Supermedia Reviews

Updated 19 August 2014

2.1

Supermedia CEO Peter J. McDonald
Peter J. McDonald

Pros
  • Benefits are good, commission not bad and my co-workers are great (in 41 reviews)

• Great working conditions, tops in pay and benefits (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • Fighting the perception that the print yellow pages are no longer viable (in 38 reviews)

• Upper management takes care of themselves - no loyalty for those of us who have been loyal (in 18 reviews)

More Highlights

Lacked focus on customer service.

I worked at Supermedia full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

insurance benefits, flexibility with hours

Cons

Lacked leadership and core values

Be honest

Aug 06, 2014Reputation Management Coordinator

Hi, thank you for taking the time to post your review regarding your past employment experience with us. We greatly appreciate the feedback that you've offered. -Ed

Great work environment

Former Employee - Software Developer  in  Tyler, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Tyler, TX (US)

I worked at Supermedia full-time for more than a year

Pros

I worked from home so I didn't have to go into an office very often.

Cons

Nothing really, could use better annual pay increases than 1-2%.

Better annual pay increases than 1-2%.

Jul 21, 2014Reputation Management Coordinator

We appreciate your service as a former employee and also for taking the time out to provide your review. Thank you! Ed

Avoid Supermedia or Dex Media or whatever name they are going by at all costs.

Former Employee - Premise Media Consultant  in  Boston, MA (US)
    Former Employee - Premise Media Consultant in Boston, MA (US)

I worked at Supermedia full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The benefits were OK. The potential for earning money was always there, but the product fulfillment issues, the abusive price hikes and the company's unwillingness to be flexible with clients made it very hard to keep those commissions or the clients.

Cons

Flavor of the week product pushing which would wreck existing client relationships, the constant "I'm not threatening your job, I'm just saying what could likely happen..." sort of management, the micromanaging but at the same time, complete cluelessness about what is going on or what the sales reps are working on. One manager told me they really couldn't see the details of what a rep put in to the CRM software. Great.

Product fulfillment that never happens right, and there's very little way to correct it or make it right for the client. The prices that are so far out of line with the market that it's almost laughable. The company is top-heavy with managers who are left over from when the yellow pages was a desirable and viable product, who are all scrambling to hang on to their jobs by pointing the fingers at the reps...it was akin to blaming the cattle for bleeding on the slaughterhouse floor when clients left angry because of an 8% price increase, or the company not canceling their account and still demanding payment for those extra months, or the annual dance of meeting a new sales rep/media consultant/marketingconsultant/whatever the company thinks is the right name and then hearing about how the product which is not delivering results is actually -- according to this data that the company provides -- working great.

Many of the managers, and most of the trainers I encountered, actually could not sell well at all -- the head of training in my office had no clue about real challenges, and would reply with "just say this..." and recite something that would really just insult the client.

Keep it simple: stick with what works, stop forcing clients into "bundles", keep your existing client base -- which is 80% small and medium sized businesses -- happy by working with them the way they work with all of their clients: we present ourselves as the advertising agency for small businesses, then we should actually be the advertising agency, not just an advertising big-box style warehouse.

Don't make promises and then back out on them, like that Del Vegas horror show sales incentive that was canceled after hyping it to everyone ("we're all going to Vegas for a three day trip! All of us!"...."Pack your bags, 'cause we're going!"..."oh, um...we aren't going, but you people are just the best and we really mean it."

Get rid of your old cronies who are still hanging around from the Verizon and Bell Atlantic days.

Unless you're in front of the client and listening to what that client complains about, don't decide your financial losses are the result of unskilled reps.

You had a team of great reps, who knew the market inside and out, and instead of seeing how to capitalize on that, you simply took the approach of "that's not what our data says..."

And hey, cute online reputation management responses to the reviews. I know, you're glad I enjoyed some of my time at the job. That's nice.

Aug 21, 2014Reputation Management Coordinator

Hi, we're sorry to hear that your overall experience with the company was not satisfactory for you. Be assured that we encourage all feedback, from past and current employees as it's the only way we ... More

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Accept the things you cannot change and have the courage to change the things you can.

Former Employee - Premise Media Consultant
    Former Employee - Premise Media Consultant

I worked at Supermedia full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Once there were many. Now, there are none.

Cons

Take a seat and start taking notes.

