former Employee - Corporate Recruiter
    Former Employee - Corporate Recruiter

Pros

-Earn what your worth
    -awesome incentive trips
    -great people and leaders
    -opportunity for promotion
    -real-world experience while your in college
    -opportunity to work a lot of hours

Cons

-Away for the summer
    -No guarantees

Southwestern isn't for everyone and the management thinks the students should do it all the way through college and beyond. I honestly believe that every student in college with a good work ethic and drive wouldn't be able to spend their summer in a better way, however I don't believe it is a 4 year program for everyone.

I will give you words of encouragement.

Former Employee - Book Slinger  in  Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Book Slinger in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

Pros

- I made over 45,000 dollars gross, and 20,000 net in the entire 3 summers that I worked with Southwestern.
    - You get the right foundation of sales experience before you graduate, hence learn how to be a professional at a very young age.
    - Your communication skills increase dramatically. This is overlooked by almost everyone who work there.

Perspective as a (now) recruitment consultant:
    - you are set apart by other candidates because it shows that you are ambitious, a risk taker, and an effective communicator.
    - You are able to demonstrate innate ability and knowledge of sales, meeting KPIs, and business development.
    - Your student/sales manager will always provide a positive reference as long as you finish the summer.
    - Looks good on your resume in ANY discipline/industry.

Hardcore Truth about business:
    Southwestern WILL sugarcoat A LOT to recruit you. DO NOT take offense to this because at the end of the day they are trying to proactively recruit young, motivated students to put money into their own pockets, but at the same time provide an opportunity for you.
    This program is a "BUSINESS BOOT CAMP." You work extremely, incredibly hard but you will mature above and beyond your other peers. I can promise you that. If you have breezed through life without any worries about the future then I forbid you to sell books.

Cons

There has been enough cons on this website already, but the biggest red flag at the company has been their recruitment strategies.

Managers: Please stop sugarcoating information to prospective students - you're doing an incredible disservice to yourself and piling up on the already bad reputation that we have on most campuses. Most of the time you don't actually have faith in your own rookies so why in the world did you recruit them. Quality vs quantity please.

Do NOT stick around with Southwestern for more than 1 year after you've graduated. This will work against you because companies will not acknowledge b2c as professional experience. You will still most likely work as a junior sales person and never move into management position at any companies simply because SW is b2c. Please keep in mind and don't let your ASL or DSMs convince you to stick around for a long time.

best sales experience while in college

Pros

learn to work hard
    self motivation
    prospecting
    approaching
    sales cycle
    build own client base
    learn how to take rejection in sales

Cons

must be willing to work hard to get results!

Best College Experience in the United States!

Former Employee - Field Sales Leader
    Former Employee - Field Sales Leader

Pros

World-class sales and management training. Phenomenal mentors. Incredible opportunity to develop skills, habits and attitudes that opened many doors after leaving Southwestern!

Cons

Hard work. Sacrifice summers. Freedom and flexibility to determine own schedule. Requires an individual to continually test mental and emotional boundaries and step outside comfort zone.

Opportunity mixed with difficulty

Current Employee - Sales Representative  in  Westfield, NJ (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Westfield, NJ (US)

Pros

Learning practical strategies for discipline is fantastic, the communication coaching and experience is vital for success post-graduation. Real-life expectations, no babying, no guarantees and no limits. Learning how to overcome problems and maintain a positive attitude. Developing leadership skills. Amazing experience to put on a resume, though I don't intend to work for anyone else ever. This company started me on the entrepreneurial path to success and the principles I learned here will stick with me for the rest of my life. The senior management invests a ton of emotional energy in each student who works there and they have helped me to define a purpose for my life, set goals to get there and break those goals down into action steps. Plus I get free career counseling for life. I can only imagine where I would be if I had not made the decision to take a huge risk and go work HARD not at a job, but on myself.

Cons

Negative perception of MLM companies by some people in society.
    Takes a lot of pain to grow.
    I have worked every summer, though that is hardly a con, since otherwise I would've wasted them hanging out with friends and not growing.
    Money is not guaranteed, you earn what you're worth.
    Raised expectations of my potential make every other job seem quite pale in comparison. (Hard to go back to a Mitsubishi after you've driven a Cadillac.)
    This job is NOT easy. If you are not willing to work hard and grow, you will fail.

I respect and admire you all so much. Thank you for doing what you do and for helping young students like me to grow and develop our potential. I know of many students who say their lives were changed through this program.

Worked for Southwestern Advantage? Contribute to the Community!