TJ Maxx

www.tjmaxx.com
Profile Unclaimed

Okay job for a high school student

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Hanover, MD (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Hanover, MD (US)

I have been working at TJ Maxx part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Very simple work: Maintaining a friendly atmosphere in the store while serving the customers at the cash register, the jewelry counter, the fitting room, and on the sales floor. Recovering merchandise at the end of the day.
    Good basic retail experience for someone looking to go into sales. Important skills: customer service, communication with customers, dealing with stress.

Cons

Hours can be rather unpredictable, even for long-time employees. They claim to have opportunities for advancement, but the only full-time employees are supervisors and members of management, so it's hard to make long term plans. Very few employees seem to want to stay after a few months, so the workplace environment is always changing.

With good managers, this is a great place to work. Unfortunately, during the time that I have been working here, the management has changed several times. I am a soon-to-be college grad, but I don't feel as if I would have much chance of planning a life around my work here. Extending my available hours doesn't allow me more hours to work, it just means that the hours I work are more unpredictable. I feel sometimes as though the more recent employees get better hours than the people who have been working more consistently.

Tough crowd

I have been working at TJ Maxx

Pros

Nice environment
    Great value for customers

Cons

Little or no career advancement opportunities
    Poor communication
    Poor dissemination of correct store policies

ASMs needs to fully trained to with the correct store policies and not just going by what the store manager (regardless if you're there for 20+ years) says how things be done. There are too many misuse of information being passed around regarding policies and procedures.

Very little chance to advance at this store, even though they show videos to associates and advertise growth in company

Current Employee - Floor Associate
    Current Employee - Floor Associate

I have been working at TJ Maxx part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Learn retail, cashiering, how to process new inventory and set up features. Can learn new or improve on current job skills. Learn to work with a team of associates. Helpful at developing customer service skills.

Cons

Really no chance to advance and grow in company. They promise it, but they still hire new people for advance positions and better pay when they have several very good associates that qualify and want those positions. Managers always have a 'grass is always greener' mentality over new hires that chronically never work out. Lousy annual pay raises. Rude sloppy customers. Coordinators fighting with other coordinators that slack on the job and put associates in between their fight.

Listen to the many long time experienced employees concerns. Check in on Coordinators when you leave them in charge and see what they really are like when you are away.

Experience depends on who is managing and location

I worked at TJ Maxx

Pros

Flexible hours, worked with good co-workers

Cons

Communications with management needs improvement.

Ok for a first job

Former Employee - Fitting Room Associate in Germantown, TN (US)
    Former Employee - Fitting Room Associate in Germantown, TN (US)

I worked at TJ Maxx

Pros

Lunch provided
    easy to take time off
    weekly pay

Cons

Low pay
    Not enough hours
    understaffed
    unorganized managers

Be more organized and increase the staff. You can't put 5 people on schedule and think things will get done.

Cashiers Review

Former Contractor - Sales Associate in Brentwood, CA (US)
    Former Contractor - Sales Associate in Brentwood, CA (US)

I worked at TJ Maxx as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

The store is only 3 blocks away from where I live. I love the store. It is one of my favorite stores. Great store to work for. And, the management feed you during the holidays. Great clothes. That's it.

Cons

I used to manage a retail store. One of the important factors to gain customers' trust and loyalty is to have an excellent customer service. A person cannot just say "Hi" or "Hello" or "How are you" without acknowledging that there's actually a person standing in front of you. Most employees of the store where I used to work are doing exactly that. It is meaningless when you don't smile or doesn't look at the person standing in front of you. I felt, I should have been hired to train employees the true meaning of "customer service".

Management must show an excellent customer service example. Just because you wear a "smile sticker" it doesn't mean a customer would look at it and that represent "customer service. It's a good start though. But, almost all the time. customer does not value stickers. It is the real person who is wearing the sticker can give a huge impact on the customer. Put yourself into a customer's shoes, when shopping in a different store and the employees act the same way as your employees. Maybe, it would be a good learning experience.

Customer Service

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY (US)

I worked at TJ Maxx part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Flexible Schedules - Even if you are scheduled on a day you want off its easy to give away shifts or swap them
    Management Staff - At my location seemed fair and reasonable, rules were clear cut
    Support - If you get a second job, death in the family, a hurricane comes, they rearrange your schedule, give you time off pay you for days missed, relax the attendance and lateness policy while public transportation gets back on track.

Cons

They pay minimum wage.
    The customers are nasty - they have horrible attitudes and they make terrible messes that every one has to stay hours after to clean up. Closing time might be 9 but you leave after 10 sometimes 11 cleaning up the mess.

Pay your associates better they work very very very hard

Best retail job I had

Current Employee - Retail Associate in Sioux Falls, SD (US)
    Current Employee - Retail Associate in Sioux Falls, SD (US)

I have been working at TJ Maxx part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Nice atmosphere, there was always work to do, I had a great relationship with management and always felt like I was valued.

Cons

Pushing the credit cards, having to provide same level of service on days we knew would be busy with less staff, didn't always get the hours I needed.

Continue to value your employees and maintain the family-like atmosphere-it was a great job, but near the end it felt like I wasn't as valued as I had been.

Sales Associate

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Alexandria, VA (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Alexandria, VA (US)

I worked at TJ Maxx

Pros

Good place to work at. Great experience for retail marketing. Checks come on every week. Friendly co-workers, fun place to work as a team. Every associate is assigned to specific department but everyone does almost everything.

Cons

First thing first low pay, bad schedules, store gets really messy fast. kids toy sections are not set up good.

Good hardworking Managers, but high turnaround on hourly employees

Former Employee - Retail Associate
    Former Employee - Retail Associate

I worked at TJ Maxx part-time (more than a year)

Pros

I actually enjoyed working here as an hourly associate. The retail store structure and layout is nice, not too big and too small. Variety of products. Great prices and 20% off every quarter for employees. You will be the first to check out the clearance items and there's always a treasure to be found. I respected my assistant managers and the store manager. Very hardworking dedicated people with common sense and can do attitudes.

Cons

I worked at TJ Maxx just to get out of the house and make a little extra money. Unfortunately it was v e r y little. Minimum wage which was $7.25/hour. Eventhough I enjoyed working for TJ Maxx - it was frustrating to have colleagues who would do just enough to get through the day, mostly students working part time. High turnaround because of small pay and therefor always having to teach new people. There are slow months, especially between February and May, so often you will not get many hours.

I would suggest trying a higher hourly wage to be competitive. This will put you in a spot light. Good hardworking people with strong work ethics will apply and will want to stick around longer than just a few months. In slow months, give the hours to those who will actually 'work' and not just waist time until they can clock out.

TJ Maxx Photos