Synopsys

Updated 30 January 2015
3.7

Synopsys Co-CEOs Dr. Aart J. de Geus and Dr. Chi-Foon Chan
Dr. Aart J. de Geus and Dr. Chi-Foon Chan

Pros
  • You don't get lots of work to do as the products are pretty stable, which means good work-life balance (in 67 reviews)

• Provide good work-life balanced and flexible work environment (in 46 reviews)

Cons
  • gt;) Limited opportunities for growth (in 14 reviews)

• Expectations are little high at-least in our team, breaking work life balance (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

Great company, great people

Former Employee - Senior R&D Engineer II
    Former Employee - Senior R&D Engineer II

I worked at Synopsys full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great company with excellent work-life balance.

Great colleagues. Top-notch smartest people I've ever worked with. Can't stress this enough.

Flexible work hours. Occasionally had early/late meetings but not presence not compulsory -- although staying definitely helps personal growth.

Extremely friendly towards beginners. Good starting salaries.

Huge incentive towards independent critical thinking and problem solving. Teams focus on real problems. Interesting, challenging and rewarding projects.

Some very good managers although not true for every team unfortunately. R&D very well insulated from politics and customer pressure.

Cons

Many of their products are market leaders, but overall the company is falling behind in technology, and they don't seem to have the will or resources to keep things competitive in the long term. Senior management sees the solution as purely marketing and acquisitions of other companies, instead of investing in refreshing their own tech.

R&D are not treated particularly well. Benefits are well below average and salary growth is a function of time in the company instead of value or performance. Other annoyances such as cheap work laptops, lack of machines and disk space to run tests, and slow development environment (citrix/vpn).

Most supporting teams (facilities, QA, testing, IT, HR, marketing) are too independent and may decide to focus on things outside of R&D control/interest. This leads to lots of annoying facilities and logistics problems: poorly located office, dirty bathrooms, dirty cutlery/dishes in the kitchen, heating and plumbing problems, undrinkable coffee because the machine is never cleaned, etc. Most problems are simply due to lack of collaboration from facilities, and R&D can do nothing about it.

Questionable hiring strategy. Too much focus on hiring smart people (regardless of experience) that end up requiring three years training, combined with high turn-around. Current situation is that there's too many very senior, very comfortable (stuck) people as well as too many complete beginners, and nothing in-between. What are you going to do if/when the senior people decide to leave?

When budget is tight, keep investing on the money-making divisions: R&D and QA -- and cut costs on marketing, acquisitions etc.

Compensation isn't just about salary, it's about keeping people. Move to a better office, and improve the benefits/perks. Streamline the development process to maximize R&D productivity. Buy better machines and get rid of citrix. Make sure people are happy with their workplace and tools at their disposal on an ongoing basis and as top priority.

Improve communication internally. Re-structure teams so that managers have more power to get the things they need to operate effectively. Co-locate R&D, QA, tech writers, testing, marketing and facilities on the same office (instead of one in each country which is dubious strategy).

Hire more people, more frequently, and more aggressively, and target building a mix of people at various experience levels.

Good technically

I worked at Synopsys full-time (more than a year)

Pros

great work-life balane, very flexible timings

Cons

Not competitive pay, not many growth opportunities

Great Company plenty of internal Values

Current Employee - Technical Marketing Manager
    Current Employee - Technical Marketing Manager

I have been working at Synopsys as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great atmosphere and team spirit. Lot of challenges

Cons

Salary is a bit inappropriate for the level of expertise

Very pleasant

I worked at Synopsys

Pros

Good work life balance. Upper management is open to flexible work hours and locations. Good benefits such as paid time-off.

Cons

Niche industry. Promotions are hard.

Should be more open to out-of-the-box ideas

A financially and technologically solid company

I have been working at Synopsys

Pros

Strong upper management. Financially conservative.

Cons

Limited career flexibility. Core EDA is not growing much.

Good place to work

I have been working at Synopsys

Pros

Work atmosphere, guidance, pressure
    You can have time for yourself

Cons

Growth in the company is limited

Fair enough

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA (US)

I have been working at Synopsys

Pros

People are nice and helpful, projects are interesting, management are fairly good.

Cons

cafeteria is really bad, doesn't have a lot of group activities

Renovate cafeteria.

A good company to work for

Former Employee - Member of Technical Staff in Mountain View, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Member of Technical Staff in Mountain View, CA (US)

I worked at Synopsys

Pros

Highly technical people, good perks and compensation, technology leader. The culture is friendly and people keep a lot of personal interaction. There are a lot of social events.

Cons

It was my luck that I joined a bad team. My director broke my job contract on the 3rd day of my employment (main reason I left the company in less than a year) and that team had a lot of secrets and work space politics and very bad work life balance. But that is not the norm for the company. I just ended up with a team with bad first and second level managers, I heard they also left the company within few months after me.

Do not break job contract within first week of employment, my contract said that I will report to a director (the main reason I joined and it was part of job negotiations) and 3rd day of employment it was changed to reporting to a senior staff

Great place to work

I worked at Synopsys full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good Environment , Great place to work

Cons

There is no fixed bonus YOY