Sports Authority Reviews

Updated 23 August 2014
Updated 23 August 2014

2.7

Michael E. Foss

Pros
  • The employee discount is acceptable, but basically in line with other retailers (in 50 reviews)

• Cost plus 10% days (which brings the price down to what you would pay at Walmart but hey, we appreciate your hard work (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • Customer service is supposed to be primary focus but company gives you no tools to do so (in 31 reviews)

• Upper management sets ridiculous sales goals that are very very tough to reach (in 31 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Company to Work For! Just need to work all the time.

Current Employee - Store Manager  in  Gainesville, VA (US)
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Gainesville, VA (US)

I have been working at Sports Authority full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Benefits, discounts, internal development, training, and many advancements from within. With new CEO in place we are beginning to see a good future. Highly supportive of him. People person and speaks to everyone. He is just not all talk. Does what he says. Foss is the right guy.

Cons

Work Life Balance. Changing of 3 CEO in the last 6 years. No hunt and fishing in stores.

Work life balance. People need to spend time with their families on Thanksgiving and Easter Sunday. Corporate office receive many perks but stores are left with pictures from how much fun they have in Denver.
    Benefit perks are for Denver based. There needs to be funds for team building. We see pictures all the time of Denver having fun doing, races, runs and events.

Great for those content on not growing with an organization

Current Employee - Operations Team Leader
    Current Employee - Operations Team Leader

I have been working at Sports Authority full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Atmosphere is great. The employee discount is amazing.

Cons

Customers can scream and spit at you and the company will always take their side. Store Management is not always on the same page and some managers shouldn't be "managers" they lack the skill set to be an effective leader. Advancement is almost nonexistent.

Take care of your employees. Retail is not easy and finding great employees is hard. Find ways to motivate your employees. Define your return policy. There have been too many occasions when we follow the return policy but a customer gets upset and upper management takes back a non-returnable item. It makes the store level employees look like idiots.

Fun place to work for your first job

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Glendale, CO (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Glendale, CO (US)

I have been working at Sports Authority part-time for more than a year

Pros

Fun environment to work in and friendly co-workers.

Cons

if you don't have a lot of experience with sports its a challenge to work here

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Fun place to work!

I have been working at Sports Authority full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great service atmosphere for customers and employees, great discount and a decent balance between work and home, especially considering its retail! Managers are supportive and helpful and seem to always be vested in their employees success.

Cons

Pleasing customers, having the right product, maintaining the store and going through corporate visits!

As a whole, I think the managers do a good job running the store while also trying to keep both customers and employees happy. And that can be very challenging in a retail environment. I'd say some advice to corporate is to get a more updated computer system and a better online warehouse!

Team Leader Merch/Visual (Store Management)

Current Employee - Team Leader Merch/Visual (Store Management)  in  Fort Myers, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Team Leader Merch/Visual (Store Management) in Fort Myers, FL (US)

I have been working at Sports Authority full-time for more than a year

Pros

I enjoy helping and educating people.

Cons

The culture of salaried employee are replaceable, little value

treat people fair and with respect. Treat them like they count and are important to the company.

ok for a first job

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I have been working at Sports Authority part-time for less than a year

Pros

Great cowokers some are very nice, AMAZING discount, management is for the most part nice.

Cons

Some workers are lazy and that cause you to do double the work. limited amount of hours available, they tell you that by selling ECP's and AOS' you will earn more hours however that wasn't true. Can employ more staff closing more than 75% of the store in one hour is impossible especially for one employee while the rest don't anything.

thank your employees when ever you have the chance, and pay attention to those employees who constantly keep getting compliments from customers and always meet sale,ecp, and aos goals.

It was fine, pay is not very good.

I worked at Sports Authority as a contractor

Pros

casual workplace, people nice, boss nice

Cons

pay not good, kind of crappy warehouse type office

Busy at times, but lots of walking around aimlessly

I worked at Sports Authority part-time for more than a year

Pros

Enjoyed working with co-workers. Fun environment if you enjoy any of the products that sports authority sells

Cons

Time off must be requested via computer system, many store managers creates difficulty and miscommunication

Better connection between store managers...each manager seemed to have a different idea and vision of the store. Makes it difficult for employees to go extra-mile or put forth best effort when not sure what to do

Unorganized and unprofessional.

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Novato, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Novato, CA (US)

I have been working at Sports Authority part-time for less than a year

Pros

The employee discount was one of the best I have ever heard of, the dress code is very relaxed, from what I have noticed at other stores, co-workers of the same rank get along very well.

Cons

Hours are extremely inconsistent (I personally was forgotten to be put on the schedule multiple times), managers are extremely unorganized, never presented with opportunities for advancement within the company.

Review expectations of managers and how they should plan schedules.

It's a decent place to work.

Former Employee - Senior Sales Authority  in  Secaucus, NJ (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Sales Authority in Secaucus, NJ (US)

I worked at Sports Authority part-time for more than a year

Pros

There is a great opportunity to earn extra pay through commission system.

Cons

District managers promote some to supervisor/manager positions without training them properly.

Better training for Supervisors.

Worked for Sports Authority? Contribute to the Community!