State Street

Updated Jul 28, 2014

2.7 1,221 reviews

State Street President and CEO Joseph (Jay) L. Hooley

Joseph (Jay) L. Hooley

Pros
  • Company has good benefits and is looking to improve work/life balance for employees (in 120 reviews)

• Many employees can work from home a few days a week if their responsibilities allow them to (in 55 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/Life balance is one of their "core tenets" but they don't practice what they preach (in 36 reviews)

• long hours, too much operational work, not so many bright people that can inspire you (in 47 reviews)

More Highlights
1,221 Employee Reviews

Not a very good outlook for future management

Accounting and Pricing Analyst, Senior Associate (Current Employee)

ProsGreat people and relaxed work atmosphere. It is probably a good place to start your career but not a good place to stay.

ConsThey have moved to segmented business model where it is hard to understand the purpose of your job. This will lead to poor unknowledgeable management in the future. It also seems like they are trying to move as much work as they can to india. In the future they are going to have to find managers from other companies in order to have people that know what they are doing.

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter training so employees will understand the big picture!

Financial Reporting

Fund Administration Director (Current Employee) Boston, MA (US)

ProsPretty good at getting out in front of new regulation and rallying the troops to come up with a solution/recommendation for clients in a timely manner.

ConsThe department seems to be in a state of constant flux with no clearly defined direction for the future. It seems they are going to take the "do more with less" stance to extreme measures.

Business Continuity Analyst

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsFast paced, innovative and conscientious about business continuity

Consno much - long hours on occasion

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Overworked and Underpaid

ProsEasy to get hired, good chance for mobility, 3 weeks of vacation time, plenty of chances to work overtime

Consrepetitive work, extremely low salaries and pay bumps, too many managers on different pages

Good Experience, Lots of Hours

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Kansas City, MO (US)

ProsGreat industry experience, pay is competitive once you reach management. Good benefits package.

ConsOnce you reach management, you work a lot of hours, 10+ hrs a day + weekends.

Advice to Senior ManagementCan't always do more with less, invest in staff.

Team is important

Business Analyst (Current Employee)

Prosgood work/life balance and ability to work from home some days

ConsTeam team you end up with is really important. My manager is a yeller and colleagues have no common sense or respect for personal belongs or boundaries. I can be busy without a breather all day with the girl next cube over just sleeping at her desk.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop hiring IT folks who may have high education and experience but act like they are still living in the slumps.

Overall it's a good first job out of college.

Manager (Former Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

ProsGood youthful spirit because most staff is relatively young.

ConsHigh turnover due to low pay and heavy workload.

Advice to Senior ManagementCompany not doing enough to retain top performers.

Happy with my overall experience at State Street bank.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsState Street believes that if you are hired for a job, you should be able to do the job. They do not micromanage.

ConsIf you did not work in the home city of Boston, growth potential was very limited and they tend to treat you as the ugly step-child.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat all your employees as professionals.

evolving

I T Manager (Current Employee) Quincy, MA (US)

Prosstable company with flex time.

Conswork-life more and more encroaching on personal life as a norm; and not as an exception.

Advice to Senior Managementwork-life balance and personal responsibility need to be core values.

Major bottleneck at VP level; low expectation of promotion to VP.

Assistant Vice President (Current Employee) Sacramento, CA (US)

ProsThe Sacramento office has a great office culture, a good work/life balance, and solid training. There are a good amount of employee events to create bonds in the office.

ConsPay is very low compared to other jobs in the same industry. It's even lower than state jobs. Many employees leave the company to work for the state.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay higher wages

Worked for State Street? Contribute to the Community!