Spectra Energy

Spectra Energy Reviews

Updated Jul 13, 2014

Spectra Energy Chairman, President and Chief Executive Officer Greg Ebel

Greg Ebel

Committed to a work/life balance environment.

Supply Chain Analyst (Current Employee) Houston, TX (US)

Proswork-life balance, office culture, great benefits, work schedule

ConsSupply Chain structure is somewhat confusing

Advice to Senior Managementnone

Excellent and comfortable environment, well suited for folks that value job security over carrier growth.

ProsVery nice people, excellent working conditions, great flexibility, job security, true to the "employer of choice" values.

ConsExtremely controlled communication environment which stifle creativity. Very narrow job assignments that do not allow for growth. Reaching outside the job scope is more or less "punished" instead of discussed.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere's a great book called "leadership and self deception". Most of the folks are "in the box" and need coaching/help.

Accounting Analyst

Analyst (Former Employee) Houston, TX (US)

ProsGreat People, great benefits, great opportunities to serve the community.

ConsWrong people in management positions.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great company that is going places

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Houston, TX (US)

ProsVision-driven company that actually believes in a balance between work and personal life balance. Smart executive management that is consistently executing a successful growth company. Solid benefits and vacation package.

ConsMany within the company are unwilling to change old ways to embrace a new company environment. Pay may not be good enough to keep the best performers. Engineering bias makes other disciplines feel like secondary employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat all professional disciplines equally. A engineer fresh out of college gets a better office than a well-experienced and educated professional. Otherwise, keep up the great work!

Great company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat company culture and they are competitive with pay and opportunities.

ConsIt is better if you are not a contractor. Then its much like family.

Mechanical Engineer in Training

Mechanical Engineer (Current Employee) Fort Nelson, BC (Canada)

ProsSpectra offers great opportunity for hands on experience. Working at field operation locations is a huge benefit to gaining great work experience.

Benefits and pay are on par with industry.

ConsSpectra struggles to attract senior personnel due to perceived "undesirable" locations in Northern BC.

This place SUCKS!

Administrative (Former Employee) Vancouver, BC (Canada)

ProsSix weeks holidays, good benefits

ConsThe 'manager' in my department was the worst micromanager known to man. No one wanted to work for this person thus a high turnover rate. There was all sorts of psychological abuse and bullying going on. I was not provided with sufficient training and struggled. How does one learn with a five minute overview on something complicated? There are way too many computer programs to deal with. The process to carry out work, even simple things, is a convoluted endeavour riddled by the run around from the many different departments. The company wastes way too much money on things, ie, having meetings at very expensive hotels and having them catered when it's really not necessary. Give that money to the United Way. Also, flying down to Texas was a waste since this program we were to learn was not even functional yet so we did 'testing' instead which begs the question "Who is running the show". There are positions there that a) there really is no need for; b) you wonder what that person does with the ridiculous title, ie, manager of diversity - what is that and is it really needed? If you have no personality, like an extremely conservative environment, enjoy getting the run around, this is the place for you. I could go on and on....

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't let 'managers' report to someone that works in a different country because it's harder to know if they are 'managing' people correctly. When someone complains constantly about an individual and it is known that they are a problem, get rid of them. They are costing the company money in terms of turnover and/or payouts.

Quit asking for employee opinions; do something positive.

Project Manager (Current Employee) Houston, TX (US)

ProsFlexible work schedule and alternative work week

ConsHyper political to the point that middle managers (director) sabotage each other.

Promotion opportunities are nonexistent

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of the directors you have, especially in IT. Get rid of poor performers and stop putting contractors in key roles and keep wondering why there is no growth in leadership. Contractors are only interested in job security. So you pay some contractors high rates, they build little kingdoms unto themselves and you wonder why there is so much disfunction. Wake up!

Great place to work

Proswork life balance is great

ConsI don't really have any cons to list

Advice to Senior Managementn/a

Positive overall

ProsSpectra Energy has a good corporate culture. It invests in its employees, and has a relaxed work environment. The work life balance is good with the flex hours program where you can get every other Friday off.

ConsThe career progression can be slow. Management wants to be 110% sure that someone will excel in the role before they make the move. It can be frustrating waiting for the next promotion.

Worked for Spectra Energy? Contribute to the Community!