State Street

Updated Jul 24, 2014

2.7 1,216 reviews

State Street President and CEO Joseph (Jay) L. Hooley

Joseph (Jay) L. Hooley

Pros
  • Company has good benefits and is looking to improve work/life balance for employees(in 118 reviews)

• Many employees can work from home a few days a week if their responsibilities allow them to(in 55 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/Life balance is one of their "core tenets" but they don't practice what they preach(in 36 reviews)

• long hours, too much operational work, not so many bright people that can inspire you(in 47 reviews)

1,216 Employee Reviews

exciting for the first few months only

Fund Accountant, Associate I (Former Employee) Sydney

Proswork environment was not too competitive. employees get along with each other pretty well. the job was not too hard. quite a good start for fresh graduates. for master's students, it was way too low to start in here.

Consthe system used is solely for state street, unlike jp morgan or anz who use the same system. knowledge gained from state street (system wise) are not transferable. promotion opportunities are limited.

Advice to Senior Managementnot too much delegation on the analysts. managers and client accountants should be aware of what is going on too. clients would not be impressed with managers or client accountants who were not competent to answer their queries.

analyst at state street australia

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Sydney

Prosgood work and life balance. laid back environment. managers try to avoid overtime by all means, which means employees get to go home on time.

Consmany inexperienced and undedicated colleagues. not much training given in the beginning. learn as you go is the motto. many employees don't take their work seriously.

Advice to Senior Managementreview the recruitment process. be sure to hire people with flexibility which means having the time to work the extra hours required instead of pressuring the other employees who are reluctantly covering for the unavailability of these undedicated employees.

Cares about employee development

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Sydney

ProsState Street as a company encourages growth and development. While working for State Street (in relatviely junior roles) they have taken me from working in London, to the headquarters in Boston and now to Sydney (my original home). I now have a regional role in a field completely different from what I started my career in and this is all down to the development opportunities I have been offered.
    My manager is supportive in terms of flexibile work arrangements and I currently have the option to vary my start and finish times, work from home and compress my work week when neccessary.

ConsAs it is a global company, and as I work on global initiatives, there can be days with long hours, especially when dealing with global conference calls. Unfortunately the Asia time zone always seems to come out worst! Mindsets can be very Boston-centric at times with many initiatives having a strong US bias. Turnover can be a bit of a struggle in Asia, having a knock on effect - the worse it gets, the harder it is for other staff members to keep on top of things, leading to more turnover. That said, it does create opportunities for others who want to move upwards.

Advice to Senior ManagementSpend more time being visual to employees. Let them see you walking the floor every now and then.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

good people and good compay

Associate (Current Employee) Hangzhou, Zhejiang (China)

Prosgood people and good compay

Consgood people and good compay

Great Company

Fund Controller (Former Employee) Boston, MA (US)

ProsI had previously work in the AIS Real Estate Performance Measurement area and always impressed at how they continued to search and improve ways to service their clients.

ConsUpper management wasn't always forthcoming on how they felt about certain business groups.

Advice to Senior ManagementI would recommend having a VP level person running a business group as the lower levels of management don't always have the experience level to properly service the clients. That level is to close to the work many times and can lose sight of what their clients are really looking for.

Job..

Project Manager (Current Employee) Boston, MA (US)

Prosflexible flexible flexible flexible flexible

Consbusiness lacks discipline business lacks discipline

Advice to Senior Managementimprove your FT employee quality through better HR

IT Dept Summer Intern

Intern (Former Employee) Boston, MA (US)

ProsVery friendly people. Supervisor took time out of her schedule to get me up to speed and made sure I knew what I was doing.

ConsSome people may find it boring. I personally always had work to keep me occupied. May not understand the a lot of terms even after the internship ends.

Not a very good outlook for future management

Accounting and Pricing Analyst, Senior Associate (Current Employee)

ProsGreat people and relaxed work atmosphere. It is probably a good place to start your career but not a good place to stay.

ConsThey have moved to segmented business model where it is hard to understand the purpose of your job. This will lead to poor unknowledgeable management in the future. It also seems like they are trying to move as much work as they can to india. In the future they are going to have to find managers from other companies in order to have people that know what they are doing.

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter training so employees will understand the big picture!

Awesome place to work

Assistant Vice President (Current Employee) Los Angeles, CA (US)

ProsExcellent benefits, great team to work with.

ConsNone that I can think of

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

Overworked and Underpaid

ProsEasy to get hired, good chance for mobility, 3 weeks of vacation time, plenty of chances to work overtime

Consrepetitive work, extremely low salaries and pay bumps, too many managers on different pages

Worked for State Street? Contribute to the Community!