State Farm

Updated 31 January 2015
1,907 Reviews
3.5
1,907 Reviews

State Farm Chairman and CEO Ed Rust Jr.
Ed Rust Jr.
1,054 Ratings

Pros
  • Great work life balance and encouragement to continue insurance education (in 106 reviews)

• Great training program, plenty of opportunities to advance and great benefits package (in 82 reviews)

Cons
  • As a side note - I had significant work / life balance issues as an agent (in 28 reviews)

• No room for advancement with contract employees and lower pay with no benefits (in 41 reviews)

More Highlights

Office Manager-State Farm Agency

Current Employee - Office Manager in Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Office Manager in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I have been working at State Farm full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

I have worked for SF for 8 years on the agency side. I don't have one complaint. My pay is very good 65K plus a year. Time off is great and office culture is amazing. Working under and Agent vs SF Corporate allows the agent to make decisions. Working for in an office is like any other small business each situation is unique.

Cons

Anyone who works in Agency that complains about the office or agent the work for its simple leave. If you are a good team member who knows what they are doing and does it will there are plenty of good agency. There are many agents that pay well, repeat their team members and make working in insurance fun. People also need to understand that State Farm have no control over how agents manage their employees. Most long term team members consider this a major PLUS..

Work on operations. It is frustrating for team members to have 30 minute hold times when trying to get help from our SF departments.

State Farm is a great company.

Current Employee - Office Manager in Brooklyn, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Office Manager in Brooklyn, NY (US)

I have been working at State Farm full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The company was great to work for. I enjoy my job and speaking with customers. The company did right by the customers.

Cons

Longevity isn't a sure thing as the industry is rapidly training. In certain departments you may hit a ceiling and unable to move forward as you would like or have expected.

There are great people working withing the agencies that should be considered for positions outside the offices to expand opportunities.

Agent Intern

I have been working at State Farm full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Thorough training program that is fully paid for.

Cons

Depending on where you train, experience could be different for all.

Advice is more for the corporate side: Insurance is changing and State Farm is slow to move. State Farm is losing entry level clients (Autos) because of price.

Decent job

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN (US)

I have been working at State Farm full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great place to work full time.

Cons

Fast pace environment and always changing.

Great place to forge a career.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bloomington, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bloomington, IL (US)

I have been working at State Farm

Pros

Great work/life balance, good benefits, strong focus on and support for ongoing career development. Opportunities to make a significant business impact. Nice flat management structure. The company takes pride in its history, culture and reputation.

Cons

Salary ranges were reasonable, but not overly competitive with opportunities in less isolated/rural geographies. Culture, while well-knit, can feel exclusionary at times.

Great place to work.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bloomington, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bloomington, IL (US)

I worked at State Farm

Pros

-Support from management
    -Friendly atmosphere
    -Pension plan
    -Many opportunities for growth
    -Job stability

Cons

-I do not have any cons that I can think of.

I am grateful for the opportunity that I had to work for State Farm...It was a great place and made many good friends. I would recommend this company to anyone who wants to build a long term career.

My advice to management would be to implement MBA rotational programs in order to attract a greater pool of talented candidates into the organization.

A decent company

Current Employee - Change Coordinator
    Current Employee - Change Coordinator

I have been working at State Farm

Pros

State Farm is family focused. The people are great to work with. State Farm seems to be secure, having recently passed 90 years.

Cons

if you are a contractor looking to get hired on, this can be a very long process. There are some here that have been contractors for 10+ years. people are told there is a hiring freeze while people are getting hired on.

Great company!

I have been working at State Farm

Pros

Sharon Owens is a great boss. It was a warm learning environment with great benefits.

Cons

Difficult place to work if you struggle in an office setting.

Agency Sales is a good place to start

I have been working at State Farm full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

This is a very easy product to sell because everybody needs it. Further, it feels pretty fulfilling selling something that protects people, so if you're looking to start your career in sales this is a great place to begin.

Cons

It definitely has a cap as far as how much money you can make, because most agents don't pay much base salary at ALL and have a very limited commissions schedule. Also, your sales are only based on how much marketing your agent does so it's very hard to really max out your commissions if your agent isn't looking to seriously grow his or her agency. Further, there is no opportunity for promotion unless you choose to own your own agency which is VERY expensive and difficult.

Invest in your employees. Pass along the first year commissions to your sales people, you have your whole lives to collect the residuals.