www.statestreet.com

2.7
1,356 Reviews

State Street President and CEO Joseph (Jay) L. Hooley
Joseph (Jay) L. Hooley

Pros
  • Good work life balance with potential to work from home or create a flexible schedule (in 128 reviews)

• Many employees can work from home a few days a week if their responsibilities allow them to (in 62 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/Life balance is one of their "core tenets" but they don't practice what they preach (in 39 reviews)

• long hours, too much operational work, not so many bright people that can inspire you (in 55 reviews)

More Highlights

Mixed

Current Employee - Senior Associate in Quincy, MA (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Associate in Quincy, MA (US)

I have been working at State Street full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The benefits are great and coworkers are wonderful. Hard work will pay off but you need to be patient.

Cons

Pay could be better, work life balance is not quite what it could be with little chance that this will change any time soon.

Decreased focus on initial training classes and lack of job rotation narrows the capabilities of junior employees. This may save money in the short term but could have longer term impacts if the added stress on senior employees leads to increased turnover. There is a lot of talent present but if not properly cultivated is just wasted potential.

intern

I worked at State Street

Pros

Relaxed and friendly work environment

Cons

Salary could be higher for entry level

Meh...

I have been working at State Street full-time

Pros

Job security had historiclly been good

Cons

Mgmt has no interest in work/life balance

stop trying to get blood from a stone

Great company atmosphere

I have been working at State Street full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Sense of community. Great company morale. Good opportunities for advancement if willing to put in the time.

Cons

Not paid near what was deserved.

Starting salaries needs increased.

Great Entry-Level Job

Current Employee - Functional Specialist in Boston, MA (US)
    Current Employee - Functional Specialist in Boston, MA (US)

I have been working at State Street full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Grasping all the job responsibilities in one week is doable by taking notes and asking questions. Every day the job is pretty much the same, so you would naturally get faster and faster at it. Lots of interesting web-based and classroom classes for free, so if there is a subject that you need to brush up on - they're perfect! The view of Boston and the harbor is breathtaking. Co-workers are extremely nice and friendly. I am looking forward to spending as many years as I can at this company.

Cons

When running into a few software issues, the IT help desk could take a really long time to solve your issue.

Lots of Opportunity

I have been working at State Street full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Can move up easily, lots of opportunities, can move departments easily. Lots of nice, helpful people with a team oriented environment.

Cons

Work life balance is an increasing challenge. Less people to get the job done in an ever increasing environment.

Decent for an entry level job

Current Employee - Pricing Specialist in Sacramento, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Pricing Specialist in Sacramento, CA (US)

I have been working at State Street full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Benefits are on par with other Fortune 500 companies.

Job security is pretty good for any of the Global Services roles. This is also a con though because it cultivates employees who don't care sometimes.

I've enjoyed the people that I worked with. This is highly dependent on the group, but my interactions with everyone were positive 95% of the time.

I've worked in two different groups at State Street in different locations and had a very good manager in each.

Work life balance depends on your group. You find out very quickly if you're working 10-12 hours a day or if you are out on the dot after putting in 8 hours. Generally from what I've seen you can make the decision, but that also depends on if your manager is willing to vouch for you/let you move.

Cons

Biggest con is compensation. It starts low and the advancement is fairly slow (yet also group dependent). Raises at the associate level were in the 10-15% range from what I saw, which isn't much when your base is in the 30s. Bonuses are in the 3-5% range depending on your review. The compensation is about 20-30% lower than other comparable companies in the same geographic area.

The morale is terrible. The stem of the problem from talking to people (and what I say to others) is that the company just doesn't value it's employees.

The nature of the work varies, but 90% of it is data entry and troubleshooting the ancient processes/hardware. It's pretty much an assembly line.

The road to becoming a manager is not well thought out. I know of multiple people trying to not get promoted from senior associate to officer because it's essentially a decrease in pay for the same hours (this is the case for a large number of people; you move from hourly to salaried). I'd recommend putting some sort of equity program together once you hit the officer level to add an incentive for getting to the management level.

I understand this isn't a job that doesn't require an extensive skill set, but at least show some sort of care for employees. Bonuses are a joke, salaries are low and people are always looking to leave. Everyone sees this and this adds to the low morale.

Nice people but not very challenging

Current Employee - Officer
    Current Employee - Officer

I have been working at State Street full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Companies official working language is English which allows you to live in Germany but work in English. Nice atmosphere and people, hardly any long hours unless one wants.

Cons

Job not challenging enough, people act as civil servants. Very disorganized, duplication of efforts country to country.

Great place to gain market knowledge!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Luxembourg (Luxembourg)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Luxembourg (Luxembourg)

I have been working at State Street full-time (less than an year)

Pros

There is always some kind of training going on, so you can gain as much training as you want if your manager allows. Compared with some other companies the benefit package is good and working life balance is some how reasonable.

Cons

No promotion, lack of team spirit,low salary and poor mid management.

Step up or step down. Put some young professional in mid managhement .

State Street

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA (US)

I worked at State Street full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Most departments offer flex work schedules for a work/life balance for it's employees. They are very volunteer focused to give back to communities.

Cons

Leadership lacks employee focus and growth and is more concerned with bottom line and return on stock holders earnings per share.

Compensation to lower employees were below market average.