Starbucks

3.7 4,292 reviews

Starbucks Chairman, President, and CEO Howard D. Schultz

Howard D. Schultz

(2,922 ratings)

Pros
  • The best part of working there were the benefits offered to part time employees(in 401 reviews)

• You also get to enjoy a nice perk of receiving a free pound of coffee or tea each week(in 200 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance was preached corporately but ignored in the field(in 109 reviews)

• Store Managers and District Managers are disconnected from hourly partners(in 114 reviews)

4,292 Employee Reviews

It was a great job while completing university with an awesome social team.

Barista - Starbucks (Current Employee) Brisbane

ProsThe perks (share scheme, partner mark outs, discounts) and the people I worked with. Partners had clearly defined roles and duties to fill. I've made some life long friends with Starbucks and learnt how to work as part of an efficient team.

ConsIn stores with extended trading hours the shifts are very scattered so it's hard to establish a routine. Management often seems to be in the office and is rarely on floor, but as a barista I don't know what they're tasks are so maybe it was necessary. There was also no staff room for barista's to take their lunch which was hard when the cafe was full of customers.

Advice to Senior ManagementLet your team members know what you're doing when you're in the office for extended periods of time, otherwise it looks like you're just not working.

Starbucks Australia

Barista (Former Employee) Melbourne

ProsIn general, fellow employees are friendly and easy to get along with. We are also given free coffee and some meals.

ConsMore often than not, customers are unnecessarily rude and impatient. The environment is often very fast paced and, if there is not an adequate number of staff working the shift, this can be very difficult and stressful.

Advice to Senior ManagementCustomers should be encouraged to treat the staff at Starbucks with more respect. No one should have to put up with the level of rudeness experienced by staff on a near-daily basis.

Was, sadly, a terrible experience

Barista (Former Employee) Westmead

ProsDefinitely the free coffee in the morning... the two bags of beans per week, the employee discount on merchandise, and the customers.

ConsManagement was very under-qualified and inept. The workplace was a kiosk in a hospital, and was very old and gross and needed repair. I worked at Starbucks in the States and LOVED it. Australia was a totally different (and comparably awful) ball game.

Advice to Senior ManagementStep up your game! Competently train and teach your partners under you, put your immaturity and personal life aside when you're at work, and command some respect.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Shift Supervisor

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat fun when working under the good management. Perks are awesome. Customers can be amazing sometimes. All in all if you work in a strong store you'll love it.

ConsPay is not enough for shift managers. If you are in a store run by lazy managers you will hate your job. Sadly it seems good managers can be far and few between.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop hiring lazy dispassionate/mediocre managers who take advantage of their title and work hardly any hours yet get salaried. Quality vs. quantity comes to mind. Happy employees equals better customer service which equals more business.

Great benefits, realistic expectations, getting a bit too much like 'Fast Food'...

Shift Supervisor (Current Employee) Glenwood Springs, CO (US)

ProsYou can work as little as 20 hours per week and get full-time benefits. Discounts and free coffee. Customer interaction. Some stores are awesome and you get to see regular faces and connect and enjoy great coffee together. Store Management teams are ususally great and really mean well. For the most part, great environment.

ConsThe company is beginning to feel like a high priced McDonalds. Becoming very corporate fast food... People (customers and partners) are mattering less and less and more focus is being put on numbers, profits and bottom lines. Less training = less knowledgeable partners = terrible service and no kind of consistency. Higher up management is more often than not completely unexperienced and newer to the company than most of the partners ACTUALLY WORKING in the stores. They are not there to help, they are not team players, they only exist, form what I can tell, to criticize.

Advice to Senior ManagementRemember why Starbucks is awesome! People and great coffee! Customers should feel important! Partners should have fun, love serving up the most delicious beverages and be empowered to connect with one another and their customers. We're Starbucks! We're going to make money! Let's get back to the people who make that possible.

Shift Supervisor

Barista, Shift Supervisor (Current Employee) Baltimore, MD (US)

ProsLots of fun on the job, a great way to get your foot in the door for management experience.

ConsThis job can be tough when your coworkers don't pull their own weight. It's a team effort and if someone slacks off your job is harder than it should be. With the new LaBoulange, we are required to do an inventory count that takes up needed time from the floor and is just annoying.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease consider more competitive pay if you want to keep high quality employees. I have seen many good partners leave for jobs that pay just a dollar or 2 more.

Give us more time!!

Store Manager (Current Employee)

ProsI get to create relationships with regular customers and feel like they're family!
    I believe we have a quality product and strive to make every customer enthusiastically satisfied!

ConsUnrealistic expectations make you always feel behind the ball/rushed/like there's not enough time to get everything done.

