State Street Reviews

2.7
1,312 Reviews

State Street President and CEO Joseph (Jay) L. Hooley
Joseph (Jay) L. Hooley

Pros
  • Company has good benefits and is looking to improve work/life balance for employees (in 124 reviews)

• Many employees can work from home a few days a week if their responsibilities allow them to (in 60 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/Life balance is one of their "core tenets" but they don't practice what they preach (in 39 reviews)

• long hours, too much operational work, not so many bright people that can inspire you (in 53 reviews)

More Highlights

exciting for the first few months only

Former Employee - Fund Accountant, Associate I in Sydney
    Former Employee - Fund Accountant, Associate I in Sydney

I worked at State Street

Pros

work environment was not too competitive. employees get along with each other pretty well. the job was not too hard. quite a good start for fresh graduates. for master's students, it was way too low to start in here.

Cons

the system used is solely for state street, unlike jp morgan or anz who use the same system. knowledge gained from state street (system wise) are not transferable. promotion opportunities are limited.

not too much delegation on the analysts. managers and client accountants should be aware of what is going on too. clients would not be impressed with managers or client accountants who were not competent to answer their queries.

analyst at state street australia

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sydney
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sydney

I worked at State Street

Pros

good work and life balance. laid back environment. managers try to avoid overtime by all means, which means employees get to go home on time.

Cons

many inexperienced and undedicated colleagues. not much training given in the beginning. learn as you go is the motto. many employees don't take their work seriously.

review the recruitment process. be sure to hire people with flexibility which means having the time to work the extra hours required instead of pressuring the other employees who are reluctantly covering for the unavailability of these undedicated employees.

Cares about employee development

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sydney
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sydney

I have been working at State Street

Pros

State Street as a company encourages growth and development. While working for State Street (in relatviely junior roles) they have taken me from working in London, to the headquarters in Boston and now to Sydney (my original home). I now have a regional role in a field completely different from what I started my career in and this is all down to the development opportunities I have been offered.
    My manager is supportive in terms of flexibile work arrangements and I currently have the option to vary my start and finish times, work from home and compress my work week when neccessary.

Cons

As it is a global company, and as I work on global initiatives, there can be days with long hours, especially when dealing with global conference calls. Unfortunately the Asia time zone always seems to come out worst! Mindsets can be very Boston-centric at times with many initiatives having a strong US bias. Turnover can be a bit of a struggle in Asia, having a knock on effect - the worse it gets, the harder it is for other staff members to keep on top of things, leading to more turnover. That said, it does create opportunities for others who want to move upwards.

Spend more time being visual to employees. Let them see you walking the floor every now and then.

Associate 2

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at State Street full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good workers. The flexibility to work from home when needed is a great incentive.

Cons

Low pay!! Company doesn't compensate employees for their commitment and hard work.

Need to award employees for their hard work. They tend to award employees who do not work or care about the work that they do.

Fabulous Internship

I worked at State Street as an intern

Pros

Absolutely loved it, many opportunities for different professional events, hands-on learning

Cons

none! very great management, leadership and maintenance of the many interns

Keep it up!

Associate 2

I have been working at State Street full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

stable, easy tasks, senior management are wll nice, work life balance is good

Cons

Not much career advancement, very few promotion opportunities

Good opportunity to gain valuable industry experience, but low pay and little advancement options.

Former Employee - Anonymous in Kansas City, MO (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Kansas City, MO (US)

I worked at State Street (more than 5 years)

Pros

The people, the experience, working from home options, and the benefits

Cons

I worked here for 7 years. I started at $32,000 like all my peers. Despite consistently meeting or exceeding expectations on my PPR, I was never promoted and was making a little over $36,000 when I left.

Recognize and promote associates who show promise

Good, but highly bureaucratic

I have been working at State Street full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good work/life balance.
    Competitive base salary and Merit based yearly bonus structure.
    Generous maternity/paternity leave and vacation for higher levels.

Cons

Highly bureaucratic and strict adherence to hierarchy.
    Not the place if you are somebody who thinks out of the box and want to do things differently as there are process hurdles.
    Attitude among folks is to get the operational system issues working and get by somehow rather than attacking the core of the issue and devising ways to apply a permanent fix which obviously requires some lateral thinking and more often than not, time pressure to deliver comes in the way.
    Be nice and visible and you will be rewarded well irrespective of the quality of work.

Layoffs, Layoffs, Layoffs to good people

Current Employee - Assistant Vice President in Boston, MA (US)
    Current Employee - Assistant Vice President in Boston, MA (US)

I have been working at State Street full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Experience, work-life balance, benefits, retirement matching,

Cons

compensation, no loyalty to employees with many years of service, constants layoffs and corporate driven. Pay consultants not employees.

training, leadership

Good company, but currently playing in a difficult environment

I worked at State Street

Pros

State Street is a global institution with smart professional people and can offer high-impact, challenging job opportunities in some of the most interesting areas of financial services today.

Cons

The current industry environment is difficult and not likely to get better for some time, with the sluggish recovery and more intense regulation. As a result, like all other major banks, State Street will continue to have to succeed by cutting costs, making job stability shaky and a high pressure workplace.

Seek to show better support of employees strained by current tough environment and the pressure that comes with it.