Starbucks Reviews

4,487 Reviews

Starbucks Chairman, President, and CEO Howard D. Schultz
Howard D. Schultz
3,054 Ratings

Pros
  • The best part of working there were the benefits offered to part time employees (in 401 reviews)

• You also get to enjoy a nice perk of receiving a free pound of coffee or tea each week (in 200 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance was preached corporately but ignored in the field (in 109 reviews)

• Store Managers and District Managers are disconnected from hourly partners (in 114 reviews)

More Highlights

It was a great job while completing university with an awesome social team.

Current Employee - Barista - Starbucks  in  Brisbane
    Current Employee - Barista - Starbucks in Brisbane

I have been working at Starbucks part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The perks (share scheme, partner mark outs, discounts) and the people I worked with. Partners had clearly defined roles and duties to fill. I've made some life long friends with Starbucks and learnt how to work as part of an efficient team.

Cons

In stores with extended trading hours the shifts are very scattered so it's hard to establish a routine. Management often seems to be in the office and is rarely on floor, but as a barista I don't know what they're tasks are so maybe it was necessary. There was also no staff room for barista's to take their lunch which was hard when the cafe was full of customers.

Let your team members know what you're doing when you're in the office for extended periods of time, otherwise it looks like you're just not working.

Starbucks Australia

Former Employee - Barista  in  Melbourne
    Former Employee - Barista in Melbourne

I worked at Starbucks

Pros

In general, fellow employees are friendly and easy to get along with. We are also given free coffee and some meals.

Cons

More often than not, customers are unnecessarily rude and impatient. The environment is often very fast paced and, if there is not an adequate number of staff working the shift, this can be very difficult and stressful.

Customers should be encouraged to treat the staff at Starbucks with more respect. No one should have to put up with the level of rudeness experienced by staff on a near-daily basis.

Was, sadly, a terrible experience

Former Employee - Barista  in  Westmead
    Former Employee - Barista in Westmead

I worked at Starbucks

Pros

Definitely the free coffee in the morning... the two bags of beans per week, the employee discount on merchandise, and the customers.

Cons

Management was very under-qualified and inept. The workplace was a kiosk in a hospital, and was very old and gross and needed repair. I worked at Starbucks in the States and LOVED it. Australia was a totally different (and comparably awful) ball game.

Step up your game! Competently train and teach your partners under you, put your immaturity and personal life aside when you're at work, and command some respect.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great company if you can handle it

Former Employee - Barista
    Former Employee - Barista

I worked at Starbucks part-time for more than a year

Pros

The benefits are out of sight. I was offered Starbucks stock after my first year, as well as 401k through Fidelity, and a superb Blue Cross Blue Shield health insurance plan. You can cover your whole family with that plan, and it can include domestic partners. I got a pound of free coffee every week and free coffee all day (although I think that was specific to my store, which bent the rules). There's also an Employee Assistance Hotline which you can call if you're having issues in your personal life. And HR is really responsive--they won't see you as a troublemaker if you're legitimately having an issue. They will handle it.

Also, sexual orientation and gender identity are included in their anti-discrimination policy. None of the gay or lesbian people on my staff got crap for it, even though about half the staff was quietly conservative Christian and Republican.

If you're a people person, you develop relationships with the regulars and it's fun to make their day. I felt it was pretty rewarding to make drinks. I loved the artistic side of it. And again, the free coffee...just awesome.

They're also usually pretty flexible about scheduling, so it's ideal for if you're working two jobs or are a student. I worked with people in their 50's who had their own careers, but worked part-time at Starbucks for the health insurance.

The vacation time system is also pretty sweet. I worked with a guy who was there for 10 years and took like a month vacation to his home country.

The staffs can be really tight...or they can be really vicious. But a spirit of teamwork is definitely encouraged. And exemplary work is recognized.

In an 8-hour shift you get three breaks: one 30-minute clock-out lunch, and two 10-minute on the clock breaks.

You'll also occasionally get those amazing customers and you live for seeing them. We had four customers who every year each put 100 bucks in our tip jar around Christmas. Sometimes those people can make your day with the things they say and do.