Advice to Senior ManagementYour store managers are holding the puppet strings for every movements of your front line- your baristas and shift supervisors. We are the ones who set the tone and hold them to the standards and communicate important information and set the examples and ... We WANT to make their experience at work a positive one, but ours isn't!! Removing labor hours and trimming all the fat away from everything makes the expectations near impossible and not only that but it removes that positive experience at work. It runs your people who you value so much into the ground. I think if you really want to put a value on the customer experience and the partner experience , you need to rethink how much you value our time. We come to work to make excellent coffee, to put smiles on peoples faces, to connect with our community....but come work one day in our stores with the labor you allot us and the amount of tasks you expect us to complete. As someone who ALWAYS believed in our company and who always does what's asked of me, I'm disappointed as a partner in how much I feel like I cannot do my job within the parameters we are given. If you gave us more hours I'd stay.

Great company if you can handle it

Barista (Former Employee)

ProsThe benefits are out of sight. I was offered Starbucks stock after my first year, as well as 401k through Fidelity, and a superb Blue Cross Blue Shield health insurance plan. You can cover your whole family with that plan, and it can include domestic partners. I got a pound of free coffee every week and free coffee all day (although I think that was specific to my store, which bent the rules). There's also an Employee Assistance Hotline which you can call if you're having issues in your personal life. And HR is really responsive--they won't see you as a troublemaker if you're legitimately having an issue. They will handle it.

Also, sexual orientation and gender identity are included in their anti-discrimination policy. None of the gay or lesbian people on my staff got crap for it, even though about half the staff was quietly conservative Christian and Republican.

If you're a people person, you develop relationships with the regulars and it's fun to make their day. I felt it was pretty rewarding to make drinks. I loved the artistic side of it. And again, the free coffee...just awesome.

They're also usually pretty flexible about scheduling, so it's ideal for if you're working two jobs or are a student. I worked with people in their 50's who had their own careers, but worked part-time at Starbucks for the health insurance.

The vacation time system is also pretty sweet. I worked with a guy who was there for 10 years and took like a month vacation to his home country.

The staffs can be really tight...or they can be really vicious. But a spirit of teamwork is definitely encouraged. And exemplary work is recognized.

In an 8-hour shift you get three breaks: one 30-minute clock-out lunch, and two 10-minute on the clock breaks.

You'll also occasionally get those amazing customers and you live for seeing them. We had four customers who every year each put 100 bucks in our tip jar around Christmas. Sometimes those people can make your day with the things they say and do.

ConsIf you work at a store worth their salt they will work you to the bone. Especially in a large or high-volume store there is so much to do, so much to clean. A morning shift person will have the absolutely insanity of a morning rush, but an evening person should be expected to handle evening rushes with a limited staff as WELL as get the place spotless in what I believe is not a reasonable time. We could get the place clean by 10:45, all right--if we broke the health and corporate rules about when to tear things down. And of course if that was ever found out we were in deep. And if we went over 10:45 we were also in trouble. Management sometimes has some very unrealistic ideas about what the job actually entails and what rules and boundaries should go with that.

The pay in my state starts near minimum wage. The ceiling for a barista is $10/hr, which you hit when you've been there about five years. But tips help, and some high-volume affluent stores will have tips up to $4/hr.

There's also a tendency to have fanatical management. Other "kindly" corporations like Whole Foods have this too--the managers drink the Kool-Aid and worship the company. I once spoke with my manager because my schedule was being changed with less than 24 hours notice, and that was against state law. She got this crazed look in her eye and spat "Starbucks law goes above state law!" But that's only a tendency. There are some pretty cool managers out there. Mine was insane.

The customers are spoiled rotten so they also get kind of unreasonable about their Starbucks. They will stand there and demand that you make a drink five times because there's still foam on that latte and they said NO foam, not LIGHT foam. This is a business model of Starbucks': everyone is special, and we will bend the rules for everybody. And I've had people scream at me and call me a (b) and promise me that they would make me lose my job. I've also had stuff thrown at me. But, that's also just customer service.

These last few years Starbucks has been obsessed with selling, too. There's a lot of pressure on the staff to make sure people go home with $15 bags of coffee and sub-par espresso machines. It's hard to maintain the relationships they want us to maintain while trying to sell stuff.

Overall, if you can put up with the customers and the physical demand, and if benefits are more important than income, do it. It's rewarding in its own way. Wear insoles.

Advice to Senior ManagementDrop the obsession with sales. You're damaging customer relationships and making yourself look like "Just another corporation."

Assistant Store Manager

Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee)

ProsStarbucks is a responsible company that tries to take care of it's partners and it's surrounding environment. The culture is fast paced and you take away more things than just how to make coffee.

ConsThe company is in a competitive market and tries to innovate to stay on top of it's game. In doing so, it's losing the personal touch and connection it used to have with customers. Partners are often over worked and there are just so many customizations to drinks and food that it has become unreasonable. It slowly becoming a fast food chain like McDonalds and less about coffee culture.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of fizzio. Stop with the individual pulling of pastries. Go back to being about coffee and tea. You're going in the right direction with helping partners pay for college and continuing with 401k contributions etc.

Amazing!

Barista - Starbucks (Current Employee) High Point, NC (US)

ProsThe people that you got to know on a personal level.
    Great employees, manager is one of the best.

ConsThe time when customers weren't coming in as often made it hard to stay busy.

Worked for Starbucks? Contribute to the Community!