TSA (Transportation Security Administration)

www.tsa.gov

TSA (Transportation Security Administration) Reviews

Updated Jul 19, 2014

TSA (Transportation Security Administration) Administrator John S. Pistole

John S. Pistole

Pros
  • It is pretty good pay for a job that is non-skilled labor(in 16 reviews)

• Good pay for the work and good benefits(in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • The TSA is moving to a part-time work force in order to decrease costs and increase flexibility with scheduling(in 10 reviews)

• Too many chiefs not enough Indians-Poor management(in 8 reviews)

GOOD START FOR A FEDERAL CAREER

ProsBenefits are good even for the part time employees. Advancement for those who are well connected with management and maintain a high score on TOPS a 4 or higher.

Consmanagement micro manage in areas where it is not necessary, employees left alone will do just fine. management have a reputation of firing employees finding out later having to bring them back to their old jobs.

Consider TSA

Supervisory Transportation Security Officer (Current Employee) Madison, WI (US)

ProsCompensation is not bad, vacation and leave time are earned pretty quickly, retirement plan is excellent

ConsSchedules are difficult with family schedule.

Fulfilling

Lead Transportation Security Officer (Former Employee) Dallas, TX (US)

ProsPeople contact, feeling I was making a difference, continued government service

ConsHours, all weather requirements, shift work, 24/7 on call

Advice to Senior ManagementStop throwing away qualified personnel

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

More than a job... A Career

ProsExcellent part time career with great benefits. A career that will fill one with pride. Very rewarding...perfect part time career for a full time mother and wife.

ConsI can not say much for cons...people are people and in this position one deals with many personalities. I find it makes the day go faster.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work

Supervisory Transportion Security Officer

Supervisory Transportation Security Officer (Former Employee) Irvine, CA (US)

Prosgreat retirement is great if you make it that long

ConsThey are not really looking out for the officers

Advice to Senior ManagementFight for your officers

The job itself is easy, but the people you work make its harder than it has to be

Transportation Security Officer (Current Employee) San Jose, CA (US)

Prosyou get all of the benefits weather you are working part of full time. You can use TSA as stepping stone for other federal agencies.

ConsThere is no such thing as personal growth or recognition for work excellence. If you are a person who love to work the same thing day to day. Then this is the job for you.

Overall its a good learning experience.

Tso (Current Employee) Chicago, IL (US)

ProsI like meeting new people and that youre trying to make a difference in the world.

ConsDealing with different attitudes, moods and that some people really hate tsa.

Advice to Senior ManagementJust to sometimes put your feet in our shoes.

Transportation Security Inspector

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsAccess to federal government benefits

ConsLimited growth potential, work-life balance is very unbalanced towards work

TSO

Tso (Former Employee) Phila, PA (US)

ProsGOVERNMENT JOB/ BENEFITS /PAY TIME OFF/SICK TIME

ConsSupervisors ex military free job the don't do anything but complain they do absolutely nothing! but ruin your day!

Advice to Senior ManagementCome watch your supervisors on the floor if you can find them they always disappearing!

Should you choose this job...make sure that it is just a chapter in your life, and not your whole existence!!

TSA OFFICER (Current Employee)

ProsThe pay and benefits are decent than most for an entry level position. You can meet some really nice people and gain a really close bond with some of your coworkers.

ConsJust about everything else, if you like to pride yourself on professionalism, then look elsewhere cause there is none here. At ohare, we are always short staffed and those that do work, go home tired and cranky everyday, others laze the day away pretending to work. The promotion process is a total joke consisting of questions totally irrelevant to your experiences, ensuring that the next individual whose lead you will have to follow, is a total inept BSer. Recurrent testing is necessary to maintain your job, and as you watch good workers fail and forced into resignation, you begin to realise how expendable you are. Passengers are often aggressively opinionated about you and TSA in general, everything from smart mouthed sarcastic comments, to downright insulting comments on your personal character, you MUST have a thick skin to work here, or you will be driven to insanity!

Advice to Senior ManagementThere is nothing i could ever say that would actually improve TSA. A complete overhaul is desperately needed.

Worked for TSA (Transportation Security Administration)? Contribute to the Community!