T.G.I. Friday's Reviews

Updated 27 September 2014
Updated 27 September 2014

T.G.I. Friday's President & CEO Nick Shepherd
Nick Shepherd

Pros
  • Flexible schedule, great co-workers, fun lively environment (in 24 reviews)

• I needed a job with flexible hours while in school (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours depending upon position but worth the money (in 16 reviews)

• I worked long late hours all the time (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Overall a great , fun place to work

Former Employee - General Manager  in  Melbourne
    Former Employee - General Manager in Melbourne

I worked at T.G.I. Friday's

Pros

In general, a fun job most of the time. Great people, great atmosphere, both a social and a hard working environment combined. Good salary compared to industry standards

Cons

A lack of support from senior management unfortunately ruins what is otherwise a great place to work. Expect to give every pound of flesh for the money you receive.

Treat your management teams with more respect and support, recognise achievements rather than constantly picking faults. Inforce a 40 hour work week for your managers and make it happen, and you'll have less turnover.

Okay could be better

Current Employee - Server TGI Friday's  in  Richmond, VA (US)
    Current Employee - Server TGI Friday's in Richmond, VA (US)

I have been working at T.G.I. Friday's part-time for less than a year

Pros

The tips, fun energetic place to be.

Cons

Management just does not know how to be managers. DRAMA DRAMA DRAMA!!!!!!! I would never work at a place full of females. To much estrogen going through the store. This place needs new managers new servers. I've been here for 3 months and only liked two weeks of it. The pay is horrible, I have no clue how a two parent house can survive off of $2.13/hr I just started serving so I go home with maybe $20 a night. The food is entirely to greasy I can literally take my burger and squeeze at least two oz of grease out of it. THE ENDLESS APPETIZERS NEEDS TO END!!!!!!!

Get better management and maybe people would actually start liking their job.

I have worked here 3 months so far and I absolutely love it.

Current Employee - Server  in  Virginia Beach, VA (US)
    Current Employee - Server in Virginia Beach, VA (US)

I have been working at T.G.I. Friday's full-time for less than a year

Pros

Organized, Drama Free, Positive People

Cons

some of the guests can be rude

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Server

Current Employee - Server  in  Orlando, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Server in Orlando, FL (US)

I have been working at T.G.I. Friday's part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

It has a great training program for first time servers. They get you prepared and make sure you have the knowledge before you hit the floor.

Cons

The management hardly backs up the employees even though they tell their employees to do a certain thing. Better benefits and better compensation.

Terrible exp

Current Employee - Server  in  Farmington Hills, MI (US)
    Current Employee - Server in Farmington Hills, MI (US)

I have been working at T.G.I. Friday's part-time for less than a year

Pros

People I worked with

Cons

No flexibility for hours. Expected to work doubles.

Better management.

Sometimes hostile environment, FOH ran by servers, not management

Current Employee - Server  in  Newington, CT (US)
    Current Employee - Server in Newington, CT (US)

I have been working at T.G.I. Friday's part-time for less than a year

Pros

The management is down to earth and easy to talk to, they also handle customer concerns very well, and will never leave you hanging with an irate customer.

Cons

The management doesn't run the front of the house, the servers and bartenders do, and with that separation comes a sometimes hostile work environment. The veteran servers run the show and get off from barking out side work commands throughout the shift, which is actually the most passive aggressive and ineffective approach to getting running side work done. Newer servers that get cut first, get the most side work, the select closing servers give themselves minimal to no side work, and instead of putting in an effort to help out with the work that needs to be done throughout a shift, they shout out their commands. Instead of the management implementing a more effective running side work model, this approach is the accepted way to run things.

During the interviews, the management suggests they cut based on performance, not seniority. With the absence of the management in the front of the house to observe newer servers performing well, the same servers always stay the latest, in the best sections of the restaurant, which leaves little money to be made for the newer crew. Upper management in the company are always riding restaurant management to get hours down, so most of the time, even on a busy Saturday, a shift doesn't last longer than three hours on the floor.

During the interview and training process, the management and training servers imply that you will be applauded for your hard work, staying on top of running side work, rolling silverware throughout your shift, and will be rewarded for doing so. There is no acknowledgement for working hard, and clearly no benefits either, the same servers will continue to run the show and stay in the money making sections of the restaurant.

I will note that so much work is left to the servers and it's tough for the restaurant management to involve themselves with the front of the house more because the company doesn't want to spend the money on an expediter, and bussers and runners. Besides the weekends, servers and management fill the shoes of an expediter, and servers also run and bus their tables, and always run other table's plates as well. If the management could focus on being management, and not expediters, things might run more fairly for the front of the house staff. If the servers had a food runner, they could manage more of the running side work.

To restaurant management - consider involving yourself more in the FOH. Observe servers performance, and implement a more effective side work model, that is fair to everyone working.

To company management - consider hiring the positions necessary to run a smooth and successful restaurant.

Your GM/managers will make or break your experience

Former Employee - Server/Bartender  in  Westchase, FL (US)
    Former Employee - Server/Bartender in Westchase, FL (US)

I worked at T.G.I. Friday's full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Fun environment to work in. Excellent benefits, health insurance, 401k, tuition reimbursement. Flexibility in schedule if you are a student. Great place to learn how to bartend.

Cons

The leadership will make or break your experience. I worked at two stores. The first store I had a great GM. The second store was hell on earth. Both the GM and bar manager where extremely unprofessional, vengeful poor excuses for managers. There was one manager at the location that was great and a decent human being but was not enough to outweigh the other managers.

Fun

Current Employee - Host  in  Merrillville, IN (US)
    Current Employee - Host in Merrillville, IN (US)

I have been working at T.G.I. Friday's part-time for less than a year

Pros

Fun place to work.
    Good hours and and tips.

Cons

Heavy workload
    Not enough pay compared to work

My experience at TGI Friday's was fulfilling on numerous levels including professionally and personally.

Former Employee - Server  in  Erie, PA (US)
    Former Employee - Server in Erie, PA (US)

I worked at T.G.I. Friday's part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

TGI Friday's is a fun work environment that encourages its employees to exhibit their unique personality.

Cons

Other team members do not work up to established standards.

Regularly observe and evaluate employee's performance based on set standards. Provide regular feedback.

Not the best place to be a server

Former Employee - Server  in  Tulsa, OK (US)
    Former Employee - Server in Tulsa, OK (US)

I worked at T.G.I. Friday's full-time for more than a year

Pros

Co-workers were great! Company is constantly striving to keep up with the latest and greatest drinks & entree's while providing the all time favorite's with consistency. Atmosphere is nostalgic!

Cons

Too much negativity in leadership, there was little promotion of great attitudes and fun atmosphere. There were problems with keeping leadership on premise and 2 manager's were promoted to other locations with pay increase that were not high energy, uplifting manager's. The customer's felt the negativity in the restaurant and you could tell which one's fed off it because they were the one's asking for comp's. The Tips were ok but when you advertise a $7.99 lunch you're going to get a $5.99 customer all day every day.

Consider discussing Golden Rule management styles and keeping a positive attitude towards all employee's and guests. Focus on the pros of what has made TGIFriday's a great place to work and enjoy dinner & drinks!

Worked for T.G.I. Friday's? Contribute to the Community!