Sports Authority

Updated 9 September 2014
Updated 9 September 2014
2.7

Michael E. Foss

Pros
  • The employee discount is acceptable, but basically in line with other retailers (in 50 reviews)

• Cost plus 10% days (which brings the price down to what you would pay at Walmart but hey, we appreciate your hard work (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • Customer service is supposed to be primary focus but company gives you no tools to do so (in 31 reviews)

• Upper management sets ridiculous sales goals that are very very tough to reach (in 31 reviews)

More Highlights

The job keeps me busy.

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Rockwall, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Rockwall, TX (US)

I have been working at Sports Authority part-time for less than a year

Pros

work-life balance, able to request off when needed, the job keeps me busy so I'm not bored at work

Cons

doing 2-3 peoples jobs in one shift, constantly short handed, unorganized management

Learned how to execute sales and customer service

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Frederick, MD (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Frederick, MD (US)

I worked at Sports Authority part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

My managers were great! Sense of humor and if you work hard. They gave you more hours. My co-workers were very nice and made working fun. We even hung out outside of work.

Cons

The stress of the District managers coming into the store.

Keep up the good work!

Sports Authority

Former Employee - Receiving Associate  in  Greenville, SC (US)
    Former Employee - Receiving Associate in Greenville, SC (US)

I worked at Sports Authority full-time for more than a year

Pros

Co-workers that I worked with were awesome.

Cons

Lack of growth opportunities. Management had been management for over 15 years and the only way someone would've gotten promoted was if a current manager would have passed away.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great for Part-Time

Former Employee - Cashier
    Former Employee - Cashier

I worked at Sports Authority part-time for more than a year

Pros

Flexible Hours, Friendly environment, Great customer service. It was very import that we made sure every customer was greeted and helped.

Cons

They stress the loyalty program. We had to be very pushy to the customers to get them to sign up. We also never seemed to have enough cashiers working at one time.

Have more sales and better advertising. I think people often forget about Sports Authority.

Sports Authority.

Former Employee - Cashier  in  Tucson, AZ (US)
    Former Employee - Cashier in Tucson, AZ (US)

I worked at Sports Authority as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Empolyees are amazing to work with.

Cons

Number and goals that you have to meet are kind of ridiculous. Had to have more than 40% of customers sign up for store discount card or you would get yelled at.

Keep doing what you're doing.

If you like sports, it's a good place to work.

Current Employee - Sales Authority  in  Santa Clara, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Authority in Santa Clara, CA (US)

I have been working at Sports Authority part-time for more than a year

Pros

You get a great employee discount on everything. This is great especially for christmas and birthday presents, beach trips, and camping trips.

Cons

90% of the people you work with are idiots, ex-cons, or ex-drug dealers.

don't hire idiots

Great for those content on not growing with an organization

Current Employee - Operations Team Leader
    Current Employee - Operations Team Leader

I have been working at Sports Authority full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Atmosphere is great. The employee discount is amazing.

Cons

Customers can scream and spit at you and the company will always take their side. Store Management is not always on the same page and some managers shouldn't be "managers" they lack the skill set to be an effective leader. Advancement is almost nonexistent.

Take care of your employees. Retail is not easy and finding great employees is hard. Find ways to motivate your employees. Define your return policy. There have been too many occasions when we follow the return policy but a customer gets upset and upper management takes back a non-returnable item. It makes the store level employees look like idiots.

Great Company to Work For! Just need to work all the time.

Current Employee - Store Manager  in  Gainesville, VA (US)
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Gainesville, VA (US)

I have been working at Sports Authority full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Benefits, discounts, internal development, training, and many advancements from within. With new CEO in place we are beginning to see a good future. Highly supportive of him. People person and speaks to everyone. He is just not all talk. Does what he says. Foss is the right guy.

Cons

Work Life Balance. Changing of 3 CEO in the last 6 years. No hunt and fishing in stores.

Work life balance. People need to spend time with their families on Thanksgiving and Easter Sunday. Corporate office receive many perks but stores are left with pictures from how much fun they have in Denver.
    Benefit perks are for Denver based. There needs to be funds for team building. We see pictures all the time of Denver having fun doing, races, runs and events.

Been thru a lot with this company....some very good, some very bad.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Englewood, CO (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Englewood, CO (US)

I have been working at Sports Authority full-time

Pros

Company is currently focused on developing a very positive work culture and seems to be working. Great coworkers and management. Advancement opportunities for the young, innovative mindset. Great benefits.

Cons

Serious systems issues. Stuck in the 80's and getting new processes/systems implemented is almost impossible with such high turnover on a very small I.S. staff. Often, company brings in "off-shore" help to handle maintenance issues, but the language barrier makes the process even more difficult and frustrating. Due to these problems, many teams find new ways to work around the current issues rather than fixing them.

Invest in new systems and the support needed to properly maintain them.

Unimpressed

Former Employee - Analyst  in  Englewood, CO (US)
    Former Employee - Analyst in Englewood, CO (US)

I worked at Sports Authority full-time for less than a year

Pros

Decent people to work with. The company tries to incorporate an active lifestyle into the everyday grind of this place.

Cons

The headquarters are a joke. It is 2 building built out of a warehouse with dingy meeting rooms, dust on the pictures and walls and awful paint jobs. The management is mediocre at best. It's like being back in high school. This place is incredibly clickish and the pay is underwhelming. Overall, you are best to not work here. There are layoffs all the time.

Learn how to manage by adapting to your employees instead of forcing them to adapt to your style. Find directors that are approachable and not complete and utter "yes men/women". Find a way to implement training in a way that works and is successful and get rid of lazy inept managers. Just because someone is bright or good at what they do does not mean they are good managers. Recognize this.

Worked for Sports Authority? Contribute to the Community!