Starbucks Reviews

4,772 Reviews

Starbucks Chairman, President, and CEO Howard D. Schultz
Howard D. Schultz
3,240 Ratings

Pros
  • The best part of working there were the benefits offered to part time employees (in 434 reviews)

• You also get to enjoy a nice perk of receiving a free pound of coffee or tea each week (in 219 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is nearly impossible to achieve until you've gained experience (in 123 reviews)

• While I was with the company, there was a huge turnaround with district managers (in 133 reviews)

More Highlights

Very positive

Current Employee - Barista in Sydney
    Current Employee - Barista in Sydney

I have been working at Starbucks part-time (more than an year)

Pros

I am Always treated with respect

Cons

Always kept on your toes

Love working there

It was a great job while completing university with an awesome social team.

Current Employee - Barista - Starbucks in Brisbane
    Current Employee - Barista - Starbucks in Brisbane

I have been working at Starbucks part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The perks (share scheme, partner mark outs, discounts) and the people I worked with. Partners had clearly defined roles and duties to fill. I've made some life long friends with Starbucks and learnt how to work as part of an efficient team.

Cons

In stores with extended trading hours the shifts are very scattered so it's hard to establish a routine. Management often seems to be in the office and is rarely on floor, but as a barista I don't know what they're tasks are so maybe it was necessary. There was also no staff room for barista's to take their lunch which was hard when the cafe was full of customers.

Let your team members know what you're doing when you're in the office for extended periods of time, otherwise it looks like you're just not working.

Starbucks Australia

Former Employee - Barista in Melbourne
    Former Employee - Barista in Melbourne

I worked at Starbucks

Pros

In general, fellow employees are friendly and easy to get along with. We are also given free coffee and some meals.

Cons

More often than not, customers are unnecessarily rude and impatient. The environment is often very fast paced and, if there is not an adequate number of staff working the shift, this can be very difficult and stressful.

Customers should be encouraged to treat the staff at Starbucks with more respect. No one should have to put up with the level of rudeness experienced by staff on a near-daily basis.

Was, sadly, a terrible experience

Former Employee - Barista in Westmead
    Former Employee - Barista in Westmead

I worked at Starbucks

Pros

Definitely the free coffee in the morning... the two bags of beans per week, the employee discount on merchandise, and the customers.

Cons

Management was very under-qualified and inept. The workplace was a kiosk in a hospital, and was very old and gross and needed repair. I worked at Starbucks in the States and LOVED it. Australia was a totally different (and comparably awful) ball game.

Step up your game! Competently train and teach your partners under you, put your immaturity and personal life aside when you're at work, and command some respect.

Great company if you can handle it

Former Employee - Barista
    Former Employee - Barista

I worked at Starbucks part-time (more than an year)

Pros

The benefits are out of sight. I was offered Starbucks stock after my first year, as well as 401k through Fidelity, and a superb Blue Cross Blue Shield health insurance plan. You can cover your whole family with that plan, and it can include domestic partners. I got a pound of free coffee every week and free coffee all day (although I think that was specific to my store, which bent the rules). There's also an Employee Assistance Hotline which you can call if you're having issues in your personal life. And HR is really responsive--they won't see you as a troublemaker if you're legitimately having an issue. They will handle it.

Also, sexual orientation and gender identity are included in their anti-discrimination policy. None of the gay or lesbian people on my staff got crap for it, even though about half the staff was quietly conservative Christian and Republican.

If you're a people person, you develop relationships with the regulars and it's fun to make their day. I felt it was pretty rewarding to make drinks. I loved the artistic side of it. And again, the free coffee...just awesome.

They're also usually pretty flexible about scheduling, so it's ideal for if you're working two jobs or are a student. I worked with people in their 50's who had their own careers, but worked part-time at Starbucks for the health insurance.

The vacation time system is also pretty sweet. I worked with a guy who was there for 10 years and took like a month vacation to his home country.

The staffs can be really tight...or they can be really vicious. But a spirit of teamwork is definitely encouraged. And exemplary work is recognized.

In an 8-hour shift you get three breaks: one 30-minute clock-out lunch, and two 10-minute on the clock breaks.

You'll also occasionally get those amazing customers and you live for seeing them. We had four customers who every year each put 100 bucks in our tip jar around Christmas. Sometimes those people can make your day with the things they say and do.

