Sprint

Sprint CEO Dan Hesse

Dan Hesse

(1,163 ratings)

1,746 Employee Reviews

Pros:
  • "Free phone service for one device"
    in 130 reviews
  • "Work life balance is good depending on which area of the business you are working in"
    in 100 reviews
Cons:
  • "Be prepared to be extremely fake to upper management if you want to get promoted"
    in 65 reviews
  • "The company didn't have a great reputation for customer service & devices"
    in 53 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Decent place to work but be careful.

Application Developer II (Former Employee)
Overland Corner

I worked at Sprint

ProsPeople that worked there are great. My management was great with allowing us to telecommute one day a week. They were also flexible if issues came up and you had to change your work schedule some. The 401K benefit was good, dollar for dollar up to 5% of your pay. Benefits include Medical, Dental and Vision. They also had voluntary benefits such as car and home insurance, pet insurance. The bonuses are being paid out quarterly now and not yearly, which is better because you get what you earned and not lose it when one quarter of the year tanked.

ConsThe layoffs they have been having makes it kind of worrying to work there. Also even though they say they won't expect same amount of work with less people after the layoffs they seem to still expect it. There was bonuses but no raises this year, just hope that doesn't become a trend. Also the job grades got consolidated and so there isn't as much promotion from one grade to another, though they can promote you in grade to a different level but it is confusing on how that all works. Also they seem to embrace everything that was Legacy Nextel and have to change everything over that way, but that is my perception.

Advice to Senior ManagementInstead of cutting lower level employees and expecting the remaining ones to do the same work as did before upper management, especially really upper management needs to take a pay cut or decrease the amount of them.

Treat people well

I have been working at Sprint full-time for more than 10 years

Prosover 20 years there has been plenty of opportunity to change jobs. management seems keen to develop employees. Benefits have been good, and pay is very good.

Consmorale has been suffering, primarily due to lagging financial performance. Cost cutting has become the mantra. Layoffs of good people has resulted in challenging reorganizations. Promotions have been very uncommon for past 5 years, as many management positions have been cut. Most leaders are now doing the job that used to be done by 2-3 people, often with higher titles.

I have worked at Sprint 14 years. I love the people. Overall it is a great place to work with good work-life balance.

Marketing Manager (Current Employee)
Overland Park, KS (US)

I have been working at Sprint full-time for more than 10 years

ProsThe people are amazing. There's a real sense of family and community.
The campus is new and fantastic - with a 3-story gym.
All of the teams are different and there's a chance to move around and try new things.
They allow you to move after a year if you don't like what you're doing or are bored.
Benefits are good.
I feel like Sprint has really nurtured me - allowed me to grow and learn and try new things.
They let you work from home one or two days a week
Some groups are very innovative and forward-thinking - pockets of the org
CEO is just great, everybody loves Dan Hesse.
Competitive salary

ConsFairly political.
sometimes, work is not challenging, but you get a phenomenal work-life balance in exchange.
It can be hard to break through the old-school wireline mentality in some groups.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake smart decisions - fact-based decisions.
Focus on the network. Without it, we are nothing.
Challenge employees. Trust employees.

Technical Consultant

Technical Consultant (Current Employee)
Milwaukee, WI (US)

I have been working at Sprint full-time for more than 8 years

ProsIt was good and fulfilling work. Loved helping people and accomplishing a goal that helps others.

ConsManagement is not always the best.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn how to build people up after you tear them down.

Great place to work

I have been working at Sprint

ProsBenefits chance to make more money chance to advance

Consthere could always be more benefits

Great Company but downsizing

Manager Call Center (Current Employee)
Sacramento, CA (US)

I have been working at Sprint full-time for more than 10 years

ProsFun environment and a great company to work for. I was part of a highly successful team. , Senior leadership was very open and honest about the business which drove performance. Good Benefits, 401K, ESSP, Good bonus compensation opportunity.

ConsNot enough time to keep up with all the requests unless willing to work 10+ hours per day. Long hours to get the job done to earn the incentive pay. In 2014 Sprint is in a downsizing mode so be aware.

Great company to work for

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Sprint

ProsGood work environment, good coworkers, family oriented, Tuition reimbursement, god benefits

ConsSome managers are not tactful, long hours on holidays, point system, constant downsizing, high turn over rate

Awesome

Customer Care Specialist (Current Employee)
Charlotte, NC (US)

I have been working at Sprint full-time for more than a year

ProsI love working for this company. This is a great place to work.

ConsThe system sometimes crashes on us.

Advice to Senior Managementmore incentives are needed

I was hired at a painful time for Sprint. It had a lot of debt and record losses. Still a very good company.

Technical Consultant (Current Employee)
San Antonio, TX (US)

I have been working at Sprint full-time for more than 3 years

ProsDecent money if you don't have a degree or a lot of experience. A fairly good opportunity for advancement in the sales side. Despite its troubled past there are good things in the future for Sprint. Stick it out with this company and you will likely be part of a winning team with a great outlook for a least the next decade.

ConsIf you are a technical consultant there is very little room for advancement unless you are willing to start all over on the sales side, although there a few exceptions. The company is still reeling from the botched merger with Nextel. In their haste to compete in the marketplace and perhaps out of fear of another big failure, Sprint has been afraid of innovation (e.g. kowtowing to Apple's ludicrous terms and conditions). Still Sprint has a lot of assets and an aggressive workforce that is only now beginning to show its true potential.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe senior management is a bit old fashioned. Try to appeal to the lower (and younger) echelons of the company without condescending to them. Overall I am very please with the senior leadership. They are very accessible and responsive.

Really cares about people

Customer Care Account Services Specialist (Former Employee)
Overland Park, KS (US)

I worked at Sprint full-time for less than a year

ProsAmazing benefits, good pay, supporting environment. Very rarely did I get the feeling that we didn't matter, which is not common when working on a big corporate campus as the 'little people'.

ConsKeeping you stats where they want them to be when they change month to month and rules and policies can change with less then a days notice could be a challenge but as long as you made and effort you could generally do well enough to avoid any sort of disciplinary measures.

Worked for Sprint? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Sprint reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Sprint CEO Dan Hesse . All 1,746 reviews are posted anonymously by Sprint employees.