TJX Companies

TJX Companies Reviews

Updated Jul 22, 2014

TJX Companies President, CEO, and Director Carol M. Meyrowitz

Carol M. Meyrowitz

Pros
  • An honest people place with a real work - life balance not just lip service(in 27 reviews)

• Good benefits, Have an open door policy that is worth utilizing(in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management is always changing the methods of operation to try some new scheme(in 18 reviews)

• There is no higher pay for those returning to another internship or full time job(in 15 reviews)

It's a great place to work!

Merchandise Coordinator (Current Employee) Buffalo, NY (US)

ProsGood benefits for full-time workers, including medical, dental, and eye insurance, plus 401k and vacation time; friendly management;

Consthere tends to be a lack of organization amongst the district I work in, so it is hard to find the right people and time to discuss promotions.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed better training for new hires

Decent starter job

Sales Associate/Cashier (Current Employee) Miami, FL (US)

ProsFlexible work hours, especially if you are a high school/college student. The work load, though overwhelming at times, eventually takes some getting used to, weekly pay check, locations all over the US. Great employee atmosphere, though it may vary according to your location. Reputable, well-doing company of years.

ConsLow pay, you can spend over a year at minimum wage, regardless of consideration or opinion managers may have on you. It's very hard to move up the ladder on this one, as most positions are usually already taken up, and they mostly need sales associates. Yearly raises are generally low.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to devise one style of management, not around four, and agree on the way the store should be run. There are too many managers, as many as four, in one specific store, not counting the coordinators, of course, who aren't managers.

Nothing to rave about...

Assistant Store Manager - Operations (Current Employee)

Pros-Good benefits
    -Decent pay
    -Growth opportunities
    I enjoy the benefits that are available with good coverage and reputable vendor. Join their culture and opportunity for growth is excellent.

Cons-Heavy work load
    -High turnover
    -Lack of communication
    Being a manager feels like "lost in translation". Value for management is loss due to poor associate relations.

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove upper management communication
    develop a better training
    different visions, different goals, lack of goals being align

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Company to work for! Highly Recommend

Senior Investigator (Former Employee) New York, NY (US)

ProsGreat people, good values, culture of the company cares about their associates, Solid financially. Good compensation, good work / life balance

ConsTechnology tends to not be state of the art. New systems tend to have bugs often times.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work!

"Off-price at it's best'

Product Manager (Former Employee) Framingham, MA (US)

ProsStable company, great compensation and room for growth with the right support from management

ConsVery political corporate environment. Demanding workload and time constraints, can be a challenge for work-life balance without support of management

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest more in promoting from within

Doesn't pay well

Senior Financial Analyst (Current Employee) Framingham, MA (US)

ProsPersonal Perks - can take sick time and work from home good vacation time

ConsDoesnt pay well, no work life balance

Advice to Senior ManagementPay your resource well

A big company that could be great but due to poor management and culture leaves many employees dissatisfied

Allocation Analyst (Former Employee) Framingham, MA (US)

ProsThere is a lot of room for growth if you are lucky to be placed in a good division with a good manager. The career path within Planning and Allocation is very well defined, although most analysts don't actually stay with the company to advance.
    There are a lot of benefits right away including medical insurance, paid time off, 10% corporate discount, and average compensation for the Boston Metro area.

ConsTJX's Planning and Allocation division does not embrace diversity; beyond a lack of diversity in race and cultures, there is a lack of diversity in the way people think which led to processes and people being hesitant to change. If you fit into their mold then you might have a great experience at TJX, but there is a very low retention rate due to people falling outside of that mold and being very dissatisfied.
    Work-life balance is highly dependent on the division you are placed into, some work 9-5 everyday while many others do not, some even requiring weekend shifts. Around the holiday seasons it can be difficult to get time off if you are in a smaller team because they always need some people in the office.
    Overall, I am in agreement with other reviewers who believe that the culture is driven by sorority style politics. Rather than promoting development in employees it is more important to adapt to the culture. The professionalism is very low and body image/unhealthy dieting are commonly discussed topics in the office.

Advice to Senior ManagementActually employ managers who have the ability and interest in managing their employees, rather than those who are solely self-interested in their own career path. Most managers, but not all, within P&A are just there as a stepping stone to going into the buying world.
    Also, instead of instilling the philosophy that employees are disposable, continue to develop employees after the training period and work together to place employees with a proper manager for their skill set.
    Don't expect recent college graduates with no previous planning education and only a few months on the job to be tremendous. The pressure of feeling disposable and having little support does not produce a great environment for those employees to grow.

The worst professional experience and a demeaning training program

Allocation Analyst (Former Employee) Framingham, MA (US)

ProsGood benefits and time off.

ConsOne of the most stressful, dueling training programs ever. Not only was the training very uninformative but the training instructor and Planning managers attacked at our personal brands. Since the training program has ended, the stress has not stopped. Several recent grads from my training program have since been fired or left due to the awful experiences and terrible hours.

Good first Job

Allocation Analyst (Current Employee) Framingham, MA (US)

ProsPays well
    Great benefits
    Young environment, will make lots of great friends

ConsSalary caps
    Your manager will determine your growth in the company
    Large girl to guy ratio - watch out for those claws!

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter oversight and feedback of managers.

Great first job

Customer Experience Coordinator (Current Employee)

ProsFlexible
    Promoted in 3 months
    Culture
    Employees
    In-store management

ConsCompensation
    Growth is limited
    Getting hours is difficult when "over budget"

Advice to Senior ManagementEmployees endure so much negativity from customers on a daily basis. Show employees they don't go unnoticed!

Worked for TJX Companies? Contribute to the Community!