Takata

Updated 10 August 2014

3.1

Takata President Shigehisa Takada
Shigehisa Takada

Good to get your feet wet in the industry, but jump ship if you can.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Auburn Hills, MI (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Auburn Hills, MI (US)

Pros

A good learning experience. Good starter job for a young student or recent graduate. Not a career unless you know upper management or kiss enough behind to move up.

Cons

Overworked and underpaid. Every other negative review on here has it spot-on. Being a jack of all trades and performing the work of your incompetent program manager or sales team or test personnel becomes a regular requirement. Nepotism runs rampant. Little to no growth opportunity at the company. Those that don't deserve promotions get them, and those that work themselves to death get no recognition. Engineers (at least in my team) regularly work late under high stress and no sign of relief. Takata cannot hire enough support to replace the numerous employees that leave for incredibly higher paying and higher rewarding opportunities. Uncompetitive workplace, no motivation or reward for saving the company millions in engineering cost saving changes.

Encourage more feedback from employees, listen to their concerns, and do something to help! Happy and motivated employees = better products!

Good Potential, But Tentative Approach

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Pontiac, MI (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pontiac, MI (US)

Pros

Interesting challenges related to automotive safety electronics. Smaller company feel, with the financial backing of larger company. Good people. Potential to achieve a lot. Good place to learn best practices in the automotive electronics industry.

Cons

Company is trying to compete with well established automotive electronics companies (TRW, Bosch) in advanced driver assistance safety systems. Not always willing to put the resources into a project to be able to compete. Has had a series of layoffs over the past 10 years during times when they should have been investing for the future. Limited opportunity for advancement because of minimal success and essentially flat to negative growth.

technician

Former Employee - Technician  in  Moses Lake, WA (US)
    Former Employee - Technician in Moses Lake, WA (US)

Pros

benefits, interesting to learn manufacturing

Cons

management is overworked and act like irritable, blaming idiots some times. Well everyone is over worked and undercompensated.

Take more time off and enjoy life, it doesn't last long.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great work environment for 21 Years

Former Employee - Production Worker  in  Aschaffenburg (Germany)
    Former Employee - Production Worker in Aschaffenburg (Germany)

Pros

nice Co-workers and Supervisors, good Pay

Cons

meeting the standards of the company but once you get trained right then you can do it

Good company

Pros

Lots of experience the products are safety related so the specifications requirements and responsibilities are very high. The company has a lots of different customers so there a lot to learn.

Cons

Slow growth i have been in the company for 8 years and i have seen a lot of good hard working people to stay the same or have a slow growth due to management

More focused on the employees

It's mediocre at best.

Current Employee - Product Engineer  in  Auburn Hills, MI (US)
    Current Employee - Product Engineer in Auburn Hills, MI (US)

Pros

If you'd like an engineering position that doesn't require much engineering background this is the job for you.
    If you're bad at math equations this is the job for you, I haven't had to use a single one from college yet.
    Relatively straight forward job.

Cons

Poor support from upper management, after having skip level meetings nothing came of it.
    Not enough designer support, releasing changes sometimes takes months.
    Poor communication between engineering, the plants, program management, and management.

Please provide better support for the engineers. Not being able to make changes, receive parts, or communicate between groups makes working very difficult.

Fun if you enjoy the "chaos and heroes" environment

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Farmington Hills, MI (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Farmington Hills, MI (US)

Pros

Provide whatever resources are required to get the job done

Cons

Old school development environment can tiring unless you thrive

Ease off on treating employees as slackers
    Institutionalize 21st century processes

Interesting line of work.

Pros

I've learned a lot through on the job training and being willing to make a mistake and learn from it.

Cons

There could be more innovation. Pay could be better.

Reward your employees more. Don't be afraid of innovation, it could actually do the company good to move with the times.

Good Place to Work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Auburn Hills, MI (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Auburn Hills, MI (US)

Pros

Working with experienced professionals that are willing to offer insight and knowledge to other employees. Opportunity to expand current job role.

Cons

The company struggles with organizational and global development. Unclear processes or explanations.

Give clear explanations and expectations. Show company support for all programs, areas, and products. Follow through.

I miss my old job

Former Employee - Account Manager  in  Auburn Hills, MI (US)
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Auburn Hills, MI (US)

Pros

Great boss, great people. I was lucky enough to be in sales, and could basically set my own hours. Very fulfilling to see my product in production, saving lives. I felt I was underpaid because I didn't get commission on top of my salary. I now work somewhere that pays commission, but they don't do anything to help us get more sales!! I miss Takata.

Cons

LOTS of work... Biggest supplier of seatbelts in the world, and doing it with 1/3 less people than the nearest competitor. Count on 45-50 hours per week.

Allow your Directors to hire more people. I hope this has changed since I left last year, but we couldn't get approval to hire more sales people.

Worked for Takata? Contribute to the Community!