Sports Authority

Updated 18 September 2014
Updated 18 September 2014
2.7

Michael E. Foss

Pros
  • The employee discount is acceptable, but basically in line with other retailers (in 50 reviews)

• Cost plus 10% days (which brings the price down to what you would pay at Walmart but hey, we appreciate your hard work (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • Customer service is supposed to be primary focus but company gives you no tools to do so (in 31 reviews)

• Upper management sets ridiculous sales goals that are very very tough to reach (in 31 reviews)

More Highlights

Very good yet incredibly boring.

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Warwick, RI (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Warwick, RI (US)

I have been working at Sports Authority part-time for less than a year

Pros

I loved working in Team Sports, loved helping customers and being able to use my sports knowledge in an effort to help customers. They dont ask much from associates other than to simply approach customers and at least try and make some sales, which is not terribly difficult when people are mindlessly staring at random products. Loved the benefits of working there, good hours, great managers.

Cons

Incredibly boring when no.customers are present. Often spent my time playing street hockey in the aisles or bouncing tennis balls for hours. Had a 36 hour sale once and had three customers come in.

Market better.

The experience was very good.

I worked at Sports Authority for more than a year

Pros

The prose are there is a Flexible staff, with a very good good atmosphere, and lots of team work. Very cooperative leadership.

Cons

The cons to working here would be the salaries are not competitive for a career, unless you climb the ladder.

Keep all staff happy and wanting to strive for a great store.

Overworked due to cutbacks

Former Employee - Asset Protection Department
    Former Employee - Asset Protection Department

I worked at Sports Authority full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Nice corporate office
    Long term managers

Cons

Large cutbacks to make the company more profitable made it hard to complete your work in less than 50 hours a week

Too many changes at once due to poor leadership in the past

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

ok place to work at

I have been working at Sports Authority

Pros

Good employee discount and the hourly pay is above minimum wage plus commission to give employees incentive to sell more

Cons

inconsistent work schedule and hours, will have 40 hours one week and 24 hours the next

Typical retail job, good if you know and love sports

I worked at Sports Authority

Pros

good customer service, fun atmosphere

Cons

forced too conservative dress, forced upsell

Loyal and competitive within their competition and throughout the retail market.

Current Employee - Operations Team Leader  in  Plano, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Operations Team Leader in Plano, TX (US)

I have been working at Sports Authority full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

New CEO who I finally feel "gets it" in this competitive industry. Great first job and always an opportunity to move up within the company. Great employee discount, cost +15% from what Sports Authority pays for the product.

Cons

Biggest challenge I have noticed being in management with Sports Authority. Payroll always is an issue, employee turnover rate has never been very good. The most successful and pleasurable store managers to work for, are younger! 30-40's. The older generation of retail store managers have to go. I have worked with Sports Authority for 8 years and this seems to be more and more visible throughout the years.

It really goes further than direct department and store management. It starts with the district manager, he at the end of the day has the most say in who and where your managers end up. Unless Sports Authority as a whole learns how to train and develop more young people throughout the company things will never change. Like any company their are alot of political aspects in alot of personal decisions. Which quickly shows throughout the associates and the stores productivity, good, bad or in different.

It's like playing for a team

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Sports Authority part-time for less than a year

Pros

Good coworkers, competitive environment, decent pay, ok hours, fun products to sell

Cons

Recovering for the night was tough because of huge store, management iffy

Respect employees more

Doesn't value work life balance

Current Employee - Department Lead  in  Denver, CO (US)
    Current Employee - Department Lead in Denver, CO (US)

I have been working at Sports Authority full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great hours working at the distribution center!

Cons

Changes to schedule quite frequently with no notice.

Company only cares about loyalty program, sa promoter,eclipse, aos and cares not about employees or customers.

Current Employee - Co-Manager
    Current Employee - Co-Manager

I have been working at Sports Authority full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Benefits aren't bad pay ok

Cons

Loyalty program is causing good employees to make up emails in order to have a good percentage so they get hours. No hours for payroll but they expect you to run projects, do moves, get numbers, help customers, run sales floor, and manage store with 3 ppl every day. 3 in am 3 in pm. No hours to help customers cause they expect unacheivable goals to be met. No training for associates no product to sell in store, they want us to sell items online more then in store.

Give stores payroll to have cashier at all times and 3 sales ppl plus manager. Even hiring an $8 hr cashier for 20 hours a week would be a start. Stop paying bonuses to dms and vps who don't co tribute to sales. Pay ppl who are actually working and dont get weekends off and Thanksgiving. Yea sending Happy Holidays emails and telling us to enjoy time with family is impossible when we are working late nights, early mornings, weekends, and yea HOLIDAYS... as your all being with family we are working. Get a Clue

I worked at sports authority for a month and wow what a waste of my time. HORRIBLE place to work at!

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Irvine, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Irvine, CA (US)

I worked at Sports Authority part-time for less than a year

Pros

Some of the employees were actually really friendly, get paid one dollar more than minimum wage job, able to move up to management,

Cons

Management was a joke, old as hell registers, horrid 1st day training,rewards cards were a hassle.

How about you actually train your employees! AND stop getting on employees butt about the rewards cards! We all know that if you get more rewards cards registered YOU managers get huge BONUSES

Worked for Sports Authority? Contribute to the Community!