TSA (Transportation Security Administration)

www.tsa.gov
  www.tsa.gov

TSA (Transportation Security Administration) Reviews

Updated 22 October 2014
Updated 22 October 2014
2.4

TSA (Transportation Security Administration) Administrator John S. Pistole
John S. Pistole

Pros
  • Good pay for the work and good benefits (in 17 reviews)

• It is pretty good pay for a job that is non-skilled labor (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • When you first get hired with TSA, they want you to work part time (in 11 reviews)

• Limited growth potential, work-life balance is very unbalanced towards work (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

It wasn't too bad working at TSA

Current Employee - TSA Screener in Washington, DC (US)
    Current Employee - TSA Screener in Washington, DC (US)

I have been working at TSA (Transportation Security Administration) full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The $$ was good, but the shifts weren't too family friendly. The shifts killed me the most because its not routine, not even for a 3 month period. I liked getting exposed to the diverse public (except the crazies) its interesting to view some one else's perspective on security.

Cons

Having to deal with difficult passengers were a pain in the neck

Make more job courses equally available to everyone else not just your buddies or your favorites.

TSO

Current Employee - Transportation Security Officer in Gulfport, MS (US)
    Current Employee - Transportation Security Officer in Gulfport, MS (US)

I have been working at TSA (Transportation Security Administration) full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Amazing health benefit package as a federal employee. Lots of paid time off and one of the very best Healthcare benefits. If you are willing to move nationwide for for progression, you can realistically be promoted every year for quite a few years. Just keep a clean file.

Cons

Not my ideal line of work. Small airports are incredibly micromanaged.

Great job with a lot of opportunity and good people.

I worked at TSA (Transportation Security Administration)

Pros

Has a lot of opportunity once you are in, great benefits and compensation right off the bat. Some of the people there are amazing and what's better than looking at the beautiful passengers as they are waling through the airport.

Cons

Work/Life balance is poor. There is no flexibility, you either work the schedule they tell you or nothing. Everything is based on seniority so you will get stuck with bad off days and working a terrible shift.

Half

Former Employee - Transportation Security Officer in Agana Heights, GU (US)
    Former Employee - Transportation Security Officer in Agana Heights, GU (US)

I worked at TSA (Transportation Security Administration) full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The Pros are that you learn so much and meet new people all the time. Also it helped me appreciate TSA a lot more than I did when I was a passenger. The learning process was awesome, everyday was a new experience. Same procedure, but new people and new steps on them .

Cons

Challenges would be the time, but what can we do about that?!

Please never forget to applaud your employees. You may think that you do, but the employees can feel it. Don't only notice the small mistakes or any mistakes, but take time to notice the hard work they have done and continue to do. I mean, what are you without your staff?

Glass Ceiling at small airports, no room for advancement.

I have been working at TSA (Transportation Security Administration) full-time

Pros

Great government benefits.
    Health Insurance
    Retirement
    Holiday pay
    easy work just see a lot of passengers

Cons

No room for advancement
    a lot of training and you have to re-certify by testing every year.
    work procedures are always changing

listen to the little people.
    treat them well and they will work well.
    work on changing the pay scale to the GS scale.

ok

I worked at TSA (Transportation Security Administration)

Pros

TSA offered great job security

Cons

TSA work life felt too much redundancy

It has had its ups and downs, but mostly downs.

I have been working at TSA (Transportation Security Administration) full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

You cant beat the Federal Health Benefits. If you like a daily challenge of what is going to happen this is the job for you!

Cons

High stress job, very low morale on the screening floor which stems from low morale coming from upper management.

I'm a current employee of TSA working as a Behavior Detection Officer.

I have been working at TSA (Transportation Security Administration)

Pros

It's a foot in the door for other federal jobs. And we are at the forefront in the fight against terrorism within our country. People depend on you whether they acknowledge it or not.

Cons

A thankless job that requires you to be self motivated because most people don't like the work you do feeling everyone but them should be screened.

The people below you need your support and undivided attention.

A Federal Government Job That You Can Be Proud of Holding

Former Employee - Supervisory Transportation Security Officer in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I worked at TSA (Transportation Security Administration) full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Excellent benefits, competitive salary, continuous training opportunities, customer service, intensive security, and public contact. Multiple shifts, and locations, diverse workforce. Advancement opportunities and transfer to other governmant agencies possible.

Cons

Rigid and militaristic management. Manditory overtime often required. Often under staffed. Many entry level workers with undeveloped work ethics who require significant mentoring.

Managers need to be more flexible when dealing with employees. More training is needed to improve employee morale.

TSA Officer

Current Employee - Transportation Security Officer in Jamaica, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Transportation Security Officer in Jamaica, NY (US)

I have been working at TSA (Transportation Security Administration) full-time (more than an year)

Pros

For the amount that you make you don't really do terrible hard work. After 1 year you are bumped up to the next pay grade. Most of the people I work with work hard and fast, are friendly and have your back whether it be towards management or passengers and aide you in situations. A good in to the federal job system, if you have prior experience in other specialized fields you can easily apply to other agencies. Training that they offer may be useful to other careers and goals in life.

Cons

During busy seasons you can almost expect to be on mandatory overtime on certain days. The training that they offer is good but doesn't always sink in and most of the time you have to refer to persons who have been with the agency for a while to get the proper instruction. For a security organization there is too much structure around customer service and it definitely shows to the employees.

Training classes should be reworked and more in depth. Security is security and there is nothing around that, and airport security is a slow process, you shouldn't feel rushed from management to meet a certain quota of passenger throughput.

TSA (Transportation Security Administration) Photos

TSA Headquarters (Photo thanks to Flickr user jbpics4u All rights reserved.)
TSA Headquarters (Photo thanks to Flickr user jbpics4u All rights reserved.)

+ Add Photo