Starbucks

Starbucks Chairman, President, and CEO Howard D. Schultz

Howard D. Schultz

(2,560 ratings)

3,713 Employee Reviews

Pros:
  • "Great benefits even for part time employees and a supportive work atmosphere"
    in 347 reviews
  • "Free drinks while you're working and a free pound of coffee (or tin of tea) every week"
    in 183 reviews
Cons:
  • "Work/life balance was preached corporately but ignored in the field"
    in 93 reviews
  • "Customers can sometimes get you down but it's just part of being in customer service"
    in 92 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

It was a great job while completing university with an awesome social team.

Barista - Starbucks (Current Employee)
Brisbane

I have been working at Starbucks part-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe perks (share scheme, partner mark outs, discounts) and the people I worked with. Partners had clearly defined roles and duties to fill. I've made some life long friends with Starbucks and learnt how to work as part of an efficient team.

ConsIn stores with extended trading hours the shifts are very scattered so it's hard to establish a routine. Management often seems to be in the office and is rarely on floor, but as a barista I don't know what they're tasks are so maybe it was necessary. There was also no staff room for barista's to take their lunch which was hard when the cafe was full of customers.

Advice to Senior ManagementLet your team members know what you're doing when you're in the office for extended periods of time, otherwise it looks like you're just not working.

Starbucks Australia

Melbourne

I worked at Starbucks

ProsIn general, fellow employees are friendly and easy to get along with. We are also given free coffee and some meals.

ConsMore often than not, customers are unnecessarily rude and impatient. The environment is often very fast paced and, if there is not an adequate number of staff working the shift, this can be very difficult and stressful.

Advice to Senior ManagementCustomers should be encouraged to treat the staff at Starbucks with more respect. No one should have to put up with the level of rudeness experienced by staff on a near-daily basis.

Was, sadly, a terrible experience

Westmead

I worked at Starbucks

ProsDefinitely the free coffee in the morning... the two bags of beans per week, the employee discount on merchandise, and the customers.

ConsManagement was very under-qualified and inept. The workplace was a kiosk in a hospital, and was very old and gross and needed repair. I worked at Starbucks in the States and LOVED it. Australia was a totally different (and comparably awful) ball game.

Advice to Senior ManagementStep up your game! Competently train and teach your partners under you, put your immaturity and personal life aside when you're at work, and command some respect.

Career in Coffee

Store Manager (Current Employee)
Los Angeles, CA (US)

I have been working at Starbucks full-time for more than 3 years

ProsWhen i first started I had no intention of making a career out of Starbucks. Now, I have no intention of having a career without Starbucks. For a large corporation, this company feels very small. Every decision made in store affects that store, partners, and customers. Along with the great benefits and the opportunity for growth, this company has it all. Along with the culture that promotes inclusivity and leading through the lens of humanity this company cares about people!

ConsI wish to work in other segments of the company, but to do so I would likely have to move to Seattle. That is the ONLY drawback for me, which is very personal and not reflective of the company.

Love the Company

Shift Supervisor (Current Employee)
Calabasas, CA (US)

I have been working at Starbucks part-time for more than 5 years

ProsThe benefits are fantastic, the culture is amazing. Working in a store can be great depending on the staff. I've had both great and horrible experiences working in a store.
The good managers are usually very supportive of you and your time with the company so long as you're a positive addition to the team.
There's a big feeling of your store being your team. Almost like a second family.
The DM, Manager, and company overall are usually very invested in their staff, especially ones that want upward momentum.

ConsWorking holidays, nights, weekends can get frustrating ( but seriously, that's what the job entails so it's not that bad).
I really don't have much else "bad" to say about the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhile I loved working for the company for the 5 years i was there, I thought some hiring decisions were questionable. While it wasn't my place to make those kinds of decision, I saw managers and assistant managers that were simply incapable of doing the work, let alone doing the work well. In addition, I feel there needs to be more interaction between the DM's and staff. Otherwise, I loved the direction the company went in during my time there, even throughout hard times they were there for the staff countrywide (we still got out stocks, benefits, etc throughout the recession), and I always felt supported by everyone from the little fish to the Howard Schultz himself.

Amazing benefits for a Part-Time Job

Barista (Current Employee)
San Mateo, CA (US)

I have been working at Starbucks part-time for more than 8 years

Pros*They provide really good medical, vision and dental benefits for partners who work at least 20 hours a week.
*401K Match at 100%
*Starbucks also partners with schools like Stayer University to provide discounts to partners who enrolled to their schools.

ConsOn my 3rd year of employment I was promoted as Shift Supervisor even though I can only work part-time. It was my understanding that the upper management is aware of my promotion because I was the only one who is willing to open the store. A few years after I was demoted because I only work part-time. On top of the demotion I was told that I will not get anymore rate increase because I have reached the maximum Barista pay per the policy even though I am doing an exceptional job. This policy seems to have changed a few months after (which is good).

Incredible company!

Barista (Current Employee)
Golden, CO (US)

I have been working at Starbucks part-time for more than 10 years

ProsStarbucks is incredible at helping partners out with all of the benefits they provide. Stock, insurance, 401K, tuition reimbursement... all have helped me out immensely and is a big reason of why I have been with the company for so many years. Also, the flexibility in scheduling as well as the fact you can transfer to any store makes it easy to live life without the job being your whole life. Co-workers and bosses are usually SO amazing company wide! Fantastic people to work with.

ConsSome customers can be very rude and condescending, but that comes with many jobs. Working weekends sucks but at least every partner shares the burden.

Store Manager

Store Manager (Current Employee)
Rancho Cucamonga, CA (US)

I have been working at Starbucks full-time for more than 8 years

ProsStarbucks is a great company to work for. Love some of the perks such as free coffee, benefits, and working with great people.

ConsI feel that a company of this size should pay their partners more. While there are excellent benefits, for how hard everyone works, the pay should be higher. Also More time for Managers to be Managers off the floor instead of stressing about not getting things done.

Advice to Senior ManagementHigher Pay

Great Benefits, Great Company

Shift Supervisor (Current Employee)
San Diego, CA (US)

I have been working at Starbucks full-time for more than a year

ProsA very equal opportunity employer. Buy into the Starbucks vision and perform at your best to reap the rewards of a great job which will advance the partners (employees) who want to move up and are willing to put in the effort.

ConsIf you want to move up in the company you may have to play politics, you have to want it. Not much of a con but there really aren't any cons if you work your butt off for the right people.

Advice to Senior ManagementPush your partners to be the best they can and follow all policies, all of them, as crazy hard as that is.

Great Place to Work At!

Singapore (Singapore)

I worked at Starbucks part-time for more than a year

ProsVery welcoming and friendly atmosphere! Pay increment is according to performance. Pay starts out rather low if you do not have much experience, but it can increase rather quickly, so no worries! Just enjoy what you're doing and it'll show in your performance review!

Cons-Nil-
For a part time job, I think it's pretty awesome. I worked here for a year, and I truly enjoyed my time here. No complains or cons I can think of!

Worked for Starbucks? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Starbucks reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Starbucks CEO Howard D. Schultz. All 3,713 reviews are posted anonymously by Starbucks employees.