Storm8
www.storm8.com Redwood City, CA 150 to 499 Employees

Storm8 Reviews

Updated Dec 19, 2013

Perry Tam

Great place to work, but you won't innovate - ever

Game Designer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Storm8 full-time for more than a year

Pros-Excellent culture. Employees across all disciplines care a great deal about their work and gaming in general, and (almost) everyone in the company is competent. In addition, the workplace is extremely professional and welcoming to men and women alike, which is not guaranteed in the game industry.
-High creative control, to a point. Teams are small, so you will often be THE game designer or engineer working on a feature - or sometimes an entire product. You won't control the project you're working on, but the details of the project are well within your control.
-Results matter, not time spent in the office. There's no need to work X many hours a week if you can get your work done. 40 hour workweeks with occasional crunch days are common throughout the company, although engineers typically work 50+ hours a week. I've worked 16 hour days as well as 2 hour days, depending on what I need to get done.
-Pay is competitive for the Bay Area, and the company is willing to promote frequently (but see Cons below). You're hired for the company - you will not be laid off at the end of your project.

Cons-Storm8 does not believe in taking market risks. All decisions about which projects to create come from the founders and are entirely based upon what games are already successful. You will be told what game you're cloning and that will be that. Nobody will listen to your pitches, so don't bother making any.
-In order to receive a promotion, you must be doing the work of the position you hope to be promoted for. Want to be a lead designer? Then you should expect to manage 3-4 people for 6-9 months before you'll officially be promoted to "lead".

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn how to manage employees! The entire management team of Storm8 has been promoted from within. All of them are experts in their professions and skilled at managing projects, but none of them has any experience managing employees and it shows.

Refreshing to work with a super passionate and talented team

Marketing (Current Employee)

I have been working at Storm8 full-time for more than a year

ProsPeople are super friendly, super smart and very passionate about what they do. Everyday is different. Lots of opportunities to learn and grow. Benefits are great too -- free food, 100% health coverage for dependents, which is amazing. Really great trajectory for the company.

ConsToo many snack options can be a challenge if you want to stay fit! Luckily, we have free gym membership :P

Advice to Senior ManagementStay accessible as we continue our super fast growth!

Great work environment with awesome people

I have been working at Storm8 full-time for more than a year

ProsStorm8 is an awesome place to work. People are always given opportunities to expand their skills and grow with the company. A passion for quality work is balanced with a fun, friendly atmosphere. Even with 200 people, Storm8 has a great sense of community, fostered by communal meals, company outings and parties, and lots of game rooms.

ConsAt the end of the day, Storm8 is focused on profit. This isn't necessarily a bad thing - everyone needs to get paid (and those free catered meals won't pay for themselves). But it can sometimes stifle creativity, and lead to decisions based on the bottom line, not based on making best-in-class products.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore hackathons! More opportunities to develop and nurture original ideas. Small, dedicated teams that come up with original ideas and pitch them to the company every month.

Amazing place to work!

I have been working at Storm8 full-time for less than a year

ProsStorm8 has been one of the best companies I've worked at. The people are extremely friendly and talented with great ideas. The culture is wonderful and it's the only place where I can proudly say where I am happy to come in to work everyday. Another plus? You can bring your dog to work!

ConsCould get competitive and you don't get any type of pay raise unless you get a title bump, which can be difficult with either a bad manager or having a social life.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake more risks when it comes to innovation and originality. Also, managers should strive to be better connected to their team and work more to help their team build upon their ideas instead of just telling them what to do.

Awesome place to work and play~

UI Designer (Current Employee)
Redwood Shores, CA (US)

I have been working at Storm8 full-time for more than a year

ProsEveryone I've worked with has been awesome and good at what they do (a lot of them are now straight-up friends, not work buddies) - either easy to learn from or easy to teach. Catered lunch and dinner, snacks, full benefits and mostly laid-back work environment.

ConsIt's starting to get a bit more corporate with the addition of HR, but that's expected once a company gets as large as we are now. Every so often we have crunch time, but the flexible hours during every other non-crunch time more than make up for it.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the great work! You've bottled awesomeness, somehow.

Excellent!

I have been working at Storm8 full-time

ProsGreat co-workers - super smart and helpful
Free food and nice workspace
Training and mentoring

ConsLots of projects to juggle at once

Engineering at Storm8

Software Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Storm8 full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat learning experience. Went in there without any prior mobile app development experience. After a few time and some projects later you really do learn a lot. A lot of room to grow for a capable and willing engineer. A lot of really brilliant engineers to work with. Everyone is great!

ConsSometimes not much choice on which project and team you end up in.

Advice to Senior Managementannual salary raise would be nice

Great work culture

UI Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Storm8 full-time for more than a year

ProsMy co-workers from all departments are extremely talented and hard-working, which equals great products.

Founders pushing for best-in-class products makes me proud to work here, because that aligns with my own goals.

Strong technical leadership who also understand product.

Freedom to make meaningful product and engineering-related decisions.

Company is taking more risks this year than last year.

Great work-life balance.

Little to no politics compared to other companies, and no dividers. People are genuinely friendly.

ConsSome employees have complained about the commute.

Advice to Senior ManagementAs the company grows in headcount, keep an eye out for politics and shut it down ASAP.

Amazing Place to Work

Game Designer (Current Employee)
San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Storm8 full-time for less than a year

Pros-Awesome people and culture.
-Fantastic benefits.
-Free food (we're not talking candy bars and cokes, but full catered lunches and dinners, multiple fully stocked kitchens, and fresh fruit delivered daily).
-Fast-paced work environment, but not too fast that its a constant stress.
-Fun and exciting projects.
-Easy commute to and from San Francisco
-Competitive salaries.
-So much room to grow.
-Amazingly bright future.
-Tons of top-tier talent (and open to new talent).
-Passionate founders and CEO.
-Storm8 truly believes work and fun can be the same thing.

Cons-Some games don't allow for much risk, working with whats been proven instead of innovating new projects.

Advice to Senior ManagementWe could take more risks.

Great! Hooray!

Product Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Storm8 full-time for less than a year

ProsExcellent company culture with hardworking, talented, bright and respectful teammates
People are genuinely nice
Action-oriented work; little fluff
Little to no politics or bureaucracy
Reasonably fast-paced environment
Flexible hours
Usual gaming company full benefits and perks (meals, snacks, gyms, office toys)

ConsSo-so commute from SF
No major surprises for a maturing start-up

Advice to Senior ManagementAlways keep an eye on the health and happiness of your employees at all levels

Worked for Storm8? Contribute to the Community!

Storm8 Videos

Storm8 – Why Work for Us?

Storm8, Inc. is the leading developer of social games for iPhone and Android Founded in 2009, Storm8, Inc. is the leading mobile social gaming network, developer and publisher for iOS and Android. With more than… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Storm8 reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Storm8 CEO Perry Tam. All 21 reviews are posted anonymously by Storm8 employees.