State Street

2.8
1,432 Reviews

State Street President and CEO Joseph (Jay) L. Hooley
Joseph (Jay) L. Hooley

Pros
  • Good work life balance with potential to work from home or create a flexible schedule (in 132 reviews)

• The flex work schedule, most people have an option to work from home twice a week (in 65 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/Life balance is one of their "core tenets" but they don't practice what they preach (in 42 reviews)

• long hours, too much operational work, not so many bright people that can inspire you (in 57 reviews)

More Highlights

boring job with low pay; no career future

Current Employee - Associate in Sydney
    Current Employee - Associate in Sydney

I have been working at State Street full-time (more than an year)

Pros

easy job, no stress and good company location

Cons

culture is slow and lack of innovation

Poor compensation, hierarchical, low morale, high turnover of staff

I worked at State Street

Pros

Not a bad stepping stone into the world of finance if you have no prior experience. Globally recognised employer / organisation. Possibility of getting broad exposure.

Cons

Some depts can work long hours with low pay. Low morale among staff and hence a high turnover. Disgruntled staff feel under appreciated. Beurocratic environment. Unwillingness among departments to take on responsibility and work together can be frustrating. Apathetic middle management.

Improve pay. Encourage communication among departments. Incentivise and motivate staff. Realise that people are key to an organisation. Cross train.

exciting for the first few months only

Former Employee - Fund Accountant, Associate I in Sydney
    Former Employee - Fund Accountant, Associate I in Sydney

I worked at State Street

Pros

work environment was not too competitive. employees get along with each other pretty well. the job was not too hard. quite a good start for fresh graduates. for master's students, it was way too low to start in here.

Cons

the system used is solely for state street, unlike jp morgan or anz who use the same system. knowledge gained from state street (system wise) are not transferable. promotion opportunities are limited.

not too much delegation on the analysts. managers and client accountants should be aware of what is going on too. clients would not be impressed with managers or client accountants who were not competent to answer their queries.

analyst at state street australia

I worked at State Street

Pros

good work and life balance. laid back environment. managers try to avoid overtime by all means, which means employees get to go home on time.

Cons

many inexperienced and undedicated colleagues. not much training given in the beginning. learn as you go is the motto. many employees don't take their work seriously.

review the recruitment process. be sure to hire people with flexibility which means having the time to work the extra hours required instead of pressuring the other employees who are reluctantly covering for the unavailability of these undedicated employees.

Cares about employee development

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sydney
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sydney

I have been working at State Street

Pros

State Street as a company encourages growth and development. While working for State Street (in relatviely junior roles) they have taken me from working in London, to the headquarters in Boston and now to Sydney (my original home). I now have a regional role in a field completely different from what I started my career in and this is all down to the development opportunities I have been offered.
    My manager is supportive in terms of flexibile work arrangements and I currently have the option to vary my start and finish times, work from home and compress my work week when neccessary.

Cons

As it is a global company, and as I work on global initiatives, there can be days with long hours, especially when dealing with global conference calls. Unfortunately the Asia time zone always seems to come out worst! Mindsets can be very Boston-centric at times with many initiatives having a strong US bias. Turnover can be a bit of a struggle in Asia, having a knock on effect - the worse it gets, the harder it is for other staff members to keep on top of things, leading to more turnover. That said, it does create opportunities for others who want to move upwards.

Spend more time being visual to employees. Let them see you walking the floor every now and then.

A great internship experience for a college student.

Former Employee - Intern - Hourly in Boston, MA (US)
    Former Employee - Intern - Hourly in Boston, MA (US)

I worked at State Street as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Engaging environment that promoted learning and growth. Interns were given the same responsibility that other associates and analysts were given.

Cons

The work often became routine, so much so that it could get boring. Always good to keep asking for new work or trying different business groups.

Good experience and relaxed environment.

Current Employee - Manual Pricing Specialist in North Quincy, MA (US)
    Current Employee - Manual Pricing Specialist in North Quincy, MA (US)

I have been working at State Street as an intern (more than an year)

Pros

Good part time pay and understanding coworkers.

Cons

Not best pay in field.

Keep talent inside the company with higher wages.

Good place. Mgt not caring

I worked at State Street

Pros

Nice coworkers. Interesting work available.

Cons

Challenging management. Rank and file looked at as
    Fungible.

It was a good experience

Current Employee - Senior Associate in Sacramento, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Associate in Sacramento, CA (US)

I have been working at State Street full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good Experience to a professional environment. Work life balance is getting a bigger push.

Cons

Starting compensation is lacking. Company is lacking perks such as stock purchase program.

Intern in operations.

I worked at State Street

Pros

The experience was pleasant, I was in a bit of not-knowing if I would have been offered a full-time opportunity or not. The staff is very nice and I was situated in the main branch of State Street which is on Lincoln street. I ended up opting out for another opportunity that came my way.

Cons

I don't have any feedback to give in terms of my intern experience. I just wish that they were more up-front about whether I was considered for a full-time placement. Overall, the experience was a good learning experience and the department was going through some down-sizing at the time as well.