StoneMor Reviews

Updated 11 April 2015
70 reviews filtered by
2.8
Lawrence Miller

Pros
  • Helping people at the time of a death is very rewarding (in 6 reviews)

• It was nice to be able to help families with some of the most difficult decisions they will ever make in life (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Always "under budget" so upper management never satisfied (in 7 reviews)

• always more than 40 hours, BUT that is what I signed up for (in 4 reviews)

Sales Manager

I have been working at StoneMor

Pros

Helping families on the loss of a loved one and to help the ones that want to invest on a pre need cemetery property. Helping the sales team to achieve their goals, and location goals. Great benefits, the sales counselor have good commissions and bonuses.

Cons

The communication between departments, the division of the administration, maintenance and sales, need to focus on whats the main purpose of the business that is sales. Administration personal need to be pro sales and help the sales team instead of making everything hard to the sales counselor. Locations that cannot hit more of 25k on a week, a weekly bonus option would be great. Staff need more training, locations need more maintenance staff and the communication need to be a priority issue to this company.

Advice to Management

Move the administration department to be a more team player one. Finish with the 3 departments division as a priority. Need to invest on computers to the locations and some adds to update their old selling techniques. There are to many other companies offering the same, so we got to update some skills to survive. More incentive to sales managers to keep them with their tank fueled, and they can keep running more longer. Opportunity to save counselors that really makes a great job. And not kill them each trimester.

I love working for this company as there's endless opportunities and the gratification of helping families.

Current Employee - Family Service Counselor Supervisor in Lafayette, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Family Service Counselor Supervisor in Lafayette, CA (US)

I have been working at StoneMor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There's a lot pros working for this company, such as the people are really supportive, the park I work at is really beautiful, very close to home avoiding traffic, helping families is very rewarding, educating families to protect their love ones is inspiring, and the compensation plan is fantastic in making a difference for my family.

Cons

Some of the cons working for StoneMor are the processes, such as we are still using files systems to manage accounts, there's no technology system in place (reporting, finance, account management, pipeline, leads), there's no automation available for all the paper work needed, training is not in an orderly fashion, and there's a disconnect with all departments working together as one organization (Sales, Administration, Funeral).

Advice to Management

My advise to management are the following:
    - New hired employees should have a training schedule in place from the beginning
    - To assist management with better reporting and employees to managed accounts and leads, a CRM system will need to be implemented.
    - I recommend activating a customer service department to alleviate family complaints and issues, this will allow the sales team to concentrate directly with sales.
    - Create a program that will allow each location to develop channel partnership with industry companies.
    - Geo-targeted marketing campaigns
    - Design a brand awareness that will bring all locations as one brand.
    - Have an HR personnel in each location that's familiar with the state laws.

3. up and down

I have been working at StoneMor full-time

Pros

Nor being confined to an office

Cons

Depending on customers for income

5. Excellent career opportunities with growing company!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Levittown, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Levittown, PA (US)

I have been working at StoneMor full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Rewarding to be part of greater mission helping others. Opportunities to grow with company as they grow, nice work life balance and support from management.

Cons

Comp/reward structure can be better but other areas make up for that!

6. A 50/50 opinion and review.

Current Employee - Family Service Counselor in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Family Service Counselor in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at StoneMor full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

An excellent opportunity to make a good living with a great wage and bonus package. If you are true to the customers and stay honest you will do very well. If you hustle and pay attention you will have a good chance of staying around. If you can follow directions and keep your telephone humming you will make a six figure income. If you have a good natured heart and can handle working with families during the worst day of their life then you can make a good go of it.

Cons

A very negative atmosphere at times. Peers trying to drag others down because they can not cut it. Misery loves company I guess.

Advice to Management

Spend more time at the unit level and pay attention to the environment. Threats and bullying do not work in a sales environment. These antiquated tactics of that good ol boys/girls club are stone aged. Breed positivity and try and keep your employees happy and maybe you will see a decrease in turn around. The number one RVP should be the one training the sub-par RVPs on how to get the job done successfully.

Humph

Current Employee - Sales Counselor
    Current Employee - Sales Counselor

I have been working at StoneMor (Less than a year)

Pros

Helping Families at their time of need or to pre-plan is very rewarding. When the right family comes in to pre-plan, it can be a big payoff if Admin doesn't kick back your contract.

