Sprint Reviews

2,164 Reviews
3.2
2,164 Reviews

Marcelo Claure

Pros
  • You get free phone service and family gets phone discount perks also (in 154 reviews)

• Work life balance is good depending on which area of the business you are working in (in 121 reviews)

Cons
  • Be prepared to be extremely fake to upper management if you want to get promoted (in 81 reviews)

• Multiple years of staff reductions continues to drive work/life balance challenges (in 26 reviews)

More Highlights

Decent place to work but be careful.

Former Employee - Application Developer II  in  Overland Corner
    Former Employee - Application Developer II in Overland Corner

I worked at Sprint

Pros

People that worked there are great. My management was great with allowing us to telecommute one day a week. They were also flexible if issues came up and you had to change your work schedule some. The 401K benefit was good, dollar for dollar up to 5% of your pay. Benefits include Medical, Dental and Vision. They also had voluntary benefits such as car and home insurance, pet insurance. The bonuses are being paid out quarterly now and not yearly, which is better because you get what you earned and not lose it when one quarter of the year tanked.

Cons

The layoffs they have been having makes it kind of worrying to work there. Also even though they say they won't expect same amount of work with less people after the layoffs they seem to still expect it. There was bonuses but no raises this year, just hope that doesn't become a trend. Also the job grades got consolidated and so there isn't as much promotion from one grade to another, though they can promote you in grade to a different level but it is confusing on how that all works. Also they seem to embrace everything that was Legacy Nextel and have to change everything over that way, but that is my perception.

Instead of cutting lower level employees and expecting the remaining ones to do the same work as did before upper management, especially really upper management needs to take a pay cut or decrease the amount of them.

A good place to work

I have been working at Sprint full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The best thing about Sprint is the work/life balance that working there provides. No one below the Director level works excessive hours. In fact, on campus the lights turn off automatically at 5:30 because everyone is gone!!! Additionally, due to budget constraints very few people are even allowed to travel, so 99%+ of employees don't even travel 1 time per year. No one can say the work/life balance is bad at Sprint!!!
    The work is generally interesting and very fast pace. Most of the people are great to work with and there is a lot of team work -especially at the corporate level.
    The benefits are very solid, although they get a little worse every year - higher copays, deductibles or premiums.

Cons

As a career employee, my biggest complaint is how they structure salary increases when you receive a promotion. Since you are internal, you are put at the bottom of the range for the new position. External hires with similar creditials can often get placed in the middle of the range. Since pay increaeses are generally small, it takes years to catch up to the midpoint. This really discourages people from sticking wtih the company.
    Additionally, with all the restructuring and downsizing over the years, upward advancement opportunities are very limited and seem to get fewer and fewer with each restructuring.

Create more development opportunities. Sprint has a leadership development program, but they only take 10-12 candidates each year, that's out of 30,000 employees. Other than that, you are on your own for development. Out of the 8 managers that I have had, only 1 has helped me with overall personal development that was not just job training. Many were unqualified to provide development training and others were just too busy.

Worked at Sprint for 13 years in the IT department working my way through the technical field. IT related.

Current Employee - Senior Executive Services IT  in  Overland Park, KS (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Executive Services IT in Overland Park, KS (US)

I have been working at Sprint full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great company to work for. Terrific benefits! 3.5 weeks vacation right away- 4.5 after 2 years- 5 after 10 years- 6 after 20 years. 401k match is great and with salary positions the bonuses are great! Good life/work balance. New CEO is easy to work.

Cons

Worried about layoffs since this is a #3 carrier-- seem to have rounds come through 1-2 times a year. However, Sprint offers a great program for voluntary separation and gives you great benefits (severance) whether you volunteer or actually get laid off. They work hard to rehire/position. Layoffs are really a concern for any large company these days-- I imagine they sweep through other companies just as often regardless of how well the company is doing. Fewer people = more work / better profits I guess.

Never had any problems getting time off as needed. Salary increases (at least in my dept) are not really great. Not keeping up with cost of living. Seems to be the norm in other companies these days. Promotions are not handed to anybody-- you have to apply for them with the in-house job site. Lots of opportunities! However-- they merged payscales not too long ago what used to be what we called the 71, 72, 73 - 79. Each had a certain salary range (low-mid-high) They literally took 71-73 made that a 003. Then took 74-79 and made it a 004. Which means if any of those option positions used to pay a 79 and you're technically brought in as a 75... you do not get a raise. Most jobs are lateral unless you move into management (then the payscales are much much different)

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

My experience with Sprint has been nothing but amazing.

Former Employee - Tech Support Supervisor  in  Nutter Fort, WV (US)
    Former Employee - Tech Support Supervisor in Nutter Fort, WV (US)

I worked at Sprint full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

I enjoyed working with Sprint because I was given several opportunities to travel internationally and assist with opening several vendor sites.

