Southwestern Advantage

Updated 27 January 2015
4.2

Southwestern Advantage Chairman & CEO Henry Bedford
Henry Bedford

Pros
  • Great people, willing to help you better yourself (in 9 reviews)

• The opportunity for personal growth is uncapped (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • long hours: these taught me how to work hard regardless of my emotions (in 21 reviews)

• Working 80 hours a week for possibly nothing (in 15 reviews)

More Highlights

Sw Advantage taught me success principles at an early age that helped me develop better habits and thought processes.

Former Employee - Salesperson/Student Manager
    Former Employee - Salesperson/Student Manager

I worked at Southwestern Advantage as an intern (more than 3 years)

Pros

Some of the best training around. The leaders of this company really take an interest in nurturing young minds and making leaders out of each person. I have never met a more charismatic leader than Dan Moore; his philosophies and empathy are awe-inspiring.

Cons

It is incredibly hard, every aspect of every job in this company. Some people don't like to step outside the box and work tirelessly toward a goal. I don't see this as a con for the company, but more something that some people find intolerable.

A job not everyone can do

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Ewing, NJ (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Ewing, NJ (US)

I worked at Southwestern Advantage as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

I really like that the company gives college kids the opportunity to run their own business and potentially make a lot of money. You'll also get the chance to make a lot of really good friends, meet a lot of cool people and even meet and keep in touch with families you otherwise would've never met.

Cons

It's definitely a job that takes a certain kind of person to finish. You'll have to be very independent and be able to keep yourself motivated and positive throughout the day. You'll get a lot of doors slammed on you but you have to keep positive and go on to the next one on your own.

I wish there was free housing so that we didn't have to worry about paying rent while being on commission only.

hardest lesson learned = one you remember

I worked at Southwestern Advantage

Pros

The principals that they teach you and the enthusiastic people around you provides a great atmosphere to work. Most if not all the lessons are not provided by but learned through hard work and dedication. Gives college students a chance at genuinely getting communication skills. Hardest thing I've ever done but absolutely the best thing I've could've done for myself.

Cons

You're selling books door-to-door, 80 hours a week, on straight commission, by yourself, in a place you've most likely never been to, for the whole summer.

Very challenging internship. Think twice before you enroll

Former Employee - Student Dealer/Direct Sales in Reading, PA (US)
    Former Employee - Student Dealer/Direct Sales in Reading, PA (US)

I worked at Southwestern Advantage as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Good for taking you out of your comfort zone. You will have to negotiate your own accommodation (by knocking door to door) and connect with residents in a wide range of towns for book sale.

Cons

Very tiring and dangerous. I have been harassed for more I can remember. A lot of my peers quit before they progress to the 1st month of sales. I had to relocate because both my roommates quit and build my relationship in a new town.

You get out what you put into it

Former Employee - Sales Intern in Nashville, TN (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Intern in Nashville, TN (US)

I worked at Southwestern Advantage as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Chance for lucrative compensation in or right out of college

Cons

Difficult, not structured, company mentality can sometimes verge on cultish.

spend more time training recruits, and provide more emotional support.

Great life experience

Current Employee - Organizational Leader in Nashville, TN (US)
    Current Employee - Organizational Leader in Nashville, TN (US)

I have been working at Southwestern Advantage full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

great company values and work culture, gives opportunity to reveal one's potential and grow as much as possible

Cons

time consuming, very intense adn challenging

Great opportunity in college

I worked at Southwestern Advantage as an intern (more than a year)

Pros

Learn to work hard, friendships, and emotional intelligence.

Cons

It's tough, the hours are long.

Put more effort into people building.

worth it

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Cincinnati, OH (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Cincinnati, OH (US)

I worked at Southwestern Advantage full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Teaches necessary skills to be successful professionally. The things I learned with southwestern have gotten me countless job interviews and is an amazing talking point in interviews.

Cons

the hardest summer internship you will do (and as such the most rewarding)
    you will want to quit at some point, and powering through gives an amazing sense of accomplishment

Yes, its challenging, but absolutely worth it.

Former Employee - Field Sales Leader in Nashville, TN (US)
    Former Employee - Field Sales Leader in Nashville, TN (US)

I worked at Southwestern Advantage full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

SWA brings College Students in as Interns and offers immediate employment after college, providing you did well in the position in the previous year. The seminars and coaching are outstanding. Seriously, I have never left a seminar NOT feeling inspired to do my job. The leaders all started where the interns did and walk the walk. This place offers true Sales and Management Experience for those willing to work. The people are quality and will be the movers and shakers of this generation.

Another thing; this company welcomes positive change and listens to its employees. Within my employment there, many ideas that I either had, or that were discussed were put into action within years, sometimes months of the idea forming.

Cons

Selling Books/ Recruiting/ Managing Teams can be very challenging and you are expected to put in the hours. 80+/weekly during the summer/selling and 60+/weekly while recruiting. The system works though. Everything that is taught, is through the experience that yielded success from another Employee. The work/ life balance is not equal. Consider certain parts of this job an investment in your career bank account.

Keep listening to younger employees and staying current on what future customers want in education

SW Advantage is truly helping young people develop the skills they need to achieve their goals in life, 100%.

Current Employee - Associate Sales Leader
    Current Employee - Associate Sales Leader

I have been working at Southwestern Advantage full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Plenty of room for growth and GREAT loads of money to be made for those who earn it. In 12 weeks I made $20,000.

Cons

It's hard work... which is great because everyone else wants the easy way out.

Thank you!