Cons

If you work at a store worth their salt they will work you to the bone. Especially in a large or high-volume store there is so much to do, so much to clean. A morning shift person will have the absolutely insanity of a morning rush, but an evening person should be expected to handle evening rushes with a limited staff as WELL as get the place spotless in what I believe is not a reasonable time. We could get the place clean by 10:45, all right--if we broke the health and corporate rules about when to tear things down. And of course if that was ever found out we were in deep. And if we went over 10:45 we were also in trouble. Management sometimes has some very unrealistic ideas about what the job actually entails and what rules and boundaries should go with that.

The pay in my state starts near minimum wage. The ceiling for a barista is $10/hr, which you hit when you've been there about five years. But tips help, and some high-volume affluent stores will have tips up to $4/hr.

There's also a tendency to have fanatical management. Other "kindly" corporations like Whole Foods have this too--the managers drink the Kool-Aid and worship the company. I once spoke with my manager because my schedule was being changed with less than 24 hours notice, and that was against state law. She got this crazed look in her eye and spat "Starbucks law goes above state law!" But that's only a tendency. There are some pretty cool managers out there. Mine was insane.

The customers are spoiled rotten so they also get kind of unreasonable about their Starbucks. They will stand there and demand that you make a drink five times because there's still foam on that latte and they said NO foam, not LIGHT foam. This is a business model of Starbucks': everyone is special, and we will bend the rules for everybody. And I've had people scream at me and call me a (b) and promise me that they would make me lose my job. I've also had stuff thrown at me. But, that's also just customer service.

These last few years Starbucks has been obsessed with selling, too. There's a lot of pressure on the staff to make sure people go home with $15 bags of coffee and sub-par espresso machines. It's hard to maintain the relationships they want us to maintain while trying to sell stuff.

Overall, if you can put up with the customers and the physical demand, and if benefits are more important than income, do it. It's rewarding in its own way. Wear insoles.

Drop the obsession with sales. You're damaging customer relationships and making yourself look like "Just another corporation."

Awesome

Former Employee - Barista  in  Shreveport, LA (US)
    Former Employee - Barista in Shreveport, LA (US)

I worked at Starbucks part-time for less than a year

Pros

Free coffee and tea, free beans and tea bags, tips never less than a dollar extra an hour. Breat benefits, including PTO and vacation time opportunities for all associates. Healthcare/tuition assistance offered, too.

Cons

Management changed, leaving the store less fun to work for. Scheduling was pretty bad, with several baristas being scheduled to work when they couldn't

Don't tell baristas that you're planning to fire other baristas

Fun and fair

Current Employee - Barista
    Current Employee - Barista

I have been working at Starbucks full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The hours can be customized to your life while you are paid a competitive wage. There are nice benefits to take advantage of, especially if you love coffee. A very positive work culture.

Cons

Certain stressful times require strong work flow. Pressure to sell certain items can sometimes take away from the customer experience.

There could be more reviews for managers than just bottom line. Blind reviews by partners are always good.

Barista

Former Employee - Barista  in  Charleston, SC (US)
    Former Employee - Barista in Charleston, SC (US)

I worked at Starbucks part-time for more than a year

Pros

The barista position is the front-line of Starbucks. After you learn how to do everything, it is a relatively low stress job, good compensation plus tips, opportunities for advancement

Cons

Depends on the manager/store. Some are great/empowering, some are micro-managers and don't trust their baristas

Good Job

I have been working at Starbucks

Pros

Good team work with all employees

Cons

Consider extra staffing during peak times

Wonderful company with amazing benefits, great customers, awesome vibe, and amazing partners. 10/10

I have been working at Starbucks part-time

Pros

Tuition reimbursement, customers are great, vibe is wonderful, benefits are amazing.

Cons

Customer service is the name of the game. You really need to be personable.

Great Company to work for part-time

Current Employee - Barista - Starbucks  in  Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Barista - Starbucks in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I have been working at Starbucks part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Health Insurance and Flexible hours. Easy to get shifts at other locations.

Cons

Compensation is not that great, and job can get repetitive.

Worked for Starbucks? Contribute to the Community!