Cons

My main challenge was meeting the monthly metric goals set by Sprint. My last 2 years with Sprint I not only met, but exceeded the every metric goal that was to be met.

I would like to share with upper management of how I am one who is very competitive and always welcome new challenges.

Great company great people

Former Employee - PMON Supervisor  in  Lone Tree, CO (US)
    Former Employee - PMON Supervisor in Lone Tree, CO (US)

I worked at Sprint full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Lots of benefits and training

Cons

Lots of change due the nature of the business

None

Overall positive

Current Employee - Analyst  in  Overland Park, KS (US)
    Current Employee - Analyst in Overland Park, KS (US)

I have been working at Sprint full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Corporate culture is not work until you die....Flexible and don't have people constantly looking over your shoulder, work-life balance is good, and employee health is viewed as important

Cons

reorganizations and re-shuffling, difficulty to get promoted, too many layers of management

Lead Retail Consultant

I have been working at Sprint full-time

Pros

Great benefits medical, demtal, vision, 401K, Life, and your phone bill is free with the exception of paying insurance on device. Also discount rate for family members.

Cons

Ever changing commission structure, and high quotas.

Great but tough to move up

Current Employee - Lead Retail Consultant
    Current Employee - Lead Retail Consultant

I have been working at Sprint full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

pay, time off, but great place to work

Cons

promotions they will have you fill as acting roles but not make the positions available

make promotions available instead of having somebody do an "acting" positions.

Great people and a great place to work if you don't mind constant change

Current Employee - Director  in  Overland Park, KS (US)
    Current Employee - Director in Overland Park, KS (US)

I have been working at Sprint full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Good people doing challenging work. The pay is good and benefits are also decent. The wireless industry is constantly changing which means you never get board and are always learning new things.

Cons

Losing many good people due to layoffs and the process for deselection doesn't take into account loss of critical and important knowledge. Those left behind are being asked to do more with less. High stress with few opportunities for future advancement make it a challenge.

Competing on price may be fine for awhile but eventually need a game changing product or service.

Good Benefits with few opportunities for advancement

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Blountville, TN (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Blountville, TN (US)

I have been working at Sprint full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Good job however horrible life long career.

Fair amount of time off per year as well as sick time is offered here. Company offers some flexibility options as well outside of your normal assigned shift such as the ability to swap a normal day off to another day a few times a month or the ability to come in late or leave early by half an hour (used to be more options).

*Most* job positions that do become available are Typically awarded based upon your ability to interview (you could have even done the job but failed at the interview and someone who never done the job before in their life could get the job over you and no this did not happen to me but to others) so this could be seen as a Pro.

Company offers limited temporary slots to do new jobs and receive on the job training.

The Director at my call center has an open door policy. Management is approachable in almost every aspect of the company.

The company now once again offers incentive pay based upon performance.

Your ability to select a shift with the hours and days off you prefer are based upon your performance and attendance.

Excellent job training, if you have some customer experience or just a polite individual and have at minimum know how to operate a computer, mouse and keyboard then you have a good chance of doing ok.

There are some truly exceptional people at all levels within this company and often if you require help or guidance (not referring to needing help on a call) then you will usually receive it.

Cons

As you are about to read there are many drawbacks. Some of which some employee's may never see depending on their time with the company and position. As someone who's still employed by Sprint these are observations I've seen both new people as well as those awaiting retirement have encountered however for the sake of a job I would recommend this company but as a career in a call center I cannot...

Promotions are rare outside of cost of living raises, had several years where raises weren't available to anyone at our call center.

Despite the amount of time off you receive per year you can't necessarily take the time when you need it. There are slots available per day and the number of slots per day depend on the number of people working that day in your department and if there's something big such as a major phone launch or holidays then expect some days to be blacked out to where no one can schedule them off.

There is a point system in place at Sprint that can be complicated that is basically meant to be used for attendance. If you have good attendance then you'll have more points up to over 200 however if you need to take a day off and are unable to schedule it in advance it will still deduct time from your vacation for the year and take away points from the point system. If you're points drop below a certain level you're put on a "level", when you hit zero you are terminated. What is bad about this is almost EVERY weekend almost (I was off weekends so this didn't apply to me) and holidays management would make those days triple point weekends. If you are new and have a long term illness in the family or issues in your own life you could lose your job in less than a month as you may be able to earn up to over 200 points which would take almost a year of perfect attendance but you only start out with around 70 points and if you miss a weekend or holiday it's around 25 to 30 points and keep in mind scheduling the decent amount of time off they give you can be extremely difficult.