Cons

If you work at a store worth their salt they will work you to the bone. Especially in a large or high-volume store there is so much to do, so much to clean. A morning shift person will have the absolutely insanity of a morning rush, but an evening person should be expected to handle evening rushes with a limited staff as WELL as get the place spotless in what I believe is not a reasonable time. We could get the place clean by 10:45, all right--if we broke the health and corporate rules about when to tear things down. And of course if that was ever found out we were in deep. And if we went over 10:45 we were also in trouble. Management sometimes has some very unrealistic ideas about what the job actually entails and what rules and boundaries should go with that.

The pay in my state starts near minimum wage. The ceiling for a barista is $10/hr, which you hit when you've been there about five years. But tips help, and some high-volume affluent stores will have tips up to $4/hr.

There's also a tendency to have fanatical management. Other "kindly" corporations like Whole Foods have this too--the managers drink the Kool-Aid and worship the company. I once spoke with my manager because my schedule was being changed with less than 24 hours notice, and that was against state law. She got this crazed look in her eye and spat "Starbucks law goes above state law!" But that's only a tendency. There are some pretty cool managers out there. Mine was insane.

The customers are spoiled rotten so they also get kind of unreasonable about their Starbucks. They will stand there and demand that you make a drink five times because there's still foam on that latte and they said NO foam, not LIGHT foam. This is a business model of Starbucks': everyone is special, and we will bend the rules for everybody. And I've had people scream at me and call me a (b) and promise me that they would make me lose my job. I've also had stuff thrown at me. But, that's also just customer service.

These last few years Starbucks has been obsessed with selling, too. There's a lot of pressure on the staff to make sure people go home with $15 bags of coffee and sub-par espresso machines. It's hard to maintain the relationships they want us to maintain while trying to sell stuff.

Overall, if you can put up with the customers and the physical demand, and if benefits are more important than income, do it. It's rewarding in its own way. Wear insoles.

Drop the obsession with sales. You're damaging customer relationships and making yourself look like "Just another corporation."

Great company, fabulous co-workers and customers who were passionate about our product.

Former Employee - Barista in Davenport, IA (US)
    Former Employee - Barista in Davenport, IA (US)

I worked at Starbucks part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Starbucks enabled me to have a flexible work schedule. The culture was laid-back & friendly. The free coffee was great.

Cons

One or two of the co-workers were coffee snobs.

Great benefits, great atmosphere, low pay

Former Employee - Shift Supervisor in Davis, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Shift Supervisor in Davis, CA (US)

I worked at Starbucks full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Amazing benefits such as health, dental, optical, as well as shares in Starbucks stock and highly discounted or free beverages, food, and merchandise. Even though I think any work environment is highly dependent on the local management, on average (based on working as a supervisor in three different stores) Starbucks maintains a fast-pace, vibrant, and fun atmosphere to work in. Time flies by and most of the people you meet (co-workers and customers) are truly wonderful.

Cons

Very low pay given the hard work and high energy required as a barista, supervisor, or store manager.

To regional and district manager--pay more attention to your store managers! They make or break your stores. I worked in three under 5 different store managers and several different regional managers, and they truly vary. Some upper management cares and visits stores regularly to maintain consistency and accountability, and some never come around. In regard to the store managers, everyone has strengths and weaknesses, but some store managers really take advantage of their employees' good-nature and hard-work. Some store-managers also knew very little about food, safety, and sanitary standards, and did not enforce them, which was horrifying to me as an employee and as a customer.

Management should be evaluated every three months

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Jersey City, NJ (US)
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Jersey City, NJ (US)

I worked at Starbucks full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great benefits and flexibility. Great for students.

Cons

Management should be evaluated every three months

There should be surprise visits to some stores

Barista

Current Employee - Barista in Boston, MA (US)
    Current Employee - Barista in Boston, MA (US)

I have been working at Starbucks part-time (less than an year)

Pros

provide good benefits for employees

Cons

not a good teamwork atmosphere

the culture of the working environment is not motivating

goog company

Former Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Miami, FL (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Miami, FL (US)

I worked at Starbucks as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

good company, flexible schedule, friendly environment, great coffee

Cons

frequent changes, management levels need to be at sync, market divisions need a better management structure