State Street

2.7
1,291 Reviews

State Street President and CEO Joseph (Jay) L. Hooley
Joseph (Jay) L. Hooley

Pros
  • Company has good benefits and is looking to improve work/life balance for employees (in 120 reviews)

• Many employees can work from home a few days a week if their responsibilities allow them to (in 55 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/Life balance is one of their "core tenets" but they don't practice what they preach (in 36 reviews)

• long hours, too much operational work, not so many bright people that can inspire you (in 47 reviews)

More Highlights

exciting for the first few months only

Former Employee - Fund Accountant, Associate I  in  Sydney
    Former Employee - Fund Accountant, Associate I in Sydney

Pros

work environment was not too competitive. employees get along with each other pretty well. the job was not too hard. quite a good start for fresh graduates. for master's students, it was way too low to start in here.

Cons

the system used is solely for state street, unlike jp morgan or anz who use the same system. knowledge gained from state street (system wise) are not transferable. promotion opportunities are limited.

not too much delegation on the analysts. managers and client accountants should be aware of what is going on too. clients would not be impressed with managers or client accountants who were not competent to answer their queries.

analyst at state street australia

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Sydney
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sydney

Pros

good work and life balance. laid back environment. managers try to avoid overtime by all means, which means employees get to go home on time.

Cons

many inexperienced and undedicated colleagues. not much training given in the beginning. learn as you go is the motto. many employees don't take their work seriously.

review the recruitment process. be sure to hire people with flexibility which means having the time to work the extra hours required instead of pressuring the other employees who are reluctantly covering for the unavailability of these undedicated employees.

Cares about employee development

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Sydney
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sydney

Pros

State Street as a company encourages growth and development. While working for State Street (in relatviely junior roles) they have taken me from working in London, to the headquarters in Boston and now to Sydney (my original home). I now have a regional role in a field completely different from what I started my career in and this is all down to the development opportunities I have been offered.
    My manager is supportive in terms of flexibile work arrangements and I currently have the option to vary my start and finish times, work from home and compress my work week when neccessary.

Cons

As it is a global company, and as I work on global initiatives, there can be days with long hours, especially when dealing with global conference calls. Unfortunately the Asia time zone always seems to come out worst! Mindsets can be very Boston-centric at times with many initiatives having a strong US bias. Turnover can be a bit of a struggle in Asia, having a knock on effect - the worse it gets, the harder it is for other staff members to keep on top of things, leading to more turnover. That said, it does create opportunities for others who want to move upwards.

Spend more time being visual to employees. Let them see you walking the floor every now and then.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

m'eh

Pros

Good work-life balance, flexible hours, good culture

Cons

Poor staffing, laughably low salaries

Good experience as an intern

Pros

Great internal access to learn about the company and industry
    people are easy to get along with, no jerks that i worked with
    boston great city to work in

Cons

work was sometimes not very challenging
    work is very cyclical, sometimes very bored
    hours are very short relative to industry, pay is not the best

Excellent company with above average benefits.

Former Employee - Account Manager  in  Boston, MA (US)
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Boston, MA (US)

Pros

The company is a large global company and offers several different areas to help further your career.

Cons

The company has lot some of their focus on their core employees and has overemphasised senior management.

Start focusing more on your employees with regards to benefits.

review

Pros

global footprint, loyalty is high for employees with over 5 years, CEO tries to do the right things

Cons

management too hierarchical, some senior management has very archaic views that no longer apply, diminished benefits each year

Very boring and uneventful internship

Pros

Nice coworkers, always were readily available for help whenever it was needed. Managers were great to us and made sure our morale was always up.

Cons

Unprepared for the interns and did not have enough work for us to complete.

Understood that not much responsibility can be given to summer interns, but the lack of work was not good.

A good stepping stone to better opportunities

Former Employee - Fund Accountant, Associate II  in  Kansas City, MO (US)
    Former Employee - Fund Accountant, Associate II in Kansas City, MO (US)

Pros

If you are looking for a job, apply at State Street. It's a steady salary with relatively easy work. You do not need to be in accounting, finance, business - all majors are encouraged to apply. There are a lot of young workers fresh out of college, so it's a good place to meet new people, too. The employment perks include various activities, games, and having that "corporate" feel , which can be a valuable experience when working in teams. State Street has a good name recognition and its' experience can be valuable to anyone's resume when looking elsewhere. Also, vacation time is on point.

Cons

It is a revolving door of turnover. These young people you meet will eventually leave for better opportunities (usually less than 1 year employed), as long as they are motivated to move up in their career. State Street has availability for middle management due to this turnover, but the pay will not be worth the added stress. The pay is absolutely the biggest gripe I've ever heard. For the company to target Accounting, Finance, Business majors - all of us want more out of our job. With the promotions that do happen, there's no real incentive except for a resume boost. I have been involved with several State Street activities, but that's ultimately the reason I left: better opportunities to grow and to earn a better living.

-Target non-business related majors - they can do the job just as easily and are more likely to stay longer term.
    -Screen middle management to make sure they are doing an adequate job.
    -Create a better pay structure that at least gives new hires something to look forward to.
    -Own your parking lots so the employees do not have to pay each month.

You won't be pushed

Pros

Very chilled company comparative to other financial institutions

Cons

Too chilled for those that like a fast paced environment and want to learn.

Worked for State Street? Contribute to the Community!