TUI Travel Reviews

Updated 22 August 2014

3.2

TUI Travel CEO Peter Long
Peter Long

Pros
  • Being able to move around the world to different locations is fantastic (in 3 reviews)

• international working environment (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Brands and different companies under main holding company tended to be convoluted (in 4 reviews)

• Firstly location (Luton - need I say more) (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Good, but not great. Competitive benefits but offices are uninspiring and little culture.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Gatwick, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Gatwick, England (UK)

I have been working at TUI Travel full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good benefits and competitive salary, generally good atmosphere in office, nice people to work with, great internal communications.

Working hours are great.

Working for TUI Travel is working for a market leader

Cons

Hierarchical system means it is very difficult to get things done. Location of offices isn't great. Very political environment. Salary reviews are rubbish. Little company culture or social life due to location.

Internal sign off is a nightmare and slows down the rate of movement across the company

Had to leave as was not granted holiday for 18 months.

Former Employee - Holiday Advisor  in  Playa del Carmen (Mexico)
    Former Employee - Holiday Advisor in Playa del Carmen (Mexico)

I worked at TUI Travel full-time for more than a year

Pros

Location, training, availability of management, chance to learn different job skills and even another language.

Cons

I worked for 18 months with one day off a week, no weekend, no holidays and became completely exhausted- when I asked for a weeks unpaid leave it was not granted! Our manager said this was because we were not hitting target as a resort- no wonder-none of us had had a break!

I believe after I left the reps in Mexico were thereafter given holidays, please ensure this keeps happening!

Potentially great, but too many bureaucrats, too much back-stabbing/brown nosing and lack of forward thinking approach.

Current Employee - Sales Customer Service Inbound  in  Coventry, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Sales Customer Service Inbound in Coventry, England (UK)

I have been working at TUI Travel full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

It's a job, the staff are all in the same boat. The training and development is well structured and educational trips are a nice touch.

Cons

There is no 2 way avenue... It's all about metrics, scheduled adherence. Sales targets are rarely achievable and a lot of the time when staff levels are low, the targets are split between who ever is left. It's not approached sensibly, when your opinion is given to management, it is usually looked down on and you feel worthless. The company will have it their way at any cost, changes to bad practices take too long to rectify.

Take your head from where it doesn't shine and listen to your staff, give them what they want once in a while. Business is business yes, but without morale you have no engagement. It's always very difficult to get time off so that needs attention. When you take on new people, you always do the maths test. When you apply for a job within, you always have to do all the stupid tests again (even though you had to be able to do them when you first started). Why do you make people take the tests again? You know they are intelligent/arrhythmic as they had to pass to start employment with TUI. There are lots of things that are back to front. I suggest that when a staff member isn't happy with something or a decision their manager has made, that manager takes up to the director level... since a lot of the time, the bureaucrats within will say there is nothing more that can be done, when they are lying because they can't be bothered to help you (or they have made a decision that goes against the company values or is ethically challenged). Stop asking people for their personal information all the time too, you have asked for it a number of times. I could go on and on and on and on.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Bullies

I worked at TUI Travel

Pros

All positives were completely and utterly crushed......

Cons

Line managers bully their staff as they too are bullied. So you cannot approach anyone for help to prevent this as those above rule in a similar way.
    Targets reached so they find something else to shout about. Humiliating, upsetting, destroying, disaster of an experience.
    I quit a good job to join Tui and feel gutted I was duped from day one. False promises of what's on the horizon.
    Absolutely NO employee care whatsoever.

If you wish to keep staff and save on training costs. Treat them as human beings. Value their work, educate if they fail. Praise often..

Good company name, but lost their way in world of Retail

I worked at TUI Travel part-time for more than 10 years

Pros

opportunities are with this company to progress, and as a company Tui are vibrant and focussed for todays world, they are leading the way in travel with excellent Hotels and service.

Cons

The Retail enviroment is wrapped up with lots of pressure on staff. leaving them feeling exhausted , largely due to many years of cutting down staff in retail due to todays demanding world of profit, making our staff in retail feeling lots of pressure to meet company standards and left feeling under valued .

Employees are the core of the business, keeping them valued is making their job more enjoyable, Im afraid to say that as a company so big their only focus is the big numbers and their is no concern for base level yet all contributing to the same company in some form or another.

Great experience for young people looking to work abroad

Former Employee - Chalet Host  in  Le Freney-d'Oisans (France)
    Former Employee - Chalet Host in Le Freney-d'Oisans (France)

I worked at TUI Travel full-time for less than a year

Pros

Provides the opportunity to work with like-minded people in some of the best winter and summer holiday destinations in Europe and beyond.
    Necessities ranging from accommodation to insurance are arranged for you prior to departure so you don't have to worry.
    Interacting with a wide range of guests allows you to make a lot of new friends.

Cons

Often work long, hard hours and following the deductions receive very little income. Not a problem if you are are happy just about breaking even but definitely not a money maker!

Ensure in-resort managers make the effort to integrate with their team. The knowledge that you are working for a manager that you like and who cares about you provides inspiration when the going gets tough.

Very good experience overall but recent changes make it difficult to consider as a long-term career.

Former Employee - Resort Team Leader  in  Fethiye, Mugla (Turkey)
    Former Employee - Resort Team Leader in Fethiye, Mugla (Turkey)

I worked at TUI Travel full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

You get the feeling that you are an important part of the company, no matter what role you are in. Management make sure that you get recognised and rewarded for good work and there are always opportunities to progress in the company. There is a great lifestyle away from work and you get to see and experience some amazing places around the world, not to mention all of the people you will meet along the way.

Cons

The job can be quite demanding and in some resorts you can find yourself really stretched due to staff shortages. Some managers will get stuck in and help out with any task but others can be very distant and leave some team members neglected.

Make sure that management are prepared to help out at lower levels when required.

Poor Company to work for!!!!!

Former Employee - Marketing Executive
    Former Employee - Marketing Executive

I worked at TUI Travel full-time for less than a year

Pros

I'm not quite sure the pros of the marketing department. However, travel industry in general is interesting.

Cons

-Firstly location (Luton - need I say more)?
    -In the interview they talked highly of the last minute, (heavily) discounted holidays, only to find out they're impossible to get
    -Management was lacking in leadership skills, developing the employees and delegating tasks
    -the food was average
    -not very creative in terms of testing new ideas
    -VERY unfriendly/cliquey department. If you've not been friends with the team for years or you don't live near them then any type of social conversation is out of the picture
    -VERY high turnover rate for marketing executives...this is down to the poor management styles and leadership. They don't care to help progressing and growing their employees.

Unorganised, Under Paid, High Pressure

Former Employee - Recruitment Advisor
    Former Employee - Recruitment Advisor

I worked at TUI Travel full-time for more than a year

Pros

Cheap Holidays (if you can get them)

Cons

High Pressure and Under Paid, temp contracts

Better Organisation with regards to job positions, offer more money for the work being done - ensure staff are on permanent contracts rather than temporary contracts

Meh

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Crawley, West Sussex, South East England, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Crawley, West Sussex, South East England, England (UK)

I worked at TUI Travel full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Very good staff
    - Solid expertise and understanding of the industry

Cons

- Poor salary
    - Poor benefits
    - Lack of internal promotions
    - Incredibly erratic and knee jerk reaction to almost everything
    - Constant reshuffle of upper management
    - Massive blame game culture

Improve salary, reward staff for hard work, be more measured in how you react when things aren't going well.

Worked for TUI Travel? Contribute to the Community!