TJX Companies Reviews

Updated 25 September 2014
3.2

TJX Companies President, CEO, and Director Carol M. Meyrowitz
Carol M. Meyrowitz

Pros
  • The best part of the company is its stance on work-life balance and flexibility (in 31 reviews)

• They have a very good benefits package (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • You only move up if you suck up to upper management and are a favorite (in 20 reviews)

• There is no higher pay for those returning to another internship or full time job (in 19 reviews)

More Highlights

Community Relations Specialist Review

Former Employee - Community Relations Specialist  in  Framingham, MA (US)
    Former Employee - Community Relations Specialist in Framingham, MA (US)

I worked at TJX Companies full-time for less than a year

Pros

The work was fairly interesting, although I would finish all of it within 2 hours and then have 6 hours with nothing to do. My boss got upset with me and trained me to stretch it out for 8 hours, which was excruciating to do. The building is beautiful. It is easy to get to... Exit 13 off the Mass Pike and turn left after the toll..... Nice co-workers. Modern technology at your disposal. Lunch in the cafeteria was delicious. Getting to meet influential people in the Boston area (as part of community outreach initiatives). Attending corporate-to-retail conferences.

Cons

Micro-management; no potential for growth. I interned there for 6 months. After 6 months of great performance reviews, I asked my boss for a raise. (Was making $15 / hour with no benefits). He said he couldn't authorize it - talk to his boss. So I did. After a 10 minute conversation about BS small talk, his boss finally dropped the PC/corporate crap long enough to intimate to me that I would have to wait around for 3-4 YEARS before being considered a full-time employee because my boss's department was not ready to expand. The man wanted to keep me at an intern level for FOUR years.... I gave my 2 weeks' notice immediately.

Make growth opportunities possible for employes. PAY BETTER! This is BOSTON. It's not CHEAP to live here. Your company grosses multiple millions per year. Invest some in your people... (A novel idea!). Loosen up the dress code a little bit. I get it... you're a clothing retailer, but I got tired of listening to my boss tell me how amazing his $3,000 suit was as I sat there in a pair of cheap dress pants, a button-down shirt, and tie. I would rather be wearing khakis, a polo shirt, and sandals in the summer.

Slow Growth

I have been working at TJX Companies full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great Company, great core values, friendly atmosphere, relationship oriented, fast paced

Cons

consider experience and education when promoting
    develop internal talent before seeking external resources
    be consistent in disseminating information
    management actions do not reconcile with verbal messages that are conveyed and presented

Middle management needs to be effectively trained in leadership and conflict resolution.
    management should also model the behavior that they seek from their employees and do everything possible to fight for the people that they manage.

Hard to Move Up

Former Employee - Human Resources  in  Framingham, MA (US)
    Former Employee - Human Resources in Framingham, MA (US)

I worked at TJX Companies full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

TJX has a lot of pros. Overall, they have an amazing home office with a lot of perks like two gyms, an amazing cafeteria, and a indoor golfing range. Also since it is so big you have a really wonderful sense of community. They also provide very good benefits and 401K opportunities.

Cons

They cons are great. I found the company to be very hard to move up in. They also gave some of the worst raises I have ever gotten. I would have a wonderful review and a really bad raise and the excuses was always "we are an off price retailer". I never got that since they were making millions all over the world.

Have better opportunities to move up and give more realistic raises.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I enjoyed working here, helping the customers and working with the associates.

Former Employee - Customer Experience Coordinator  in  Swansea, MA (US)
    Former Employee - Customer Experience Coordinator in Swansea, MA (US)

I worked at TJX Companies part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I can be persuasive in getting customers to open credit cards. Managers always call on me especially if customers have a huge purchase. It's about customer retention and keeping them happy.

Cons

Promotion. Promotions were given to under staff members with little or no educational or experience. My manager was 23 years old but I like her very much..

Management should really work hard to retain dedicated workers.

Empty

I have been working at TJX Companies full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

They will promote from within.

Cons

They do not pay their workers and they put a lot on you for that little pay and they really bring cutting payroll to a whole NEW level, to a point that their customers suffer because they never have enough employees in a store to complete task all at once. Always pulling a employee from this a job to go do another job, leaving a customer to suffer or another job incomplete.

Step in and help out more. District manager should stop cutting payroll or company as a hold and sales would be even better. When you have the staffing to help the customers to make a better informed decision they will buy more, therefore covering payroll.

Only good if you're one of the favorites!

Former Employee - Management
    Former Employee - Management

I worked at TJX Companies full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Stability, Schedule, Development... Learned a lot from training seminars and meetings. Loved what I did for the most part.

Cons

Not a good place to work if you are the type to ask why, to push back, to question things. Also not 100% equal rights... they claim to be but it's a different story when you work there. If you were not one of the favorites, you were not treated equally.

Keep personal opinions out of your professional decisions.

ok

I have been working at TJX Companies full-time

Pros

Work From Home, Sick leave and weekly salary

Cons

less salary than market and no bounces......

don't pay off price salary

Sales Associate

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Idaho Falls, ID (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Idaho Falls, ID (US)

I worked at TJX Companies part-time for less than a year

Pros

I was able to learn better customer service and learn to work in a public place and be involved with the community.

Cons

The management was not the best. The main manager needed to learn not only customer service skills but also how to talk to their employees.

Learn how to talk to your employees in a professional manner without degrading them.

Just don't do it

Current Employee - Administrative Coordinator
    Current Employee - Administrative Coordinator

I have been working at TJX Companies full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

401k for FT and PT, benefits for FT after 1 year, PTO for FT and PT

Cons

pay is not equal to the amount of work, managers are very disrespectful and treat employees like they don't matter,talk bad about associates behind their backs, and seem to only care about themselves/their store.

learn how to treat your associates with respect. the company always talks about the bottom line.....well bottom line is, store associates are the ones making you rich while they continue making minimum wage and are told they aren't doing enough. store managers
    are crazy and practically eat sleep and breathe marshalls/tjmaxx etc. it's just a store people....stop stepping on people to reach your goals

Overall, good first job.

Current Employee - Customer Experience Coordinator  in  Atlanta, GA (US)
    Current Employee - Customer Experience Coordinator in Atlanta, GA (US)

I have been working at TJX Companies full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

You get to work with really nice people from my 7 years of experience. TJX companies like to promote from within which is always nice. Great benefits for full time associates.

Cons

Its low paying for the amount of work. When you do get promoted it is for only a dollar raise unless you are changing to salary instead of hourly.

Worked for TJX Companies? Contribute to the Community!