TUI Travel

Be The First To
Add Photos

TUI Travel CEO Peter Long

Peter Long

Pros
  • Being able to move around the world to different locations is fantastic (in 3 reviews)

• international working environment (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Brands and different companies under main holding company tended to be convoluted (in 4 reviews)

• Firstly location (Luton - need I say more) (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Bullies

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsAll positives were completely and utterly crushed......

ConsLine managers bully their staff as they too are bullied. So you cannot approach anyone for help to prevent this as those above rule in a similar way.
    Targets reached so they find something else to shout about. Humiliating, upsetting, destroying, disaster of an experience.
    I quit a good job to join Tui and feel gutted I was duped from day one. False promises of what's on the horizon.
    Absolutely NO employee care whatsoever.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you wish to keep staff and save on training costs. Treat them as human beings. Value their work, educate if they fail. Praise often..

Good company name, but lost their way in world of Retail

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosopportunities are with this company to progress, and as a company Tui are vibrant and focussed for todays world, they are leading the way in travel with excellent Hotels and service.

ConsThe Retail enviroment is wrapped up with lots of pressure on staff. leaving them feeling exhausted , largely due to many years of cutting down staff in retail due to todays demanding world of profit, making our staff in retail feeling lots of pressure to meet company standards and left feeling under valued .

Advice to Senior ManagementEmployees are the core of the business, keeping them valued is making their job more enjoyable, Im afraid to say that as a company so big their only focus is the big numbers and their is no concern for base level yet all contributing to the same company in some form or another.

Great experience for young people looking to work abroad

Chalet Host (Former Employee) Les Deux Alpes (France)

ProsProvides the opportunity to work with like-minded people in some of the best winter and summer holiday destinations in Europe and beyond.
    Necessities ranging from accommodation to insurance are arranged for you prior to departure so you don't have to worry.
    Interacting with a wide range of guests allows you to make a lot of new friends.

ConsOften work long, hard hours and following the deductions receive very little income. Not a problem if you are are happy just about breaking even but definitely not a money maker!

Advice to Senior ManagementEnsure in-resort managers make the effort to integrate with their team. The knowledge that you are working for a manager that you like and who cares about you provides inspiration when the going gets tough.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Very good experience overall but recent changes make it difficult to consider as a long-term career.

Resort Team Leader (Former Employee) Fethiye, Mugla (Turkey)

ProsYou get the feeling that you are an important part of the company, no matter what role you are in. Management make sure that you get recognised and rewarded for good work and there are always opportunities to progress in the company. There is a great lifestyle away from work and you get to see and experience some amazing places around the world, not to mention all of the people you will meet along the way.

ConsThe job can be quite demanding and in some resorts you can find yourself really stretched due to staff shortages. Some managers will get stuck in and help out with any task but others can be very distant and leave some team members neglected.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure that management are prepared to help out at lower levels when required.

Poor Company to work for!!!!!

Marketing Executive (Former Employee)

ProsI'm not quite sure the pros of the marketing department. However, travel industry in general is interesting.

Cons-Firstly location (Luton - need I say more)?
    -In the interview they talked highly of the last minute, (heavily) discounted holidays, only to find out they're impossible to get
    -Management was lacking in leadership skills, developing the employees and delegating tasks
    -the food was average
    -not very creative in terms of testing new ideas
    -VERY unfriendly/cliquey department. If you've not been friends with the team for years or you don't live near them then any type of social conversation is out of the picture
    -VERY high turnover rate for marketing executives...this is down to the poor management styles and leadership. They don't care to help progressing and growing their employees.

Meh

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Crawley, West Sussex, South East England, England (UK)

Pros- Very good staff
    - Solid expertise and understanding of the industry

Cons- Poor salary
    - Poor benefits
    - Lack of internal promotions
    - Incredibly erratic and knee jerk reaction to almost everything
    - Constant reshuffle of upper management
    - Massive blame game culture

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove salary, reward staff for hard work, be more measured in how you react when things aren't going well.

Unorganised, Under Paid, High Pressure

Recruitment Advisor (Former Employee)

ProsCheap Holidays (if you can get them)

ConsHigh Pressure and Under Paid, temp contracts

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter Organisation with regards to job positions, offer more money for the work being done - ensure staff are on permanent contracts rather than temporary contracts

Great fun until it isn't any more...

Seasonal Worker (Former Employee) Innsbruck (Austria)

ProsTravel, living in wonderful locations, the chance to live in a completely different culture and have a life that isn't possible in the UK even for a season.

ConsManagement are a bit cliquey in the country I was in. I had wonderful managers in my winter roles, but a specific manager in the summer was not honest with me until she realised that I had an intention of continuing to work for the company for a longer time, at which point she made clear she didn't like me and thought I couldn't do my job despite me having been there for a year and a half already. At this point the whole experience took a turn for the worse and the enjoyment disappeared. It is impossible to continue working in a country where you know very few people when management are making your life hell, although other managers were very supportive it was never in front of the manager in question so at to not disturb the clique.

Advice to Senior ManagementSeasonal staff would stay more if their PDRs were taken seriously and dealt with honestly, the room for growth in the seasonal industry is great for those that want to utilise it, but not telling staff how you really think they are doing helps no-one.

Empowering the Individuals

Assistant Business Partner (Current Employee) Crawley, West Sussex, South East England, England (UK)

ProsMarket leader, Working with all kind of characters at office and across the borders, get to see the world

Consnot enough perks like other travel companies offer their staff, which can be understandable by amount of staff TUI travel have in compare to others

Advice to Senior ManagementUnderstand the meaning of Flexi hours

Good Fun

Overseas Holiday Advisor (Former Employee) Salou (Spain)

ProsSun and more often than not, sea and sand....The initial training is fantastic as soon as you get to your destination or even if you have training at a different venue. Once you then get to your resort you get a fantastic overview of the whole resort and all the excursions you are going to sell as you get to go on them all before you start selling!
    Once you are out in your resort and within your team you become a new family and everyone is there to help each other but also to have fun with work.
    You get to meet some fantastic people who can even be your guests. You get to know people very well over a short space of time as you are constantly seeing and chatting to them.
    Being able to move around the world to different locations is fantastic. If you get all the right results throughout the season you can also often get to choose where you really want to go for the following season(s).

ConsThe living arrangements can often be less than expected. You can often be overlooked for the good work that you put in and rewards that are supposed to be given are often overlooked and forgotten.
    Also some management can not listen to your needs and preferences when you have a certain type of work you would like to do in a resort they may not listen and not give you your preferences.
    The caps on commission can be disheartening as when you hit the top bracket you have no incentive to keep on going above as there is little to no incentive to do so.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen more to your staff as often if preferences are given to staff they can be much happier and work much better. Also living accommodation should be looked at in a lot of resorts to check if they are still adequate for modern living as many I have been placed in are not!
    HA commission should match that of the 2wentys reps as there would be much more incentive to not stop at 20% above target as there is only £10 more per 10% above - There is no point trying to get any higher which is a poor way to run the business as the more money we bring in even if you do give us more money the more you will earn.

Worked for TUI Travel? Contribute to the Community!