State Farm

www.statefarm.com

State Farm Reviews

Updated Jul 28, 2014

3.5 1,479 reviews

State Farm Chairman and CEO Ed Rust Jr.

Ed Rust Jr.

Pros
  • Great work life balance and encouragement to continue insurance education (in 88 reviews)

• The company has a good work environment and works to help employees meet their needs (in 68 reviews)

Cons
  • As a side note - I had significant work / life balance issues as an agent (in 19 reviews)

• No room for advancement with contract employees and lower pay with no benefits (in 34 reviews)

More Highlights
1,479 Employee Reviews

Solid

Insurance Sales Representative (Current Employee) Norfolk, VA (US)

ProsVery flexible hours due to the small offices.
    Good starting pay
    Comfortable Good Base salary
    Keeps you focused because of the commission income.

ConsNot much room to move up. Start out is good, but you can easily make less as time goes on

Advice to Senior ManagementIt doesn't matter since they are franchised, numbers are numbers and they are only focused on agent's numbers. Agents determine the pay so upper management isn't concerned on specific office staff numbers.

Company is very reputable, and financially secure.

Customer Service (Former Employee) Tallahassee, FL (US)

ProsOffers advancement with company training and licensing. Good benefits and perks.

ConsVery competitive: high goals. Must have knowledge of many products.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep focus on clients.

It's not always Cliff Paul and Aaron Rodgers

ProsValuable knowledge, looks great on resume, household brand

ConsTough to get ahead, upward mobility severely limited, compensation plan can be rough.

Advice to Senior ManagementShifting towards the Aspirant program for hiring agents is smart, but not all aspirants are created and compensated equally. Agents have a large incentive to produce aspirants that are competent, why not invest in the aspirants themselves? Professional development and training should be part of a standard program to encourage success of aspirants.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Efficient company with good salary and benefits

Fire Claim Representative (Former Employee)

ProsThe company has excellent corporate and community values. There is a strong inner culture and shared experiences within one's peer group. In claims we genuinely tried to do the right thing paying what we owe, not a penny more and not a penny less.

ConsSometimes it seemed the wrong people were promoted. Too much emphasis placed on continuing ed which meant some individuals were placed in management simply because they do well on tests and have accrued a designation. Also at times, favorites were played in selecting managers and giving special projects.

Advice to Senior ManagementAdvice to senior level management is to respect the thousands of individuals who perform the day to day operations which make State Farm what it is. Think about their work environment and the impact some of your thoughtless and naïve decisions have upon them.

State Farm Auto Claims Processor

Auto Claims Processor (Current Employee) Irvine, CA (US)

ProsGreat entry level position with multiple opportunities to move up in the company. Company has a great tuition reimbursement policy and lots of over time.

ConsOpportunities for growth are limited in the state of CA unless you're willing to relocate to another state.

Underwriting Service Assistant

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood benefits-medical, dental, hospital, life, pension

ConsLow pay, way too low compared to other companies

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees when they express issues/concerns.

Great company

Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) Tempe, AZ (US)

ProsCo workers and teamwork ok

Consno cons for this hob yet

Advice to Senior Managementno adivse to management yet

Very professional and generous working conditions. Great experience!

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) Cocoa, FL (US)

ProsVery generous bonus structure and friendly work environment. Curt is very knowledgeable and hands on with the day to day business. He stands up for his employees and let's you know that he appreciates the work you do for him. All the staff are friendly and professional, good mix of professionalism with team environment. Curt made sure we were supplied with the latest technology, making our jobs easier and us more efficient employees. The surprise dairy queen desserts were an extra bonus!

ConsVery busy office. Several family members employed and slight feel of favoritism towards them over other employees. Only on occasion, not a daily vibe.

ILR Claim Rep

Claims Representative (Current Employee) Richardson, TX (US)

ProsThe benefits are great
    Chance for advancement
    Training was knowledgeable abs advanced
    Bonus structure
    Laid back and not overwhelming
    Family work balance

ConsThe pay is way low for the job we do. They continue to add more work on us but don't pay us for the extra work. Compared to other companies the post should be higher. When wanting to advance in the company it relies heavily in attendance. I've seen people with poor work ethic, sloppy speech but missed only one day get the promotion.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen looking to promote go off quality of work and also the pay needs to be reconsidered for the amount of work ILR does considering we're the first point of contact and do most of the work!

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

It has been somewhat pleasant.

Underwriting Service Support Assistant (Current Employee) Winter Haven, FL (US)

ProsYour hours are guaranteed, along with yearly salary raises & bonuses! You are also given vacation time, as well as personal time up front.

ConsSeems like you have to be working here for several years to be promoted. The way annual reviews are done, that ultimately determine your yearly raise is not always fair.

Advice to Senior ManagementEvery member on a team brings a different, influencial dynamic to each team! Everyone should be appreciated and praised whether they have been there 5 days, 5 months or 5 years!

Worked for State Farm? Contribute to the Community!