State Street Reviews

2.7
1,306 Reviews

State Street President and CEO Joseph (Jay) L. Hooley
Joseph (Jay) L. Hooley

Pros
  • Company has good benefits and is looking to improve work/life balance for employees (in 120 reviews)

• Many employees can work from home a few days a week if their responsibilities allow them to (in 55 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/Life balance is one of their "core tenets" but they don't practice what they preach (in 36 reviews)

• long hours, too much operational work, not so many bright people that can inspire you (in 47 reviews)

More Highlights

exciting for the first few months only

Former Employee - Fund Accountant, Associate I  in  Sydney
    Former Employee - Fund Accountant, Associate I in Sydney

I worked at State Street

Pros

work environment was not too competitive. employees get along with each other pretty well. the job was not too hard. quite a good start for fresh graduates. for master's students, it was way too low to start in here.

Cons

the system used is solely for state street, unlike jp morgan or anz who use the same system. knowledge gained from state street (system wise) are not transferable. promotion opportunities are limited.

not too much delegation on the analysts. managers and client accountants should be aware of what is going on too. clients would not be impressed with managers or client accountants who were not competent to answer their queries.

analyst at state street australia

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Sydney
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sydney

I worked at State Street

Pros

good work and life balance. laid back environment. managers try to avoid overtime by all means, which means employees get to go home on time.

Cons

many inexperienced and undedicated colleagues. not much training given in the beginning. learn as you go is the motto. many employees don't take their work seriously.

review the recruitment process. be sure to hire people with flexibility which means having the time to work the extra hours required instead of pressuring the other employees who are reluctantly covering for the unavailability of these undedicated employees.

Cares about employee development

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Sydney
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sydney

I have been working at State Street

Pros

State Street as a company encourages growth and development. While working for State Street (in relatviely junior roles) they have taken me from working in London, to the headquarters in Boston and now to Sydney (my original home). I now have a regional role in a field completely different from what I started my career in and this is all down to the development opportunities I have been offered.
    My manager is supportive in terms of flexibile work arrangements and I currently have the option to vary my start and finish times, work from home and compress my work week when neccessary.

Cons

As it is a global company, and as I work on global initiatives, there can be days with long hours, especially when dealing with global conference calls. Unfortunately the Asia time zone always seems to come out worst! Mindsets can be very Boston-centric at times with many initiatives having a strong US bias. Turnover can be a bit of a struggle in Asia, having a knock on effect - the worse it gets, the harder it is for other staff members to keep on top of things, leading to more turnover. That said, it does create opportunities for others who want to move upwards.

Spend more time being visual to employees. Let them see you walking the floor every now and then.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

m'eh

I have been working at State Street full-time

Pros

Good work-life balance, flexible hours, good culture

Cons

Poor staffing, laughably low salaries

Great people

I have been working at State Street

Pros

Really enjoy the life work and time spent with the people of both my team and those all involved within the bank

Cons

money is ok, but the commute could be better after working long hours helping cover those out on vacation time

Good

Current Employee - Senior Associate  in  Paris (France)
    Current Employee - Senior Associate in Paris (France)

I have been working at State Street full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good atmosphere And good team spirit

Cons

Everything is ok . I like state street corporate culture

None

Client Services Fund Accountant

Current Employee - Client Services Fund Accountant  in  Quincy, MA (US)
    Current Employee - Client Services Fund Accountant in Quincy, MA (US)

I have been working at State Street as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

I like how my schdule never changes. Work hard during the week and have weekends off. The workload for everyday is different. Some requests that come in I am not familiar with but I have great supporting team around me to help solve the discrepancies. The office environment is very diverse. People are really polite and respectful mostly.

Cons

Sometimes the day can seem long. Some people working the food stations in the cafeteria on the second floor can act moody towards the actual state street workers.

No complaints

Great

I worked at State Street full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Flexibility in working hours, liberalism, great people

Cons

Too many bureaucratic obstacles in getting things done

Good internship experience...but could have been better.

Former Employee - Corporate Intern  in  Boston, MA (US)
    Former Employee - Corporate Intern in Boston, MA (US)

I worked at State Street as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Friendly co-workers with a largely young workforce that interns can relate to; a lot of opportunity for promotion if you join the company after graduation; good location; meaningful work most of the time; flexible if something personal comes up

Cons

Starting salary is incredibly low - interns get paid the same or more per hour than an entry-level salary pays. Why offer so many internships when those now qualified students aren't going to want to stay with the company for this reason? Buildings are really spread out over the city so it's hard to get to know other interns/feel part of a commuinity

Raise your starting salary and/or offer jobs at the end of the summer to make it seem like you care what happens to them afterwards

Good company for college hire.

Current Employee - Fund Administrator  in  Kansas City, MO (US)
    Current Employee - Fund Administrator in Kansas City, MO (US)

I have been working at State Street full-time for more than a year

Pros

Training program, good team, above average benefits, support for flexibility.

Cons

A lot of overtime, no career planning, stressful.

The company needs to address the high turn over rates in some of the operating units: work on retaining talents!

Worked for State Street? Contribute to the Community!