Stop & Shop

Updated 14 December 2014
2.8

Stop & Shop President & CEO Carl Schlicker
Carl Schlicker

Pros
  • 15 hours minimum for Part-Time employees, 40 regular hours for Full-Time employees (in 31 reviews)

• Flexible hours to work around school or another job (in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • full time workers are transferred when the mangers or higher ups decide (in 27 reviews)

• they don't have hours for the part time workers, they work less then 30 hours a week (in 18 reviews)

More Highlights

Fair company to work for. And possible to move up relatively quickly if you want.

Former Employee - Assistant Customer Service Department Head in Brookline, MA (US)

I worked at Stop & Shop

Pros

Quarterly raises, associates you work with are pleasant and down to earth.

Cons

Training is skimmed over, and is usually where a lot of problems stem from. Employees being improperly trained on how to perform.

Take time to train each and every individual. Incompetence usually starts at the top of this company and trickles down to mid level management and so on to associates.

I'm assigned to greet customer, unload trucks, stock shelve and provide customer care.

Current Employee - Grocery Clerk in Norwalk, CT (US)
    Current Employee - Grocery Clerk in Norwalk, CT (US)

I have been working at Stop & Shop part-time (more than an year)

Pros

The best reason to work at this place is the opportunity it offers to grow professionally while I'm going to school.

Cons

The worst thing which I don't like is that some managers are aware of coworkers who are not willing to work at all and they still tolerate those coworkers.

Hire young individuals who are willing to learn and work.

Quarterly raises

Current Employee - Grocery Clerk in Springfield, MA (US)
    Current Employee - Grocery Clerk in Springfield, MA (US)

I have been working at Stop & Shop part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

benefits for part-timers. vacation and personal days given.

Cons

I don't know what Stop&Shop the person who said that we get quarterly raises works at, but my store gets one raise a year. Start at minimum wage $8.00, and get a 30 cent a year raise. Took 5 years to make $10.00 per hour. For the work I do it is totally pitiful the wage I receive. I do more work in 4 hours then some do in 24 hours. Not fair. No recognition or thanks for doing a good job. Also, when the minimum wage goes, are wage doesn't adjust.

Say thank-you once in a while for doing a good job. Fight for better wages.

The dutch are ruining stop and shop !

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Stop & Shop

Pros

This is a very strong company to work for if you can get full time, kids say thank you to obama thanks obama. Stop and shop is a really good company if you are career driven you can make it there plus having ahold on your resume is a good customer service experience to have

Cons

again thanks to obama they are really cutting hours in all stores by more than 50% of last year stats which is unfair full timers are being drained of moral and punished if not producing what or rather how they want it, it is sad i love this company i really enjoyed working for them and was looking forward to being part of a manager team but they have taken their decision making and creativity from managers and dont want them to think just work .

Strong company but losing the big picture, the customers and their associates this company has invested so much on upper management from of all chains a and p a failing chain,bankruptcy, poor managers. These are the people making changes and decisions cutting hours almost 50% in all depts. And making more paperwork to watch there money you guys seem to want to make your money on cutting hrs and benefits of associates not making money on sales. The more you cut the less time we have to engage with customers you are losing sight of what you set out for years ago moral suffers sales suffer than your looking at - 10% to 18% return across the board

Better than price chopper/shaws

I have been working at Stop & Shop part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Union, paid holidays, paid vacation for part timers as well as full , weekly pay, some good management, friendly co workers, affordable health insurance

Cons

Feel of store varies by location, promotions are based on seniority not skill, full timers are paid less than what is realistic until promoted to high positions

There's not much of a point in this due to the union being involved in most things.

Worked here for 4 1/2 years and still counting.

Current Employee - Clerk/Cashier in East Rutherford, NJ (US)
    Current Employee - Clerk/Cashier in East Rutherford, NJ (US)

I have been working at Stop & Shop part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

For the most part, not that bad. Hours go up and down in volume depending how many hours the department gets. Once you hand in availability, they follow it. So it's good for someone who has other responsibilities. They won't kill you for calling out. It's union, Paid holidays, and time and a half after a year I think (this could of changed due to new union contracts).

Cons

It will never be good enough for Cooperate. They have insane rules like no water on the sales floor, and how they expect us to bag eight items per bag. They expect that one person can do the job of three. Especially at night, you will be understaffed and it's frustrating Management expects every thing to get done. ( they want 2 cashiers from 8-12 to block, do returns and clean while taking customers, rarely ever gets all done).

Stop nitpicking. Let people do their jobs peacefully, and they will for the most part go to bat for you. Insane rules just slow us down.

prep clerk

I have been working at Stop & Shop full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

good benefits good pay nice people

Cons

driving distance, having to be transferred to a store 20 miles from your house mgmt treats you lie a number not a person

transfer people back to their home stores

Floor Manager (ASCDH)

Former Employee - Floor Supervisor in Newport, RI (US)
    Former Employee - Floor Supervisor in Newport, RI (US)

I worked at Stop & Shop part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Positive work environment. For the most part co-workers are motivated and seem like they want to work with you. The marketing in the store is always positive and spreads a nice message. It keeps customers happy which in tern, keeps us as employees happy too.

Cons

It's a union gig. It's also a retail position and you work just about most major holidays. There are some employees that are protected by the union that don't really do their job which makes everyone else have to pick up the slack.

Take time to get to know each employee. Try and hire people who want to be there, there are too many disgruntled people on the floor. Get rid of the union and pay the employees a little more on your own.

Nice coworkers, terrible customers, and miserable managers.

Former Employee - Service Desk Clerk in Abington, MA (US)
    Former Employee - Service Desk Clerk in Abington, MA (US)

I worked at Stop & Shop part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Coworkers
    More than one task per day

Cons

Customers
    Management
    Pay
    Expectations are too high considering the lousy pay

Realize that most workers in their 20 aren't there because they're stupid - they're there because they are in college.

Part-TIme Cashier

Former Employee - Front End Cashier in Ridgewood, NJ (US)
    Former Employee - Front End Cashier in Ridgewood, NJ (US)

I worked at Stop & Shop part-time (less than an year)

Pros

You are given a flexible schedule

Cons

You are given an inadequate compensation for your hard work

Show More Employee Appreciation