TJX Companies

TJX Companies Reviews

Updated Jul 29, 2014

TJX Companies President, CEO, and Director Carol M. Meyrowitz

Carol M. Meyrowitz

Pros
  • An honest people place with a real work - life balance not just lip service (in 27 reviews)

• Good benefits, Have an open door policy that is worth utilizing (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management is always changing the methods of operation to try some new scheme (in 18 reviews)

• There is no higher pay for those returning to another internship or full time job (in 17 reviews)

More Highlights

Great people and great work ethics.

Senior IT Business Analyst (Former Employee) Framingham, MA (US)

ProsOpen and great communication channel with management team. Great peer support.

ConsUnrealistic time management for projects.

Good Company with nice management team.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsFlexible for 2nd jobs or school schedule. Relaxed work environment.

ConsPay scale and not enough help when busy.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire more and pay more.

They are the perfect place to work for a little extra cash.

Sales Associate/Cashier (Current Employee) Denver, CO (US)

ProsSome of the Pros are;
    They work with your schedule,
    The people are fun to work with,
    And the management is easy to work with.

ConsSome of the cons are;
    Standing at the register can get old,
    Some of the customers can be mean,
    And its hard to find someone to cover a shift when you need it.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good for part time work if you don't need a lot of hours, great flexibility for a college student

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Pros10% discount, 20% discount every few months, Flexible scheduling Easy to take time off, cell phone discounts, opportunity for extra hours if people call out. Decent benefits if you work full time.

ConsConstant pushing of credit cards, very specific procedures and policy you need to abide by, If you apply and are hired you waive your right to settle any disputes with the company externally, which means you can't sue and it will be handled by someone that they hire. Not a lot of opportunity to grow in my opinion you don't want to be stuck here for the rest of your life. If you do happen to become a supervisor aka coordinator the raise is typically only a dollar, and it is a lot of pressure, Consider yourself warned.

Advice to Senior ManagementRevise your open door policy to include a HR person that associates can confide in with out fear of repercussions. Stop hiring people who are not good people, okay I know that is almost impossible but don't put them in positions of power, employees should not hate their managers or feel like they can't talk to them

Coordinator

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsIt was flexible if you knew way ahead of time when you needed off. Schedule was always out at least 2 weeks ahead.

ConsPay was too low for the amount of work required. Payroll would get cut and the same amount of work was expected to be accomplished.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay needs to match the requirements of the job title and not just pay the lowest amount possible.

Like a bad sorority -- no free will

Allocation Analyst (Former Employee) Framingham, MA (US)

Pros.....well......... it's a big company meaning benefits are good/steady and everything is very structured, meaning promotions were frequent. The facilities were nice-ish and the

ConsWhere to start.......
    -very little autonomy in business-level decision-making. Management emphasized "speak up!" so much during training that you almost believe it. If you have too many ideas people look at you weird (they do things one way and one way only) and if you don't speak up enough because, say, you analyze internally and do not jump up and down in your chair when your product turns, then you are a black sheep-- and you will be called out.
    -promotions were frequent but they treated people like a mass cycle -- even if you weren't really a good leader you would get promoted for the heck of it
    -never have I ever been as disrespected as I was at this company. I graduated top of my class, had several job offers (clearly accepted the wrong one), and am overly-passionate about my career. I had upper management pull me into their office and tell me, and I quote, "You will never be successful." Talk about encouragement! I've moved on to another company where I've been given the autonomy and respect I deserve/earned.
    -it is considered inappropriate to talk to someone who isn't your direct manager about business ideas/questions or career advancement. EVERYTHING has a process here -- you must pay your dos and fall into rank.

Basically, if you love fashion/merchandising and want that career path then you may want to consider it. But if company culture and top-down respect is important to you, you will be disappointed. If you can stomach it you may want to at least get through training because having this on your resume in the merchandising world is a big plus. Good luck to you.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement has recently revamped the training program which is nice in theory but according to my 10+ friends who are still there they feel it's had an overly negative effect rather than improving "the next crop" of new analysts. They run a tight business and get what needs to get done done, but employee culture is like a hostile sorority at times and there is little to no autonomy. I would say change this, but unfortunately I think TJX has been and will continue to be stuck in their ways.

It's a great place to work!

Merchandise Coordinator (Current Employee) Buffalo, NY (US)

ProsGood benefits for full-time workers, including medical, dental, and eye insurance, plus 401k and vacation time; friendly management;

Consthere tends to be a lack of organization amongst the district I work in, so it is hard to find the right people and time to discuss promotions.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed better training for new hires

Decent starter job

Sales Associate/Cashier (Current Employee) Miami, FL (US)

ProsFlexible work hours, especially if you are a high school/college student. The work load, though overwhelming at times, eventually takes some getting used to, weekly pay check, locations all over the US. Great employee atmosphere, though it may vary according to your location. Reputable, well-doing company of years.

ConsLow pay, you can spend over a year at minimum wage, regardless of consideration or opinion managers may have on you. It's very hard to move up the ladder on this one, as most positions are usually already taken up, and they mostly need sales associates. Yearly raises are generally low.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to devise one style of management, not around four, and agree on the way the store should be run. There are too many managers, as many as four, in one specific store, not counting the coordinators, of course, who aren't managers.

Nothing to rave about...

Assistant Store Manager - Operations (Current Employee)

Pros-Good benefits
    -Decent pay
    -Growth opportunities
    I enjoy the benefits that are available with good coverage and reputable vendor. Join their culture and opportunity for growth is excellent.

Cons-Heavy work load
    -High turnover
    -Lack of communication
    Being a manager feels like "lost in translation". Value for management is loss due to poor associate relations.

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove upper management communication
    develop a better training
    different visions, different goals, lack of goals being align

Doesn't pay well

Senior Financial Analyst (Current Employee) Framingham, MA (US)

ProsPersonal Perks - can take sick time and work from home good vacation time

ConsDoesnt pay well, no work life balance

Advice to Senior ManagementPay your resource well

Worked for TJX Companies? Contribute to the Community!