Strata Decision Technology

Strata Decision Technology CEO Dan Michelson

Dan Michelson

23 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Opportunity and Challenges

Software Developer (Former Employee)

I worked at Strata Decision Technology full-time for more than a year

ProsOpportunity to grow into different roles
Smart hard-working coworkers
The company is poised to make some major progress if they can iron out some kinks

ConsPay was adequate but getting tighter under new owners
Personal relationships trumped work quality for many teams
Changes happening probably slower than they should
Poor work-life balance in consulting positions

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep it up with the recent changes, I think Strata is becoming a better place to work

Awful

Consultant (Current Employee)
Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at Strata Decision Technology full-time for more than a year

ProsThere are really no PROs to working here that you can't get working anywhere else.

ConsBad Company overall, staff very junior and inexperienced
Office Politics

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't put fake posts up pretending you are an employee working there just to pretend that everyone loves the company. It is very obvious when you do.

Energetic, devoted, and hard-working employees make it a great place to work

Chicago, IL (US)

ProsVery strong sense of camaradarie
Flexible work hours and work-from-home options
One day off per year to do volunteer work
"StrataCares" program encourages donations of time, energy and money to charitable causes
Diverse workforce

ConsCould do better at providing opportunities for formal training

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you're doing

Great place to be - growth opportunities are endless if you seek them out!"

Chicago, IL (US)

ProsI have had a great experience with the company thus far. I really value the openness of the company and the fact that I have direct access to management and exec level staff at all times. I have great relationships with staff at all levels, which is something to be desired in a company. The company is very transparent and is not afraid to share with the staff the direction, goals, vision, and roadblocks of the company.
The company possesses a very strong team-oriented environment, which helps an employee feel as though they are a valued member of the group and one can see their contributions at play.
The age of the employees is relatively young, but there is room for advancement and quick career progression if that is what the employee is seeking. I, personally, value the fact that I am heard by my managers and exec staff and they take my ideas/concerns seriously. They also take my ideas and desires for my career path seriously and help me work toward my goals.
The CEO has a contagious pride for the company and products, which keeps the employees engaged with the company and atune with the shared vision.

ConsIt can be a bit overwhelming at times when a lot of work needs to be completed - which is how it is at most companies. But, your colleagues and management are always available to step in and lend an assist when need be.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep the transparency of the company for employees; it really helps us see what is going on with the company and allows us to feel we are on the same team. This has been great.

High Turnover

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Strata Decision Technology full-time for less than a year

ProsFlexiblity with schedule as there isn't really any management, overview.
Young, fun co-workers.

ConsThere is absolutely zero leadership, organization, job growth, empowerment here. A lot of the employees stay here because 1) they are foreign and Strata pays for them to continue to have their work visa after they graduate from college, not a lot of employers do this 2) it is their first job out of college and they don't know any better.

There is a lot of gossip and office drama here as well. I saw massive turnover in the very short time I was here. Do yourself a favor and walk away from this mess.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a step back and figure out some team organization and look closer at the employee-employee relationships as there are many people in there that need to be let go.

Flag Review

Strata Decision Technology Director responded to this review

Mar 22, 2013

As an employee who has been with the company for 9 years, I can say that the comments made in this post are are not a true relection of where the company is today. Employee turnover is at an all ... More

Great opportunity and continuous learning experience

I have been working at Strata Decision Technology full-time

ProsNice working environment and great team work. There are a lot of new stuffs going on in the company and employees are continuous learning during the process. You will find great challenge some time but it's not that stressful, which is the perfect part I like!

ConsSometimes it would be hard to find which things you need to focus on, since the company is growing so fast, but eventually you will get there and I think it's just a matter of time and experience.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt's great to see company is moving forward rapidly and hope we can keep it up!

