Stryker

Stryker Reviews

Updated Jul 31, 2014

Stryker President & CEO Kevin A. Lobo

Kevin A. Lobo

Pros
  • Great work life balance, You will find great flexibility to work with no micromanagement (in 32 reviews)

• Great benefits, nice coworkers, hr is involved with company events etc (in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • Company is still very behind the times when it comes to work/life balance (in 33 reviews)

• The long hours taking care of account (in 20 reviews)

More Highlights

Excellent company to work for

Financial Analyst (Current Employee)

Pros- Great focus on development and growth
    - Always opportunities to be challenged
    - If you work hard you will be appreciated and rewarded
    - Culture very focused on relationships

Cons- You will not last long unless you work hard and are committed to very high quality work
    - Can be an intense environment to work in

My experience at Stryker Sydney

ProsConveniently placed office near restaurants
    Internal gym
    Clean offices

ConsSydney office is a boys club unfortunately where 'anything but' is often excluded. Unfortunately also heard many derogatory comments about others based on who they are - very unprofessional.
    Heard manager tell another staff member publicly that 'you dont fit in here at Stryker'
    Success often depends on how good you are on the football field...just ridiculous.
    Training is poor and my manager would take credit for others work and not waste any time apportioning blame.
    Behaviour is frequently unprofessional.
    A lot of favouratism is shown towards the people with the biggest biceps.
    Turnover is extremely high with extremely poor morale.
    Quite common to see people not work out because of poor guidance and communication - also a culture that allows managers to blame their new starters for 'not being right for Stryker when in fact the manager isnt doing the right thing.
    Unfortunately had something said by my manager (will not share as it is personal and will identify me) which was the most unprofessional - and insulting thing I have ever heard.

Advice to Senior ManagementMy team has extremely poor morale - rather than band aid solutions you should consider what is causing this from a human resources perspective and stop showing favouratism to people who are trouble makers - there is so much unhappiness because some people are getting away with very unprofessional behaviour that is not appropriate to a modern workforce. Remember that trouble makers cost you a lot of money and that poor reputation in local market follows.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Seniors need to go

Some great people

Conswork in silo
    Hardly any communication
    No career progression plan
    Senior management do not care about their employees
    Gentlemen club

Advice to Senior ManagementGallup need to go
    some leadership people been there too long and get all glory of others work. Company do not encourage internal promotion.
    Too much favourtism

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Amazing Internship Experience

Finance Intern (Current Employee) San Jose, CA (US)

ProsFast paced environment working with extremely talented professionals. Interns are given projects that have a substantial impact on the business and are able to work autonomously with support from managers and coworkers when needed. Great work life balance as Stryker employees like to work hard and play hard. Amazing opportunities to meet with upper management including the president of a division as well as Kevin Lobo. Everything is very results driven and relationship based, which I see as a great balance. Overall a great company that cares about its employees.

ConsThe internship experience has been amazing so its hard to find any cons as an Intern.

Fun place to work.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Jose, CA (US)

ProsThe idea here is that you work with your best friends which makes coming to work fun. For the most part this is true. The environment is fast pace and embodies the "work hard, play hard" mentality. Many people are active and there are monetary incentives to stay fit and active. They also allow you to work from home for various reasons. Furthermore, the pay scale is based on performance which keeps out the stale non-working tenure employees out.

ConsThis is an extremely difficult company to get in to since they screen for certain personalities. What may be a con for some is that you don't get automatic raises just because you have worked for so many years. Positions and raises are based on performance only so don't expect to fly under the radar and still do well.

All-around great company with amazing culture and positive values

Strategic Planning & Business Development (Current Employee) Fremont, CA (US)

ProsI absolutely loved my summer working for the Stryker Neurovascular division. The company is full of employees that truly care about making a difference in people's lives through cutting edge medical technology. They bolster amazing benefits, even for interns, such as covering their entire summer's housing expenses as well as rounding out the work experience with offsites to experience the Bay Area and learn more about the global mindset of the company.

ConsOne of the major challenges with working here is that Fremont, CA doesn't have too much going on. However, just make every effort to get out and explore the Bay Area and you will be fine.

Advice to Senior ManagementI hope the management will focus on bringing in a younger generation of employees. Neurovascular's employees are considerably more traditional and there isn't too much of a youthful 'vibe' throughout the office, as compared with some other Stryker divisions.

Internship at Stryker

Intern (Current Employee) Fremont, CA (US)

ProsThe products and market segment serviced are very interesting, with division Presidents that are extremely passionate about their products and people. All employees are very intelligent and are able to fully grasp new concepts and ideas if they are conveyed in a reasonable manner.

ConsThere are a large amount of employees that have worked here for either 2-3 years or 15+ years, there is no real middle area.

Advice to Senior ManagementAllow employees the opportunity to be cross trained in multiple areas, a job rotation program.

Best Company for Interns

Engineering Co-Op (Current Employee) San Jose, CA (US)

ProsThe interns are valued so highly at Stryker. They are given real, meaningful projects that make an impact on their division and the company as a whole. They are always encouraged and their opinions valued by the full time employees. They are given the opportunity to meet with people in upper management including a video chat with the CEO, Kevin Lobo. It is such an amazing opportunity to work with people who are so invested in your success. A personal manager and mentor work so hard for ever intern to keep them engaged, working hard, and learning. The culture at Stryker is also wonderful. It is a "work hard, play hard" attitude at most divisions. Personally, I don't know a single intern who doesn't love their job at Stryker, and after hearing from friends at other companies, this by far seems like the best internship.

ConsIt is a challenging position to get as the interview process is one of the most extensive of any company. The largest one is that the pay is decent, but not at the high end, particularly for full time engineering positions. As an intern though, the pay is competitive and a few divisions include housing. Also, I have heard experiences vary between the divisions, but in general, I have no big complaints.

Advice to Senior ManagementThank you for valuing the interns. It makes a big difference, and I hope you continue to hire so many of us.

Great summer internship at a great company

Global Quality Engineering (Current Employee) Phoenix, AZ (US)

ProsWell known and respected company. Awesome culture with young, energetic, highly motivated individuals. People are more than willing to help you out. They really embrace the work hard, play hard mentality when it comes to work-life balance. Great internship program where I was given a project and the autonomy to take full responsibility for seeing the project through.

ConsThe interview process is very lengthy.

Awesome

Prosone word... Culture! It's amazing to work for an organization that truly cares about its people!

ConsLocation. Kalamazoo is just not a 'happening' place to be

Worked for Stryker? Contribute to the Community!