Stryker

Stryker Reviews

Updated Apr 14, 2014

Stryker President & CEO Kevin A. Lobo

Kevin A. Lobo

Pros:
  • "work life balance makes people feel full enough to crave for more"
    in 15 reviews
  • "Excellent culture, great people to work with, many opportunities to grow"
    in 15 reviews
Cons:
  • "Work life balance must be sacrificed in order to meet deadlines"
    in 24 reviews
  • "Sometimes long hours which results in unbalanced work-life"
    in 19 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Excellent company to work for

Financial Analyst (Current Employee)

I have been working at Stryker full-time for less than a year

Pros- Great focus on development and growth
- Always opportunities to be challenged
- If you work hard you will be appreciated and rewarded
- Culture very focused on relationships

Cons- You will not last long unless you work hard and are committed to very high quality work
- Can be an intense environment to work in

My experience at Stryker Sydney

I have been working at Stryker full-time

ProsConveniently placed office near restaurants
Internal gym
Clean offices

ConsSydney office is a boys club unfortunately where 'anything but' is often excluded. Unfortunately also heard many derogatory comments about others based on who they are - very unprofessional.
Heard manager tell another staff member publicly that 'you dont fit in here at Stryker'
Success often depends on how good you are on the football field...just ridiculous.
Training is poor and my manager would take credit for others work and not waste any time apportioning blame.
Behaviour is frequently unprofessional.
A lot of favouratism is shown towards the people with the biggest biceps.
Turnover is extremely high with extremely poor morale.
Quite common to see people not work out because of poor guidance and communication - also a culture that allows managers to blame their new starters for 'not being right for Stryker when in fact the manager isnt doing the right thing.
Unfortunately had something said by my manager (will not share as it is personal and will identify me) which was the most unprofessional - and insulting thing I have ever heard.

Advice to Senior ManagementMy team has extremely poor morale - rather than band aid solutions you should consider what is causing this from a human resources perspective and stop showing favouratism to people who are trouble makers - there is so much unhappiness because some people are getting away with very unprofessional behaviour that is not appropriate to a modern workforce. Remember that trouble makers cost you a lot of money and that poor reputation in local market follows.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Seniors need to go

Some great people

Conswork in silo
Hardly any communication
No career progression plan
Senior management do not care about their employees
Gentlemen club

Advice to Senior ManagementGallup need to go
some leadership people been there too long and get all glory of others work. Company do not encourage internal promotion.
Too much favourtism

Competitive, driven, results oriented company that strives for excellence in everything they do

Human Resources (Current Employee)
Kalamazoo, MI (US)

I have been working at Stryker full-time for more than 3 years

ProsLove this company; great leader in Kevin Lobo; going to new heights under his leadership; strong product portfolio. Company has always pushed me to exceed my comfort zone and allows for autonomy in my job. Strong management that allows for indiividuality and self driven personalities. Good earning potential.

ConsSometimes we think too straight and narrow and don't allow for all possibilities to be considered.

Advice to Senior ManagementGreat leader in Kevin Lobo; strong benefits, ability to be promoted is strong; internal mobility program is great

Stryker is an exceptional growth company that provides strong opportunities for its employees and great products.

Design Engineer (Current Employee)
Kalamazoo, MI (US)

I have been working at Stryker full-time for more than a year

ProsThe people at Stryker are all energized to work for the company. Although the workload is substantial, it is much more fun to work in this collaborative environment than at some of my previous companies. It is also refreshing that you are able to count on your peers to complete tasks and drive work on time.

ConsThe interviewing process is a bit over the top. In total, it took several weeks and 6 interviews (not number of people I interviewed with, I am talking total sessions!) for me to get my formal offer. Compensation packages are average, but the stability of the company is a huge plus!

Great company to work for

Trauma Sales Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Stryker full-time for more than 3 years

Pros-Culture, everyone in the company has the same DNA....driven to succeed
-Provides more selling resources than all competitors
-Rewards talent, large corporation.....many options for upward mobility
-Strategic acquisitions, continuing to invest in product development while competitors survey the field

Cons-Large corporation, does not move as quickly as smaller players

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to reward top talent

Great Place to Work!

I have been working at Stryker full-time

ProsFrom the moment I walked into Stryker, I knew I had found my home. The team I interact with works incredibly hard, shares the same values and has fun while they're at it. There are unlimited opportunities for training and professional development, and if training isn't enough, there is always someone willing to provide insight to help you grow and develop. If you love to work hard, own your own development and want to be a part of an excellent team, this is the place for you!

ConsIf you like your day-to-day activities spelled out for you, this may not be the best fit. You have the autonomy to execute your tasks in a way that makes sense for you, without being micromanaged. It's up to you to create a balance that allows you to succeed professionally and personally.

Lucky to work for such a great company!

Hamilton, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Stryker full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe people here are amazing, and we are all part of a common cause! I feel valued every day, my manager gives me meaningful work to make sure I am engaged, and gives autonomy or guidance when needed. I get to come to work every day with people who are equally as passionate, performance oriented, and driven. I've worked for 3 different teams in my career here so far, and while all unique, they are all equally as focused and dedicated to what they do. It's cliche to say, but it is a work hard/play hard environment that fosters friendships while achieving great things for our customers, both internal and external.

I continue to be impressed with the efforts our leaders make to increase engagement and create accountability around it with the Q12 survey, and other tools throughout the year. Stryker puts development in your court and you need to partner with your manager to figure out your personal development plan - I love this flexibility and openness. You own your career path, and our Global Mobility program has helped even more with sharing talent around the world.

I'm a social person who likes to volunteer, which we get to do through Stryker as well - there are always events and activities, often with a charitable cause, for us to take part in!

ConsMore something to be aware of: Stryker is full of achievers which is what makes it a great place to be, but every person has to find their own definition of work life integration. Make sure you take the time to figure out what works best for you. Every person, manager, and team has a different approach. Depending on your role there will be busy times throughout the year where we have to push through to deliver on the results we promise to our customers, so plan for that, and plan for time with your friends and family :) We all have them and are all human, which my manager recognizes and encourages.

Great Place to work and Great team you are in!

Manager (Current Employee)
Suzhou, Jiangsu (China)

I have been working at Stryker full-time for more than a year

ProsPeople development and Engagement culture are focuses not only for HR but also for leadership team including executive leaders and front line leaders. You always have opportunity to develop or do your best as long as you want!

ConsNot big enough in China yet. We are looking forward to being greater and stronger in China!

Advice to Senior ManagementBranding more in the market!
Continue investing on people!

A Great Place to Be

Sales Manager (Current Employee)
West, TX (US)

I have been working at Stryker full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGreat Co-workers, strong growth initiatives, People! Strong conservative culture.

ConsCross divisional teamwork but getting better

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to be innovative and outward facing toward our customers

Worked for Stryker? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Stryker reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Stryker CEO Kevin A. Lobo. All 404 reviews are posted anonymously by Stryker employees.