Cons

Teamwork is not encouraged between departments or peers. Company culture encourage stealing sales/appointments; There is no work/life balance. They require you to fill out a LIFE schedule in advance to determine when you will work. Training is very poor and not real life situations. Management is so focused on turning in the paperwork for the paperwork for the paperwork so you an be micromanaged that they have very little time to help, resulting in mis-information or no information. The attitude is do whatever you have to do to sell, and we will give all of these promotions, but at your expense. In training one of the Senior Mangers stated you should be scheduling appointments during business hours and then seeing those appointments in the evening. You will be chastised for not having enough appointments in a given week and they expect you to make it up on the weekend if you do not, all while seeing 4-6 families for Funeral Service and follow up appointments in any given week. You end up logging 50+ hours to have a decent week and they still want more.

Advice to Management

Minimum wage is ridiculous, especially when family service consumes your time. At least match Walmart with $10/hr.

Love helping people but this company is greedy and there is a huge lack of needed training and communication

Current Employee - Family Service Counselor
    Current Employee - Family Service Counselor

I have been working at StoneMor

Pros

I enjoy working for families, helping them with prearrangements and arrangements at the time of need. Great pay but you have to work hard to get it. Nice benefits but they don't have a good vision plan

Cons

Lack of communication. Changes are made without notice and they're not changes for the better. Very unorganized. The training is horrible found out we were writing contracts incorrectly and I've been here for a year. Hours are ridiculous. Of course hard work does pay off but this job leaves no time for you and your family. No work life balance. Forget 40 hours more like 53 a week. You never hear encouraging words from management even when you are successfully doing your job. No pats on the back just negativity. Great job but hard people to work for.

Advice to Management

Train your employees for a week in a hotel teach them the necessities. Cemetery 101 and how to correctly write contracts. Stop being so greedy. Money is the root of all evil. Hire management who are encouraging. One of your managers has a mean look on her face every time we see her. I loathe meeting her and can surely expect a bad attitude and bashing seminar every time she comes around

Completely unprofessional

Former Employee - Family Service Counselor in Wichita, KS (US)
    Former Employee - Family Service Counselor in Wichita, KS (US)

I worked at StoneMor

Pros

You get to help and comfort other's during their greatest time of need.

Cons

Zero training. I was terminated unrightfully in a hallway with no representation. I recently was offered a job again under new management. I moved from Iowa back to Kansas. Spent 3k and when I get here they tell me I'm not eligible for rehire. No call from HR or management. They had over a month to find out I couldn't be re hired or better yet, find out before offering me a job. What should I expect though from a company that kept a drunk woman on staff and a psycho who tormented everyone. DO NOT WORK FOR THIS COMPANY!!!

Advice to Management

I'd like to see if anyone would like to start a class action lawsuit with me. There is enough evidence between all of us that this company should be held liable. From discrimination, wrongful termination, bullying. I want to bring this company down!

Great Company and Experience

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant

I have been working at StoneMor full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good Pay and Benefits, Stability, Encouraging Management and Coworkers

Cons

Communication seems to come from the bottom up, technology is lacking (2003 office is extremely behind the times), Corporate responsibility seems to fall a little short

Advice to Management

Work on upgrading the computers so that the employees can do what's expected of them. Communication should trickle down from the top, ie: corporate -> regional -> area -> location

Worst company I've ever worked for. They still owe me expense money. I watched fraud committed and they didn't care.

I worked at StoneMor

Pros

Nice property and very good ground staff.

Cons

Constant lies by regional manager. Non stop conference calls with total embarrassing comments made to people. Sales managers are constantly being harassed and cursed at. Company run extremely unprofessional. Total good old boys or women's club with favorites and people in charge who have no clue how to sell, just family that's worked for stonemor for years.

Advice to Management

All but one manger I spoke with while working for Stonemor had nothing but bad things to say about the company and their bosses. Every single one wanted to leave and work somewhere else if the opportunity came along. No regard for private beliefs as you are to work 7 days a week and Sunday is pushed as a big day and everyone told to work all day.

StoneMor Photos