StoneMor Reviews

Updated 15 October 2014
Updated 15 October 2014
2.9

Lawrence Miller

Pros
  • Helping people at the time of a death is very rewarding (in 6 reviews)

• It was nice to be able to help families with some of the most difficult decisions they will ever make in life (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Always "under budget" so upper management never satisfied (in 7 reviews)

• always more than 40 hours, BUT that is what I signed up for (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Too many palace intrigues.

Former Employee - Manager in Greensboro, NC (US)
    Former Employee - Manager in Greensboro, NC (US)

I worked at StoneMor full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great opportunity to help customers and earn a strong income.

Cons

The mid-level management style is picky and non-motivational; same old message 2 to 3 times a week for the past. 9 years.

It has been said that a fish stinks from the head down. If the body of the fish isn't swimming then the head isn't functioning. Look at the almost complete turnover of your staff every. 2 to 3 years and ask yourself why you're retaining the same management above the field location level for. 9 years.

Unprofessional, antiquated and abusive

Former Employee - Sales Manager

I worked at StoneMor full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The location employees were good to work with.

Cons

No sales data base or computer for sales managers, defiantly not family service. All paper, phone and fax. Welcome to the 40'S. The top Sales Management (Corporate) has not kept up with sales process and is reminiscent of Glengary Glen Ross (look up on youtube, even the spoofs will give you the idea). The sales commisions are ok but the manditory discount policy is a give away on the highest commissional items (land) so the employee gives half of the sale away. The "used car policy" also gives a cheap impression to families and a slimy feeling for the employee in industry that should have some Dignity. Service to families is made ONLY to get sales and done poorly, there is no corporate training standards on in house expectation and process, that was presented.
    I witnessed mass text to sales managers (all in CAPS) and abusive sales conferences that were personal degradation of managers. To say they had any feeling for their teams or people would not be consistent to their actions.
    I walked away after knowing I could not work for such an unprofessional company.

INVESTIGATE AND TAKE ACTION!!!
    Hire young professionals and give them the freedom to change your company to update to todays business practices.
    OR SELL TO SCI AND MOVE ON.

Horrible company, they do not care about you!

I worked at StoneMor full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Loved helping people. Loved local people I worked with.

Cons

Higher management are jerks. They dont care about families, just sales sales, even if you have to lie to families. I couldnt be a part of that anymore. They also do what they can so you don't get full commissions.

Change your ways, you won't lose so many good employees. Praise your employees instead if belittling them and degrading them.

The worst job experience I have ever had!

Current Employee - Manager In Training in Gadsden, AL (US)
    Current Employee - Manager In Training in Gadsden, AL (US)

I have been working at StoneMor full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The only pro is that you are helping people make difficult decisions about their funeral. I really enjoyed working with the customers.

Cons

From the start there was management concerns, 1st hearing that the manager had been fired and re-hired for sexual harassment. Then I learn that management was condoning 2 sales people who made crooked contracts with customers who were robbed and didn't even know what they had bought. Finally, these 2 people were fired when customers complained to the main office. Then another manager was brought in from a nearby cemetery and brought his girlfriend (his wife, step daughter and in-laws work in our office other than sales). He constantly lied and stole customers and at least half of our commissions and always our volume, and would give a lot extra to his girlfriend who also screwed the customers. The sad management (if you could call him a manager) remained. This greasy, sleezy redneck demanded we work extra hours without pay and all holidays and weekends.
    I was hired as a manager in training and that was a joke. My training for manager didn't exist! I had actual training for 2 full days. I was hired at minimum wage of $7.50 an hour but never saw full pay for 40+ hours, then when it was time for the residual commissions to start, they didn't have a record of my commissions! I was never paid for my last week of work.
    Redneck called me into his office and told me he was moving me to outside sales which is commission only and I said no. Which is what he wanted so he could bring in his best friend the next day to take my desk and place.
    No matter what you did, you could not satisfy them and they changed the rules constantly to suit them. They are liars and thieves and I have never seen so much drama and turmoil in one office! It was constant and ridiculous! Very stressful!!! I was there 3 months, all I could take!

TRAIN managers to motivate sales people in a positive way instead of threats everyday and be consistent with rules! Train your salespeople to serve the customer and not themselves! Promote honesty and integrity!

Good company !! Been here a while with a lot of other long term employees - that says it all!

I have been working at StoneMor (more than 10 years)

Pros

The company is run by industry experts who really care about the employees and our customers. Comprehensive and affordable benefits and allows employees to have a good balance between work and home life.
    Great income opportunity for sales people and fast track career pathing into management too!.

Cons

Communications is a challenge but getting better all the time through technology.

It would be better if the leadership teams have more opportunities to get out to the locations!

A very good company to work for.

I have been working at StoneMor full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

A very caring company. The company has been in the industry for a long time. Have the value to really focus on families that they serve. Opportunities throughout the company for advancement. This is a career and not just a job. Company is very welling to help with relocation. Perfect job for those who are independent

Cons

Maintenance, sales and admin needs to work together and communicate better. Takes a while to get things resolved when issues arises. There is no work-life balance for those that wants to get ahead and do a great job.

Communication is key. Sometimes there are too much on the sales team plate. Need more support

Great Experience So Far

I have been working at StoneMor full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good company to work for. Flexible hours, two casual days a week and great support from other departments. Management works hard and assists as needed with any job functions. The company is growing quickly and there is room for advancement and growth.

Cons

Training could be improved for sure.

Family Advisor.(sales person).

Former Employee - Family Service Counselor (Sales Person) in Portland, OR (US)
    Former Employee - Family Service Counselor (Sales Person) in Portland, OR (US)

I worked at StoneMor full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Most of reviews are from employee's working in the office or HR department, and of course they will never say anything about it.

Cons

The work environment is horrible and hostile, some sales guys will take your appointments, company leads. Some location manager don't cake about families, all they want is the sales... even if the families are having money problems. The funeral side is fine because they don't get commission, even know is not the cheaper place. During my two years working for Stonemor, I saw at least five location manager's and many, many sales guys with good intentions to help families. But sales manager were all bunch of sharks, which comes from area manager's. I am sure there's good people working for Stonemor, but not the one I worked in Oregon.

I won't waste my time giving advice to management. .. they won't change its all about money.

Good company to work for

Former Employee - Groundskeeper in Granger, IN (US)
    Former Employee - Groundskeeper in Granger, IN (US)

I worked at StoneMor full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Received adequate training for the grounds position. The work was fairly structured with good support from the superintendent. I enjoyed the autonomy to perform my duties in a manner that benefited myself and the organization.

Cons

It was hard to change the minds of upper management when an idea for improvement presented itself. Working hands-on and listening to our families, we could have adjusted our policies to better fit the staff and the people we service.

Listen to the ideas of the people who work in the day-to-day sector. Some thoughts are worth pursuing.

Sales Manager

I worked at StoneMor full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

very rewarding job, helping familys.

Cons

I have nothing good to say about the higher management

terrible managers, just want to bully and harrass you. they do whatever they can to not pay you full commission

StoneMor Photos