Symantec

Updated Jul 30, 2014

3.2 1,584 reviews

Symantec Interim CEO Michael Brown

Michael Brown

Pros
  • Work life balance makes this company stand high in all IT product companies (in 192 reviews)

• Great work environment - Facilities to employees at good (in 106 reviews)

Cons
  • Terrible work life balance, although they will say they value this (in 35 reviews)

• Need internal sales talk to senior management to keep or find new position at RIF (in 64 reviews)

More Highlights
1,584 Employee Reviews

Great place to work

Technical Support Engineer (Current Employee) Sydney

ProsFriendly team. Always innovating meeting trying to meet customer's expectation.

ConsRevolving door for senior management

Advice to Senior ManagementTrain , retain redeploy rather retrenching

Poor Management

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsLarge corporate culture and values usually provided by large multinationals

ConsA company without a clear vision

Advice to Senior ManagementYou can make a great company if the focus is changed to customers and employees first.

No motivation for employees to work harder

Software Engineer (Former Employee) Sydney

ProsHuge company, hence lot of smart people to work with

ConsHuge company, hence they treat employee badly. Especially, Engineers are considered as an expense.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Unstable workplace due to exec board trying to resuscitate the company.

Senior Program Manager (Former Employee) Sydney

ProsDepends greatly on your immediate manager, if you get a good one, great, pros like on par salary and fairly stable workload.

Executive board trying to bring company back to its former glory means its exciting times.

ConsAt the same time with changes in ceo, multiple restructures and culls, the company is an unstable workplace. Today you may be fine, but if your team cones under the spotlight, tough luck.

The company is also hell bent on bringing jobs back to US at the moment. So it has reduced heads in almost every overseas site except MV, Culver City, Dublin, Singapore, Chendu. If you are there, fantastic. If you are not - watch out.

Advice to Senior ManagementRestructuring is great, but culling entire teams means you lose stars in those teams too.

No direction

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Melbourne

ProsGood benefits - health insurance, ESPP etc

ConsToo US centric, management never cares about employees. No communication between departments.

Advice to Senior ManagementAppreciate the talent and resources or the good ones will all be gone to your competitors. Don't be a follower, be a leader.

I worked for Symantec for 4 years during SYMC 3.0

Mid Market Account Manager (Current Employee) Sydney

ProsIt was really innovative when I joined and had a great company Culture. This was before their market share was declining and before cloud had any momentum. I really enjoyed working there.

they've had a company restructure since I was there. It could be different now.

ConsPolitical. There was still a bit of the Veritas versus Symantec thing going and management tended to form alliances. Not a good place to be on the outer. I couldn't believe how many people got pushed or were made redundant during my tenure.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop the power grabbing your loosing market share! Focus on your customers and developing new products for an evolving IT landscape.

Pretty good org

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat benefits including medical and RSU

ConsVery Mountain View centric org

4.0 change

Engineering Manager (Current Employee)

Prosgood for company health in long run

Conssubject to appropriate execution & outcomes

Advice to Senior Managementmore controls needed to ensure proper execution or otherwise it end up being the same story seen in the past changes

Undergoing transformational change, but headed in the right direction.

Sales Manager (Current Employee) Sydney

ProsMarket leader, good benefits, achievable targets, great incentives and travel, good culture in various business units.

ConsQuite political, process driven (too much process and red tape), currently undergoing an organisational change that is taking some time, but if we get it right, Symantec will emerge in the top of its class and will become a great place to work. Hard yards to put in to get there but it may all be worth it.

Advice to Senior ManagementStay the course. Deliver on promises. Invest to innovate and deliver on the key trends in IT.

A wonderful company, but bit of a "boys" club.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Sydney

ProsJob security, large product portfolio - easy to sell to the market, good employee packages including health care, gym subsidies and other perks. Great experience working for the #1 IT security leader in the market. Culture was OK.

Cons- Management are not leaders, they are bosses.
    - Too much politics. Far too much red tape to get anything done.
    - Far too results driven, I felt like a number on a spreadsheet sometimes.
    - post sale support is broken to an extent.
    - Boys club: if you are not doing good, you basically get little to not much attention to help repair what's broken. You are either good at your job, or crap.
    - no real career plan ever developed. I had to constantly ask what was planned for me next, with bleak answers given.
    - culture needs a lot of work to improve.

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate a better culture in the office, stop being bosses and be leaders. You absolutely need to work on employee retention, if you are wondering why top talent leave; the answer is never just because of their own ambitions. There are other reasons because of internal Symantec problems.

Worked for Symantec? Contribute to the Community!