TD Ameritrade

TD Ameritrade Reviews

Updated Jul 23, 2014

TD Ameritrade President, CEO & Director Fred Tomczyk

Fred Tomczyk

Pros
  • Work-life balance is good if you want to leave the office promptly at 5(in 18 reviews)

• Great benefits outside of salary(in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • No sick pay, multiple upper management positions for single teams, TPS reports(in 12 reviews)

• I have no idea why some reviews suggest there is a good work/life balance(in 5 reviews)

Investment firm or Tech company? You choose.

Software Design (Current Employee) Jersey City, NJ (US)

ProsReally pushing the envelope as far as trading platforms go. Teams across multiple cities task well together, even with the usual development hiccup. The company as a whole has a very family-oriented feeling, does plenty of outreach work, and is seen in the industry as an one of the best big firms. Definitely competitive pay too.

ConsTypical big-business organizational issues. Promotions not easy, but still there if you stick around long enough.

My experience with TDA has been a long and positive experience.

ProsTD Ameritrade is a very good company to work for. Their benefits package rivals most large corporations. Leadership within the operations/technology business units are competent and flexible. TDA currently has 5 core values which they strive to follow everyday.

ConsHR can be a little restrictive. They will speak in vague terms such as "industry standard" and such when limiting or eliminating certain needs that an associate may have.

sales

Prosgood work life balance, innovative products, fun culture- great people

Consbenefits are terrible, and routes are limited if you don't want to manage people

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

TD Ameritrade is a great wholesome company to work for

Financial Representative Broker (Current Employee) Omaha, NE (US)

ProsProfessional, open door, lots of associate engagment, and overall very open to helping you advance in which ever career path you decide to go with

ConsThe series 7 is difficult to obtain. Also usually have to stay in postion for 6-12 months before attempting to move to another one.

Great Company.

Investment Consultant (Current Employee) Omaha, NE (US)

ProsFast paced. great pay. ok benefits

Consthey are moving towards a metric based performance. Call time, dials etc... it is beginning to feel micro managed. overall still bearable

Advice to Senior Managementstop trying to move towards micro management

TDAmeritrade

Senior Manager (Former Employee) Fort Worth, TX (US)

ProsGreat place to start a career.

ConsNot a great place to stay until retirement.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your front line

Good experience, room for advancement if you perform

Relationship Ma (Former Employee) Fort Worth, TX (US)

ProsThey treat there employees well and try and take good care of them. They were flexible with me when I needed time off.

ConsThe pay was fair but I had a terrible commute. You are really a customer service rep and not a RM.

Program execution

ProsVery focused, clear direction, quick results and feedback

ConsHard to bring focus on long term strategy

Advice to Senior ManagementThe organization could benefit from a focus on leadership coaching

Fun

ProsGreat work environment, team's are always engaged and have fun together

ConsTeam gatherings seem redundant and not a lot really gets done during them

Slow decline

Investment Consultant (Former Employee) Fort Worth, TX (US)

ProsCoworkers are great and the teamwork is second to none. The pay wasn't bad and the benefits were okay. I was promoted 4 times in 5 years, so upward mobility is possible.

Cons130% increase in sales targets for the same pay, which means more hours have to be worked. When I started 5 years ago, the employees came first, but now shareholders come first. That'd be fine and dandy, if all employees had stock options and not just senior management. Bonuses have been declining for the last 3 years and you've had layoffs, while your CEO announces a record bonus for himself(not a good idea for moral). No trails on sales, no benefit for keeping clients satisfied, encouraged to churn clients since it's the only way to get sales commissions.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a look at your turnover. The 90% retention was a bragging point in 2009 and the industry was bleeding reps. Now that it's around 70%, you might want to concentrate on retaining the talent that made it possible for you to reach those "record breaking quarters" you've been having. If a manager has 80% turnover annually, it's probably a lack of management skills and should look to replace them. You're nothing without your employees. Do not lie to your employees, EVER. I was happy for 5 years and then was lied to and promised all kinds of things in a new role that went bust in 6 months and when I mentioned I'd like to go back to my previous role, I was told "too bad".

Worked for TD Ameritrade? Contribute to the Community!