Sun Microsystems

Sun Microsystems Reviews

Updated Apr 20, 2014

Sun Microsystems CEO (Oracle) Lawrence J. Ellison

Lawrence J. Ellison

Pros:
  • "Flexible working conditions, ability to work from home"
    in 210 reviews
  • "Work life balance, company vision ahead of its time, opportunities to learn and contribute"
    in 114 reviews
Cons:
  • "Inexperienced senior management after Scott McNealy was no longer at the reins"
    in 75 reviews
  • "Upper management didn't know how to monetize"
    in 49 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Great people, great job, poor management

Technical Support Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Sun Microsystems

ProsThe work-life flexibility is great -- as long as the job gets done, no one will be breathing down your neck or checking timesheets to see how late you got in or how early you left. The chance to work with some really brilliant people -- unlike the management hierarchy, even if you are the lowliest pleb, if you are smart and know what you're talking about, the senior technical folks will be willing to share knowledge and discuss issues with you. The opportunity to learn about technology -- lots of neat things happen at Sun, you can always jump into a "virtual team" (in your own time) and contribute and learn lots.

ConsManagement incompetence, a lack of leadership, some technical careers will result in a career plateau -- it is, for example, very difficult to move to the "next level" when you reach the top Tech Support level.

Advice to Senior ManagementExecute well, listen to your employees, focus on customer satisfaction, don't chase the short term dollar but instead focus on building the company up to last through the long term.

Sun, simplify

Solutions Architect (Current Employee)

I have been working at Sun Microsystems

ProsFantastic technology company with great vision. In the past innovation and contrarian thinking has been rewarded and respected. If you have a great idea you almost always have the ability to develop it further. Long term I like to think that we are well positioned in terms of research, development and products.

ConsFar too many overlay structures and reporting lines and complex global model. The appetite and stimulation of internal innovation has declined and there are not a lot of resources available internally. The marketing efforts of the company are not getting traction in the enterprise market. Senior executives are not getting our message and value proposition.

Advice to Senior ManagementSimplify internal structure and processes.

Make your aspirations known upfront

Senior Product Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Sun Microsystems

ProsFocused company with innovative technology, the employees are a great bunch of people who try to help each other.

Consflat structure that does not allow for career advancement. ability to tell the bad news with fear of reprisal. Some managers only hire externally within their own image, and unfairly protect these new folk over and above what is right for the company, Hiring people from backgrounds that are not systems related should be questioned.

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote and hire from within, show real effort to employee growth. Listen more open to employee feedback. Build in job rotations amongst the seniro manamgement team, to ensure a balanced knowledge toward the business. Never assume that employees are happy, stay proactive on the front foot - there is always something that can be fixed.

Sun Microsystems

Sydney

I have been working at Sun Microsystems

ProsSun makes a large variety of interesting technologies. Almost all of their technologies are open source. There are opportunities to get certifications on their technologies. Working at Sun is very good experience for other jobs that use their technology.The management provides support, but they still allow quite a lot of freedom.

ConsThe amount of paperwork required was quite large at the start, but there have been efforts to reduce this burden. Some of the training material is outdated and could have been improved. Orientation was a bit overwhelming at the start, but I quickly got up to speed.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to be more adaptive to local conditions.

QA Director

QA Director (Former Employee)
Santa Clara, CA (US)

I worked at Sun Microsystems full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGreat place to work and I loved working there

ConsCannot think any. I wish they know how to make money

Advice to Senior Managementnone

Awesome

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee)
Broomfield, CO (US)

I worked at Sun Microsystems full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat place to work, very casual

Conspurchased by Oracle, so no longer around

Advice to Senior Managementdon't get purchased, but too late for that

Wonderful technology compay

Pre-Sales Systems Engineer (Former Employee)
Pittsburgh, PA (US)

I worked at Sun Microsystems full-time for more than 8 years

ProsWorked hard, but, had fun doing it.

ConsCost of hardware changed so, scale, and financials needed more attention.

Advice to Senior ManagementAdditional focus on financials

Absolutely was the best place to work

Senior Software Engineer and Architect (Former Employee)
Menlo Park, CA (US)

I worked at Sun Microsystems full-time for more than 10 years

ProsThe people were the #1 reason that made working at Sun for 21 years a fantastic experience. We were all mostly young, smart people at the start and grew together, developing some of the core technology that powers the Internet and other tech.

ConsOracle bought Sun ;-( because Sun senior management didn't know how to run a business.

Advice to Senior ManagementPort-mortem - you should have never allowed Mr. Ponytail to run the business. His brilliant strategy of giving everything away for free in the hopes that one day a customer would want to pay for something didn't make a lot of business sense to many of us.

Great company providing satisfying and challenging work

Program Manager (Former Employee)
Broomfield, CO (US)

I worked at Sun Microsystems full-time for more than a year

ProsWork from home flexibility, great work-life balance, no travel was required, the pay and benefits were excellent, team members were nice to work with, the Broomfield campus was very nice with a cafeteria providing a variety of menu/cuisine options.

ConsDistributed teams in varying time zones made it difficult to get everyone on the phone for a meeting at the same time.

Advice to Senior ManagementDirectors, VPs and other execs needed to co-mingle with the worker bees more than they did. Come down from their ivory tower every so often to see what was really going on in their organization.

Software Sales

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Sun Microsystems

ProsSolid leadership in software

ConsPositioning software in a hardware focused company

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work

Worked for Sun Microsystems? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Sun Microsystems reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Sun Microsystems CEO Lawrence J. Ellison. All 989 reviews are posted anonymously by Sun Microsystems employees.