Sprint Reviews

2,260 Reviews
3.2
2,260 Reviews

Marcelo Claure

Pros
  • PTO Free phone service and not extremely stressful as a technical consultant (in 164 reviews)

• The best thing about Sprint is the work/life balance that working there provides (in 144 reviews)

Cons
  • Weird drink the Koolaid mentality when the upper management is scheduled to visit (in 90 reviews)

• Multiple years of staff reductions continues to drive work/life balance challenges (in 35 reviews)

More Highlights

Decent place to work but be careful.

Former Employee - Application Developer II in Overland Corner
    Former Employee - Application Developer II in Overland Corner

I worked at Sprint

Pros

People that worked there are great. My management was great with allowing us to telecommute one day a week. They were also flexible if issues came up and you had to change your work schedule some. The 401K benefit was good, dollar for dollar up to 5% of your pay. Benefits include Medical, Dental and Vision. They also had voluntary benefits such as car and home insurance, pet insurance. The bonuses are being paid out quarterly now and not yearly, which is better because you get what you earned and not lose it when one quarter of the year tanked.

Cons

The layoffs they have been having makes it kind of worrying to work there. Also even though they say they won't expect same amount of work with less people after the layoffs they seem to still expect it. There was bonuses but no raises this year, just hope that doesn't become a trend. Also the job grades got consolidated and so there isn't as much promotion from one grade to another, though they can promote you in grade to a different level but it is confusing on how that all works. Also they seem to embrace everything that was Legacy Nextel and have to change everything over that way, but that is my perception.

Instead of cutting lower level employees and expecting the remaining ones to do the same work as did before upper management, especially really upper management needs to take a pay cut or decrease the amount of them.

Good compensation and excellent benefits

Former Employee - National Account Manager in Chicago, IL (US)
    Former Employee - National Account Manager in Chicago, IL (US)

I worked at Sprint full-time

Pros

Good people. Work anywhere is the philosophy. Go into office for meetings only.

Cons

Network is challenged and has been for years. Tough sell for enterprise reps unless customer is already using Sprint.

figure out a long term strategy and stick with it. Knee jerk reactions to business are the norm.

If my job hadn't ended, I'd gladly still be with Sprint.

Former Employee - Sales Support in Portland, OR (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Support in Portland, OR (US)

I worked at Sprint full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The technology industry pays every well. Sprint had no advantage with country-wide increase cost in health benefits. They have company match with 401K and annual performance incentives tied to the entire region as well as personal incentive opportunities. Company communication is frequent and fairly open (as far as I know, as an individual contributor). There are lots of opportunities for industry and professional training.

Cons

The telecommunications industry is fast-paced and ever-changing with advances in technology. Sprint generally has a couple layoffs a year. It was a miracle I lasted for almost 20 years.

The Directors have an annual measurement/evaluation of management's career pathing with direct contributors to keep the company competitive and hold onto the tenured employees with the intelligence. In my opinion, the expected mentorship doesn't happen as it should.

Working at Sprint

Former Employee - Human Factors Engineer in Overland Park, KS (US)
    Former Employee - Human Factors Engineer in Overland Park, KS (US)

I worked at Sprint full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I loved every minute of working at Sprint! The projects were exciting and the working relationships were solid.

Cons

The only con for me was cutting the budget for the UX department.

Diversified but limited supporting business sales

Former Employee - Solutions Engineer in Overland Park, KS (US)
    Former Employee - Solutions Engineer in Overland Park, KS (US)

I worked at Sprint full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great variety of responsibilities and opportunities to progress into new areas and learn new things.
    Compensated very well.
    Great benefits.

Cons

New areas for learning was usually because of the lack of a required thing not getting done by those that should have, so really out of necessity, many times lack of support with what was needed. And if troubleshooting active customer issue, difficult to initially get required assistance until enough proved out there was a serious issues, either because volume went up, or someone investigated and proved out what was being brought to them.
    Attempts to objectify required job duties in ways not really possible to, unless just totally invalid stats, rather than upper management just understanding and appreciating the width and breadth of what was being accomplished.

Know what is being done rather than basing it on numbers, which can be bogus anyway, understand some required duties don't lend well to a PowerPoint slide with a graph.

FUN AND COOL PLACE TO WORK

Current Employee - Supervisor in Hampton, VA (US)
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Hampton, VA (US)

I have been working at Sprint full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

fun environment and great place to work learned about the company advancement fun activities for family leadership very open and honest about company status. the teams i had the pleasure to be on made my job easier and very fun and being top performer

Cons

shifts have a lot of odd hours if you have small children sometimes goals for bonus was hard to reach you just have to be persistant it can be done time off policy is not bad and pto is great

leadership is great assist you to advance in the company

If you are looking for a position that really gives you the ability to move up, this is definately it!

Former Employee - Lead Retail Consultant in Las Vegas, NV (US)
    Former Employee - Lead Retail Consultant in Las Vegas, NV (US)

I worked at Sprint full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Training is very in-depth with all the different systems that they use to make your job a lot easier. You are constantly trained on the latest cell phone technology. You have a lot of benefits including PTO, free cell phone service, great insurance, and discounts on accessories. Even with a big corporation like Sprint they try as hard as possible to do the most for their customers. Yes, I know sometimes they can't.

Cons

High quotas. Really not an issue if you know how to sell. No set schedule usually. Most likely get transferred to different stores.

Great company to work for if you live in Kansas City

Former Employee - Manager in Reston, VA (US)
    Former Employee - Manager in Reston, VA (US)

I worked at Sprint full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good benefits; work flexibility; good management from former Nextel staff

Cons

Management positions were being staffed in Kansas City

Look at talent globally, not locally.

Demanding but rewarding customer service opportunity for committed salesmen

Current Employee - Retail Consultant in Fairfax, VA (US)
    Current Employee - Retail Consultant in Fairfax, VA (US)

I have been working at Sprint full-time (more than an year)

Pros

No cell phone bill. Great benefits, flexible schedules, decent leadership at local level

Cons

The demand that you squeeze every dollar possible out of your customers will hurt any type of customer service trust relationship you have with you customers.
    Literally money is the only thing that matters to Sprint these days.

Don let your desperation to improve the company blind you to what customers actually want from their cell phone provider.

Nice place to work. good work/life balance.

Current Employee - RF Engineer III in Herndon, VA (US)
    Current Employee - RF Engineer III in Herndon, VA (US)

I have been working at Sprint full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Has decent benefits and salary. good work/life balance.

Cons

some layoff is on going. still in transitioning situation.