Synapse Product Development

Synapse Product Development CEO and Co-Founder Ross Collins
Ross Collins

A great place to work!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA (US)

I have been working at Synapse Product Development part-time (more than an year)

Pros

This place really supports its people, helps them to grow their careers, and listens to them. I recently told my boss I had outgrown my current role and explained what I'd like to change. My boss and HR are now both working with me to look at options and make a timeline for changes.

Last year, a group of employees requested that the company create a parental leave policy, beyond the federal policy. The leadership listened and responded by enacting a policy that gives primary caregivers 3 months of fully paid leave and secondary caregivers (often dads) 4 weeks of fully paid leave. This is a much more generous policy than my friends at other firms have! Synapse in general is quite family-friendly.

The summer 2014 posters who complained about lack of vision should've waited a month- we are now taking part in a company-wide effort to define strategic goals. Unlike the usual top-down decree, the leadership team here is using an inclusive process that draws on feedback from all employees.

It is really exciting to work at a place where each of us are empowered to develop our careers and improve the whole company.

Cons

Some previous posts listed cons that were related to instability as we adjusted to sea changes from 2 of our biggest clients. Synapse is now well on it's way to recovery, has a more grounded leadership team, has developed a more diverse portfolio of clients, and is taking action to prevent making the same mistakes again. I'm glad, because it's a great place to work.

I have a lot of confidence in the current leadership team and their inclusive approach.

Talented engineers and motivating environment!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA (US)

I have been working at Synapse Product Development full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Open work environment encourages creativity and teamwork. I enjoy everyone I work with and learn something new every day. Something fun is always happening at Synapse.

Cons

Growth outside of engineering is limited.

Keep up the good work!

Synapse is the best Job I've ever had

Current Employee - Design & Marketing Manager in Seattle, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Design & Marketing Manager in Seattle, WA (US)

I have been working at Synapse Product Development full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The fun environment combined with interesting projects and a culture that inspires creativity, makes Synapse a truly special place to work.

I work beside some of the smartest people I've ever met, and it's not hard to find similar interests and extend friendships beyond the office.

There's a widespread mentality in the office that you must take risk in order to be truly innovative. This encourages people to step beyond conventional wisdom, get creative, and try new things. Synapse is the type of place that will force you to grow; one way or another.

Cons

Balancing resources has always seemed to be something the company struggles with, however the leadership has put emphasis on fixing this in the last year, and it seams to be improving.

Dynamic atmosphere, great colleagues

Pros

Interesting work from some of the biggest brands/most exciting names in technology.
    Everyone genuinely loves coming to work each day, which is so rare and contributes to the high, infectious energy.
    The environment and culture facilitates open communication, across departments and levels of the organization.
    Work with smart people that you want to grab a beer with after work.
    Spontaneous nerf gun wars.

Cons

The past year has been a year of transition, upper management has changed hands, and many people were put into leadership positions without proper training.
    Historically, a lack of diversity -- though this is actively changing.

The best job I've ever had

Current Employee - Senior Mechanical Engineer in Seattle, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Mechanical Engineer in Seattle, WA (US)

I have been working at Synapse Product Development full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Constantly tackling exciting and new challenges. Working on fun new technologies that push the limits of size and capabilities. However, the best thing about working for Synapse is the culture of the company. It feels more like a family than a work environment. The fun events and activities bring a good balance to the work environment. I couldn't recommend Synapse any higher.

Cons

There are smalls cons that pop up every once in a while, however none of them are even worth mentioning because I would be nit-picking. I love working at Synapse and would recommend it to anyone asking.

Continue to listen to the employees and keep the transparency of the business. So much of the struggles in the past were much more difficult to get through when upper management was not transparent with us. I believe it is back now, let's keep it going.

Visionless leadership team

I have been working at Synapse Product Development (more than an year)

Pros

Friendly colleagues. Easy to work with..

Cons

Leadership lacks vision, no long term plans.

