Sunrise Senior Living

Updated 19 August 2014

3.1

Sunrise Senior Living CEO Chris Winkle
Chris Winkle

Pros
  • I met so many wonderful team members that I am honored to have worked with (in 17 reviews)

• Love the residents you are able to transfer (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Occassionally have to work long hours and the additional effort is not always recognised (in 9 reviews)

• Poor management, lack of leadership and poor communication (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

Love this company

Current Employee - Activities Assistant
    Current Employee - Activities Assistant

Pros

Promote from within, rewards employees for outstanding work, supportive of continuing education, good work ethic and team work

Cons

Hours and budget cut can effect resident servces

remember that the needs of residents do not decrease simply because there may be fewer in the building at any given time-

Fantabulous in the healthcare industry

Current Employee - Assisted Living Coordinator  in  Pittsburgh, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Assisted Living Coordinator in Pittsburgh, PA (US)

Pros

Friendliness, professionalism, homelike environment. I would have my family live at Sunrise, and only Sunrise

Cons

Polo shirts and khaki pants as the dress code

Great job!

Care partner assisting the elderly in anything/everything where they are unable to do for themselves.

Current Employee - Care Partner  in  Houston, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Care Partner in Houston, TX (US)

Pros

Air conditioned, food given sometimes for job well done, we can conduct activities with residents, we are sitting down/standing up throughout shift, the decor inside is home like and pleasant, always sweet smelling odors in the air, I like working here...

Cons

Having to work with different age groups/personalities in a close home like setting. Co-workers not doing their tasks or young college workers not taking their job seriously. Too many residents to care for at once (13).

Thank you for hiring me. I really enjoy my job because it is rewarding but the pay is low. We either need more staff members on the floor in order to efficiently care for these residents or we should be given more pay. $10/hour is not enough to give complete care for 13 elderly people. I do it because I'm a single parent with children and have no choice.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Overall a good place to work.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Exton, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Exton, PA (US)

Pros

Residents are great, generally a fun, home-like environment that can be very warm and inviting.

Cons

Management is very cliquey. They preach communication, but fall short themselves. Favoritism is apparent.

Praise your good workers instead of just barely punishing the bad ones. People who work really hard rarely get noticed, just taken advantage of, yet the ones who barely try, seem to be praised any time they do a little bit more than their jobs call for. Coordinators get doted on non stop with gifts and bonuses, but the ones doing all the grunt work get nothing. Try to make all your staff, especially the front line, feel valued.

great place to work in my senior years

Current Employee - Wellness Nurse
    Current Employee - Wellness Nurse

Pros

I love my residents and families, we get to have fun while working. Ability to transfer to other communities if you need to move and maintain company benefits, which are pretty good.

Cons

management not very interested in our voice on a community level only on company wide level. No consistency in following procedure Although training is ok.all training is on Kiosk, people fall asleep, text and don't pay attention , once training is completed team members are expected to "get with it"

listen to your team, show appreciation on daily basis, be consistent as a management team, don't play favorites, follow the great policy and procedures Sunrise has in place for managing/appreciating your team consistently. Frequently coordinators don't know policy, promoted because they were a good care manger and now are their peers supervisor ,not a great idea.

Great company with many great employees!

Pros

Great Residents and a great team. Everyone pulled their weight even when things came up.

Cons

There was clear division in teamwork between units. People felt under appreciated when working with another team.

Promote unity. It'll provide a better work environment.

Strong commitment to uphold the mission and philosophies for both residents, their families and our amazing team members

Current Employee - Executive Director
    Current Employee - Executive Director

Pros

I researched Sunrise Senior Living before my first interview. When I walked in the front door, I knew then that I had found my place! I wanted to work for a company that would put the residents first, and respect the team members who work so hard everyday to accomplish just that - putting residents and their care, first. Our front line team members are the backbone of our community - we could not have the success that we do without their heart and soul. Sunrise truly takes care of their employees - there is opportunity to grow, if you are dedicated and put forth the effort. I have worked in this industry with other leading companies, but Sunrise is the only one who stands true to their mission statement - to "Champion the Quality of Life for Seniors."

Cons

It is a challenge to form such close relationships with our residents and know that we are the last stop in their journey. But that is the positive, making a difference in their day, everyday! Sunrise does a great job in placing the focus on resident care and quality days. It is always hard to say good-bye to our residents.

I hope they continue to embrace training for all team members who join our communities - it helps provide the necessary tools for their success.

Wellness nurse

Current Employee - RN Wellness Nurse  in  Carmel, IN (US)
    Current Employee - RN Wellness Nurse in Carmel, IN (US)

Pros

Love the residents and staff.

Cons

Can be short staffed at times

My experience at Sunrise was positive and life-changing.

Former Employee - Lead Care Manager  in  Gurnee, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Lead Care Manager in Gurnee, IL (US)

Pros

The co-workers are amazing, the residents are fun to be around and it's a very personally rewarding job.

Cons

It's tough work and long hours!

More training for new hires-I had a ton of training and felt like I was a better care manager because of it.

Excellent Staff Care for their Residents

Current Employee - Assisted Living Care Giver/LVN Med Care Manager  in  Yorba Linda, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Assisted Living Care Giver/LVN Med Care Manager in Yorba Linda, CA (US)

Pros

A great place to get your foot in the door. A beautiful community to grow and learn. The staff as well as the residents are the friendliest people ever. Everyone is welcoming and warm and the facility in Yorba Linda is clean and smells like a normal place + cookies! I am overjoyed for the opportunity to be employed by Sunrise in Yorba Linda.

Cons

I have no cons to talk about this facility. Everything is truly excellent and I cannot think of a better place to have started my working experience.

N/A

Worked for Sunrise Senior Living? Contribute to the Community!