Starbucks

3.7 4,256 reviews

Starbucks Chairman, President, and CEO Howard D. Schultz

Howard D. Schultz

(2,901 ratings)

Pros
  • Great benefits even for part time employees and a supportive work atmosphere(in 394 reviews)

• You also get to enjoy a nice perk of receiving a free pound of coffee or tea each week(in 200 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance was preached corporately but ignored in the field(in 107 reviews)

• Store Managers and District Managers are disconnected from hourly partners(in 111 reviews)

4,256 Employee Reviews

It was a great job while completing university with an awesome social team.

Barista - Starbucks (Current Employee) Brisbane

ProsThe perks (share scheme, partner mark outs, discounts) and the people I worked with. Partners had clearly defined roles and duties to fill. I've made some life long friends with Starbucks and learnt how to work as part of an efficient team.

ConsIn stores with extended trading hours the shifts are very scattered so it's hard to establish a routine. Management often seems to be in the office and is rarely on floor, but as a barista I don't know what they're tasks are so maybe it was necessary. There was also no staff room for barista's to take their lunch which was hard when the cafe was full of customers.

Advice to Senior ManagementLet your team members know what you're doing when you're in the office for extended periods of time, otherwise it looks like you're just not working.

Starbucks Australia

Barista (Former Employee) Melbourne

ProsIn general, fellow employees are friendly and easy to get along with. We are also given free coffee and some meals.

ConsMore often than not, customers are unnecessarily rude and impatient. The environment is often very fast paced and, if there is not an adequate number of staff working the shift, this can be very difficult and stressful.

Advice to Senior ManagementCustomers should be encouraged to treat the staff at Starbucks with more respect. No one should have to put up with the level of rudeness experienced by staff on a near-daily basis.

Was, sadly, a terrible experience

Barista (Former Employee) Westmead

ProsDefinitely the free coffee in the morning... the two bags of beans per week, the employee discount on merchandise, and the customers.

ConsManagement was very under-qualified and inept. The workplace was a kiosk in a hospital, and was very old and gross and needed repair. I worked at Starbucks in the States and LOVED it. Australia was a totally different (and comparably awful) ball game.

Advice to Senior ManagementStep up your game! Competently train and teach your partners under you, put your immaturity and personal life aside when you're at work, and command some respect.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Shift Supervisor

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat fun when working under the good management. Perks are awesome. Customers can be amazing sometimes. All in all if you work in a strong store you'll love it.

ConsPay is not enough for shift managers. If you are in a store run by lazy managers you will hate your job. Sadly it seems good managers can be far and few between.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop hiring lazy dispassionate/mediocre managers who take advantage of their title and work hardly any hours yet get salaried. Quality vs. quantity comes to mind. Happy employees equals better customer service which equals more business.

Give us more time!!

Store Manager (Current Employee)

ProsI get to create relationships with regular customers and feel like they're family!
    I believe we have a quality product and strive to make every customer enthusiastically satisfied!

ConsUnrealistic expectations make you always feel behind the ball/rushed/like there's not enough time to get everything done.

Advice to Senior ManagementYour store managers are holding the puppet strings for every movements of your front line- your baristas and shift supervisors. We are the ones who set the tone and hold them to the standards and communicate important information and set the examples and ... We WANT to make their experience at work a positive one, but ours isn't!! Removing labor hours and trimming all the fat away from everything makes the expectations near impossible and not only that but it removes that positive experience at work. It runs your people who you value so much into the ground. I think if you really want to put a value on the customer experience and the partner experience , you need to rethink how much you value our time. We come to work to make excellent coffee, to put smiles on peoples faces, to connect with our community....but come work one day in our stores with the labor you allot us and the amount of tasks you expect us to complete. As someone who ALWAYS believed in our company and who always does what's asked of me, I'm disappointed as a partner in how much I feel like I cannot do my job within the parameters we are given. If you gave us more hours I'd stay.

great learning environment

Barista - Starbucks (Current Employee) Vancouver, BC (Canada)

Prosgood benefit package. great people to work with.
    gain valuable customer service experience.
    get sales experience without pressure

Consdeal with difficult customers at times.
    heavy workload depends on location.

A company that generally cares about their employees!

Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) Lakeland, FL (US)

ProsStarbucks is a very positive company to work for. They place great emphasis on developing their employees into well-rounded people.

ConsStarbucks work-life balance is very difficult to maintain. The pay is not so amazing that it's incredibly easy to make it just on your scheduled shifts. Most managers do not schedule the shift supervisors to a complete 40 hours a week.

Fabulous in 2007

Store Manager (Former Employee)

ProsThe environment is comfortable, the product enjoyable, the people who work next to you are wonderful. The weekly coffee payout is truly missed in my home as well as the employee discount. One of the better companies at communicating to operations staff company future and current trends.

ConsHours of work can be challenging given strict budgets on labor and food costs. The pay is low to moderate for managers, however, the bonuses helped considerably when meeting store goals. Mid level management has low turn over. Very challenging to move up in positions.

Excellent place to work while needing a flexible schedule.

Shift Supervisor (Current Employee) Tacoma, WA (US)

ProsThe flexibility was great. Benefits are available at 20 hours/wk. If you move, chances are you would be able to transfer to another store without any trouble.

ConsAs with any company, your immediate supervisors make a huge difference in whether or not the work place is enjoyable. Some baristas make more than the shift supervisors, dependent on length of service. The amount of responsibility for the low pay is disheartening.

Advice to Senior ManagementEncourage your DMs to hire from the inside when assistant and management positions are available.

An amazing experience

Barista (Former Employee) Towson, MD (US)

ProsLoved working here. The other baristas and shift supervisors were always extremely supportive!

ConsManagement was an issue at times. I believe quite a bit was required for minimum wage.

Worked for Starbucks? Contribute to the Community!