You can work there for 20 years and one day they could just decide to make you work a holiday if you haven't sold enough tablets or missed a day and someone that's been there a fraction of the time could then get the day off instead of you.

Seniority is no longer something that is respected within this organization. I've seen people work there less than a year and was able to take a holiday off and force someone who may not have had perfect attendance work christmas. This was not always the case.

You could previously miss half a day or a day and make that half day or day up within the same week if your position allowed you to which was incentive to apply for those off line positions. Now this Perk is reserved for management level employees only.

For the temporary jobs that allow you to try another job and receive on the job training, those are supposed to last six months however I've seen some individuals stay over two years which prevents others from applying.

Moving up within a call center is not easy and sometimes a temp job can become permanent without even a job posting going up and if it's someone working the job already they want to have the job then they do not advertise the job opening if they do put one out.

Working a temporary job will not award you with the salary of that job despite the fact you will be working the job and it's duties for approximately six months.

I have witnessed new employees offered more money then existing employees and this wasn't due to a college degree or experience.

I've seen them keep a call center open even when police urge people to stay at home and they will deduct points and if applicable deduct vacation time if you value your life and your car and decide to stay home. This has been a major concern year after year. Sometimes even the director of the site can't make it in to work but we are expected to. Some call centers close in advance of a forecasted snow storm but we didn't and we weren't allowed to stay in the building if we didn't feel safe driving home due to security concerns. This previously wasn't as bad as we use to be located within walking distance of a hotel. Which by the way it was once suggested to me to get a hotel room so I wouldn't miss work the next day.

All too often management is not on the same page. All too often we are told one thing then minutes/hours/days later told to reverse our direction.

I've seen those in low level positions that's been there ten years making more money then those in higher positions that's been there fifteen years, again not much incentive to apply for jobs that barely come open if that's the Sprint process.

I've seen people with legitimate concerns (relative sick with cancer) approach the director for a leave of absence and be denied and others who just had a baby and wanted more time away get approved.

The number of positions in which you can move up have been reduced significantly within the last two years. Sprint call centers are becoming places where you're either an specialist (entry level), super specialist, supervisor, or a manager. There use to be several off the phone groups of teams with frequent openings however those are being reduced or all but eliminated now.

Management offers "team builders" once a quarter which can be great however true team builders should be done weekly which can be work projects etc that promote inclusion, teamwork, with the goal of motivating and teaching however this typically doesn't happen as our supervisors and managers are too busy with other assignments.

Management is overwhelmed and it shows. They take their jobs home with them and often work 60 or more hours a week and sometimes even holidays just to meet deadlines. Expect this to impact their ability to meet with you, develop you, and have an open door policy. I've even seen supervisors "escape" to a board room just so they can do their work without being interrupted.

This company use to be amazing to work for. People use to be friendly and compassionate and motivated however since around 2008 the mood has slowly changed. Managers and supervisors are hard pressed for time due to corporate policies that never made sense such as listening to X amount of calls per agent per week when management was pushing for less work to be able to develop their subordinates.

In the past it wasn't that hard to get time away for family or for emergencies. In the past if an emergency came up such as a local school being put on lockdown then we could make that time up later that week. In the past when we were done with our duties we could work on side projects or "double jack" or do team building activities however down time is not only discouraged they will make it a mission to find something for you do because of appearances.

I've known others in higher positions who had opportunities to miss a day and make it up, come in late and stay late to make it up. Those that had those typical office jobs that we'd see in other places now tell of a different story. I've heard that if they are slow and don't find something else to do that they're asked to job shadow and learn other jobs without any extra pay due to appearances and validating the need for their position. What incentive is there to move up when those perks are now reserved for managers and supervisors who now have so much work they often take it home with them or work extremely long weeks? Some supervisors have wanted to step down because of the stress and work load and how they aren't even able to develop their own people the way they'd like because of the mundane and miscellaneous duties they're now asked to perform that was once previously performed by a group of people (such as quality).

If you take the time to read the pro's and con's and this section then it may be possible to see how morale and motivation are sometimes in short supply. It is my belief that most of the pain points I've listed are the result of corporate decisions throughout the years, some of which were viewed as necessary due to the mistakes of the company and even up to the recent bid to purchase TMobile that was later rescinded however thus far corporate has stayed the course and sadly local management while also having room for improvement I feel are too afraid to push back on things as they are afraid our call center is next on the list of closures as I've been told multiple times "be glad you have a job".

I honestly considered Sprint to be one of the best employers out there at one point and for that I've given them a favorable rating however the things I've experienced and continue to see are troubling. I've left out some of the worst things I've experienced or witnessed because as a whole those experiences wouldn't necessarily impact others whereas what I have listed could very well impact a lot of new employees.

Worked for Sprint? Contribute to the Community!