State Farm
www.statefarm.com Bloomington, IL 5000+ Employees

State Farm Reviews

Updated Apr 15, 2014

3.5 1,283 reviews

State Farm Chairman and CEO Ed Rust Jr.

Ed Rust Jr.

1,283 Employee Reviews

Pros:
  • "Great work life balance and encouragement to continue insurance education"
    in 81 reviews
  • "Flexible hours, commission based sales, great work environment"
    in 58 reviews
Cons:
  • "Employees, while they used to welcome the extra pay, feel the work-life balance is skewed to work life"
    in 15 reviews
  • "Agents are considered "independent contractors" with no benefits but are treated like "employees"
    in 28 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

A family oriented company.

CSA (Former Employee)
Las Vegas, NV (US)

I worked at State Farm full-time for more than a year

ProsWorking at State Farm is like working for your family. They care about you as if you are their flesh and blood. They want to see you succeed, and they will help you reach your goals any way they can.

ConsThe hours can be long, and sometimes your heart aches for your customers when you feel you have done everything you can do for them and it isn't enough.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't be afraid to ask your employees how their day is going, whats going on in their lives. Learn about THEM. Learn about their lives. How they are doing outside those office doors affects job performance. sometimes just knowing someone cares can really boost morale and quality of work load.

Culture change underway from family atmosphere to white collar assembly line.

Salaried Professional (Former Employee)
Midwest City, OK (US)

I worked at State Farm full-time for more than 10 years

ProsDue to a massive reorganization, tens of thousands of employees are being displaced or replaced in the next 3 - 4 years with 30,000+ employees ending up in 4 main hubs, Atlanta, Dallas, Phoenix and Tacoma. This represents an incredible opportunity for those under 30 looking to get your career started. You do not need very much work experience to get hired at this company just the requisite skill sets needed for a given position. Career advancement opportunity in these 4 cities should be substantial. I enjoyed 25+ years at State Farm before being displaced and loved working with great, capable co-workers.

ConsSince this is a mutual organization (i.e. not a stock company), upper management is not accountable for company performance as the "Board of Directors" is a rubber stamp for any and all organizational initiatives. Management is mostly inbred, and middle management has reached positions in departments that they don't have actual work experience in resulting in very poor policyholder customer service. Top Executives have lifetime job security, and some of the finest leaders have unfortunately retired or left the company in the past few years.The company is poorly directed at the top as there is a figurehead Chairman (his selection based on his family heritage). The backbone of the company is a large, professional, outstanding and loyal long term tenured employee group, about 20% of the Sales Agents (and their Team Members) bring in 100 % of the new business. Neither of these two groups have had much (if any) input into the re-engineering of State Farm, and that is shameful.

Advice to Senior ManagementSeek advice from employees that actually carry out the company's mission everyday instead of creating hundreds of Analysts that capture the production metrics of ill conceived processes that should never have been implemented if employees had been allowed to envision what's best for our customers. Mr Chairman, PLEASE RETIRE! Mr CFO, you are a brilliant person, but you have decimated this company and it's culture. Your penchant for SIGMA SIX lean processes would be great in a manufacturing organization, but I fear you have endangered our great employees livelihood and are heading the company to DEEP SIX. A relationship business cannot thrive on production numbers and metrics.Time for you to go sir! Board of Directors, your are the weakest link in our organization, stop being a rubber stamp for the CFO and Chairman's Office and actually show some thoughtful leadership and oversight for a change!

QA tester

QA Tester (Former Employee)
Bloomington, IL (US)

I worked at State Farm as a contractor for more than a year

Prosgood pay with good benefits, flexible hours and schedule .

ConsToo long and unnecessary meetings.

Advice to Senior ManagementMay be shorten the meeting time.

Achieved productivity goals and set records.

Licensed Staff (Former Employee)
Wichita, KS (US)

I worked at State Farm full-time for more than 10 years

ProsIt was a good experience for the period of my life that I worked there.I gained many skills

ConsThe demands of being an expert in many fields.

Advice to Senior Managementn/a

Claims Adjuster - NY PIP

Claims Adjuster NY PIP (Current Employee)
Albany, NY (US)

I have been working at State Farm full-time for more than a year

ProsExcellent advancement. Management is excellent. Location is excellent. Pay is extremely fair.

ConsCan't think of any Cons at the moment, but they make us put something in this box.

Good for a large company

Technical Analyst (Current Employee)
Bloomington, IL (US)

I have been working at State Farm full-time for more than 10 years

ProsCoworkers
Benefits
Work Life Balance
Ethics
Small City Life

ConsLots of Red Tape
Same cons as any large company
Fairly conservative area

Very good company to work for.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at State Farm

ProsGreat people with excellent benefits.

ConsStressful and Intense work environment!

Unlicensed Office Assistant

Unlicensed Office Assistant (Current Employee)
Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at State Farm full-time for less than a year

ProsPretty secure job if you are a diligent worker

ConsHigh turn over based on agent opinion of employee work ethic

Advice to Senior ManagementI am curious to know if the call centers can be expanded for SFPP and auto service. The call wait times are atrocious and really take away from a day's work.

Great

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at State Farm full-time for more than 5 years

ProsFriendly people and great team.

ConsSmall city and cold weather

Good Company

CCC Services (Current Employee)
Atlanta, GA (US)

I have been working at State Farm full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat Company to work for. Pleanty of opportunity for advancement.

ConsWeekends are not yours. Long Shifts on weekends

Worked for State Farm? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at State Farm reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for State Farm CEO Ed Rust Jr.. All 1,283 reviews are posted anonymously by State Farm employees.