Great Company that is Helping to Change Healthcare

Vice President (Current Employee)
Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at Strata Decision Technology full-time for more than 8 years

ProsStrata Decision is a really cool company that is focused on changing the healthcare delivery system in it's own way - through better planning, cost assessment and financial analytics. The ultimate goal for clients is to give them software solutions that support their mission of providing high quality care in a cost effective manner. The team (from engineers to implementation consultants to quality assurance) is completely dedicated to that mission.

I would describe the culture of the company in 3 words: 1. Passionate 2. Innovative 3. Smart. People with these characteristics end up really exceling in the environment. At all levels, the team is very tight knit. There are regular "all hands" meetings that bring the company together so there is alignment. Also, over the last 90 days there has been a major focus placed on staff development through formal programs. All team members are involved in the sessions to keep advancing their skill sets and their careers.

Over the years, the company has done a really nice job of staying ahead of the curve through continued advancement of its products and services. It's a really dynamic place where products and services are really evolving to stay ahead of the needs of hospital CFOs and finance teams.

Strata Decision has great plans for the future and I am excited to be part of the continued evolution.

ConsThe company has a number of really important, valuable initiatives (staff development, client experience, product advancement etc.). Sometimes the number of initiatives can seem overwhelming, because they are important. It is however clear that senior management recognizes that there are many initiatives and are now focused on prioritization.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou are focused on the right things to continue advancing the company - keep that focus.

One of the best decisions I’ve made which has resulted in great learning & growth opportunities

I have been working at Strata Decision Technology full-time

ProsYou are surrounded by some of the most talented and passionate people out there who are always willing to share knowledge and help you grow in your career. The job is challenging (never a boring day) and there are ample opportunities for learning and expanding your skills (whether it be in technology, healthcare, finance, etc). Environment is such that if you see a problem or opportunity for improvement, you can weigh in on the solutions (and in most cases even help implement them). Good career growth opportunities where you can move either vertically or horizontally within the company. And lastly, there are plenty of social & team building activities to give you an opportunity to get to know your co-workers better.

ConsCompany has achieved great success in a relatively short period of time as a result of the great team it has built up. At times, more thought does need to be put in to fully think through implications on staff workload whenever the company is considering new projects or opportunities. The way to hedge against this currently is to keep your manager in the loop when you have too much on your plate. Also, there isn't as much emphasis on process (and adhering to them) as other companies, but I’ve seen a lot more focus on this as the company continues to grow in size. Also, you may be asked to wear a lot of different hats at once, which may make focusing a bit difficult at times.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you are doing. The company is positioned very well to make a huge impact on the healthcare industry at a time when it needs it the most. Also, the extra focus that has been devoted towards developing and growing the entire team will pay off in the long run.

Lots of Growth Opportunity

Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at Strata Decision Technology full-time for less than a year

ProsThe company offers an endless amount of career development opportunity in an open and fun work environment.

ConsSmaller company-but this only means more possibility for hands on experience to add to your knowledge-base/resume/portfolio.

Pretty Much the worst company for which I ever had the displeasure of working

I have been working at Strata Decision Technology

ProsGood for newly graduated to gain experience. However, don't expect to have much of a life other than work.

ConsNo Opportunity for growth
Favoritism
Office Politics
Owner of Company clueless about the dynamics of the organization, and leaves the direction of the employee satisfaction up to a few key managers that also have no clue about work life balance. Also, there have been many instances that lies have been told to employees to do damage control for bad decision making. Basically, the only way to advance is if you live and breathe your job, and have no other social life or family. The reward you get for working hard there, is being laid off when someone else comes along that can work for cheaper.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to criticism. If there are a lot of complaints for your employees about something that they don't like, then there is probably something that needs to be investigated.

Flag Review

Strata Decision Technology Employer Representative responded to this review

Mar 22, 2013

This post is outdated and does not reflect my experience at the company. The CEO that came on board in June 2012 has emphasized a strong focus on employee engagement. In my time at the company, I ... More

Worked for Strata Decision Technology? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Strata Decision Technology reviews and ratings in Chicago, IL — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Strata Decision Technology CEO Dan Michelson. All 23 reviews posted anonymously by Strata Decision Technology employees.