Symbian

Symbian Executive Director Tim Holbrow
Tim Holbrow
1 Rating

Great

Former Employee - Project Manager  in  London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Project Manager in London, England (UK)

Pros

Great people, great ideas, good energy.

Cons

Poor people, clueless managers, lack of planning

Leave..

A great place to work (Symbian Ltd.)

Current Employee - Software Engineer  in  London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in London, England (UK)

Pros

Symbian was a great place to work, it had some of the smartest people I have ever met working there, and (before the takeover) the facilities and culture were excellent. We had tech talks once a month and great parties.

Cons

The companies structure (owned solely by manufacturers) meant it was always too beholden to a few big device makers, this had a massive impact on what we could create and how we created it, we had to do what was best for other companies, not ourselves and the product we were creating.

Too late now, but we should have pushed the product in the direction that was best for consumers and the market rather than our shareholder companies. Symbian had touchscreen before anyone else, Symbian had a promising UI that we were forced to sell.
    Also, we should have paid MUCH MUCH more attention to the negative feedback we were getting from third party developers, devices (computers included) have always been about the Apps, if its too hard to create Apps, your not going to capture developer mind share, which in turn means you are not going to capture as much market share. The fact we were on 90% of smartphones and no-one else was even close, turned out to be a bad thing. We had no competition to mark ourselves against, and when iOS came out and was so far ahead in some ways (the ways that mattered), but so far behind in other ways (the ways that didn't), the threat it posed wasn't fully appreciated until it was too late.

From nothing to everywhere in four years!

Pros

I worked from the beginning of Symbian through to 2002. It was an awesome startup that really took over the tech press and dominated the mobile world...for a while

Cons

And then those pesky handset manufacturers got in the way. Shame that so much promise was squandered in the early 2000s.

Don't mix customers with shareholders

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Once in a lifetime opportunity

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Pros

Symbian was one of these rare situations where a team of brilliant people come together and make the most of a tremendous market opportunity. It was an incredibly well-led company that ran like a machine and produced some of the wides ever used software on the planet.

Cons

Tragically, Symbian's phone vendor shareholders did not realise the potential of the people in Symbian. While the software was getting outdated and contained a lot of legacy that could not be removed, they should have used the technical talent, management capability and development process experience available in Symbian to develop a new phone OS platform that could compete on a level playing field with Google Android.

Nice to work with Symbian and u love it

Former Employee - Senior Engineer  in  Bangalore (India)
    Former Employee - Senior Engineer in Bangalore (India)

Pros

So much Employee friendly and good pay

Cons

no future for product and any way Nokia closed this product development

wrong step

coolest ever on the planet earth

Current Employee - Packer  in  London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Packer in London, England (UK)

Pros

good thing that matters most

Cons

real good in benefits and bonus annually

very well

Being sacked 2 days after my Mother dropped dead.

Former Employee - Project Manager  in  London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Project Manager in London, England (UK)

Pros

There were some decent people working there.

Cons

John Schroder, the project office manager.

Do not be sexist or racist.

A sinking ship....

Pros

A very diverse environment with a number of lovely, bright people. The industry is certainly very interesting and the opportunity to work with some truly brilliant industry developers was great.

Cons

Possibly the most dysfunctional work environment I have ever been in. There were intense amounts of gossip and insecurity and generally speaking there was less focus on quality product than there was on personal issues and ego.

Business decisions made to placate emotionally unstable middle managers or feed someones ego despite the full awareness that is is a bad business decision compared to other options available is foolhardy beyond the telling of it.

Its great working where your work is recognised and get to interact with many tech people.

Former Employee - Software Engineer  in  Bangalore (India)
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Bangalore (India)

Pros

Get the tech update from different people and be at the tech geek in mobile tech.

Cons

Symbian took over by Nokia...

Keep the OS still for many phones to come.

An exciting place to work at

Former Employee - Engineering Manager
    Former Employee - Engineering Manager

Pros

Great team feelings. Lots of competent people. Great leadership. Management willing to listen and take comments onboard.

Cons

Hard to get promoted above a certain range. Certain roles have a limited job grade level meaning you have to move to a new and different role to get promoted.

This is perhaps not really relevent now what Nokia has taken over Symbian: Ensure salaries are in line with the industry.

Worked for Symbian? Contribute to the Community!