Sports Direct Reviews

Updated 29 August 2014

2.4

Sports Direct CEO David M. Forsey
David M. Forsey

Pros
  • Easy work, 15% discount, holiday pay every 3 months (depending on your hours) (in 7 reviews)

• First job, so allowed me to gain retail experience (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • zero hour contracts make it a pressured environment (in 13 reviews)

• 72 ph if you're under 18 (minimum wage) (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Great company to work for if you are interested.

Former Employee - Assistant Manager/Store Manager
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager/Store Manager

I worked at Sports Direct full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Excellent career advancement opportunities, great bonus incentives for full-time staff and excellent incentives for Casual staff.

Cons

For some the zero hour contract poses a bit of an issue with respect to guaranteed hours, but for most it is very agreeable. Occasional unsociable hours.

Every store operates differently due to the individual qualities of different store managers. Some seem highly motivated and desire to be at work where others are simply coasting along held by the promise of untold wealth to come.

NOT BAD BUT I LOVE MY NEW JOB

Current Employee - Casual Sales Assistant  in  London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Casual Sales Assistant in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Sports Direct full-time for more than a year

Pros

Fun customers, lots to do, you not allowed to be seen standing around so you always keep busy , pays not bad, worked with a few good people, deliveries and stock take were always fun

Cons

Time limits are not enough so you feel like its impossible, BFL sales are hard work but if you have banter with the customers then your more likely to sell, work load is a lot sometimes depending on how many people you have on shift and zero hour contracts, so you pretty much always on call

RECONSIDER ZERO HOUR CONTRACTS and my mind to you 'Store Managers'

an exhausting but both a financially and emotionally rewarding experience!

Current Employee - Casual Sales Assistant  in  Crayford, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Casual Sales Assistant in Crayford, England (UK)

I have been working at Sports Direct part-time for more than a year

Pros

making friends with other staff and becoming a little family helping enthusiasm and motivation around the store

Cons

lots of tasks to do in little amount of time! can be challenging sometimes

breaking down large tasks to prevent demotivation and discouragement of enthusiasm in the store which can reflect badly onto our customers giving them an unpleasant shopping experience

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Well run store, other staff helpful and had a good time working for them

Former Employee - Sales Assistant  in  Trowbridge, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Trowbridge, England (UK)

I worked at Sports Direct part-time for less than a year

Pros

-Team worked very well together
    - Some of the staff who worked there had been there for some time which suggested there were good opportunities
    - Was working as a summer job. I was treated as well as other staff and offered a good amount of hours

Cons

- No parking arrangements for the store I was in so I spent quite a bit to park for work.

- Subsidise or arrange parking

Enjoy working there because your hard work is easily noticed by the management.

Current Employee - Supervisor  in  Bradford, Yorkshire and the Humber, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Bradford, Yorkshire and the Humber, England (UK)

I have been working at Sports Direct full-time for more than a year

Pros

If you're a hard working individual your work will be noticed and highly appreciated. it's an expanding company and it's easy to be promoted just need to be committed and motivated to improve the standards of your shop and give the best customer service possible.
    Great career opportunities as its easy to be promoted!

Cons

Long hours, working 50+ hours a week gets to you and sometimes you are simply tired. Your social life is affected.

Promote more people within the company as some worked very hard for a very long time and deserve a promotion. Instead of getting management from outside the company with no retail experience. The staff end up training the management above them, which is not fair as they get paid lot lot more.

A valuable experience on how to work for an employer that treats its staff as expendable assets.

Former Employee - Casual Sales Assistant  in  Newcastle upon Tyne, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Casual Sales Assistant in Newcastle upon Tyne, England (UK)

I worked at Sports Direct part-time for more than a year

Pros

The only pros I can think of for working for Sports Direct is the staff discount, the ability to earn some cash and to develop people & communication skills.

Cons

I think there are a lot of cons for working for an organisation like Sports Direct. The work/life balance is none existent, as they expect you to work ridiculous hours, sometimes with no breaks, and even on days where you have booked them off for occasions such as weddings. Not just from my own testimony but from others as well, they treat their staff as expendable. If you can't come into work for whatever reason, whether it is college commitments (as i was only part time) or due to illness, they still expect you to come in or "you can look for another job". Also most senior leaders, apart from one or two, have zero people skills and talk to their staff in a very disrespecting and aggressive manner as some sort of motivation tactic or to vent their own frustration.

A top to bottom restructuring of the organisation should be looked at, as well as a better selection process of those in a senior role, such as store managers and supervisors in order for create career progression opportunities and staff fulfillment.

Soul crushing, barely legal, mentally screwing hellhole. And no I am not exaggerating.

Former Employee - Casual Sales Assistant  in  London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Casual Sales Assistant in London, England (UK)

I worked at Sports Direct as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

There are none. I wish I could say one positive thing I really do I'm not a fussy person. I just wanted a job to tide me by - it beats unemployment. But not with these people.

Cons

Oh so many.... This is A company that BARELY operates within the law. Everybody is on a 0 hour contract so they can take advantage of staff desperate for hours. No sick pay no holiday pay. They don't air condition to save costs so every day is like working in the Sahara desert. This company needs to be taken through the courts and shut down. The way they treat their staff is criminal. I worked there for 2 years and barely survived, was hardly able to feed myself, let alone have any form of a life outside of work. Despicable company run by despicable people. Keep the I-Pad you're giving away - use the costs to help the poor souls still in employment there.

Well there's only one thing I'd say here and it's for the one particular manager that came after me from day 1 of my employment.

Stay away from me. For your own benefit. The anger I hold in my heart to this day for you is greater than any anger I've ever held for another human being.

Unreliable

Former Employee - Sales Assistant  in  Elgin, Scotland (UK)
    Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Elgin, Scotland (UK)

I worked at Sports Direct part-time for less than a year

Pros

Friendly staff and good induction system

Cons

I was put on a zero hour contract and i turned up to work one morning and me along with the rest of the staff stood outside closed shutters and an empty store. They had shut the branch without informing us and i never saw my managers again and had no chance to get details for a reference

Keep in contact with the staff.

Casual Sales Assistant- awful experience.

Former Employee - Casual Sales Assistant  in  Hull, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Casual Sales Assistant in Hull, England (UK)

I worked at Sports Direct part-time for less than a year

Pros

they let you turn down shifts etc and you work depending on your own availability

Cons

This was my first proper retail job and the only training I got was about 2 hours help on the till. I was left to do everything else with no help, and I had to figure things out, which caused a lot of delays during returns etc and tidying/restocking shop floor.
    My colleagues weren't very friendly either- it really didn't feel like teamwork at all, just everybody competing with each other.

BE more supportive and friendly!

friendly staff but terrible hours. pay and promises.

Former Employee - Casual Sales Assistant  in  Cheltenham, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Casual Sales Assistant in Cheltenham, England (UK)

I worked at Sports Direct part-time for more than a year

Pros

easy to get time off for doctors, holidays etc.

Cons

no holiday pay, no guaranteed hours, no sick pay, minimum wage, no career opportunities, no promotions. wouldn't get you anywhere in life.

career opportunities, promotions, guaranteed hours.

Worked for Sports Direct? Contribute to the Community!