SunTrust Reviews

Updated 30 September 2014
Updated 30 September 2014
2.8

SunTrust President and CEO William H. (Bill) Rogers Jr.
William H. (Bill) Rogers Jr.

Pros
  • Great Company to work for, understand the importance of work life balance (in 39 reviews)

• Good benefits and working with retail branch employees was nice (in 62 reviews)

Cons
  • upper management had a old south mentality not many other races in management (in 43 reviews)

• Everybody from the branch manager down to the tellers are stressed which creates a negative atmosphere (in 29 reviews)

More Highlights

It got me to where I am now

Former Employee - Client Service Specialist II  in  Ocala, FL (US)
    Former Employee - Client Service Specialist II in Ocala, FL (US)

I worked at SunTrust full-time for less than a year

Pros

Consistent Salary, Benefits, "any monkey could do my job"

Cons

Was told that any monkey could do any of our jobs. Existed in an environment where all of my co-workers were in fear of losing their job. Goals and numbers existed purely for corporate because when it came down to it....the numbers would get fudged at the branch level so that people kept their jobs. Management did not care about your personal life. If you were sick they said work through it if you bothered to come in, if you didn't bother to come in the rest of the staff would have to struggle with short staff, no one was ever called in to cover.

I don't know where to begin. It was a toxic environment and I felt immense relief after leaving there. This is not coming from a person that didn't meet their goals (I met and exceeded mine every month), this is coming from a person that had to exist in a branch where I was the ONLY one with a college education and I wasn't the branch manager (not that I wanted to be), but I would have hoped to work with a team of competent people in a business that handled peoples financial lives.

Branch Manager

Former Employee - Branch Manager  in  Atlanta, GA (US)
    Former Employee - Branch Manager in Atlanta, GA (US)

I worked at SunTrust full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

They have great training programs in place. The trainings still benefit me in my new job. They have a strong brand name.

Cons

They are sales focused to the point of stressing branch personnel. Being short staffed is the order of the day. Even if you short staffed you still need to produce...and that's straining. Management believes it's always right - so you can never make any suggestions. Low paying high stress job

Listen to employees and not selectively listen to those who tell you what you want to hear.

Being A Teller at SunTrust

Current Employee - Teller 1-3
    Current Employee - Teller 1-3

I have been working at SunTrust part-time for more than a year

Pros

To begin with, the starting pay is reasonable(at least for me), as many of you tellers are now sellers, that means meeting your monthly and quarterly goals you'll get a little bonus per quarter...but! Business hours are great and holidays paid.

Cons

Thinking that there is a ladder to climb, you'll dreaming! Instead, because of many personal banker's goals are too high...they are leaving their posts for lesser goaled-positions like teller-css, The company doesn't promote from within so there is NO encouragement to seek promotion and there are people working there for almost 30 years doing the same thing!!! Licensed and non-licensed bankers have the same goal, that is not fair!!!! No raise!

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Training

Former Employee - Personal Banker IV  in  Windermere, FL (US)
    Former Employee - Personal Banker IV in Windermere, FL (US)

I worked at SunTrust full-time for less than a year

Pros

Nice people and great training

Cons

certain locations add additional pressure to perform due to lack of previous production

Give employees the appropriate time needed to grow happy and organically

Wonderful people working hard in a company with rudderless and shortsighted leadership

Former Employee - Operations Executive  in  Atlanta, GA (US)
    Former Employee - Operations Executive in Atlanta, GA (US)

I worked at SunTrust full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Relationship driven culture
    Good people working hard to get jobs done
    Work Life balance excellent

Cons

Short sighted leadership
    Slogans over real strategy
    Actions are not consistent with stated values
    Lack of business maturity in process, execution, metrics, and general business metrics.

Find a strategic path and stick to it longer than 1 year... every year. Understand the difference between a marketing slogan and real strategic vision.

401 K Matching

Current Employee - Teller Lead
    Current Employee - Teller Lead

I have been working at SunTrust full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Growth potential if you know the right people and kiss the right butts!

Cons

They hired people from Wells Fargo and it went downhill....

remarkable

I have been working at SunTrust

Pros

I enjoy learning new things and multi-tasking. I enjoy sun trust environment. It is an laid back atmosphere that anyone will love to work.

Cons

The organizing with how they want the project to run.

Okay company

Former Employee - Teller Lead  in  Chesapeake, VA (US)
    Former Employee - Teller Lead in Chesapeake, VA (US)

I worked at SunTrust full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good Benefits, they have a many location

Cons

No a lot of room for advancement

Good Company

Current Employee - Licensed Personal Banker  in  Atlanta, GA (US)
    Current Employee - Licensed Personal Banker in Atlanta, GA (US)

I have been working at SunTrust full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

good work life balance; Although some branches were understaffed and could not provide weekends off. So you were needed on Saturdays until 1pm.

Cons

staffing was an issue at times;

seek out the better qualified internal candidates before bringing in new talent

They want to do good, but, sometimes need to get out of their own way.

Current Employee - Senior Litigation Paralegal  in  Richmond, VA (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Litigation Paralegal in Richmond, VA (US)

I have been working at SunTrust full-time for more than a year

Pros

Benefits were very good, particularly on bank and bank-related products. There were promotional opportunities, however, management is very particular about who they will consider to move up based on past experiences, current responsibilities, etc. I thought my teammates were great - good family-style dynamics and a desire and willingness to help one another.

Cons

Procedures were often unnecessarily complicated. For those teammates that were unhelpful and/or reluctant to help - they were truly unhelpful and reluctant - almost to the point of it being its own sport. There are a number of micr-managers, which can be truly maddening as they will not see the forrest for the trees.

Cut the bureaucracy and simply procedures. Honestly reward employees who go above and beyond and not throw some token salary increase. Evaluate your employees for their potential and not strictly by algorithm management.

SunTrust Photos

SunTrust Headquarter offices located in Downtown Atlanta (Photo attributed to Organicabq)
SunTrust Building
Suntrust Bank offices in Orlando Florida, located in the Suntrust Center at 200 South Orange Avenue (Photo attributed to Imagempt)
A typical SunTrust bank branch, this one located at 4235 University Drive in Durham, North Carolina. (Photo attributed to Ildar Sagdejev)

+ Add Photo

Worked for SunTrust? Contribute to the Community!