Replace current leadership team with more business minded executives who have proven track record of driving growth and strategic planning. Current leadership team does not have strong business and marketing skill sets... Very short sighted.

Hard to see where this is going, but it's an interesting ride.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA (US)

I have been working at Synapse Product Development full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The coworkers are outstandingly diverse, interesting, driven and highly competent. You can learn something new every day from each person who works here. Each project has its own interesting aspects that keep you on your toes and learning. The work / life balance is excellent and the benefits are top notch.

Cons

Management is pretty much a weak soup. It's hard to know who's controlling what, what the company's long-term vision is, or how we're planning on getting there together. Upper echelons are clique-y and aloof and Synapse is not particularly transparent in its operations. Compensation is reasonable, but not first-rate, but the work-load isn't onerous.

Create a company vision, a business plan, and share it with your staff. Good things will happen.

Talented people that deliver outstanding work

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA (US)

I worked at Synapse Product Development full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Diversity of projects
    Talented and committed employees

Cons

Workload is sporadic and causes lots of churn in resources

Teach everyone how thw company adds value to it's customers rather than adding engineering capacity

Great place to work

I have been working at Synapse Product Development

Pros

The main thing I like is that we work in a culture of strong mutual respect. Curiosity is the key quality people exhibit and it let's people focus on solving problems rather than politics. Failure is tolerated as long as you own the problem. Asking for help early is always encouraged

Cons

Currently, the company is facing short term business challenges requiring a change in process

Fill the pipeline and don't burden us with process

Synapse Product Development Response

May 06, 2014Vice President, Human Resources

We appreciate the feedback. Yes Synapse was founded on strong employee-centric principles. Tough times recently have challenged all of us but we are working hard to get on track again and be even ... More

Not What they Portrayed themselves to be

Pros

Pros – Above average benefits
    Free Lunch on Wed.
    Free Snacks
    Interesting projects

Cons

I have been working at Synapse Product Development full-time for more than a year

Cons – Where do I start. There are so many cons about this company. They draw people in with their free beer, free Wed. lunch, games and the "freedom" to express yourself. They do have all of this with the exception of the freedom to express yourself. You are only free to express yourself as long as it fits into their philosophy and Synapse culture. Some of the behavior is extremely cult-like. They push their company CULTure relentlessly. If you do not exhibit appropriate Synapse attitude and culture you are at risk of losing your job or being pulled from projects.

Fratboy behavior permeates the culture. This begins with your first week of work when you are stood in front of the entire company and hazed and humiliated. People spend more time trying to be funny and come up with practical jokes or drink beer than actually do some work.

Employees and co-workers consistently put up road blocks which make it difficult for management to manage, and for projects to get done in a timely manner.
    Lack of process has contributed greatly to financial loss and internal frustration on teams.
    People lacking any real world or management experience have been placed in management roles which set teams, and the company up for failure.

Managers (and I call them that because there are no people with leadership skills here) lack the skill to forecast or to understand basic business practices. There is no strategy for next projects and how to fully utilize staff. People were laid off and 1 month later that role is open again and they are hiring the next poor sucker.

This company has a history of mismanagement of projects and funds which have lead them to multiple layoffs over the years, not only in 2013-2014 . In the past year there have been 2 significant layoffs resulting in the layoff of about half of the company. One of their favorite sayings is "People before Profit". Ha! When the hard times hit, the founders did nothing to try and save jobs like cut expenses or improve process. Their first reaction was to lay people off. Not only am I not optimistic about this company but I have lost all respect for this company. The founders are doomed to repeat their mistakes.

Getting out as fast as I can.

Advice to Senior Management/Founders – Stop allowing inexperienced staff and employees to run the company and influence your business decisions.

Synapse Product Development Response

May 06, 2014Vice President, Human Resources

Thank you for your honest feedback. I really mean it! It is important to hear these frustrations in order for Synapse to address and turn the corner to being a great place again. Multiple layoffs ... More

Synapse Product Development Photos