Shame on you. You destroyed a once great company. You resisted change when it smacked you in the gut and instead of reacting responsibly, you turned a deaf ear to the sounds of reason. You could have owned the internet market but what did you do? You were years late and billions of dollars short. Your style of pro-active management made the dinosaurs seem like forward-looking strategists. You started bleeding cash at the aorta and you tried to stem the flow by using band-aids patches. You allowed top notch talent to leave the company and you replaced them with novices and refused to invest the time and money in developing the skills necessary to succeed. You helped the company commit suicide so long as you survived. This is your legacy. May the nightmares you created haunt you in your sleep.

Aug 12, 2014Reputation Management Coordinator

Hi, thank you for sharing this feedback with us. It's great to know that you felt at one point, there were several positive aspects of the company and disappoints us to know that your outlook ... More

Not long for this world

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Baltimore, MD (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD (US)

I worked at Supermedia full-time for less than a year

Pros

The pay was similar to that in the technology sector. Very competitive

Cons

This company can't adapt with the times. When I was hired, they stated they were making a push to go heacy into technology. Unfortunately, that was not the case. Leadership are all holdovers from the days when people relied on the yellow pages to find information. They simply cannot adapt with the times

There is an old school sales mentality throughout the organization and it is poisonous. I was offered a promotion into the sales division and I knew immediately I didn't want it. There is no work/life balance on that side of the house.

There is no chance for any advancement. This is a dying industry and they can't get out of their own way.

Figure out how you are going to advance the company. There is no exit strategy. Make a strong push into new ventures or you will be dead in 5 years.

Aug 21, 2014Reputation Management Coordinator

Hi, as a current employee, we definitely want to hear how you truly feel regarding your employment situation and your outlook about the company. The information you've provided will help us as we ... More

Good company - hard work

Current Employee - Media Consultant  in  Erie, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Media Consultant in Erie, PA (US)

I have been working at Supermedia full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

constant change - growth opportunity if you are willing to relocate

Cons

no control over future - unless relocating

Jul 29, 2014Reputation Management Coordinator

Yes, with hard work comes fruitful gains. We try to offer growth opportunities across the board, whether they are locally or involve relocating. Thank you for your review and we appreciate your ... More

Scampering to stay profitable in a declining market.

Former Employee - Real Estate and Facilities  in  Middleton, MA (US)
    Former Employee - Real Estate and Facilities in Middleton, MA (US)

I worked at Supermedia full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Excellent Management scattered throughout the company. Strong sense of teamwork.

Cons

The company was in it's glory about 30 years ago and has been adjusting to the changing marketing environment since. Paper phone books are becoming a thing of the past and so is Supermedia. Attempts are being made to be current and profitable but at the cost of employee reduction,

Stay innovative.

Jul 21, 2014Reputation Management Coordinator

Thank you kindly for posting your review. We welcome all feedback as it means a lot while the company moves forward into the future. Ed

Pay is great...Too many chiefs and not enough Indians.

I worked at Supermedia full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

They really invest in their employees...2 month training that's paid for, incentive trips, great uncap commissions, bonuses and contest every 2 weeks.

Cons

Company is struggling and losing too much business too fast. Not sure they have enough quality leaders/employees to get the job done.

Make the job more fun and bring life back into the work force. Stop pulling employees in every direction...Focus on one specific task and motivate them. Whipping them will not get the job done.

Sumermedia - Marketing Consultant

Former Employee - Marketing Consultant  in  Ontario, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Marketing Consultant in Ontario, CA (US)

I worked at Supermedia full-time for more than a year

Pros

The company is making a late effort to bring new internet products to market to stem loss the of it's print clients.

Cons

The company is hurting financially as evidenced by 2 bankruptcy fillies in recent years. Marketing consultants are micromanaged daily.

Good Money, but you'll earn it

Former Employee - Multimedia Consultant  in  Middleton, MA (US)
    Former Employee - Multimedia Consultant in Middleton, MA (US)

I worked at Supermedia full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Can earn 75k fairly easily, great benefits & car allowance. Good equipment & training, Salesforce is King

Cons

Tough work life balance - expect you in field @ 8AM - ok if your territory is nearby, if you need to travel to downtown Boston can be more difficult.

Worked for Supermedia? Contribute to the Community!