Stryker

Updated 30 January 2015
3.9

Stryker President & CEO Kevin A. Lobo
Kevin A. Lobo

Pros
  • High energy environment provides for fun work days and natural work/life balance (in 40 reviews)

• It is a great company to work for if you are a full-time hire (in 26 reviews)

Cons
  • Company is still very behind the times when it comes to work/life balance (in 36 reviews)

• The long hours taking care of account (in 23 reviews)

More Highlights

I love Stryker, the culture is fast paced and progressive, and they are very good at recognising and promoting talent.

Current Employee - Region Manager in Sydney
    Current Employee - Region Manager in Sydney

I have been working at Stryker full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The culture, the products are best in market, the opportunities, the professional development. Working with very talented people.

Cons

It is very fast paced so won't suit everyone, the workload can be high

Great Place to Work and headed in the right direction

Current Employee - Business Services in Sydney
    Current Employee - Business Services in Sydney

I have been working at Stryker full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great culture and strong values. No matter what section of the business you work in, people at Stryker very motivated to achieve. You will be fully supported in making the most of your strengths and will learn a lot. A great place to develop your career.

Cons

Very fast paced environment. Not for slackers.

Keep doing what you are doing and investing in the business to support growth.

Excellent company to work for

Current Employee - Financial Analyst
    Current Employee - Financial Analyst

I have been working at Stryker full-time (less than a year)

Pros

- Great focus on development and growth
    - Always opportunities to be challenged
    - If you work hard you will be appreciated and rewarded
    - Culture very focused on relationships

Cons

- You will not last long unless you work hard and are committed to very high quality work
    - Can be an intense environment to work in

My experience at Stryker Sydney

I have been working at Stryker full-time

Pros

Conveniently placed office near restaurants
    Internal gym
    Clean offices

Cons

Sydney office is a boys club unfortunately where 'anything but' is often excluded. Unfortunately also heard many derogatory comments about others based on who they are - very unprofessional.
    Heard manager tell another staff member publicly that 'you dont fit in here at Stryker'
    Success often depends on how good you are on the football field...just ridiculous.
    Training is poor and my manager would take credit for others work and not waste any time apportioning blame.
    Behaviour is frequently unprofessional.
    A lot of favouratism is shown towards the people with the biggest biceps.
    Turnover is extremely high with extremely poor morale.
    Quite common to see people not work out because of poor guidance and communication - also a culture that allows managers to blame their new starters for 'not being right for Stryker when in fact the manager isnt doing the right thing.
    Unfortunately had something said by my manager (will not share as it is personal and will identify me) which was the most unprofessional - and insulting thing I have ever heard.

My team has extremely poor morale - rather than band aid solutions you should consider what is causing this from a human resources perspective and stop showing favouratism to people who are trouble makers - there is so much unhappiness because some people are getting away with very unprofessional behaviour that is not appropriate to a modern workforce. Remember that trouble makers cost you a lot of money and that poor reputation in local market follows.

Seniors need to go

Current Employee - RAQA in Sydney
    Current Employee - RAQA in Sydney

I have been working at Stryker full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Work Life balance
    Work felxibility
    Hours
    Some great people

Cons

work in silo
    Hardly any communication
    No career progression plan
    Senior management do not care about their employees
    Gentlemen club

Gallup need to go
    some leadership people been there too long and get all glory of others work. Company do not encourage internal promotion.
    Too much favourtism

Top Employees, Great Benefits, Quality Products, But Lousy Management

Current Employee - Manager in Mahwah, NJ (US)
    Current Employee - Manager in Mahwah, NJ (US)

I have been working at Stryker full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

(1) Stryker hires highly motivated and talented employees using their Gallup interview process. The company has a young culture, with many employees in their 20's and 30's. The employees work hard, and always seem willing to help others.

(2) The Mahwah office has a cafeteria offering a full breakfast and lunch, a gym for employees to use, and many department have frequent after-work activities. Salaries are very good, particularly for entry-level positions, everyone starts with three weeks vacation, and its possible to get up to an 11% annual match on 401k contributions.

(3) The company makes good products, and compared to other medical device companies, Stryker doesn't have a lot of regulatory or quality issues. Employees are given a lot of opportunities, and in most departments work/life balance is pretty reasonable.

Cons

(1) Fitting in is very important. I like the atmosphere here, but many people won't. Stryker is a work hard, play hard environment with a lot of people from athletic or fraternity/sorority backgrounds. Employees often eat meals together, go to happy hours after work, and the company encourages workplace friendships. Bluntly speaking, if you don't like that culture, or if you don't like socializing with your coworkers, you will not like working at Stryker.

(2) The upper management creates artificial conflicts and divisions. The company's obsession with internal competition and metrics (i.e., measuring performance) is highly corrosive. Instead of working together, there is often conflicts between departments. Furthermore, the politics of Stryker are much worse than I've seen elsewhere, and minor issues are often blown out of proportion. Despite having top employees, projects and other tasks take just as long here as other companies because of the management.

Stryker could be an outstanding place to work if management practices were improved. Scale back on the internal metrics and instead promote cooperation between departments. Also develop a better process for hiring managers. The current interview process works very well for selecting rank and file employees, but often breaks down when it comes to selecting managers.

Best Place to work

I have been working at Stryker

Pros

I have worked many places in my career and Stryker is by far the best place I have ever worked. I have worked for 5 years and have been promoted to manager in a short time. Stryker is a global company and it is amazing to be able to work together with people with different cultures worldwide.

Cons

No downside to working for this company

A Contract to Hire Success Story

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kalamazoo, MI (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kalamazoo, MI (US)

I have been working at Stryker full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I had more than a year as a consultant to work for Stryker and decide that this is great place. After visiting a number of sites and working with so many bright driven people it was an easy decision to become an employee when the opportunity arose.

Cons

Much of Stryker's growth has come from acquisitions which has resulted in some fragmentation and silos of process which can be frustrating, especially when participating in projects that span multiple Divisions.

In spite of Stryker's global presence, there is a US-centric and Michigan-centric bias in the structure that works against collaboration and efficiency. Some attention should be paid to giving other areas such as EU and Asia their voice and sensitizing the US employees to cultural diversity.

I sold to surgeons, nurses, hospital purchasing and C level with top 5% sales.

Former Employee - Account Manager in Sacramento, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Sacramento, CA (US)

I worked at Stryker full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Challenging position selling in the OR and you either make quota every month or fired.

Cons

Managers had to cover big areas leaving little time to help close business.

Make them adhere to working with Account Managers more frequently.

Great Place to Work

Current Employee - Analyst in Mahwah, NJ (US)
    Current Employee - Analyst in Mahwah, NJ (US)

I have been working at Stryker full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Competitive, A lot of opportunity, A decent amount of after work activities, A lot of driven people with good ideas

Cons

Th lack of IT support sometimes makes it difficult to get certain projects done. The IT infrastructure is in shambles